- Text Size +

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 11





“Mr. Riley, do you like porridge?” Bree asked, as she sat on an upside down pail and watched Riley cleaning some of the parts of her piano.

“Yes, as it happens, I do. Why do you ask?”

“When I was in England, there was this lady who was the housekeeper where we stayed. She made the bestest porridge I ever tasted,” Bree said sincerely.

“The bestest?”

“Yep.”

Riley chuckled. “When were you in England, little lady?”

“After Christmas. My Daddy had an art show over there. We saw lots of good stuff.”

“I bet you did,” Riley said thoughtfully. “I always thought I’d like to travel, but … suffice it to say, I never did.”

“You should, Mr. Riley. There’s lots of things to see and do.”

“What did you do while you were there? You told me about some of your trip yesterday.”

“We went up in this really, really big ferris wheel called The London Eye. It was kind of scary at first, but then I really liked it. You could see everything from up there.”

“That sounds exciting.”

“I told you we saw these old rocks called Stonehinge. I think that’s the name of them.”

“That would probably be Stonehenge,” Riley chuckled.

“Yeah, that’s it. They were pretty boring.”

“Boring?”

“Yeah, who wants to look at old rocks?”

“They’re very famous old rocks,” Riley replied. “Some people think they have magical properties.”

“Magic.”

“Yep.”

“Nobody told me that,” Bree said rather indignantly.

“Do you know the story of King Arthur and Merlin?” Bree shook her head. “It’s a good story. You should ask your daddies to read it to you.”

“I can read it myself,” Bree said matter of factly.

“Of course you can,” Riley laughed. “I should have known that.”

“Anyway, I’m hungry,” Bree informed Riley. “I’d really like some of Hudson’s porridge.”

“Porridge? Not cookies?” Riley asked. This little girl never ceased to amaze him.

“Cookies are good, but porridge is better.”

“Maybe your daddy could make you some.”

“He does make it, but it’s not quite the same as Hudson’s,” Bree said with a sigh.

“Maybe a cookie would hit the spot in its place.”

“Maybe,” Bree agreed as she stood up. “Do you want a cookie?”

“Sure, if there’s one going,” Riley said with a smile.

“I’ll see.”

Bree ran out of the shed towards the house. Beau bounded across the yard when he saw her. He had been lying in the shade watching his human boy and his red haired father playing catch.

“You want a cookie too, Beau?” Bree asked as she reached the door of the sun porch.

Beau gave a little woof as he followed her inside.

Justin was painting in the middle of the sun porch. Bree approached quietly. She knew her father could concentrate to the exclusion of everything, and everyone, else.

“Daddy,” she said softly so as not to startle him. “Me and Mr. Riley and Beau want cookies.”

“Hm,” Justin said as he continued to paint. “Ask Dada.”

Bree heaved a sigh. No cookies were forthcoming from this source. “Could I have porridge instead?”

“Ask Dada.”

With a heavier sigh, Bree started up the stairs to her Dada’s office.

“What’s up, Squirt?” Brian asked when she came through his office door.

“Me and Mr. Riley and Beau want cookies. I really want porridge, but Daddy’s painting and told me to ask you. I really want Hudson’s porridge, but Daddy’s would have been okay. So now I want cookies, since nobody is going to make me porridge,” Bree said as she finally took a breath and crossed her arms on her chest waiting for her Dada to hop to it.

Brian chuckled. “I could make you porridge.”

“No, Dada,” Bree replied shaking her head. “You make good bacon and eggs and pancakes and stuff, but your porridge isn’t so good.”

“Is that right?” Brian asked with a smirk.

“Yes, Dada. ‘Member when you tried to make it. You had to throw out the pot.”

“Trust you to remember that,” Brian laughed.

“Cookies, Dada,” she reminded him.

“Yes, Commander Squirt. Coming right up,” Brian said as he pushed back his chair and stood up.

Bree followed her father down the spiral staircase and into the kitchen.

“I think Auntie Emm left some cookies in the cookie jar,” Brian said as he lifted the lid.

“Yum,” Bree said.

“Would you like milk with them?”

“Yes, please, and don’t forget some for Mr. Riley.”

“Of course not. Would he like coffee with his?’

“Um, I forgot to ask.”

“I’ll pour him some just in case,” Brian said as he took a mug out of the cupboard, also one for himself.

Once the cookies were on a plate and drinks were provided, Bree reminded her father, “Beau wants a cookie too.”

Beau had been waiting patiently beside the counter. He gave a little woof to reinforce what Bree said.

“Here you go, boy,” Brian said fishing out a Milkbone from the bag in Beau’s drawer. He tossed it to the big dog who caught it easily. “Bring it outside, Beau,” he ordered and Beau headed for the sun porch door.

Brian picked up the tray of cookies and drinks. Bree ran ahead to open the door for him. Beau had already used his doggie door and was chewing his bone in the shade of the big tree.

“Nice work, Sunshine,” Brian commented, as he passed Justin and his easel.

“Hm,” Justin replied.

Brian smiled as he continued to the door and followed Bree out to the shed.

“Cookie break!” Brian called as he entered the shed.

“Sounds good,” Riley replied setting down the part he had been working on and wiping his hands on a rag. “Pull up a pail.”

Bree sat down on her stool and Brian handed her a cookie and her glass of milk. Riley pulled his stool over and took a cookie and a mug of coffee. Brian sat down on the pail next to Bree, his long legs up around his neck or so it seemed. He took a sip of his coffee.

“You don’t look very comfortable there,” Riley chuckled.

“Now that you mention it, I’m not. I think we have a few chairs that we could use,” Brian said standing back up. He went outside and grabbed one of the lawn chairs that they had used for the barbecue. “Much better,” he said as he sat back down in it.

“These cookies are delicious,” Riley said with his mouth full.

“But not as good as Hudson’s porridge,” Bree stated.

“How did you get onto the subject of Hudson?” Brian asked, curious.

“Bree was telling me some more about her trip to England. She seemed to really have enjoyed it.”

“Except for Stonehenge,” Bree said, making sure she said the word correctly.

Brian chuckled, remembering the tired Bree who only wanted to sleep that day. “Have you traveled much, Riley?” Brian asked.

“Nope, hardly at all. Had no one to travel with,” he added sadly.

“Maybe you and Danny could plan a trip,” Brian suggested. “You seemed to hit it off really well at the barbecue.”

“Danny was telling me how he was glad not to be traveling anymore, so I doubt that would work.”

Brian noted that Riley looked a little sad as he made that statement. He might have to do a little matchmaking of his own. Mentally Brian slapped himself. He hadn’t really thought that, had he? What had he become?

“Cookie, Dada,” Bree prodded.

“Sure,” Brian replied and absent-mindedly handed her the plate to take another cookie. Bree happily did so, while her father seemed distracted.

“I was thinking, Miss Briana, that it might be nice to send this Hudson lady a letter telling her how much you liked her porridge and that you miss it,” Riley suggested.

“Oh, yes!” Bree agreed enthusiastically.

“We could email her,” Brian said coming back into the present. “It’s faster.”

“But not nearly as gratifying,” Riley said. “I keep a little folder of all the handwritten notes I’ve received from people whose pianos I’ve resurrected. They make you feel good. When you open the envelope and read their heartfelt thanks, written in their own hand on lovely stationery, there’s … nothing better. Almost nothing better,” he amended.

“I want to write a letter to Hudson,” Bree said to her father. Riley’s words had made her see that Hudson might be very pleased to get it.

“Okay, Squirt, let’s go do that, and leave Riley to get his work done.”

Riley smiled as he watched Brian pick up the tray and Bree follow him out of the shed. He couldn’t help but think what his family might have been like … if AIDS had never happened.



*****



Brian was sitting on the great rock by the stream. It was so quiet that he felt like he was the only one left in the world. The crunch of work boots on the path broke through Brian’s reverie.

“Am I disturbing you?” Riley asked. He was taking a break from his labors.

It was about ten in the morning on the Monday following the holiday weekend. Gus and Ray, looking very dapper in their business casual clothes, had left with Bobby to go to Harrisburg. Bobby would drop off Gus at Part Deux then he and Ray would go to Bobby’s office for the day.

John took the kids to day camp then went over to the school construction site. The Anderson Construction Company was getting close to finishing the new school and athletic center. John wanted to be on hand to personally supervise the progress. Gordon stayed in Pittsburgh, supervising their other projects.

Justin was almost finished with his “Then and Now” paintings and sketches. He was bringing in his completed work to the gallery. He had a few more pieces to work on and needed the room. Plus Sidney wanted Lindsay to prepare for the opening.

Molly and her family had taken the week off to spend in their cottage and to recover from their time spent with Sharon. Emmett, Drew and Richie were spending time in their own cottage.

That left just Brian and Riley.

“Not at all. I was just enjoying the quiet.”

“It is remarkably quiet out here but you seem to enjoy it for a city boy.”

“I do. I’ve had my fill of noise. What about you?”

“I can see myself in a small place out in the middle of nowhere when I retire or in the off season. I wouldn’t mind tuning pianos as a hobby, maybe giving a lesson or two.” Brian perked up.

“I’d hire you to give Bree lessons. She already likes you.”

“She’s a very special little girl but I’m happy the way things are.”

“Are you sure? I can make it worth your while,” Brian said turning on the old Brian Kinney charm.

Riley laughed. “I know all about you, Stud. I may be old but I’m not dead. I’m flattered but when I’m finished with the spinet, I’ll give you a few names.”

“And they’d come all the way out here?”

“One young woman that I know of lives not too far from here. But let’s concentrate on getting the spinet tuned before we do anything else.”

“Fine with me. I can use some more coffee. How about you?”

“I can never have enough coffee,” Riley said with a grin.

“A man after my own heart,” Brian quipped as he hopped down from his perch on the rock. “WHOA!” Brian yelled as he did some weird sidesteps and then made a running leap onto the path.

“Okay. Was that a ritual you all do when you get down from the rock?” Riley asked. He was a little dumbfounded at Brian’s dance.

Brian pointed back toward the rock. Something moved; Brian jumped back. “Is that my phone? I better get it, could be important. Meet you in the kitchen,” Brian said as he made a hasty retreat.

Riley crept closer to the rock to find out what spooked the great Brian Kinney. A pair of large startled dark eyes peered up at Riley. “Well, hi there, little fella,” Riley addressed the frog like an old friend. “You sure know how to light a fire under the boss man,” he chuckled.

The frog, not impressed with the accolades, hopped toward the stream. With one great leap, the frog landed in the water with a loud splash.

“Have a nice day!” Riley said as he turned to go back to the cottage for his coffee.



*****



“We’re a smaller office than Kinnetik; however, we pull in almost the same amount of annual revenue,” Scott explained during the first day of orientation for the interns.

Unlike Vance’s agency, Kinnetik offered a paid internship for the summer. During the school year, the time spent at Kinnetik was part of the college curriculum. Gus was the only one with prior experience interning for July. He smiled smugly at the familiar orientation packet. ‘Piece of cake,’ Gus thought.



*****



“Um, hello? It’s Todd!”

“Come on in, we’re the last cottage on the right,” Brian instructed as he pressed the release button for the gate. Todd heard the buzzer and watched as the cast iron gate slowly swung open. Carefully, Todd drove his truck around the drive then up the lane.

Brian watched as Todd pulled his truck up in front of Edna’s Treasures and parked. “Have any trouble finding us?” Brian said as he held out his hand to Todd to shake hands.

“None at all. Your directions were very precise. This is amazing,” Todd exclaimed as he got out of his truck and took a look around. “Are all these cottages designed by the same person?”

“Yes and no.”

“Do I have to ask?”

“Why don’t we take a little tour and I’ll explain.”

“Sounds good to me. Does that tour include the name of the landscaper?”

“Yes and no,” Brian snarked then slowly took Todd on a walk back down the lane.

“So you did the planting in your own garden...”

“With some help from my daughter,” Brian added.

“And you designed the gardens for Emmett and Molly but had a landscaper do the actual planting.”

“Yes.”

“So what do you need me for?” Todd asked, not fully understanding what Brian was offering.

“Playing with flowers isn’t the only thing a good landscaper does. When my lawn service comes to mow and edge the lawn I always feel I have to go out and do it over. I know I’m anal about some things, excuse the pun, but if I hire someone to do a job, I don’t expect to do it over myself.”

“I understand. That was one of the reasons my own business couldn’t compete with the larger firms. I pride myself in doing the job right the first time. However in Chicago, doing it faster got the contract rather than being meticulous.”

“Let me buy you a cup of coffee. I may just solve both our problems,” Brian invited Todd into the cottage.



*****



“Honey, I’m hooome!” Justin announced as he came through the front door a few hours later.

“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian called out. “In the kitchen with Todd.”

“Hi Todd, how’s it going?” Justin automatically asked as he held out his hand.

“Fine,” Todd responded then they all chuckled.

“Where’s Riley?” Justin asked as he put his messenger bag on the counter then dug into the refrigerator for something to drink.

“In the shed,” Brian answered.

“Is he making progress?” Justin asked. He poured himself some juice.

“According to him, he’s making very good progress. He figures a few more days and he’ll give us some recommendations for instructors.”

“Great! Bree’ll be so excited to hear that. So, is Todd interested in your proposal?”

“Todd is very interested,” Todd replied with a grin. “We were just about ready to go check out the garden center. Would you join us?”

“No, you guys go ahead. I got an idea in my head for another painting as I was driving home. I want to sketch it out on canvas. Bri, would you pick up the kids from camp on your way home?”

“Yes, sir, General Sunshine, sir!” Brian replied with a salute.

“Get outta here,” Justin commanded, waving a dish towel at his silly spouse.

“Come on Todd, time to amscray,” Brian suggested as he led his new business partner out the front door.