- Text Size +

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 15






“Goodbye, Mr. Riley,” Bree said sadly, holding up her arms for Riley to give her a hug.

“Goodbye, little one,” Riley said fighting back tears as he bent down and hugged the little girl.

“I’ll miss you,” Bree whispered in his ear.

“I’ll miss you too. I enjoyed having you sit on your pail and talk to me while I was working on your piano.”

Bree nodded in acknowledgment that she felt the same way, as Riley released her from the warm hug.

“It’s been great having you here, Riley,” Justin said extending his hand to shake.

“The old spinet couldn’t have been in better hands,” John said doing the same.

“I’ll miss you too,” Patrick chimed in.

“Me too,” came from Gus, Ray, and Bobby.

Riley turned and walked toward his truck. He was carrying his tools and set them in the large tool box in the back of his truck.

Brian caught up to him. “Riley, I wanted to personally thank you for everything.”

“It’s not necessary, Brian. I enjoyed my time here.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian said. “I’m going to miss our coffee breaks together. Make sure Danny brings you up here every now and then.”

“I’ll be sure to tell him that,” Riley chuckled. “He may not like me horning in on his family.”

“Tell him that’s tough. You already are part of our family.”

Riley laughed heartily. “I’ll be sure to do that.”

“And don’t forget you’re always welcome here,” Brian added as Riley got in his truck.

With a nod to Brian and a wave to the rest of the family, Riley started his truck and headed down the lane.

“We manage to find some quality people who come to Edna’s Treasures,” Bobby said as Brian walked back to the group.

“I don’t want Riley to gooooo,” Bree whined.

“None of us do, short stuff,” Gus said, “but that’s life.”

“Then I don’t like life,” Bree declared stamping her little foot.

“Not much you can do about it, Squirt,” Brian said as he picked her up. “How about some ice cream to take away the hurt?”

“Yay! Ice cream!” Bree reacted.

“How quickly they forget,” John said with a chuckle as they all made their way back into the house for their frosty treat.



*****



“Pop, what kind of tires did your Jeep have?” Gus asked while he was eating his ice cream from a big bowl.

“I don’t know. Black ones.”

Gus laughed. “I meant the brand, like Michelin or Yokohama?”

“How the fuck should I know?”

“Most men look at the tires on their vehicles,” Gus informed him.

“In case you haven’t noticed, Sonny Boy, I am not most men.”

“Okay, sorry, Pop.”

“You should ask Emmett,” Brian suggested.

“Emmett?”

“Yes, he once changed a tire on the Jeep. Maybe he’d remember what brand of tire he was changing.”

“When the hell did Emmett change one of your tires?” Justin asked.

“When you ran away to New York and I was coming after … my money,” Brian said smugly.

“Oh? I never knew that.”

“I don’t think it ever came up.”

“Something else did, as I remember,” Justin said with a suggestive look at his husband.

“You ran away to New York?” Gus asked his eyes very large at the thought.

“I was going to become a dancer in Chelsea.”

“Or a rent boy in Soho,” Brian supplied. Justin gave him a glare.

“What’s a rent boy, Dada?” Bree asked as she licked the ice cream off her spoon.

Brian groaned audibly. “Um…it’s somebody that has trouble making enough money to pay his rent,” he said trying to keep a straight face and look serious.

Gus and Ray chuckled.

“What’s funny?” Bree asked.

“Why don’t you play us something on your piano?” Brian suggested in order to change the subject.

“No, Dada.”

“What do you mean, no?” Brian asked his daughter. “We just spent a lot of money and Riley worked for days to get that piano sounding and looking good, and now you don’t want to play it?”

“I want to learn to play it properly. Riley and Unca Drew had to show me where to put my fingers all the time, and there are lots more keys than on my pink piano. I want to know what to do with them.”

“Oh,” Brian said giving Bree’s words some thought.

“Maybe we should contact that Faith woman that Riley recommended,” Justin suggested.

“I thought you didn’t want to take lessons until you were done with camp,” Brian reminded Bree.

“But now I have my bee-you-tee-ful piano that sounds reeeeeal good,” Bree said with a big smile.

“So you want us to talk to the piano lady?” Justin asked his daughter.

“Yes, Daddy. I don’t have to start right away, but soon,” she said hopefully.

“Then I guess we can give her a call,” Brian agreed.

“So, Pop, about those tires on your Jeep…” Gus said.



*****



“Auntie Emm,” Gus said into the phone, “Pop tells me that you once changed a tire on his Jeep.”

“Yes, is there something wrong with that?” Emmett asked. He couldn’t understand why Gus Kinney would be calling him about something that happened practically before he was born.

“No, nothing wrong. I was talking to Dad about tires on cars. You see, Part Deux is pitching a campaign to a tire company and I wondered what kind of tires his Jeep had, because he might get me a Jeep for my birthday, and he said he couldn’t remember what the tires were. He never pays attention to stuff like that, but he said you might remember so I thought if I called you, you could tell me and that might help in my research. Do you remember?”

“Goodyear.”

“Huh?”

“I said the tires were Goodyear.”

“Oh, thanks.”

“I’m glad you decided to take a breath or I might have forgotten what they were by the time you stopped talking,” Emmett said with a laugh.

“Oh, sorry,” Gus replied.

“I’m just teasing you, sweetie. And being a Kinney, you should never apologize.”

“I’m not my Dad,” Gus said seriously. He remembered hearing about his father’s ‘no apologies, no regrets’ mantra. Gus didn’t believe in that philosophy. He knew there were lots of times when it was prudent and just plain necessary to apologize.

“I was teasing again, Gus. I know you’re becoming your own man. I’m really happy to see that you’ve inherited some of your father’s good traits and not many of his bad traits.”

“Pop has bad traits?” Gus asked and then giggled.

“Now who’s pulling whose leg?” Emmett asked.

“Just having a little fun.”

“So, does knowing the tires were Goodyear help you at all?” Emmett asked.

“Not really. The company we’re pitching to is Pro Comp.”

“I never heard of them.”

“They make a lot of replacement tires.”

“Still never heard of them.”

“I guess that’s part of the reason they need a new advertising campaign,” Gus said.

“You could be right about that.”

“Anyway, thanks for the info,” Gus said. “I can hardly believe you were the one to change the tire.”

“People always underestimate me,” Emmett said seriously.

“Someday I’d like to hear the whole story of that road trip.”

“It all started with Daphne and Mysterious Marilyn,” Emmett said as he remembered.

“I said someday, Auntie Emm. Good night and thanks,” Gus said before cutting the connection.

“Yeah, someday,” Emmett replied to the dead line. He had a faraway look in his eye as he set the phone down.



*****



Over the next couple of weeks, Gus continued to prove himself the ‘belle’ of Part Deux. Every time Gus offered his ‘young’ input, the campaign turned into gold for the company. Gus crowed with every emailed report card that his father received. It would appear that Prince Kinney reigned supreme amongst the branch’s interns. The family was duly impressed; it was only the older Kinney keeping his opinions to himself with a wait and see attitude. If Gus was aware of his father’s reservations, he kept the knowledge to himself. Justin, knowing Brian so well, noticed his spouse’s doubts. However, Justin knew better than to question Brian when it came to Kinnetik matters. He too, kept his opinions to himself.

Raymond had a different approach to his internship. Being the sole intern and working exclusively for Bobby, Ray’s contributions were less flamboyant but no less important. His methodical research techniques were a boon to Bobby and to their clients. Bobby was sad to see Ray’s internship coming to an end. Bobby made sure Ray understood that he’d always have a position with Bobby, and he gave Ray a letter of recommendation if Ray chose to pursue law as his academic major.

As Gus’ excitement mounted, looking forward to proving himself in New York, Ray became more and more anxious. His brother, Jeff was keeping an ear to the ground, so to speak, keeping tabs on Wayne, Ray’s stalker. Wayne had returned to New York with his tail between his legs shortly after the Pittsburgh PRIDE, but that didnĀ’t stop him from honing his seduction skills at the New York PRIDE. According to Jeff, Wayne was sowing his wild oats all over the neighborhood, gaining more experience before trying again to get into Ray’s pants.



*****



“Daddy, where do these go?” JR asked her father waving the latest Rage issue up in the air. JR decided to earn her keep by working in her father’s store for the summer. She liked it there, finding it fun to keep the displays orderly and dust free. She also discovered she had a head for business and numbers. When Michael showed her his store’s ledger and the simple bookkeeping program Ted had installed for Michael years ago, JR took to it readily. She felt useful and more grown up than she had in ages. It was exhilarating and made her sad all at the same time. While her mother Lindsay was always supportive, Lindsay for the most part would give into Mel’s demands. JR never felt appreciated just for herself. Michael’s attentions were filling JR’s severely depleted well.

“The middle display, honeybun,” Michael responded. “Oops, sorry,” he said with a small chuckle as her heard JR’s foot stomp the floor. JR in her efforts to feel more grown up, at least at the store, asked her father to refrain from using his pet name for her. Michael sometimes slipped.

He smiled to himself as JR grumbled about parents in general then became embarrassed even more when he hugged her from behind. “But you are my honeybun,” Michael said loud enough for the teens in the store to hear. He then placed a sloppy kiss onto her cheeks.

“Eiw, Daddy,” JR griped, swiping at her face.

A very butch young woman, grabbed one of the Rage issues from the display as soon as JR filled the rack. Sateeena was playing a major role in this issue. Young lesbians were eagerly awaiting this installment. “My dads are the same way,” the girl whispered to JR in sympathy. JR nodded. “But I kinda like it,” the girl admitted.

“Me too,” JR whispered as she stole a glance at her father who was back behind his counter where he belonged. The young woman winked at JR as she took her comic to the counter.

JR stepped back to admire her work. “Looks good, sweetheart,” Michael called from the counter. JR shook her head as her father snickered. “Well, it does, and I didn’t say honeybun,” Michael added. Father and daughter laughed.



*****



“Ms. Goodman, you found us without difficulty, I see,” Justin said as he opened the door to allow the attractive woman and her daughter into the cottage.

“Yes, no problem, your directions were excellent. I’ve often driven past the turn off for your lane but I never knew this place existed,” Faith Goodman exclaimed as she took the offering of lemonade from Justin. The summer day was hot.

“We kinda like it that way,” Justin admitted as he handed a small glass of lemonade to Hope.

“Thank you,” Hope said politely.

“Briana will be home from camp soon, would you like to see the piano?” Justin asked.

“Love too,” Faith said brightly, flirting with the handsome artist. Justin ignored the fluttering of female eyelashes as he led Faith to the spinet. “What a magnificent instrument!” she gushed as she sat on the bench moving it closer to the piano. She lifted up the guard then began to play the scales which then transformed into the “Do Re Mi” song from “The Sound of Music.”

“That was beautiful. Riley was right about you,” Justin gushed.

“Thank you,” Faith blushed. “He told me he was restoring a spinet. I’ve never played one before. He told me about the possibility of giving instruction. I was hoping I’d get the chance but I’m sure you’d like to interview other instructors before you decide."

“Maybe, but I’m not the one going to take lessons. My daughter will be the deciding factor,” Justin said with authority.

“Of course. It’ll be my pleasure to meet her.”

“Does your daughter accompany you when you give lessons?” Justin asked. Hope was looking a bit bored.

“Most times. I only have a small keyboard instrument since we travel a lot. So I go to my students’ homes instead of them coming to me.”

“Makes sense. Hope, do you know Bree?”

“No, not really. I mean everyone knows about Briana, but I’m a grade ahead so we don’t hang out.”

There was something about Hope’s tone that Justin couldn’t get, but before he could question the girl, he heard the gate alarm beep and the distinctive sound of the Jeep driving up the lane. Bree and Patrick burst through the door, Brian sauntered in close behind.

“Honey, I’m hooome!” he called out.

“Hey,” Justin replied. “We have company.”

“I can see that,” Brian said noting the attractive woman standing by the piano and the little girl who was being a bit standoffish. “Brian Kinney,” Brian said taking only a few long strides to get to where Faith was standing; he held out his hand.

“Faith Goodman and this is my daughter Hope. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Faith replied her fluttering eyelids on overdrive.

“The pleasure will be all mine if you’re half the instructor Riley seems to think you are. Briana has been patiently waiting for this old girl to be restored so that she can begin her lessons.”

“We can begin today if Briana would like,” Faith offered. Brian nodded appreciatively.

“Bree, would like your first lesson today?”

“Oh yes, Dada,” Bree responded. Hope snorted softy to herself. “But can we have a snack first?” Bree smiled brightly.

“Sure, Squirt, never play the piano on an empty stomach.” Brian invited Faith and Hope to join them in the kitchen for the after camp snacks. Justin already had bowls of fresh fruit on the table as well as small wedges of some of Emmett’s muffins. The milk and juice was on the table as well.

“This is some spread,” Faith blurted out.

“We find that a healthy snack will hold the kids until dinner,” Justin explained as he placed a plate in front of Hope. Reluctantly she put a couple of pieces of orange on her plate mumbling something about wanting cookies instead.

“Daddy and me are going to bake cookies this weekend. You can help if it’s all right with my daddies and your mommy,” Bree said brightly in all innocence.

Before Brian could correct Bree’s grammar, Hope spoke up. “You bake with your daddy?” Hope asked incredulously.

“Sure, Daddy and me...” Brian ‘a-hemed’ loudly. “Daddy and I bake all the time. Don’t you bake with your mommy and daddy?”

“My daddy’s in the army; he doesn’t bake. My mommy’s too busy to bake cookies," Hope said with some disdain.

“My daddy can teach your mommy,” Bree graciously offered her daddy’s services.

“Bree, maybe we’ll let Mrs. Faith decide for herself if she’d like a baking lesson and she doesn’t have to decide right now. Finish your snack then get washed up so you can take your first lesson. Remember, no touching the keys with sticky hands,” Justin said reasonably.

“I ‘member, Daddy,” Bree said on the run to her room.

“Please excuse her, she’s a little excited,” Justin apologized.

“No need to apologize, an enthusiastic student often makes the best student,” Faith said.

“My sentiments exactly,” Brian agreed in a low purr. He was clearly remembering the times he ‘taught’ Justin when he and Justin first met. The then young student was his most enthusiastic pupil.

“Don’t you have a conference call to make or something,” Justin said as he blushed, giving Brian a swat.

“Yes, I do, Sunshine. I will leave you lovely ladies to your own devices. Come along, Patrick, we men-folk need to mosey along,” Brian said as he draped his arm across his nephew’s shoulders to lead him out of the kitchen.

Patrick was actually going out back to the batting cage his dads had set up for him in the Spring. Patrick was serious about his baseball practice. He waved to his uncle as Brian ascended the spiral staircase to his attic office. Once Brian was situated at his desk he quickly phoned Ted.

“Schmidt!” Brian growled when Ted answered.

“Yes, boss.”

“I need you to do a background check for me.”

“Right away, boss. Whom do you want me to check on? A new client?”

“No, the new piano teacher, one Faith Goodman. She has a daughter named Hope.”

“Don’t tell me, her mother’s name is Charity?”

“No, that’s the cat. Ted, this woman comes highly recommended by Riley and so far he hasn’t led us astray. Maybe this Faith person is just nervous. Her daughter has a bit of an attitude problem but I can handle that. I just want to make sure everything is...”

“No need to explain, Brian. I’d want to vet out anyone who’s going to be spending time with my daughter, that is if I had a daughter,” Ted began to ramble on making Brian smirk.

“Schmidt!”

“Yes, boss.”

“Discretely.”

“Discretion is my middle name,” Ted vowed.

Brian snorted. “ASAP, Ted. I don’t want Bree to become too attached to her before you find out something not so good.”

“Like yesterday, Brian.”

“Thanks, Ted.”

“Bri, anything for you and the princess, you only have to ask,” Teddy said softly then gave a quick goodbye before things got too mushy or loud.

Brian sat back staring at the phone for a moment. The sounds of a more polished version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star broke through Brian's reverie. He shook his head clear then went back downstairs to listen to his daughter’s impromptu concert.



*****



“Guuusss, will you play with me,” Bree whined next to Gus’ ear. He and Ray were still in bed wrapped around each other peacefully sleeping until Bree interrupted. Gus attempted to swat at the annoying buzzing noise.

“Pleazzzz, Gus.”

“Come on, Bree, it’s Sunday and I can sleep late.”

“But the sun’s out.” It had rained the day before putting a damper on any outdoor activities.

“What time is it?” Ray grumbled from under a pillow.

“Big hand’s on the one, the little hand’s on the seven,” Bree stated, knowing full well the time.

“It’s fucking seven in the morning!” Gus sat up with a start. “Bree!” he growled, ready to unleash a tirade which thankfully was cut off by his father entering the room.

“No need to yell at your sister especially when she comes bearing gifts. And you boys need to air out this room. Smells like a backroom in here.”

“Dada, what’s...”

“Ach,” Brian quickly cut off Bree’s question with a raised finger and arched brow. Bree shut her mouth.

“What gift?” Gus asked trying to understand why his room had all of a sudden become Grand Central Station. Justin had walked in and Gus could see John, Bobby and Patrick standing in the doorway.

“Go ahead, Squirt,” Brian urged Bree with a pat to her back. Bree held up the other half of the Fur Harry in her little palm. In her other hand was a set of keys.

“Pop, is that...?” Gus sputtered.

“Yes, Sonny Boy, it is,” Brian said with a smug grin.

“YEE HAW!” Gus shouted as he jumped out of bed. Grabbing Ray’s hand, Gus sprinted out of his room scattering his family in his wake. The boys never slept naked in the cottage, both were wearing sleep pants. Laughing, the family followed the boys out the front door.

In the lane clad in a big red car bow was a black Jeep reminiscent of the Jeep Brian had when he and Justin first met.

“Is it really mine?”

“All yours, Sonny Boy, just promise me you’ll be a responsible driver.”

“I will Pop, I promise,” Gus said as he gave his father a hug then ran to the Jeep to give it a test drive up and down the lane.

“Do you think we should tell them to get dressed first?” Justin asked with amusement as he took Brian’s hand to walk back inside.

“Nah, he’ll come in when his foot hurts. Bare feet on the clutch peddle hurt after a while,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Since we’re all up, how about you fix one on your famous breakfasts?” John asked.

“Might as well,” Brian quipped. Breakfast was just about on the table when the boys came back inside.

“Pop, we’re gonna get dressed then take the Jeep for a longer drive,” Gus said as he sprinted past the kitchen.

“Breakfast!” Brian announced. Gus and Ray stopped dead in their tracks then sat at the table. The ride could wait. Brian smiled approvingly as he passed around a platter of eggs.



*****



“It’s blue,” Jamie whispered as she stared at the pregnancy test stick.

“Very blue,” Leda confirmed as she gave her lover a kiss. The women hugged then kissed again as they both cried happy tears.



*****



“Good morning,” Melanie said coolly as Lindsay came into their kitchen. It was almost a month since JR went to stay with Michael. There was still no indication that she ever wanted to come back.

“Morning,” Lindsay replied as she set the kettle on the stove to make some tea. “Mel...”

“Lindsay, an old school friend contacted me the other day. She’s a partner in a firm that specializes in LGBT issues. She told me that her partner is retiring and is hoping Lorna would take over the business. She fully intends to, but she'll need a partner. They have a solid client base.”

“Are you seriously considering it?”

“Yes.”

“Where’s the firm?”

“Portland,” Mel answered. “Oregon,” she added after a moment.

Lindsay stared at her for a minute. The whistling kettle required her attention. “I assume you’re going out there to talk things over,” Lindsay stated matter-of-factly as she poured the boiled water over the tea bag that was in her favorite mug.

“Yes,” came the curt response.

“When?”

“Tomorrow.”

TBC

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.

This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is Pride Goeth.... The next story in the series is Nuff Rope.