- Text Size +

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 7





“Daddy, when is Gus coming?” Bree asked. She was eating her Cheerios at the kitchen table.

“He’ll be here this afternoon.”

“Yay! And he’s staying here, right?” she queried.

“That’s right.”

“For a whole month?”

“Correct.”

“And he’s working every day, but he’ll be here every night?”

“Yes.”

“And Ray’s coming with him?”

“That’s right.”

“And he’ll spend lots of time with me?”

“He plans to.”

“He will. Lots of time,” Bree averred. There was no further question in her tone. This was the way she expected it to be.

Justin smiled to himself. Gus was going to have his hands full juggling his job, his boyfriend and Bree. “I’m sure Gus will have lots of time for you,” Justin stated. He hoped that was true or there’d be no living with their little princess. “What do you want to do with Gus?” he asked out of curiosity.

“I want to go the stream and sit on the big rock with Gus and read books with Gus and play in the Wendy house with Gus and go for walks down the lane with Gus and play my piano for Gus and hug Gus and kiss him and…”

“Breathe, sweetheart,” Justin said with a chuckle. “I see that you’ve thought out Gus’ itinerary very carefully.”

“What’s a itinerary?”

“It’s kind of a list or schedule of what you’re going to do.”

“I know lots of things to do with Gus,” Bree said bobbing her head in affirmation.

“I can see that.”

“What are my two favorite people up to?” Brian asked as he came into the kitchen. His hair was still damp from the shower. He poured himself a coffee and gave Justin a peck on the cheek. “Morning, Sunshine.”

“Bree was just telling me what she has lined up for Gus and her to do.”

“A long list, I imagine,” Brian smirked. He gave Bree a kiss on the cheek before sitting down at the table with her.

“Infinite,” Justin said with a wink at his husband.

“You know that Ray will be here too,” Brian said to Bree. “They’re going to want some time together … alone.”

“I know,” Bree said with a scowl. “They need time for kissing and smooching and hugging and…”

“Other stuff,” Justin tossed in before Bree went any further.

“Are they going to get married like you and Dada?” she asked.

Brian almost spit his coffee all over the table. “I think that’s a topic for the future, Squirt. I wouldn’t ask Gus about that right now.”

“Why not?” she asked with a frown.

“Um…” Brian began and then he looked pleadingly at Justin.

“This is all yours, big guy,” Justin chuckled. “You brought it up.”

Brian gave his husband one of his best death glares. He took a deep breath and started to speak. He hoped he knew what the fuck he was saying. “Gus and Ray are too young to think about marriage, Squirt,” Brian explained. He looked at Justin for verification of the direction that he was taking with this touchy explanation. Justin merely shrugged and waited to see what else Brian would say.

“But Gus is all grown up, Dada,” Bree informed her father.

“Gus is grown up, but he’s still going to school, just like you are.”

“Oh?” Bree said thinking that over carefully.

“He needs to finish his schooling before he thinks about marriage or anything like that.”

“But he loves Ray, doesn’t he?”

“Yes, he thinks he does.”

Bree frowned harder. “Gus told me he loves Ray, Dada. He doesn’t think it, he knows it.”

“Is that right?” Brian asked, surprised that Gus would have discussed this subject with his sister.

“Yep.”

“And when did he tell you this?”

“I don’t know. He just did.”

“Really?”

“Yep. He tells me lots of things when we sit on the big rock by the stream or we play tea party in the Wendy house.”

“No sh…, no guff.”

“You were going to say shit, weren’t you, Dada?” Bree asked with a giggle.

“But I didn’t, and neither should you.”

“I know the bad words, Dada, and I don’t say them … very much.”

“That’s good, but you shouldn’t say them at all.”

“But you do,” Bree reminded him.

“I don’t always do the right thing,” Brian admitted.

Justin couldn’t help but smile from behind the counter where he was loading the dishwasher. Brian had got himself into a predicament, and Justin couldn’t wait to see how he got out of it.

“Yes, you do, Dada,” Bree contradicted her father. “You always do the right thing, but … you use bad words a whole bunch.”

“I do?”

“Yep, I hear them all the time, but I know you don’t mean them … very often.”

“How do you know that?” Brian asked, interested in Bree’s answer to that question.

“Bad words are for when you’re mad, Dada, and you get mad quite a bit.” Brian raised an eyebrow and waited for his daughter to continue. “But usually you’re not really mad, just … annoyed. When you get really mad, your voice gets very quiet … and scary.”

“Scary?”

“Yep,” Bree said bouncing her ponytail as she nodded. “I don’t like it when you get really mad, specially if you’re mad at me.”

“I don’t get mad at you very often,” Brian said gently.

“I know, but sometimes I do stupid stuff or I want something I shouldn’t have. Then you get mad at me.”

“And my voice gets quiet and … scary?”

“Yep, and I make sure I agree with everything you say. If you use bad words then, I’m really scared,” Bree added.

“I … I hope I don’t scare you often, Squirt,” Brian said honestly.

“Not often, Dada. Oh, and you don’t call me Squirt when you’re mad at me. You call me Briana Victoria, and then I know I’m in big trouble.”

“That’s how you know, huh?” Brian asked with a little smile.

“That’s how.”

“Come here, Squirt,” Brian said. Bree slid off her chair and walked around the table to her father. He lifted her up and sat her on his knee. He kissed her cheek. “You know I don’t like being mad at you, don’t you?” Bree nodded. “But sometimes it’s necessary.”

“I know, it’s for my own good,” Bree said with a sigh, as she parroted the words she had heard from both of her fathers on several occasions. “I don’t mean to make you mad.”

“We know that, Squirt. It’s just part of growing up.”

“Like Gus?”

“Yes, like Gus.”

“Did you get mad at Gus?”

Brian chuckled. He couldn’t even remember how this conversation had started, but it was time to end it. “I’m sure I got mad at Gus a time or two. Let’s go get you out of these pj’s before Mr. Riley arrives to work on the piano,” he said.

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree agreed. She slid off his lap and headed for her bedroom.

Brian looked at Justin. “What the fuck just happened?” he asked.

“Your daughter explained to you all about your parenting techniques and how she knows what mood you’re in,” Justin said with a straight face.

“Am I that obvious?”

“Yes.”

“Shit!”

Justin laughed. “Go help her pick out something fabulous to wear when she meets Mr. Riley.”

“Maybe she should help me pick out my clothes,” Brian said shaking his head. “She’s too damn smart.”

“Got that right,” Justin said as Brian walked down the hall to Bree’s bedroom.



*****



“Come on in, Mr. Riley,” Justin said into the intercom as he released the gate at the entrance to the lane leading to Edna’s Treasures. It was still early in the morning, but apparently the piano tuner was eager to get started. “Brian,” Justin called, “Mr. Riley is on his way up the lane.”

“Bree and I will be out in a minute,” Brian called back.

“And you’ll both look fabulous,” Justin said to himself, as he went to the front door to greet the piano tuner.

Bree had decided that she needed to wear the rainbow shirt that she wore for PRIDE. Brian had no objections and was pleased that Bree was learning about being responsible. Even though it was nice to have a new outfit for each occasion, it wasn’t always the most responsible thing to do. However, it did take a little convincing on Bree’s part for Brian to allow her to wear her frog necklace. Brian had visions of the chain breaking and the pendant dropping into the garden somewhere.

Brian wore a simple t-shirt and his cut offs. The shorts accentuated his long legs. Brian was planning to spend some time in front of a hot grill; his attire was very appropriate.

“Please come in and welcome to our home,” Justin greeted the piano tuner. Before the introductions could go very far, Bree dashed into the room closely followed by Brian.

“Mr. Riley,” Brian began as he shook the older man’s hand, “I’m Brian Kinney and this is our daughter...”

“My name is Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree said formally. Riley squatted down so he could be just about eye to eye with the young lady. Riley, Brian noted was a big man, about Bran’s height, but with fifty more pounds on him. His hands were large with long fingers, useful for playing the piano. He looked spry and strong enough to deal with grand instruments as well as the less grand.

“It’s very much my pleasure to meet you, Miss Kinney-Taylor,” Riley said as he shook the petite hand that was thrust toward him. Bree was very pleased that he took the time to shake hands and to say her full last name. Most adults just called her Miss Taylor.

“Mr. Riley,” Brian was about to introduce Justin.

“Riley, just Riley.”

“Riley, this is my partner, Justin Taylor,” Brian stressed the word partner waiting for Riley’s reaction. He refused to allow a homophobic prick to tune his daughter’s piano. Even if Riley was the best in the state.

“Very nice to meet you, Mr. Taylor,” Riley said as he stood up straight and shook Justin’s hand. So far, Brian was very pleased.

“It’s Justin, and thank you for coming and on a holiday too.”

“About that,” Brian said with a curious arch to his brow. “I thought you were going to drive up with Ted and Allen. They and the rest of the horde won’t be here until this afternoon.

“Allen gave me excellent directions and I’ll admit to being curious about the spinet. They stopped making spinets many years ago.”

“But won’t your family be disappointed that you’ll be spending the holiday away from them?” Justin asked as he guided Riley toward the kitchen to offer the man coffee.

Gratefully accepting a hot mugful, Riley sat at the counter allowing the coffee to cool before taking a sip. “Most of whom I considered family,” Riley began as he blew at the coffee, “died in the 80's.” Riley looked up at Brian and Justin over the rim of the mug. Brian nodded in understanding. Justin’s blue eyes hadn’t yet caught on, but Justin was smart enough to keep quiet.

“Mr. Riley?” Bree asked. She let the man take at least a few sips of coffee before she took over the show.

“Yes, ma’am,” Riley replied turning on his stool to give Bree his full attention.

“Would you like to see my piano?”

“I would like that very much, if your daddies would excuse us,” Riley said glancing back to Brian and Justin for approval. Justin smiled brightly; Brian simply nodded. “You lead, I’ll follow,” Riley said to Bree who smiled at the kindly man with her own sunny best. She reached up her hand which Riley took. Bree led Riley into the living room.

“And another man falls for the Taylor smile,” Brian quipped as he topped off his own coffee mug.

“Bri, what did he mean by most of his family dying in the 80's?” Justin whispered.

“AIDS, Justin. He’s a fag and I guess his partner died. Maybe he never found someone else. That’s why he’s available on holidays.”

“That’s so sad. Brian if anything ever happened to me...”

Brian put down his mug with a loud clunk. He took Justin’s shoulders, swinging him around so that he was held tightly in Brian’s arms.

“Nothing will ever happen to you,” Brian declared, Justin tucked safely under his chin. Brian inhaled the unique scent that was Justin. “Nothing,” Brian repeated, daring the gods to oppose him.

“Okay,” was all Justin could say as Brian took Justin’s face into his hands to kiss the warm, full lips.

“Don’t you two ever get enough?” Bobby grumbled as he, John and Patrick came down the hall and into the kitchen.

“Never enough,” Brian and Justin said as one then kissed again before parting to be the attentive hosts.

“John, Riley’s here,” Brian said.

“Already? That was fast,” he replied.

They all heard a few dull thuds as Riley tested a couple of keys. John walked toward the noise.

“Mr. Riley, I’m John Anderson, Brian’s brother,” John said automatically extending his hand.

“Just Riley, and I think I’m seeing double,” he said with a smile.

“We get that a lot. So do you think you can save this poor old girl?” John asked as he ran his hand over the fine wood cabinet. “I don’t think it’s been played for fifty years.”

“Instruments like this were constructed to last. Unless there was some major abuse in this lady’s past, I see no reason why she can’t be singing in a few days. If you don’t mind I’m just going to take a peek inside but I’ll save the real work for tomorrow,” Riley explained.

“Miss Briana, would you assist me by moving the bench out of the way?” Riley asked Bree. Bree smiled, pleased to have been asked. She took one end of the bench in her small hands. Patrick quickly stepped up to take the other end. Bree was so happy her best friend was helping, she graced Patrick with one of her sunniest smiles. Patrick never developed an immunity to her Taylor smile.

“He’s got it bad, doesn’t he?” Riley commented as the kids took the bench to the other side of the room. Brian chuckled as John sighed.

“That's Patrick, our son,” John explained as Bobby introduced himself. “And yes, Bree does seem to have Patrick under her spell.”

“She has all of us under her spell,” Bobby said.

“I can tell,” Riley said as he moved the spinet out from the wall so he could access the back. Using tools from his kit, Riley quickly opened the back of the spinet. Looking like a detective, with flashlight in hand, Riley took a quick scan of the inner workings of the spinet.

“Hmm,” Riley murmured, unaware of his audience. Six people were anxiously awaiting the verdict.

“Well?” Brian asked looking very much like an impatient businessman. All eyes were on the man behind the spinet.

“It’s doable but it may take a week, possibly longer. There are a lot of parts that need replacing.”

“But you can do it,” Justin said with a coy smile and a bat of his lashes.

Riley chuckled. “I see where she gets it from,” he said to Brian. Brian shrugged. “Yes, I can do it. It would help if I had a place to set up my workshop.”

“Patrick, show Riley the shed,” Bobby instructed his son.

“Okay, Poppa.”

“I’m coming too!” Bree announced. Riley put the backing on the piano then moved it back to its rightful place. He packed up his tool kit then followed the kids through to the porch then outside toward the shed. Beau went with them to supervise.

“So, what do you think of him?” Justin asked.

“He comes highly recommended, Sunshine,” Brian answered. “He appears to know what he’s talking about, but I’ll have a word with Allen and Drew since Allen claims to know nothing about pianos.”

“Maybe Drew will assist him,” John said as he helped himself to a cup of coffee.

“Maybe Drew will assist who?” Emmett asked as he and the person in question walked through the door. Emmett, Drew and Richie were all laden with boxes of canapés. The men of Edna’s Treasures were quick to help.

“The piano tuner is here,” John stated.

“Oh, well I hope he came hungry,” Emmett quipped.

“What did he say about the spinet?” Drew asked.

“He seemed to think it was doable but it might take a week,” Brian answered.

“Makes sense,” Drew said. “The spinet hasn’t been used in a hell of a long time. Parts rust then disintegrate. It’s not like the spinet is needed for a concert tomorrow. He probably wants to take his time to do the job right.”

“Try explaining that to the princess,” John said.

“I’ll explain it to her,” Drew offered. “We speak piano,” he joked.

“This coming from a man that was terrified to go Christmas tree shopping with said princess six months ago,” Brian snarked as he went out the door to bring in more goodies from the Hummer.

“I evolved!” Drew shouted after him then quickly followed. There were a lot more boxes in the truck.

“John, seriously, what do you think about him?” Justin was a bit pensive.

“He seems nice enough and Bree seems to like him. She does have good instincts. And he does come recommended,” John reassured Justin. “We can talk to Allen when he gets here with Ted.” Justin agreed then went to the kitchen.

A couple of hours later, the first of the family made its way up the lane.

“Joan not coming?” John asked Brian as they arranged the snacks on the table.

“Not this time. She’s staying in the Pitts with my sister. Claire’s nose got out of joint at the thought of old Joanie spending another holiday here, so Claire put her foot down. Apparently the satan spawn have grown up to be nice guys. One of them is married and has a nice home in West Virginia. They all went there for the weekend.”

“At least she’s not alone,” John commented. “So who’s coming?”

“Ted, Allen, Mikey, Ben and JR. The Brenners, minus the Sarah Kingsley. She decided to go abroad. Debbie and Carl, of course.”

“Of course,” John laughed as if there could be a family gathering without Debbie and Carl.

“And Jenn and Seth.”

“What about the girls?” John asked with a frown. “Aren’t they bringing the boys?”

“Carl’s driving the mobile motel; the boys are with them.”

“Brian, the girls...” John didn’t know what to say about the girls. Brian held up his hands to thwart any further explanation.

“I’m done. I don’t know how to help them anymore.”

“Then maybe it’s time they help themselves,” John said wisely. “Right now, we have a hungry family to feed. We should concentrate on that.”

Brian knew that John was right.