- Text Size +

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 9




As the afternoon waned at Edna’s Treasures, people patted their full bellies and seemed to wax philosophical.

“Uncle Ben,” Richie said to his mentor and tutor.

“Yes, Richie.”

“Do you think I’ll ever get caught up with my work at school?”

“Confucius says ‘The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.’”

“Huh?”

Ben chuckled. “Confucius was an ancient Chinese philosopher who wrote many profound sayings.”

“Oh?”

“What do you think that saying means?”

Richie thought for a moment. “I guess it means that I have to take small steps and not try to finish everything in a hurry.” Ben nodded. “So, I won’t catch up any time soon.”

“Do you need to catch up?” Ben asked. “Isn’t it better just to do your best and learn whatever you can as you progress?”

Richie really looked thoughtful. “Are you saying that I’ll never finish my education?” he asked in horror.

“A man should never stop learning,” Ben stated.

“Did Confucius say that too?” Richie asked.

“No, that would be Zen Ben who said it,” Brian contributed. “Haven’t you noticed that he’s still in school?”

Everyone chuckled.

“And I may never graduate … until I retire,” Ben said with a laugh.

“And that will be many years from now,” Michael added kissing his husband’s cheek.

“Aw, young love,” Brian snarked.

“I’m going to go on the swing, Daddy,” JR said standing up. She didn’t want to hear about love … young or otherwise.

“You want me to push you, honeybun?” Michael asked.

JR shook her head and walked over to the swing at the back of the yard. She sat on the seat and used her feet to push. Soon she was swinging back and forth, not too high, just enough to feel the wind in her face.

“Thinking?” a voice asked.

“Yes, Uncle John,” JR said as she slowed down.

“Want to talk?”

“Maybe.”

“How is it at your dad’s place?”

“It’s okay, but I don’t like fighting with my moms.”

“Nobody really likes fighting,” John told her.

“My moms seem to like it. What’s wrong with them?”

“You do ask the tough questions, little lady,” John stated.

“I don’t understand Mama. Sometimes she’s so unreasonable.”

“She is a woman who knows her mind, and it’s hard to change it.”

“Even when she’s wrong,” JR said with a sigh. “I wish I could fix things.”

“I’m not sure anyone’s able to fix this,” John admitted.

“Maybe Uncle Brian…”

“I think Uncle Brian intends to stay out of this one. Fixing this is up to your moms.”

“What if they don’t want to fix it…?”

“Then, maybe it’s time for a change. You know we love you. We’ll be here to help you and support you whatever happens.”

“I know.”

“Good, then how about a hug?”

“Thanks, Uncle John,” she said as she slid off the swing and into John’s waiting arms.



*****



“Michael, a word?” Brian asked.

Michael looked up and frowned at his old friend. “Yeah, what is it?”

Brian cocked his head toward the path to the stream. He started walking knowing that Michael would follow. Soon they were seated on the big rock.

“We haven’t done this for a while,” Michael said happily. He liked having Brian’s undivided attention.

“No, we haven’t. There hasn’t been a need.”

“A need?”

“Do you know what you’re doing with JR?” Brian asked pointedly.

“Of course I know what I’m doing. She’s my daughter.”

“Do you intend to have her live permanently with you?”

“Huh?”

“You heard me, Michael. Do you?”

“I … I don’t know. I haven’t thought about that. Isn’t she just upset with her mothers? Why would she want to stay with me…permanently?”

“Michael, in case you haven’t noticed, Mel and Lindz are having some major problems … once again.”

“But … isn’t this all about JR seeing Curtis?”

Brian heaved a sigh. “That’s just the tip of the iceberg.”

“What do you mean?”

“Mel and Lindz have been having problems for a long time.”

“But I thought…”

“I know, Michael, but this time there may be no solution,” Brian said slowly, letting his words sink in.

“You mean…divorce?”

Brian nodded. “I’m not saying that will happen, but how many times can they split and get back together?”

“Have they split?”

“I don’t know for sure, but they’re barely speaking according to Gus.”

“Maybe they’ll get over it,” Michael said hopefully.

“You don’t get over it by not talking.”

“Can you…?”

“Don’t ask, Michael. I’ve intervened more times than I care to think about. This time it’s up to them.”

“So, why are you telling me all this if it’s up to the girls?”

“Because you have JR at the moment, and you need to be prepared if they do split permanently.”

“You think JR would want to live with me?” Michael asked in surprise.

“You’re where she ran when she couldn’t stand it with her mothers.”

“Yeah, I guess she did.”

“All I’m saying is think about it and be prepared.”

“Okay, I can do that.”

“Of course you can, Mikey,” Brian said gently. He kissed Michael’s cheek before they headed back to the festivities.



*****



“Where are Michael and Brian going?” Riley asked as he saw the two men disappear down the path by the Wendy house.

“The stream is down there.”

“Oh, are they swimming?”

Danny chuckled. He had enjoyed sitting and talking with Riley under one of the shade trees in the yard. “You can swim in the stream, but it’s also a great place for sitting and thinking … or talking and working things out.”

“Do Michael and Brian have a problem?”

“No, but I think my granddaughter may have a problem,” Danny admitted. The absence of JR’s mothers, and the fact that JR was staying with her father was very worrisome.

“JR? That was her name, right?” Danny nodded. “What problem does she have? She seems like a very nice young lady.”

“She is.”

“Then what’s wrong?’

“Her mothers are not getting along at the moment.”

“Oh.”

“It’s … it’s not looking good.”

“That’s too bad.”

“JR is staying with her father, and she will be devastated if her mothers decide to split.”

“So, what are they doing down at the stream?” Riley asked.

“I imagine Brian is filling in my son on some facts of life.”

“Isn’t your son a little old for that talk?”

Danny sighed. “Michael can be very … naïve sometimes. I’m sure Brian will set him on the right road.”

The two men watched Michael and Brian return from the stream. Michael looked worried and went to sit with his husband. Brian looked at Justin and shrugged. Justin was immediately at Brian’s side giving him a needed hug.

“I think I’d like to see this stream,” Riley said.

“Let me be your guide,” Danny volunteered readily.

The two men headed down the path.



*****



“Um, Mr. Morrison, I’ve never been an intern before, what do I wear?” Ray asked. “My dad sent one of my suits.”

“You can call me Bobby and a suit isn’t necessary unless we attend a special function. I’ll check my calendar before Monday and let you know. We’re a small firm so we tend to dress business casual. Gus has been an intern at Kinnetik for several summers, I’m sure he can help with your wardrobe. If you’re still unsure, consult Brian. He’s the ‘fashionista’ around here.”

“I guess that’s where Bree gets it from,” Ray laughed.

“Probably. But I suggest you talk to Brian unless you’re fond of pink and purple,” Bobby said with a mischievous grin.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Ray replied.

“You do that,” Bobby said as he patted the boy on the back.



*****



“This is beautiful. And you say that Brian designed all this,” Riley exclaimed in astonishment looking around as they passed through the gardens on the path toward the stream. Danny nodded. “Briana’s playhouse?” Riley asked.

“The Wendy house. The kids share, but I think Patrick’s getting too old to play house.” They took a detour to peek inside. “Tell me I’m not seeing a fireplace.”

“I’d like to but I can’t tell a lie.”

“Brian?”

“Brian.”

“The mural is Justin’s.”

“Yes.”

“Remarkable. You know I live not too far from the Village garden. I’ve visited the henge on several occasions.” Danny chuckled. “I take it there’s more to Justin’s henge than meets the eye?”

“That’s an understatement but I’ll leave the story of the henge for another day and a cup of coffee,” Danny suggested.

“I look forward to it,” Riley replied.

As Danny and Riley slowly traveled the path down to the stream, Riley took a good look around.

“This is truly amazing. I’m no expert, but Brian’s managed to mix formal plants into the natural flora. Are you sure Brian did this and not Justin?”

“Very sure. When Brian isn’t terrorizing his staff at Kinnetik, he’s out here terrorizing the weeds.”

“Terrorizing weeds?”

“Brian finds it relaxing.”

“I see. And what do you find relaxing?”

“My bookstore,” Danny began to explain, as he made himself comfortable on the great rock by the stream. “I had retired, bought a new home but was growing bored. Michael needed some help in his comic book store and I needed something to do. It was also a good way of getting to know my son.”

“You didn’t raise him?”

“I didn’t know about him. Long story.”

“Another topic to be discussed over coffee?”

“Yes. Let’s just say I had no intention of returning to Pittsburgh when I retired, but then I got caught up in a fundraiser for the Jason Kemp Center and now here I am in the middle of the biggest family in Pennsylvania. It’s funny how things work out.”

“Yes it is. No missus at home?” Riley asked with a straight face.

“Um, no. No mister either.”

“Michael’s mother?”

“A one time thing in high school, when I was trying to find myself or the truth about myself. Now she’s a good friend and we have a beautiful granddaughter. Something I never thought I’d have. I’ve been blessed. You? Any missus or mister hiding somewhere?”

“No I had a mister many years ago but I lost him to AIDS. I...”

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have pried," Danny said as he patted Riley's arm. "Debbie, Michael’s mother lost her brother to AIDS and two of our boys are positive.”

“Damn. Are they okay?”

“Well, you’ve met Ben, he’s a fine specimen. I’m not sure if Hunter and his partner will be here today. Hunter runs the Jason Kemp Center, sometimes they have a barbecue for the kids at the center. Ben and Michael adopted Hunter when he was a teen.”

“This is a very special family.”

“Yes, it is. My partner at the store is very special too.”

“Is he?”

“She - Joan Kinney.”

“Brian’s sister?”

“Mother. She and Brian were estranged for years until the princess came along and made a miracle.”

“And she works with you.”

“She has a thing for old books and I needed the help. We work well together.”

“Amazing. But you live alone.”

“Yes, I was in show business for most of my life. I lived on the road and never found the time for a relationship. You?”

“After my Tony died, the light seemed to go out. I had a few relationships but nothing serious like I had with Tony. And like you, I’m on the road. I go where the symphony needs me to go. Sometimes I get commissioned to other orchestras.”

“But wouldn’t it be nice to have someone to come home to?”

“Yeah, maybe it would.”

The men were quiet, relishing in the fine day. The noises of the surrounding woods and stream were comforting and soothing.

“What are these figurines?” Riley asked when he spied the replicated Patrick statues that Justin had ‘planted’ near the great rock. “Wait, another story for coffee?” Riley said with a genuine smile.

“Yes, another story and I’d be honored to tell you all about it.”



*****



“Pop, I’m worried about Mom and Mama. They still aren’t talking. I’m afraid JR won’t go back home in the Fall.” Gus was helping his father refill several of the snack bowls to bring out.

“I know, Sonny Boy. I wish there was something I could do but I don’t think I can help this time.”

“I know," Gus sighed. "You’ve always been there for them for as long as I can remember, and I don’t think they realize it. I don’t care about me, but JR, I don’t want her to be hurt.”

“Gus, I’m afraid getting hurt will be inevitable, but Mikey and Ben will be there for her. So will Debbie and Danny. And we’ll be there too, Sonny Boy. JR won’t be alone.”

“Thanks, Pop,” Gus said hugging his father. “I love you.”

“Love you too, Sonny Boy. Come on, let’s get these snacks outside before the hordes eat the furniture.”

“Oh, Pop!”



*****



“Mr. Riley, when are you going to fix my piano?” Bree asked Riley when he and Danny emerged from the garden path.

“Well, Miss Bree, if it’s all right with you and your fathers, I’ll start on it first thing in the morning.”

“Oh yes! Thank you,” Bree said with a bright smile. “Dada will cook breakfast first and then you can start.”

“Your Dada cooks breakfast?”

“Yes,” Bree said, her ponytails bobbing up and down. "He makes the best breakfast, except for Hudson, she made the bestest porridge.”

“Porridge?”

“Yes, with raisins...”

For the rest of the afternoon, Riley was informed all about London, porridge, the big rocks and the smelly baths.

“Do you think we should rescue the man?” Justin asked Brian when they realized Bree had cornered poor Riley. He was sitting under an umbrella with Bree on his lap and Danny sitting close.

“I think Riley can take care of himself. But if he needs help, Divina will be more than willing to lend a hand.”

“Divina? You don’t mean...?” Justin turned to look at Riley and Danny.

“Uh huh,” Brian smirked then winked.

“Hmmm,” Justin commented as he too smirked then winked back.