- Text Size +



Nuff Rope

Chapter 1





“Pleeeez, Gus,” Bree begged.

Gus and Ray, along with Beau were supervising an afternoon at the stream. Patrick and Bree had been splashing around cooling off in the shallows while Ray and Gus set up a blanket and a picnic basket lunch. They were munching on typical picnic fare when Bree asked her brother for a very big favor.

“Bree, I think you should talk to dad about this,” Gus said reasonably.

“But he might say no,” Bree pouted.

“You won’t know that until you ask him.”

“He doesn’t want me to go. He thinks I’m too little.”

“No he doesn’t, but you are his little girl and he’s afraid that he’ll miss you too much.”

“Dada’s not afraid of anything,” Bree protested.

“Most of the time you’re right, but this time I know I’m right. Pop’s afraid that you’re growing up too fast and you won’t need him anymore.”

“But he’s my Dada. I always need my Dada.”

“Then let him know that and tell him why you want to go to sleep away camp,” Gus said forcefully.

“Okay,” Bree said softly as if given a death sentence. “But you’ll talk to him, right? Pleeeez!” Bree begged, her Taylor blue eyes flashing at him.

Gus groaned. No Kinney could resist Taylor eyes. “I’ll talk to him,” Gus said with resignation.

“Pushover,” Ray whispered as he knocked shoulders with Gus. All Gus could do was nod.



*****



“Do you approve of the arrangements?” Lindsay asked Justin. Justin, Lindsay and Sidney were touring the gallery hoping for approval from Justin. His “Then and Now” show would open mid August and run throughout September when the “Emerging Artists” show would then open. Sidney and Lindsay were planning on several small sneak preview shows before the official opening to the public but they needed Justin’s approval.

“I like it,” Justin said with a nod as he tweaked a slightly skewed sketch. “I like how the groupings are arranged by years.”

“Well, this show is all about your progression, my boy. It should be in chronological order,” Sidney declared with his usual flair.

“I hope people get it,” Lindsay mumbled.

“Excuse me?!” both Justin and Sidney asked at the same time then glared at her.

“I’m sorry,” Lindsay quickly apologized with a quivering lower lip then she ran off toward the office.

“What’s going on?” Justin asked Sidney who was looking rather embarrassed.

“I think the partnership of Lindsay and Melanie has finally come to its long overdue demise.”

“I knew they were having trouble, again, but I didn’t think it was that bad,” Justin admitted.

“It’s bad. Lindsay confided that Mel had gotten an offer to partner in a law firm in Portland...Oregon.”

“You’re kidding?”

“No, all fact, my lad. The lady in question sent a fax to Lindsay when she arrived in Portland, just letting Lindsay know how to contact her.”

“Melanie notified Lindsay via fax? That’s cold.”

“Frigid, more like it. Needless to say, our Miss Lindsay has not been on the top of her game lately. I wish there was something I could do but...”

“There’s nothing anyone can do. She has to get over this on her own.”

“Unfortunately, I must agree. Now, back to the business at hand. Do you like the brochure?”



*****



“This is an interesting arrangement,” Todd commented as he perused a rough sketch Brian handed him. “It reminds me of waves on the ocean.”

“That’s what I had in mind,” Brian confirmed.

“Why?” Todd asked.

“Not sure. I get a ‘shore’ feeling when I look around the grounds,” Brian explained. Todd looked around the somewhat demure estate of the local mayor and agreed.

Word spread fast in the local ‘communities’ about the not so hostile takeover of the garden center. And when the residents learned of who was in charge, so to speak, many clambered in to have their gardens revamped, including the mayor’s wife.

Living nowhere near the shore, somewhere between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, the mayor’s wife decided to create that beach feeling in her home. Much to the mayor’s chagrin, his home was filled with kitschy pieces of driftwood and large conch shells that were overflowing with his wife’s ‘treasures.’ And since his wife of thirty something years had no other irritating habits and was his biggest supporter, the mayor indulged his wife’s beach motif.

“Neptune?” Todd asked incredulously as he studied the sketch. “A bit over the top, no pun intended,” Todd commented with a smirk.

“I have my moments,” Brian retorted. “He can stand guard in that corner,” Brian pointed to a plot overgrown with weeds in an unused portion of the yard. “Maybe a low fountain bubbling around him; have it light up at night. Fill the pond with shells and the mayor’s wife will love you for it.”

“You’re insane but I like it. And knowing the number one citizen of their fair town put his two cents in will put you in the mayor’s good books.”

“I don’t give a shit if I’m in anyone’s good books!” Brian protested.

“Yeah, right,” Todd said indulgently. “Let’s go see if Mrs. Mayor likes Neptune. If she approves, I’ll have my crew start this afternoon. We can have this garden looking like the Jersey shore in no time,” Todd laughed. Brian smirked.

“Did Hunter send you any of his kids?” Brian asked as they strolled back to the house.

“A few. None of them with happy beginnings. One young woman was horribly abused.”

“Then lets hope for happier endings,” Brian murmured, Todd agreed as they entered the house.



*****



“Any good news in that paper?” Danny asked as he handed Riley a fresh cup of coffee. Riley was visiting Danny’s book store, relishing in the quiet homey atmosphere of the upper loft as he read the newspaper. Joan was happily tending to a customer down below.

“Not really, same crap, different day. However, the Bloom Gallery announced their new shows. I see Justin will be exhibiting. I caught a glimpse of him happily painting away in the sun porch. He truly loves his art.”

“Yes, he does. And from what I’ve read and was told by members of the family, Justin’s ability to produce his art is just short of a minor miracle,” Danny said as he sat down next to Riley, peeking over his arm to look at the advert.

“Well then, thank the Lord for minor miracles.”

“Mmm,” Danny agreed and then after a moment, he asked Riley if he wanted to go to lunch.

“Are you asking me on a date?” Riley said with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Maybe, if I thought my offer would be accepted.”

“Accepted,” Riley said with a smile.

“Good,” Danny said brightly. “Shall we?” he asked as he offered his arm. Riley laughed.

“Sure,” Riley said taking Danny’s arm. They walked downstairs to the main floor together.



*****



“Hi, Simon,” John said into the phone.

“John, I hear we might be seeing you and Bobby soon?” Simon replied.

“Bobby told me about his chat with Ken. I think we could each use a few days away.”

“Couples can always use a break from routine. It helps to kindle the romance.”

“Is that right?” John said with a laugh. “I hadn’t thought of it in quite those terms.”

“Well, you should. Romance the dickens out of your lover,” Simon advised.

“I’m not exactly sure how one would do that, but I can give it a shot,” John laughed.

“Definitely do that.”

John chuckled. “I’ll do my best.”

“Now that I’ve given you the full extent of my romantic advice, was there anything else I could do for you?” Simon asked.

“I’ve been thinking about when we could make this trip. Patrick goes to baseball camp the end of the month. That’s when Gus and Ray are coming to New York. If we drove up then, we could bring the boys and their baggage.”

“That would save us a penny or two on the airfare,” Simon agreed.

“And knowing Gus, he’ll want a ton of clothes for his debut at N’Ergy.”

“True.”

“So, you agree with this plan?”

“Totally. Did you and Bobby want to stay with us?”

“Now how romantic would that be?” John asked tongue in cheek.

“I’ll have you know Kenneth and I are very romantic.”

John chuckled at the reaction. “Goes without saying. But we don’t want to impose, especially since the boys are going to be staying with you. I was wondering if you could recommend a nice small hotel or B&B that would fill the romantic bill.”

Simon smiled to himself. “That I can.” He began clicking links on his computer. He was pretty sure he knew the perfect place for John and Bobby to stay.



*****



“Bree, you have mail,” Justin called to his daughter as he brought in the mail of the day.

“I do?” Bree asked.

“Yes, all the way from England, if the postmark is to be believed.”

“Wow!” Bree said. “It must be from Hudson.”

“I think you’re right,” Justin said. “Look at the stamp. It’s different than the ones we have here.”

“Is that Westminster Abbey?” Bree asked as she studied the stamp.

“I believe you’re right,” Justin said in amazement. “You remember it?”

“Sure, Daddy. It was a big place.”

Justin chuckled. “Yes it was.”

“Who’s that?” Bree asked pointing to the picture of a man beside the famous church.

“That would be King Charles the third.”

“The third?”

“There were two other British kings named Charles,” Justin explained.

“Oh. Can you be a king, Daddy?”

Justin laughed. “No, I don’t think that’s in the cards. Queen maybe.”

“Huh?” Bree said.

“Nothing, sweetheart. Are you going to open your mail?”

“Oh, yeah,” Bree replied. Justin handed her a letter opener, and Bree carefully slit the top of the envelope just as she had seen her fathers do many times. She made sure she didn’t rip the stamp. She pulled the paper out of the envelope and carefully unfolded it. “I can’t read it, Daddy. Hudson writes funny.”

Justin smiled as he took the paper from Bree. “Yes, she does.” Very small and cramped writing greeted him as he skimmed the page.

“Read it to me, Daddy.”

“I’ll try,” Justin said squinting at the unusual handwriting. He began to read.

Dearest Briana,

It was lovely to get your letter. In this day and age very few people take the time to write an actual letter, but I always find it exciting to get a one in the post. I appreciated that you had written, or printed, the letter yourself. You have a very good hand for someone your age.

“What does that mean?” Bree asked with a frown.

“It means that she thinks you print very neatly.”

“I do. My teacher tells me that all the time,” Bree stated.

“Must be the practice you and your father do.” Bree nodded in agreement.

I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in London. It would be lovely to see you and your family again. I hope you have a chance to come to London again some time soon.

Thank you for making the effort to send me your thank you note. It is much appreciated. I am so glad your fathers make you porridge. It sticks to your ribs in the wintertime. It’s also nice to know you like mine best.

Regards, Hudson

“You like Hudson’s porridge better than mine?” Justin asked.

Bree frowned. She knew she did, but she didn’t want to hurt her father’s feelings. Thinking for a moment, she said, “Hudson’s had more practice making porridge than you, Daddy.”

“Yes, I guess she has,” Justin said with a gentle smile. His daughter had developed a lovely way of telling the truth without hurting anyone’s feelings. He wondered if that was a combination of Brian’s honesty and his own gentle spirit. He hoped that was the case.

“I want to write another letter,” Bree stated.

“To Hudson?”

“No, to Mr. Riley. I want to thank him for fixing my piano. He said he really likes to get letters from people when he tunes their pianos.”

“Then by all means you should write to him.”

“Will you make the envelope for me?” Bree asked batting her eyes at her father.

“Of course I will.”

“Good. I’m going to use the same station stuff I used for Hudson.”

“That would be stationery, and I think that’s an excellent idea.”

“Will you help me if I can’t spell a word?”

“You got it,” Justin said smiling fondly at her. She ran out to the sun porch to her work table to find her paper and pencil.



*****



When the family sat down to dinner some time later, everyone was in a good mood. John informed the boys about the planned trip to New York, and about the plan for him and Bobby to take the boys with them. They spent some time discussing the right date to leave and how everything would be arranged.

Justin noted that Brian was very quiet during all of this. He raised an eyebrow when the trip was first mentioned, and then he said very little after that. Bree and Patrick were kind of left out of the conversation too.

Finally Bree wanted some attention as everyone was finishing their meal. “Dada, I have something to show you,” she stated.

“And what might that be, Squirt?”

“It’s over here.” She ran to her work table and returned with her letter to Riley. She handed it to her father.

Brian scanned the printed letters on the page. He smiled approvingly at his daughter.

“Read it to us,” Bobby requested wondering what Bree had written.

“This is a letter to Riley,” Brian began. He read:

Dear Mr. Riley,

My piano sounds real good. I met the lady who is going to teach me to play it. She gave me some scales to practise, because I’m not going to start the lessons until camp is done. I miss you. Come visit me soon.

Love, Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor

Brian beamed with pride. “That’s not bad, Bree. I think Riley will be pleased to get it.”

“Me too,” Bree concurred.

“You spelled everything perfectly.”

“Daddy helped me.”

“Except for real which should be really. You always did have trouble with your adverbs, Sunshine.”

“Did not!” Justin retorted. “I left it that way so it would sound like our daughter was talking to Riley in her own voice.”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “I bet.”

“You doubt me?”

“Never,” Brian quickly replied.

“Good answer.”

“Are you proud of me, Dada?” Bree asked batting those Taylor lashes at her father.

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Am I a big girl now?”

“Yes,” Brian admitted with a frown. He had a sinking feeling this wasn’t going to go where he wanted it to.

“I can do lots of big girl things?”

“I suppose,” Brian said slowly. He sensed this was leading up to something he wasn’t going to like.

“Then I want to go to sleep away camp for soccer,” Bree declared.

Everyone stared at Brian and held their breath as they waited for the explosion.



*****



“Are you okay?” Justin asked. He walked over to Brian and ran his hand up and down Brian’s arm.

Brian was standing at one of the windows of the sun porch. He had been thinking about the children going away to camp, and Gus going to New York and John and Bobby going away together. Everyone was leaving him. He stared out at the sun which was starting to set. His gardens looked beautiful in the early evening light, but they didn’t make him feel any better.

“Yeah,” Brian finally said.

“You don’t sound so great.”

“I didn’t scream or holler and I didn’t bite Bree’s head off. I didn’t lock her in her room either,” Brian said in his own defense.

“True, but you’re not happy.”

“I don’t want her to go.”

“I know and she knows, but she’s growing up, Brian. You have to let her experience things.”

“That’s what you all said when she dropped her bombshell. How long has she been lobbying to get everyone on her side?”

Justin smiled. “A while,” he admitted.

“I thought so. But she’s younger than Patrick, and this will be his first time away from home for camp.”

“Bree can handle herself. Think about how she was with Winona. She’s an amazing little girl.”

“She’s our little girl and I don’t want anything to happen to her,” Brian said in a whisper.

“What’s going to happen? She’ll come back knowing some soccer moves than you do,” Justin teased.

Brian snorted. “There are cruel people out in the big, bad world.”

“Unfortunately that’s true, but we can’t protect her forever.”

“I want to.”

Justin shook his head. “I know you do. I wish we could. Are you going to let her go?”

“I don’t think I can,” Brian admitted.

“Think about it, and don’t make any hasty decisions.”

“When do I make hasty decisions?”

“Like … every day,” Justin laughed.

“I don’t know if I can let her go, Justin.”

“At least you didn’t say no immediately, so give it some more thought.”

“You think she should go, don’t you?”

Justin nodded his head before leaving Brian to the study of his gardens at sunset. Maybe his husband would find the right answer in the glory of his flowers.