- Text Size +

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 10






“Fuck!” Brian muttered as he hit the alarm button. He had gotten used to sleeping as long as he wanted in the morning, or at least until Bree woke them up. He liked waking up when he wanted. This morning was different, however. He was going to the garden center to meet one of the applicants for a job at the center. Then he was going to supervise this guy all day, and probably help him shovel manure and cut lawns. As much as Brian liked gardening, he liked doing it in his own gardens, on his own time, for as long or as little as he liked. This was going to be different.

“It’s okay, big guy,” Justin said rolling towards him. “I’ll make you some breakfast while you shower.”

“I don’t see the point of showering. I’m going to be smelly and sweaty by the time our first job of the day is fifteen minutes old,” Brian griped.

“Yum, just the way I like you,” Justin laughed.

“You are so fucking weird.”

“I know, but you love me anyway.”

“Always, Sunshine.”

“Go shower, and I’ll start breakfast.”

“I have time for a shower with you,” Brian said with a suggestive waggle of his eyebrows.

“Then let’s get it on,” Justin said with a swish of his bum. “Time’s a-wasting, and I wouldn’t want you to be late on your first day of hard labor.”

“Twat!” Brian chuckled as he followed his husband into the bathroom.



*****



“Rise and shine, campers!” Chris, the counselor, called from the doorway of the bunkhouse.

“Hi,” Meghan said as her eyes fluttered open and she looked at Bree who had been sleeping beside her.

“Good morning,” Bree replied formally as she stretched and started to realize where she was.

“Thanks for sleeping with me last night. I was scared,” Meghan admitted.

“Me too,” Bree agreed in a soft voice that only Meghan would be able to hear. “Just a little bit,” she added.

“Twenty minutes till breakfast,” Chris told the bunkhouse of girls once she was sure everyone was awake.

The girls started to stir, dropping down from the upper bunks and throwing back the covers of the lower ones. Everyone looked around unsure how to proceed. Most of them were not used to dressing in front of other people. Nobody seemed to know what to do.

“I need to wash my face and brush my teeth,” Meghan whispered as she and Bree each sat on one side of the narrow bed.

“I need to pee,” Bree giggled.

“Yeah, that too.”

“Let’s get dressed first,” Bree suggested. Some of the girls were already occupying the bathroom and the extra sink that was in the main part of the cabin.

“Yeah,” Meghan agreed pulling some shorts and a top from her suitcase.

Bree watched and then shook her head. Meghan was nice but she didn’t have much of a fashion sense. Bree walked over to Meghan’s suitcase and pulled out another top that would go much better with the shorts she had chosen.

“Thanks,” Meghan said as she accepted Bree’s choice and put the other top back into the case. “My mommy usually picks out my clothes every day.”

“My Dada helps me sometimes, but mostly I do it myself,” Bree said as she scanned the suitcase full of pink and purple. Most of her shorts and tops would go with anything else in her wardrobe. Her Dada had advised her to pack things that went together. Bree knew her Dada was right. He usually was.

“Do you miss not having a mommy?” Meghan asked.

“Nope, I never had one so I don’t miss it,” Bree stated emphatically. “But I would like a sister who lived with me.”

“You don’t have a sister?” Meghan asked. “Neither do I.”

“I do have a sister, but she lives with her daddies right now.”

“Her daddies? But aren’t your daddies her daddies?”

“It’s cop-a-clated,” Bree said with a sigh.

“The bathroom’s free,” Meghan observed. “Grab it.”

“Thanks,” Bree replied as she raced towards the door, beating out another girl who was a step slower.



*****



“Not bad, Sunshine,” Brian said as he pushed his empty plate aside. Justin had made him sausage and eggs for breakfast. Brian had eaten it all, even against his better judgment. He knew he would probably burn it all off quite quickly while he worked.

“Thank you, m’lord,” Justin replied with a smile. “Would you care for seconds?” Justin’s fake British accent left something to be desired.

“I don’t believe I would. I have to haul my ass out of here in a couple of minutes,” Brian laughed.

“Then allow me to top up your coffee.”

“That would be lovely.” Brian watched as Justin filled his mug. “Do you think Bree’s doing all right?” he asked after a minute.

“I’m sure she’s just fine.”

“We should have got her a cell phone. She could have called us and we’d know for sure.”

“Brian, we decided she was too young for a cell phone,” Justin reminded his husband as he sat back down at the table with his own coffee.

“Yeah, but that was before she went away from home. She didn’t need one when she was here with us.”

Justin sighed as he studied his husband. “She’s only been gone for one night. I’m sure she’s having breakfast at camp right now, and laughing and talking with all the other girls.”

“You’re sure of that, are you?” Brian asked sarcastically.

“If anything … untoward happens, the camp will call us.”

“Nothing untoward had better fucking happen,” Brian griped.

“It won’t.”

“I wish I could be half as sure of that as you are.”

“Brian, she’s our daughter. We raised her to be independent, to think for herself, to be kind and considerate, and to stand up for herself. She’ll do all that.”

“And some fucking two hundred pound behemoth will knock her flat.”

“I strongly doubt that, but if a behemoth did knock her flat, our Bree would get right back up, dust herself off and tell the behemoth to fuck off.”

Brian laughed out loud. “Yeah, she would,” he said shaking his head.

“She’s going to have a good time, Brian. Stop worrying,” Justin admonished.

“Unlike me, who will be slaving in the salt gardens all day.”

“Salt gardens?” Justin asked with a chuckle. “What might they be?”

“Time for me to go,” Brian said getting up from the table. He grabbed his travel mug and poured his coffee into it, topping it up with some from the pot. “Pray for me, Sunshine. I’m going to need it.”

“You know I will, but who should I pray to?”

“The garden gnomes,” Brian called as he headed out the door.

Justin laughed and started to clean up after breakfast.



*****



“Don’t you like your breakfast?” Meghan asked. The girls were sitting side by side at one of the long tables in the mess hall.

“It’s all right,” Bree said, “but not as good as my daddies cook.” She took a bite of her toast and a drink of the orange juice. Her eggs were only partially eaten. They lay unwanted on her plate.

“Do both your daddies cook?” Meghan asked.

“Yep. My Dada makes awesome bacon and eggs, and my Daddy makes the bestest porridge.”

“Porridge? You like porridge?” Meghan asked in horror.

“I like my Daddy’s porridge … and Hudson’s.”

“Who’s Hudson?”

“You sure ask a lot of questions,” Bree observed.

“That’s cause you’re … different.”

“Am not!” Bree contradicted.

“Yes you are, but I like you a lot.”

Bree smiled. “I like you too. I’ll tell you about Hudson later.”

“Listen up, campers,” Chris called above the noise of the mess hall. “We’re going to give you your assignments for this morning.”

All the girls started to settle down to listen.

“I don’t think I want assignments,” Bree whispered.

“It sounds serious,” Meghan replied.

“Yeah.”

Chris proceeded to tell them about the morning activities.



*****



Ray found himself a little bored with nothing to do until later in the day. His house was empty with his boyfriend, brother and parents all out working and other stuff. Ray didn’t have to be at the real estate office until one. Morning TV was boring, the morning newspaper had little to offer except the usual doom and gloom and even playing on his computer held little appeal. He cleaned up the kitchen and the remains of breakfast before deciding what to do with himself. His month at Edna’s Treasures had been so filled with non-stop adventures and fun. Ray laughed to himself at that thought. Here he lived in the greatest city in the world and he was already missing that quiet little lane in the middle of nowhere. Ray shook himself out of his reverie then went to take a shower.



*****



“Bri, I decided to go to the gallery,” Justin said into his cell phone as he locked up the cottage and set the alarm. With Beau on patrol and the fact they were rather secluded, locks weren’t really necessary but old habits never really went away. He smiled to himself feeling a certain tightness in his groin as he remembered the punishment he had earned when he once forgot to set the alarm in Brian’s loft. He knew he walked bowlegged for weeks after that incident.

“Hey Sunshine, you still there?” Brian said in his ear via the Bluetooth.

“Um, yeah. Sorry I got distracted,” Justin said feeling himself blush. “I was locking up.”

“Uh huh, and did you remember to set the alarm like a good little boy?” Brian purred most seductively. Justin could almost see the arch of the eyebrow and the playful smirk on Brian’s face.

“Yes, Daddy,” Justin teased.

“So no punishment later?”

“I think I can come up with something you can punish me for,” Justin said as he blushed deeper. Even after all these years living with Brian, Brian never stopped eliciting such reactions from Justin.

“I just bet you can, little boy. Behave yourself in the big bad city, Sunshine. No getting yourself into trouble. That’s my job.”

“Yes, master. Later!”

“Later!”



*****



“Well, young lady, are you pleased with your little corner of the gallery?” Sidney asked Candy as she stood admiring her display.

“I, I’m so grateful!” Candy gushed as she wrapped her arms around the art gallery owner and patron of young up and coming artists.

‘She’s so starved for affection and approval,’ Sidney thought to himself as he hugged back. “So happy you approve. And I’m happy to tell you that there have been some inquiries made about your work. I feel sure that we’ll sell one or two pieces.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really and here’s someone who’s expressed a lot of interest. Candy, may I introduce you to Lacy. As you may know she is the current artist behind....”

“Rage!” Candy finished Sidney’s sentence with awe as she met the androgynous looking woman.

“You’re a fan?” Lacy asked.

“Oh yes, but I have to be careful. I can’t bring the comic into the house,” Candy revealed sadly.

“Why?” Lacy asked but was almost sure of the answer.

“My mom, she’s kinda cool with it. She doesn’t understand much of it but she believes in live and let live. But she’s been trying to get on my father’s good side and he doesn’t approve,” Candy was embarrassed to admit.

“But you approve,” Lacy ventured.

“Oh yes! I love your work. I try to imitate it, a little. I hope you’re not mad.”

“Why should I be? That’s how I started. I imitated Justin for years then I got to meet him one day. He encouraged me then even suggested I take over as primary artist for Rage. We still use a lot of his original work especially for Rage himself. Justin has a very special relationship with Rage.” Lacy smiled then winked at Candy making Candy blush slightly.

“I met Mr. Taylor here; he told me that Rage is based on his partner. He really let you imitate his work?”

“Yes, and he still does when I’ve hit a dry patch. Justin is...”

“Do I hear someone talking about me?” Justin walked into the gallery and over to where they were all standing. “Am I interrupting a meeting?” Justin asked politely.

“Not at all, my boy. We were just discussing Lacy’s humble beginnings and your unwavering faith in her,” Sidney gushed. Just then Lacy leaned over to plant a chaste kiss on Justin’s cheek.

“Justin, Sidney tells me you’re having another show soon and that it will lead into the Emerging Artists show.”

“Yeah. We’re hoping to open in a few of weeks. We’ll have a small preview in about a week. You’ll be there?”

“Sure!” Lacy replied. Sometimes she couldn’t believe that Justin considered her a good enough artist to be included in his previews.

“Can anyone come?” a timid voice asked. “To your show, I mean, not the preview.”

“Yes, the show is open to everyone, and if Sidney has any more tickets to the preview, you can come as well.” Justin glanced over to Sidney who nodded his head with approval. Sidney realized how difficult it was for Justin to separate the child from her father and he was very proud of Justin's invitation.

“I’ll set aside a couple of tickets right now,” Sidney said as he went to his office.

“It was nice meeting you, Candy. I own the Liberty Diner. You can find me there almost everyday, so don’t be a stranger,” Lacy said as she stuck out her hand for Candy to shake. “See ya, Justin.”

“Bye, Lacy,” Justin said as Lacy left the gallery.

“Mr. Taylor, did I do something wrong? You were a little angry last time,” Candy said with some hesitation when they were alone.

“No, Candy, you haven’t done anything wrong. I apologize if I was cold to you. I don’t want to judge you for anything other than for the person you are. Too much hate and hurt have been done because of wrong judgments and assumptions. You’re a fellow artist and deserve my respect.”

“Um, thank you, Mr. Taylor, but I don’t understand.”

“It’s Justin, and I’m not sure I can explain right now. But I’m glad you’ve entered the show.” Just then Justin’s stomach grumbled. He blushed as he looked at Candy who was trying not to giggle. “It’s okay; my stomach has a life of its own. And I did have breakfast this morning,” Justin sighed. “I think I better feed the beast before I do anything else. Would you like to join me for lunch? The bistro is close by.”

“I, um, are you sure?” Candy asked shyly.

“I’m sure but maybe you should call your mom to tell her where you’re going to be. You can ask her if she wants you to bring something home to her.”

“I don’t...”

“My treat,” Justin assured the young artist.

“Okay, I could eat,” Candy replied with a pretty smile.

“Great! I’ll tell Sidney where we’ll be then we can go,” Justin said as he guided Candy toward the main doors. Candy waited patiently and thought that maybe her and her mom’s luck might be changing for the better.

“All set, let’s go,” Justin said as he opened the door for Candy.

“How come you had to tell Mr. Bloom you were going?”

“Sidney is my mentor and he kinda looks toward me as a son, so I try to give him that respect.”

“Oh, that’s nice to have someone in your life like that.”

“Yeah, it is.” Before Justin could comment any more, Candy’s cell phone rang.

“Hi Mom, I was just about to call you. You can’t believe...okay, right away. Bye. Uh, Mr. Tay...” Justin gave the girl a look. “Um, Justin, I have to go. Something’s not right with my mom.” Candy was worried.

“I’ll take you; my Jeep is right here,” Justin said pointing to the Cherokee parked at the curb.

“It’s not such a great neighborhood,” Candy mumbled as Justin opened the passenger side door for the girl.

“You just tell me where. I was born here, remember. I know the neighborhoods.” As Candy gave him the street and address, Justin knew exactly where her apartment was. It was on the same street as the ugly little apartment he shared with a certain young fiddler. In just a few minutes, they pulled up in front of Candy’s apartment.

“I’ll walk you in,” Justin offered.

“Are you sure?’

“I’m sure.” Justin was ready to face all his demons.

A few minutes later Candy was opening her apartment door. “Mom? I’m home. Mr. Taylor’s with me,” Candy called out.

“I wasn’t expecting visitors,” Candy’s mother, Janet, said as she came out of the bedroom. She was hugging her robe close around her. She quickly pulled a scarf out of the pocket, draping it over her head and tying it around her neck.

“Mom, this is...”

“Justin Taylor. I know who you are. We were in the same class together at St. James. But we never hung out. I knew Daphne.” Justin cocked his head as he desperately tried to remember the obviously ill and tired woman standing in front of him. “Janet Cummings, I was a cheerleader for the football team,” she said as she offered her hand. Justin gently shook the thin hand.

“Mom, why didn’t you tell me you knew someone famous?”

“I wasn’t famous back then and I wasn’t on any team, so your mom really didn’t know me,” Justin explained.

“I always wanted to tell you that I was sorry for what happened but then other things happened,” Janet said indicating Candy with her eyes. Justin couldn’t think of anything to say so he just listened. “Sweetheart, why don’t you pour us some iced tea? The air conditioner isn’t working again. It’s a little hot in here. The landlord is always promising to fix things but he never does.”

Justin nodded at that. It was the same when he was living there with Ethan. They were lucky they had water sometimes.

“At least I didn’t get pregnant when I was in high school. When Chris finished his community service, he was so angry. He hated practically everyone and everything. He got rough sometimes,” Janet said softly. Justin knew what she meant. “I was in love. I thought if I could only stick it out. His parents approved of me even though I didn’t run in their social circle. My father worked for his father but they looked past that. They said I was a good influence on him. But not good enough as it turns out.”

“Here, Mom.” Candy handed her mother and Justin their iced tea.

“Thank you, honey.”

“Mom, did something happen today? You sounded weird on the phone.”

“I went to the doctor today.”

“Maybe I should go,” Justin said as he stood up.

“Please stay. Candy’s been so happy since you and Mr. Bloom invited her to enter the art show.” Justin sat back down.

“Are you okay?” Justin asked.

“Not really.”

“But the doctor said they got it all!” Candy said with tears in her eyes.

“I know, baby, and they thought they did, but it spread and now it’s too late.”

“But it can’t be,” Candy said as her flung herself into her mother’s arms.

“Isn’t there anything they can do? I know a few doctors, I can make some calls,” Justin said as he pulled out his phone.

“That’s very kind of you but you’ve done so much already.”

“All I did was take a look at Candy’s sketchbook. Candy’s talent did the rest. Sidney Bloom said there’s already interest in her work, and Lacy, the principal artist behind Rage is interested too. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lacy asked Candy to contribute to the comic. We often have guest artists.”

“How can you...after what Chris did?”

“Candy’s not Chris.”

“No, she isn’t. I hope I raised her to be more tolerant and accepting of alternative lifestyles. Ours has never been very conventional. It was just after I graduated college, I was celebrating with a few friends at a local club when Chris walked in. I thought he had finished with me but my feelings for him never changed. I was just resigned to the fact that I wasn’t good enough for him. He bought me a few drinks and we danced then one thing led to another. I thought it was a whole new beginning for us but I was mistaken. He couldn’t have cared less about me or the results of that night.”

Janet paused in her story to wipe the tears from Candy’s face. “I’m so sorry, sweetheart. I hoped that when your father saw what a beautiful and talented young woman you turned out to be that he’d love you just like I do.

“He hasn’t changed,” Janet said looking back to Justin. “He married some wealthy woman and with her influence found his way back into legitimate society. But he keeps a low profile just in case he comes across someone with a good memory. He’ll have nothing to do with us, and I’ve spent whatever money we had in moving back here.”

“Do you need...?”

“No, we’ll get by somehow, we always do, and my girl here has been working whenever she can. When she turns sixteen they’ll let her work more hours.”

Justin nodded, contemplating what Janet said. “I do have a friend who’s a doctor. He’s more like family actually. Can I at least call him and ask him to look over your case. He does a lot of research so maybe there’s something he can suggest. He’s at Allegheny General.”

Janet nodded and gave Justin her phone number. Just then Justin’s stomach grumbled angrily. Justin blushed as Candy giggled through her tears.

“We missed lunch,” Candy said.

“Yeah, but I can at least fix that,” he said with a mischievous smile. Justin pulled out his cell phone and quickly made a call. “Hey, Emm, can I place an order? A very special order. To go, please...” Justin smiled fondly at Candy as he placed his order for a luncheon feast with Emmett.

A couple of hours later, after the hardy meal was consumed and the leftovers that would last the women for several days were packed into the small refrigerator, Justin was on his way back home.

“Ted? It’s Justin. I have a question. Isn’t there a vacant apartment at Tremont? No takers? Oooh, no takers that his majesty approved of. Hold that thought. I’ll let you know. It all depends on how good I am at being bad. Yeah. Bye, Ted.” Justin had a plan and a few more hours to work on it before Brian got home.