- Text Size +

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 6





“Hi Mama,” Gus said into his cell phone. “Ray and I are starting to pack for New York.”

“I thought you might be,” Melanie replied. “I called to wish you well and tell you to behave while you’re there.”

“I always behave.”

Ray made a face at Gus when he heard those words. Then he winked.

“Just be careful, Gus. New York is a very big city, and a lot of things can happen there.”

“I know, Mama. I’ll have Ray and his dads and Jeff to show me the ropes.”

“I suppose,” Melanie agreed slowly. “I do worry.”

Gus shook his head. If she worried so much, why wasn’t she there to see him off on his adventure to New York City? “Um, Mama, is there any chance you’ll be home soon?” Gus asked. He had to know if there was even a breath of a chance that his mothers would get back together. There was a long pause. Gus waited holding his breath.

“Gus, I really don’t know. I’m working out here now…”

Gus knew there was more to it than that, but apparently his mother wasn’t prepared to tell him about it. “Okay,” Gus said. At least she hadn’t said she was never coming back.

“Gus…”

“It’s okay, Mama,” Gus said with resignation in his voice, “we all have to do what we have to do.”

“Yes, we do.”

“Thanks for calling, and my cell phone works in New York as well as here.”

“Of course.”

“Talk to you soon.” Gus cut the connection. “That was really weird,” Gus told Ray as he tossed his cell phone onto the bed.

“How so?” Ray asked.

“It seemed …like she wanted to tell me more, but she didn’t.”

“Maybe she’s afraid to,” Ray advised.

“Afraid?”

“Yeah, even adults, especially parents, want to seem perfect. She may be embarrassed that she’s the one breaking up your family.”

“She is the one breaking it up,” Gus stated. He hated all this drama between his mothers. His father was staying out of it this time, and that probably meant that they had little hope of reconciling.

“Yeah, but I’m sure it comes from both sides. Don’t pin all the blame on her.”

“How old are you?” Gus asked with a frown.

“You know. Why?” Ray asked puzzled by Gus’ question.

“You are so wise sometimes.”

“Cripes, you make me sound like I’m a hundred,” Ray said shaking his head. He had just been trying to help.

“I know you’re not a hundred,” Gus grinned. “In fact I think you should show me just how young and virile you are.” Gus waggled his eyebrows, looking so much like his father.

“That’s a great idea,” Ray responded shoving the suitcases off the bed before grabbing his boyfriend and tumbling them both onto it.



*****



Todd walked into his office at the landscaping headquarters and slumped into the big chair in front of his desk. He was exhausted. It was the weekend, but he had been up at the crack of dawn after working until dusk the day before. He had just spent eight hours on another job that was also behind schedule. He knew he couldn’t keep this up. He rubbed his hand over his face and looked at the mountain of bills and other paperwork strewn across the desk. How was he ever going to get caught up?

After a couple of minutes he realized that he had dozed off. He shook himself trying to break out of this depression and exhaustion and lethargy. What the fuck was he going to do?

Gradually Todd realized that what he should do was call Brian Kinney. Maybe Brian could suggest the best plan of attack to get things back to normal with this company. Who would have thought he’d be suffering from too many jobs to do?

When he came back to Pittsburgh, Todd hadn’t planned on staying. Then fucking Brian Kinney had come up with this idea of a partnership. Todd had liked the idea thinking that Brian would be a silent partner, provide some financing, and Todd would run a small landscaping company. But he should have known that Brian didn’t do anything in a small way. He smiled to himself remembering his one encounter with Brian Kinney in the backroom of Babylon. There was nothing small about Brian. There were few men who could live up to their reputations, but Brian exceeded his.

Mentally Todd gave himself a shake. That wasn’t what he was supposed to be thinking about. The small landscaping company that Todd had envisioned had snowballed into a monster that was out of Todd’s control. Trust Brian Kinney to be too successful.

Todd knew he should call Brian, but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. It would be admitting failure and he knew he didn’t want to do that. Propping his eyes open, Todd picked up the first paper on his desk. He better get started on some of this right away. Every minute he sat there doing nothing was another minute he got farther behind.



*****



“So how was your day at the gallery?” Brian asked as he drove his family towards Edna’s Treasures.

“I guess I should say fine, and leave it at that.”

“What happened?” Brian asked, immediately picking up on Justin’s tone.

Justin glanced into the backseat of the SUV where Bree was staring out the window, seemingly lost in thought. “I think this better wait until we’re alone,” he replied softly.

Brian’s frown deepened. “Okay, but this better not be something we should have dealt with in Pittsburgh.”

“It’s not.”

“Daddy, you can talk in front of me. I won’t tell nobody,” Bree piped up.

“Anybody,” Brian corrected.

Bree frowned. “I don’t do nuffin right,” she said with a pout.

“Sure you do, sweetheart,” Justin said quickly. “You do most things right, better than right.”

“I saw Gamma Susan today, Daddy,” she informed her father, apparently changing the subject.

“You did? How did that happen?” Justin looked at his husband.

“I took Joan to the cemetery, and we met Debbie and Carl there. She invited us for lunch at the diner, and called Susan to join us.”

“It was good you got to see Grandma Susan. You haven’t seen her for a long time.”

“I know, but she didn’t bring Gampa Craig with her.”

“Oh?”

“He was invited,” Brian mouthed to Justin.

“Um, my dad doesn’t like the diner food,” Justin explained lamely.

“Doesn’t like the diner clientele is closer to the truth,” Brian couldn’t stop himself from adding. Justin glared at him.

Bree stared at her fathers. “Gampa doesn’t like me no more,” she said sadly.

“Yes he does,” Justin replied quickly.

Bree shook her head. “He never comes to see me.”

“Um, we haven’t invited him to our place lately. Maybe we should do that,” Justin suggested. He glanced at Brian for confirmation. Brian merely shrugged. He could put up with a few hours of Craig Taylor if it would make Bree happy.

“He won’t come,” Bree said dejectedly.

“Why don’t we call and see when we get home?”

“’Kay, Daddy, but you better talk to him. He doesn’t like me.”

Justin shook his head. This was turning out to be the day from Hell.



*****



For the rest of the evening, the family of Edna’s Treasures was very busy packing. Even Justin was packing up the rest of his paintings and sketches that he was going to take to the gallery on Monday after they delivered Bree to camp. Bree had asked her Dada to assist her with her packing for sleep away camp; begrudgingly, Brian agreed. Bree carefully laid out her summer wardrobe on her bed. With a nod or a gesture, Brian indicated which outfits would be appropriate for a little girl on her first solo trip away from home. Most of the time Bree would be wearing her soccer uniform; however, other attire was suggested by the camp. A list of activities was provided which included supervised dances with the neighboring boy’s camp and religious services for those children who wanted to attend. There was also a local concert that the camp arranged to attend. All of which sounded far too grown up for Brian’s little girl, but he was personally assured by the camp director that all activities were age appropriate and necessary for socialization.

Bree heard her Dada grumble and curse but knew it only meant her father was going to miss her when she was away. It didn’t mean she couldn’t go.

“Dada?” Bree looked up as she handed Brian a pair of pink socks.

“Yeah, Squirt?” Brian laid the socks next to the rest of the pink socks in Bree’s suitcase.

“I’m going to miss you,” Bree said as she threw her arms around Brian’s waist. He stooped down to pick her up.

“I’m going to miss you too,” he murmured into her hair. Brian held Bree close for several minutes until he got himself under control. He sighed deeply as he put Bree down. Silently, father and daughter continued to pack her bags.



*****



“Hi, Dad,” Ray greeted his father on the phone. Gus and Ray were taking a break from packing, just lying on the bed. “Yeah, Gus’ uncles are going to drive us home and then go on to their hotel. Okay, I’ll invite them. Yeah, I’ve had the best time,” Ray said with a smile. He reached out for Gus’ hand. The boys held hands as Ray spoke to his father.

“I miss you and Daddy too. Yeah, I even miss Jeff,” Ray laughed. “We’ll see you Monday afternoon. Bye, Dad. Love you too,” Ray said just before he disconnected his cell.

The boys lay back on the bed, quiet and contemplative.

“I had a great time here,” Ray said after a while. He gently squeezed Gus’ hand.

“The best,” Gus agreed as he squeezed back then rolled over to lay on top of Ray. He arched that famous Kinney brow as he scrutinized Ray’s face.

“Yesss?” Ray smirked, unperturbed by the eyebrow.

“I wonder if your dads got you a new bed,” Gus quipped before he sought out Ray’s lips. Ray mushed Gus’ face with a pillow.



*****



“Okay, Sunshine, spill!” Brian demanded as they emerged from their shower before going to bed.

“I don’t know where to begin,” Justin said with a sigh as he rubbed a towel over his head. Brian took the towel out of Justin’s hand as he settled Justin between his long legs on their bed. Gently massaging Justin’s head as Brian dried the golden mane, Brian encouraged Justin to talk.

“Try from the beginning.”

“I met someone very interesting at the gallery,” Justin began. Brian stifled any jealous feelings that automatically wanted to intrude, letting Justin explain fully. “A girl about JR’s age. Cassandra but she prefers to be called Candy. She came in to look at the Rage exhibit.”

Brian relaxed as he kissed a pale shoulder. “Sounds a little like Hunter,” Brian said commenting on the name. “Go on.”

“We were talking about Rage, about you and Lacy when I noticed she had a sketch pad with her. She let me look at her stuff. It’s good, a little dark and gloomy but good.”

“What does a young lady have to be gloomy about?”

“Her mom is recovering from cancer,” Justin said softly, patting the long legs that surrounded him. “Sidney found out that her mother was very sick and almost didn’t make it. They came back to the Pitts hoping that Candy’s father could lend some financial support. But...”

“But what? Is he a cheapskate asshole that won’t take any responsibility?”

“Maybe, I didn’t get that far. I convinced Candy to submit some of her stuff to Sidney for the Emerging Artists show.”

“And, did it suck?”

“No,” Justin chuckled with nervous laughter. “But her name, it can’t be a coincidence.”

“Did you find another artistic Taylor?” Brian teased.

“No, I didn’t,” Justin snapped back, suddenly very serious. “Another Hobbs,” Justin growled as he stilled Brian’s hands, grabbing the towel and throwing it across the room. As Justin tried to get up, Brian held him back, waiting until Justin was ready to continue.

“I want to hate her, hate her drawings and paintings. I was cold to her when I discovered her name.”

“Are you sure she’s the same Hobbs? You could be condemning someone needlessly.”

“I don’t know for sure. And I got the impression that she never really knew her father, if indeed Chris Hobbs is her father. But I can’t help myself. I hear that name and...”

“And you want to strike back in some way.”

“Yes, and I’m ashamed of myself. If she is Hobbs’ daughter, she has no clue about what happened. It’s not right to blame her for what her father did.”

“The sins of the father...”

“Exactly. She maybe a Hobbs in name only.”

“So what are you going to do?” Brian asked as he felt Justin relax in his arms. Brian worked himself and Justin under the sheets then covered them both. Justin nestled himself into Brian’s strong arms.

“I don’t know. If I make assumptions about her then I’ll be as guilty as Hobbs was making assumptions about me and all gays.” Brian nodded, proud of Justin, knowing how difficult this was for him and for Brian as well. Brian would give anything to be able to wave a magic wand and make Hobbs, and what he stands for, go away.

“Did you tell Sidney to disqualify Candy?”

“No, I didn’t. He offered though.”

“Then I suggest after we deliver your latest creations on Monday that you take a break from the gallery. Does Sidney or Lindsay need you there?”

“Not really, I just like to be involved.”

“So it’s going to be just you and me for the next two weeks unless some other disaster happens. You can keep me from going crazy without our daughter.” Brian felt Justin smile against his chest.

“That’s a pretty big job. I’m not sure I’m up to it,” Justin replied rubbing his groin against Brian’s leg.

“I think I may be up for something.”

“You’re always up.” Justin leaned up to give Brian a kiss then laid back down. The boys were not in any hurry for sex and Brian sensed Justin had more on his mind. “Bri, what should I do about Candy?’

“What do you want to do?”

“I’d like to be man enough and gracious enough that if Candy does turn out to be Hobbs’ daughter I can get past it and treat her fairly. She hasn’t done anything to warrant my rude behavior.”

“Justin, you have a very gracious heart. I have no doubt that you’ll do the right thing.”

“I hope so. I don’t like where my head is at.”

“You can always put your head somewhere else,” Brian so thoughtfully suggested.

“And where might that be?” Justin asked having a good idea of the answer.

“Here.” Brian pulled Justin onto his chest so they could kiss and rub their groins together. As both grew hard, Justin thought of an equally good place for his head to be. Justin kissed a path down Brian’s chest toward the best place Justin could put his head and mouth.

“Oh yeah,” Brian purred as Justin sucked down Brian’s cock. “No one on this fucking planet does that as good as you,” Brian groaned as he arched into Justin’s talented mouth.

Justin sucked and nibbled as he rolled Brian’s balls in his hands. The moans and groans emanating from Brian spurred Justin on, although Brian’s beauty alone was inspiration enough for Justin.

“I love the way you taste,” Justin murmured as he looked up to see Brian’s lust hooded eyes. “And the smell of your skin.” Justin inhaled as he routed his nose into Brian’s dark pubes.

“Holy fuck!” Brian cried out unable to hold on any longer. “Finish me,” he demanded, sinking his fingers into Justin’s hair.

“Yes, master,” Justin snickered around Brian’s dick. Justin finished off his spouse, sucking down Brian’s hot thick cum. Justin watched Brian come down from his sexual high as he climbed back up Brian’s long body and lay next to him. “Thank you.”

“For what? I should be thanking you.”

“For getting my head back in the right place. For knowing me better than I know myself, and for just being here.”

“Justin, don’t you know by now that there is nowhere I’d rather be than right here. And as for knowing you, I make it my job to know you, and I’ve had years of study. And you got your head back in the right place all by yourself.” Brian leaned over to punctuate his statements with a kiss.

“Now I think it’s about time I should get my head in a better place,” Brian declared as he crawled down Justin’s body to reciprocate. Justin fisted the sheets as he gave himself over to a Brian Kinney blowjob.

Justin’s head was definitely in the best place ever.



*****



“Day after tomorrow, we’ll be on vacation,” John said as he snuggled next to Bobby.

“Mmm, two whole weeks on our own,” Bobby replied smugly.

“How did you arrange it without me knowing?”

“I have many skills,” Bobby teased. “I also have an in with Gordon. He and Betsie think I’m adorable.”

“Adorable?”

“Yup, and they both think that taking you away is a great idea.”

“They do?”

“Yes they do.” Bobby to turned to face John; he coyly batted his eyelashes. “Do you think I’m adorable?”

“Irresistible too,” John said nodding his head. “And very, very smart. But, um, now what about those skills you mentioned. I believe they deserve further study and clarification,” John said as he arched the Kinney brow.

“I firmly believe in doing in depth research,” Bobby murmured as he firmly cupped John’s balls then stroked his dick.

“I agree,” John stuttered. “Lots of research,” he murmured with his last few coherent brain cells.



*****



Todd tossed and turned in his bed. He was alone, lonely and exhausted. He used to be able to take Sundays off when he lived and worked in Chicago. Now to keep up with the paperwork, Todd would be up with the birds and on his computer trying to make heads or tails regarding his accounts. He frowned as he pulled on his flaccid cock. He couldn’t remember the last time he had sex even with himself.

“Damn, I need to get laid,” Todd said to himself. “And I really need to talk to Brian Kinney.”