- Text Size +

 

Nuff Rope

Chapter 7






“Daddy, Dada, wake up!” a little voice called from the other side of the bedroom door. “You gots to take me to sleep away camp.”

“Fuck!” Brian muttered as he sat up in bed. Today was the day.

“Go open the door,” Justin instructed his husband with a big yawn. “Dada’s coming,” he called to Bree.

“It’s fucking six-thirty in the fucking morning.”

“Sh, open the door.” Brian did as he was bid. A blonde whirlwind wrapped herself around his waist.

“I love you, Dada,” Bree whispered. “I need breakfast, then we havta go to sleep away camp.”

“It’s early, Squirt, we’ve got plenty of time.”

“Are you sure?’

“I’m sure. Push the button on the coffeemaker for me and I’ll be right out.”

“’Kay, Dada. Love you, Daddy.”

“Love you too, sweetheart,” Justin replied with a smile. Bree ran out of the bedroom. “Do you think she’s excited?” Justin laughed.

Brian shook his head. “Maybe we should tell her not to go.”

“It’s too late for that. She’ll be fine.” Justin threw back the covers. “Let’s shower, and then you can make us one of your famous breakfasts. That’s what we need to start the day off right.”

Dejectedly, Brian let himself be led into the shower.



*****



“This is good, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said as the family was all enjoying Brian’s omlet and bacon.

“Thanks,” Brian replied tersely.

“We’re leaving right after breakfast to take Patrick to baseball camp,” Bobby said. “When will you be leaving with Bree?”

“Probably the same,” Justin answered when Brian didn’t say anything.

“I’ll miss you guys,” Gus said honestly.

“Me too,” Ray added.

“I’ll miss everybody,” Bree piped up. “But I’m going to have fun at sleep away camp.” She popped her last piece of toast into her mouth and smiled at everyone.

“Of course you are, little princess,” John said. “Let’s go get your things into the car, Patrick. We’ll be back for you guys, as soon as we drop off Patrick,” he added, speaking to Gus and Ray. They nodded in agreement.

A short while later after many hugs and kisses, both families were on the road taking their child to camp. Gus and Ray were getting the last of their belongings organized to go to New York.



*****



A mostly silent trip ended as Brian pulled the SUV up to the office of the soccer camp. There were many other children and their families arriving as well. Justin went into the office to check in and find out where they were supposed to go. A counselor came out of the office with Justin. Brian took Bree’s suitcase and they walked to the building where Bree would be bunking with five other girls.



*****



Meanwhile a few miles away, John and Bobby had just ended their ride to the baseball camp. Patrick had chattered the whole way, asking Bobby for advice about how to handle double plays and which pitches to use when he got his chance to pitch. They checked in and carried Patrick’s bag to the bunkhouse which he would share with five other boys.



*****



Bree claimed her bunk and they set her suitcase at the foot of the bed. She smiled happily at her fathers as the counselor told them about how the week would run. The parents were invited up the following weekend for a soccer game. Brian and Justin promised to be there. Brian checked on how Bree could get in touch with them if anything went wrong or if his daughter needed him. Then she was all checked in and it was time to leave her.



*****



Patrick took his assigned bunk and they laid his duffel bag at the foot of it. Patrick listened solemnly to the counselor who told them about the activities and workings of the camp. Parents were invited to a baseball game the following weekend. Bobby and John explained that they were going to be in New York, but that John’s brother would attend the game if it didn’t interfere with events at his daughter’s soccer camp. They were assured that many parents had children in both camps and they scheduled the games so that they would not overlap. Patrick was told that he could call Uncle Brian or Uncle Justin if he needed anything. Then Patrick was all checked in and it was time to leave.



*****



As they were about to leave the bunkhouse, another little girl entered with her mother and father. They took the bunk next to Bree’s and the counselor with them began to explain what had just been told to the Taylor-Kinney family.

Bree smiled at the little girl. “Hi, I’m Bree. I sleep in here too. I’ll be right back,” she said cheerily.

“I’m Meghan. I just got here,” the little dark haired girl replied.

The parents smiled at each other and then Bree walked with her dads out to the car.

“I love you, Daddy,” Bree said as Justin bent down for a hug. “I’ll be fine.”

“I know, sweetheart,” Justin said as he kissed her cheek.

“I love you, Dada,” Bree assured her father as they hugged. “You’ll be fine. I’ll be back home real soon.”

Brian snorted, but his voice seemed to have vanished. He couldn’t get any words to come out, so he just hugged his daughter harder.

“You havta let me go, Dada. I need to go back to the bunkhouse.”

Brian shook his head, but he managed to get his arms to release her.

“Bye, Daddy, Dada, I’ll see you next weekend,” Bree said and then she skipped off towards her bunkhouse.

“Fuck!” Brian muttered.

“Come on, big guy. We need to go home,” Justin said.

“So my other child can leave me too.”

“I’m driving,” Justin declared taking the keys out of Brian’s hand.

“Why?”

“I don’t like the prospect of you driving into a tree.”

Brian snorted, but he didn’t argue as he got into the passenger seat.



*****



“Hi,” a little boy said as he came into the bunkhouse with his parents and a counselor. “My name’s Jed.”

“Hi, Jed,” Patrick replied. “I’m Patrick and these are my dads.”

Jed frowned at that statement but didn’t say anything more. His parents nodded to John and Bobby and then walked with the counselor to Jed’s assigned bed next to Patrick’s.

“We better get going,” Bobby said. “We have a long trip to New York once we get home.”

They walked out to John’s Navigator.

“I love you, Dad,” Patrick said as he hugged his father.

“I love you right back,” John said. “Have a great time, and we’ll see you for your final game the weekend after next.”

“I hope my team will be the best,” Patrick said with a big smile. “Love you, Poppa,” he said as Bobby crushed him against his chest.

“You’re getting so big,” Bobby observed. “You’ll do great, and you’ll learn so much over the next two weeks. I’ll miss you … so much.”

“Me too, Poppa,” Patrick said as his father finally released him. “Have a great trip to New York.”

“We will, son,” John replied as they got into the Navigator.

“There he goes,” Bobby said as he turned to look out the back. Patrick was already running towards his bunkhouse. “I’m going to miss him a lot.”

“Me too,” John said as he headed the Navigator out of the parking lot.



*****



“Are you okay?” Justin asked as they were heading back to Edna’s Treasures.

Brian shrugged and didn’t answer.

Justin didn’t know what else to say, so the trip continued in silence.



*****



“Do you think Patrick will be okay?” John asked as they drove towards home.

“I think he’ll be great,” Bobby said.

“I’m really sorry we won’t be at his first game.”

“He knows we’d like to be there. And we’ll make sure we’re back in time for the final game.”

“Yeah,” John said.

“We’re going to have a great time in New York,” Bobby declared with a smile.

“How do you know that?”

“I know because I’ll be with you.”

John smiled a happy smile as they drove on.



*****



“Hi,” Bree said as she went back into the bunkhouse.

“Hi,” Meghan said. Her parents had just left and she was taking some clothes out of her suitcase to hang in the closet. Bree started doing the same thing. “Didn’t your mommy come with you?” she asked Bree.

“I don’t have a mommy,” Bree replied.

“You don’t?” Meghan said in surprise. “That’s awful.”

“No it’s not,” Bree contradicted. “I have two daddies instead.”

“Oh, how come?”

“I don’t know,” Bree said. “I just do.”

“Okay,” Meghan agreed. “Let’s go to the mess hall. They said there would be snacks.”

“Great!” Bree concurred. She held out her hand and Meghan placed hers in it. The two girls left the bunkhouse and headed over to the meeting place for all the girls attending the camp.



*****



“Hi,” Patrick said to Jed as he reentered the bunkhouse.

Jed was hanging up some clothes, his parents having left already. “Hey,” Jed said. He frowned and looked at Patrick. “Did you say you have two dads … you know, before?”

“Yeah, that’s what I said,” Patrick replied. He could feel himself tensing up. He didn’t like it when people made comments about his fathers.

“How come?”

“I just do.”

“Oh,” Jed said. “Want to get something to drink?”

“Yeah.”

“Let’s go.”

The two boys headed out to the area beside the office where a table was set up with fruit juice and cookies.



*****



“Boys!” John called out as he and Bobby walked through the front door of Edna’s Treasures. “You ready?”

Loud feet came scurrying out of Gus’ room toward the front door. Bobby and John saw the mountain of bags and suitcases piled high waiting to be loaded into the Navigator.

“Are we going to fit all this stuff and still have room for the boys?” Bobby teased.

“I hope so. If not, Brian can ship the rest.”

“Did someone say my name in vain?” Brian snarked as he and Justin joined the party by their door.

“Yes, your lordship,” John snarked back. “We can use your help with your son’s bags.”

“And risk ruining my manicure?” Brian asked arching a brow as he buffed his nails against his t-shirt.

“Perhaps you’d like to drive your own son to New York?” John scowled at his brother, arching his own brow. Brian looked at his brother then at Justin and Bobby who snickered. The boys wisely remained quiet.

“So is the back open?” Brian asked innocently, grabbing several bags then heading out the door toward the Navigator. The guys cracked up as they all grabbed bags then followed Brian out. Within twenty minutes the Navigator was packed to the gills and the guys were ready to go.

“Sonny Boy,” Brian said in a low voice. Gus sidled up to his father before getting into the SUV. Brian hugged him, bussing the side of Gus’ head. “I’ve gotten used to you being around. Gotten used to having your boyfriend here too,” Brian said as he reached out to ruffle Ray’s hair.

“I’m going to miss you too, Pop,” Gus said as he hugged back.

“Behave yourself,” Brian said as he opened the Navigator door for Gus and Ray. They had just enough room to squeeze themselves into the back seat.

“I will, Pop.”

“Remember, you’re not only representing Kinnetik, you’re representing me. Pay attention to Stacey. They do things a little differently in New York. Make sure you take your cues from her. No grand standing.” Brian shook a finger at his son.

“I will.”

“Ray, do me a favor,” Brian began as he leaned into the SUV. “Keep an eye on him for me.”

“I will and thank you so much for having me. I had a great time.”

“We loved having you here too,” Justin said as he stuck his head under Brian’s arm to peer into the back. “Call us when you get to your house.”

“We will,” the boys said. Brian shut the door then went around to the driver’s side.

“Hey, drive carefully and have a good time. Don’t burn up the sheets too much at your hotel.”

“I’m sure with the whole house to yourself, we won’t be the only one burning up sheets,” John replied. “You’ll be there at Patrick’s first game?”

“We will, I promise. We have the schedule of all the games. Between the two of us, we should make all of them,” Brian promised his brother.

“My mother said she might try to get to one or two as well,” John added with a smile.

“My parents are looking forward to it,” Bobby said with pride. In spite of his dad’s busy schedule when Bobby was a kid, Dr. Dan made most of his games as well.

“We should get going. As it is we’re going to hit rush hour traffic,” John said. Brian tapped the roof of the SUV a couple of times just before John pulled away from the curb. Within minutes they were down the lane heading for the gate.

“That’s that,” Justin said as he leaned up to kiss Brian’s cheek then headed back into the cottage. Brian stared at the quiet empty lane for a few more minutes then slowly walked inside.



*****



“She’ll be back in two weeks. Why don’t you stop by the following Monday and then we can set up a schedule. I may not be here all the time but Brian should be. Bree’s looking forward to it. She’s been practicing her fingering every day. Yes, she is very serious. Okay, we’ll see you then. Bye, Faith.”

“Who was that?” Brian asked as he walked through the cottage door.

“Faith, the piano teacher. I set up a visit for when Bree gets back from camp. Will you be around to supervise?”

“I should be. Where are you planning to be?”

“My Then and Now show will be opening in a few weeks. I’ll be spending more time in the Pitts soon. Are you all right with that?”

“Just peachy,” Brian scowled. Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s waist.

“You’ll be fine, big guy. I have confidence in you.” Brian kissed the top of Justin’s head. “You hungry? I’ll make us lunch.” Brian smiled.

“Yeah, I’m hungry, Sunshine, but not for food.” Justin smiled into Brian’s chest.

“Come on then, let’s feed you,” Justin said as he took Brian’s hand then led him to their bedroom.



*****



“Mr. Todd? Mr. Schmidt is on the phone,” Jasmine, the garden center counter person told Todd as he was huddled over his computer keyboard trying to decipher his ledger.

“Mr. Schmidt?” Todd asked as he looked up. A light bulb went off when Todd finally recognized the name. “Oh, Ted. Okay, thanks, Jasmine.” Jasmine smiled as she left Todd’s office to go back to the counter.

“Hey, Todd, how’s it going?” Ted automatically asked as Todd came onto the line.

“It’s not. I think I’ve made a big mistake moving here and taking over this business.”

“W-why?” Ted stammered. “What makes you say that? Your early numbers showed so much promise.” Ted was taken aback and beginning to worry. Brian was almost never wrong when it came to his business ventures. And it was at Ted’s glowing recommendations that Brian pursued the garden center. Ted began to sweat.

“Ted, are you still there?” Todd asked.

“Y-yes, I’m still here.” Ted gulped then took a deep breath. “Can you be more specific regarding your reservations?” At Ted’s urging, Todd revealed all his concerns.  “You sound exhausted,” Ted said gently.

“I’ve never been this tired. Not even when I was a fixture in the backroom,” Todd retorted in a self deprecating tone.

“Have you spoken to Brian yet?”

“Not yet.”

“Why not?”

“He scares me,” Todd admitted.

“Yeah, he scares me too. But forgiveness is easier to get than permission.”

“In other words I better call him … and now.”

“Good idea,” Ted agreed then hung up to allow Todd to follow through.



*****



“Another good one, Sunshine,” Brian said with a groan as he rolled off Justin to catch his breath. Justin grunted as he stretched out the kinks then rolled onto his back.

“Yeah,” Justin murmured in assent.

“We have two whole weeks of fucking wherever and whenever we want,” Brian said with a satisfied smirk.

“True, but that might get a little dull after a while.”

“Never. My life is never dull with you,” Brian admitted in an emotional moment as he leaned over to give Justin a kiss.

“You always know what to say,” Justin murmured against Brian’s lips. As Justin began to nibble on Brian’s lips, Brian’s phone began to ring. “Don’t answer it,” Justin whispered as he tried to suck on Brian’s tongue.

“Hold that thought, Sunshine; it might be the camp,” Brian grumbled as he leaned over the edge of the bed to search his pants that were on the floor. Not immediately recognizing the number, Brian was a little annoyed at the interruption. “What?” Brian growled.

“Brian, it’s Todd. We really have to talk.”

“Go on.” Brian heard the stress in Todd’s voice.

“Can we meet?”

“Sure, but why don’t you just tell me what’s wrong,” Brian insisted. Brian could hear Todd sigh.

“I’m about to disappoint you, Brian.”

“How? Did the mayor’s wife renege on her bill?”

“No. On the contrary, many of her friends have called to book consultations.”

“So what’s the problem? I told you that you’d be swimming in business,” Brian said as Justin rested his chin on Brian’s chest. The deep blues eyes were intensely watching Brian’s face.

“Drowning is a better word. I can’t keep up. I haven’t been able to review my books. I have no idea what stock to order and I haven’t had a day off in weeks. I want to go back to Chicago.”

“So the bottom boy is ready to quit and run,” Brian said in a low cold tone. “You never struck me as a quitter. You had plenty of stamina in the old days. What changed?”

“I...you have no right...”

“I have every right and I’ll exercise it in about an hour,” Brian snarled then snapped his phone shut. He took a couple of deep breaths then sat up. “Do you have time to come with me to the garden center? Todd is having a crisis.”

“I heard. Sure, I’ll come with you. I always come with you,” Justin said smiling, trying to lighten the tension. “But what can I do? I don’t know a thing about landscaping,” Justin said as they hustled into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

“You can keep me from killing Todd,” Brian growled as he turned on the water for their shower.