- Text Size +

 

Incense



I’ve learned from our years together the ‘holidays’ and playtimes there are certain scents he loves and some he hates; or if too strong makes him sneeze till he’s so uncomfortable that the romantic mood is over before it starts.  As I said I’ve learned.

So when I want to spice things up I choose the spice with his delicate nose in mind.

For me it makes no difference his scent is the only one I need.  If I could find a way of creating ‘Justin incense’ I would. I’d have it my car, in my office, at the gym, maybe not I don’t want to share; and for here especially when he’s at the studio creating some wonderful masterpiece.

Sometimes I don’t see him for days and I miss that scent.  But tonight he’ll be home. He’s finished with the piece tomorrow it’ll be on its way to wherever to whomever.  So tonight I light the candles and burn the incense.

I have his favorite wine breathing and his favorite foods all prepared.  And I wait, not for long because he called. Just a few more minutes and the best scent in the world will be right under my nose, on my hands, my mouth and any other body part I can get it on.  His scent, Justin’s scent; it’s my air my blood, I never want to be without it.

One thing I know I got the incense right; a little vanilla, a little cinnamon and raspberry.  We tried orange once big mistake. It made him sneeze for days poor baby. He had to stay at Daph’s until it finally faded.  The whole loft had to be cleaned including our clothes, curtains, rugs, linens, everything. So no orange.

But he likes vanilla, vanilla oil, vanilla ice cream, vanilla kisses.   Yeah he loves vanilla. Luckily I have some in the freezer just for him.

I hear the elevator…

“Hey”

“Hey baby”

“I missed you Brian”

“Missed you too baby; are you home for a while?”

“Uh huh weeks before my next project; you?”

“Yup no impossible ad campaign for now, next week we start research on a new one.”

“The loft smells nice I love it when you do this”

“I love you baby come here sit with me, want a shower?”

“Yeah but in a minute want to cuddle”

“Sit on my lap, there, better?”

“Uh huh …Bri?”

“What baby?”

“Will it ever get easier?”

“You mean the work, yours and mine?”

“Yeah”

“Don’t think so; when you love something or someone so much it’s always hard work you know that.”

“Yeah, love you Bri---yawn”

“Love you baby”

snore

So I let him sleep snuggled into my shoulder then tuck him into bed.  I’ll re-cork the wine put away the food till he’s ready. But I’ll keep the incense burning for a while; just the vanilla it reminds me of him.

I watch him sleep then curl next to him to breathe in his scent; the best incense in my world.





Sabina

11/13/03