- Text Size +

 

Net Friends

Chapter 3

Justin slid into the seat at a computer. He was at PIFA between classes and he had decided that he better contact Rue and find out exactly what was happening. If indeed Rue was coming to Pittsburgh in a few days then he better tell Brian. He logged on.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Pet: Hey, good to hear from U. How did it go with the boyfriend the other day?

Slip: Um…great.

Pet: U always say that.

Slip: That's because it always is great.

Pet: Lucky U. I'm jealous.

Slip: Anybody would be. Brian's the best.

Pet: U don't always say that.

Slip: Sometimes we have our disagreements.

Pet: Will I get to meet him when I come to Pittsburgh?

Slip: I hope so. Actually that's why I contacted you. Are U coming for sure?

Pet: Yep. I already checked the bus schedule and bought a ticket. I'll be there Friday evening about 7:30.

Slip: Great.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin wondered how great it would really be. He suspected that Brian wouldn't like this at all. He'd have to tell him tonight.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Pet: Can U meet me at the bus station?

Slip: I guess. I'll try, but I may have to do something else. Let me talk to Brian first.

Pet: Do U have to get his permission for everything?

Slip: Of course not!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin was annoyed, annoyed because there was a grain of truth to Pet's statement. He did need Brian's permission for a lot of things, because Brian paid for almost everything, and made most of the decisions. Shit! He didn't want to go there.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Pet: Are U still there?

Slip: Sure.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

He was wondering if maybe this was all a big mistake and he should tell Pet that he couldn't meet him. Maybe tell him not to come at all.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Pet: I'm really looking forward to meeting you.

Slip: Me too. Justin lied.

Pet: Will you be able to come with me to the Warhol on Saturday.

Slip: I'll try.

Pet: It will be so much more fun if U can.

Slip: I'll do my best.

Pet: Would we be able to go to that club you talk about sometimes?

Slip: U mean Babylon?

Pet: Yeah.

Slip: Maybe…on Saturday night.

Pet: That would be great!

Slip: Right.

Pet: Maybe I could find a boyfriend as great as yours.

Slip: U never know.

Pet: I'm so excited. It's going to be great, meeting U, hanging out together, going to Babylon.

Slip: Yeah.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin had to admit that Pet's enthusiasm was infectious. He was looking forward to meeting his "net friend". He had an image of what Pet would be like and he was eager to see if his idea was correct. He had always enjoyed their internet conversations. Pet was so understanding and sometimes made him realize truths that he didn't always want to see. He wondered if all that would be true in person. He didn't see how it could be otherwise. He realized he was smiling in spite of himself. He actually was looking forward to their time together.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Pet: Can't wait.

Pet: Justin, are U excited?

Pet: Justin!

Pet: Have U logged off?

Slip: Sorry, I was just thinking.

Pet: No problem.

Slip: I have to go to class. I'll let U know before Friday about meeting U at the bus station.

Pet: Talk to U soon and see U before long.

Slip: Yeah.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin logged off. He had some things to do before he could meet Pet. The first one was to talk to Brian. He was very sure that Brian wouldn't want to be taking Pet to Babylon. He'd have to really work on that one. Maybe he and Pet could go without Brian. Yeah, that was a surefire plan!

Justin wondered what he had gotten himself into. He liked Pet a lot and appreciated the way the guy had always supported him online. Meeting him was like … a blind date, yeah a blind date. It was going to be awkward but they would get past it, and he was sure that he was going to like Pet, or Rue as he should be calling him, a lot.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Brian looked at Justin as he wolfed down his burger. They were seated in the diner, Justin taking his break for supper and Brian there to keep him company. He had felt for the last two days that Justin had something to tell him, something that the boy seemed unable to get out. Justin was working on his fries when he looked up and realized that Brian had been studying him.

"What?" he asked with his mouth full.

"Why don't you just spill and save us both the aggravation and worry?"

Justin looked sheepish and stuffed another fry into his mouth as he decided what to say. "I do have something I want to run past you."

"No shit!"

"I'm not sure how you'll react and I don't want to fight."

"Tell me or we start fighting right now," Brian ordered narrowing his eyes to make his point.

"Okay," Justin said wiping his mouth. He had suddenly lost his appetite. "You know I belong to an internet chat group called 'Art Nouveau'?"

"Actually, no, I didn't," Brian said with a frown trying to figure out what this had to do with anything.

"Well I do. I chat to other young artists about our work and what's going on in our lives."

"So," Brian said with annoyance. He couldn't see what this was all about.

"Um … one of the people I chat with … um … is coming to Pittsburgh on Friday," Justin said in a rush like skipping over the words would make it all right or Brian might not hear it all and he could avoid explaining.

"So?"

"His name's Pet, actually Picasso's Pet. We each have a name related to an artist that we like."

"So?" Brian repeated.

"Well, his real name is Rue. That's what he calls himself. It's really Ruben, but he shortened it to Rue because he thought it would make for a more interesting artist's name. It is kind of different." Justin stopped abruptly realizing that he had been rambling and unable to stop.

"So?" Brian hoped the blond jabberwocky across from him might get to the point soon.

"So, he's coming here on Friday and I'm supposed to meet him at the bus terminal downtown."

"You're meeting someone from the internet downtown?" Brian asked, a sudden chill creeping along his spine. "Are you fucking nuts?"

"No," Justin said shocked at Brian's reaction. He thought Brian wouldn't like the whole Pet thing, but he hadn't expected this level of disapproval. "Why did you react like that?" He could hardly wait till he told Brian that they were taking Pet to Babylon on Saturday night.

"I don't think meeting people off the internet is very wise … or safe."

"Why? Pet and I have been talking for months. I feel like I already know him."

"But that's the point. You don't know him."

"What do you mean?"

"You only know what he has chosen to reveal about himself. He could be anyone, anything, from an axe murderer to a fucking Republican!"

Justin almost choked on his Coke as he had taken a sip to relieve some of the dryness that had suddenly crept up his throat. "I'm sure he's neither of those things," Justin said with a chuckle.

"This isn't fucking funny, Justin! You don't know what you're getting into."

"I'm not getting into anything," Justin replied defensively. "I'm just going to meet a friend."

"You shouldn't be meeting anyone from the internet."

"You used to meet them all the time, and probably still do."

"What do you mean?" Brian asked raising his eyebrows.

"Remember Mr. Goodfuck?"

"That was sex, not friendship."

"And your point would be?"

"That I wasn't setting myself up to be hurt."

"And neither am I. You could have been killed by Mr. Goodfuck or any of the thousands of other men you found by whatever means. I've talked to Pet, Rue, and I like him."

Brian shook his head. "You're going to regret this. What's on the internet should stay on the internet. You can't trust anything they say."

"Are you speaking from personal experience?" Justin asked.

"Maybe, but the fact remains that I think this is a bad idea."

"And I think it's a good idea," Justin retorted fed up with Brian's negative attitude. "I have to get back to work." Justin slid out of the booth and stood up. Brian grabbed his wrist before he moved away.

"I mean it, Justin. Tell him not to come, or just forget to meet him."

"No," Justin said firmly. "If you're really worried about me, why don't you come to the bus station with me?"

Brian groaned. "I don't do bus stations."

"Fine, then leave me alone. I'll go by myself, and I'm taking him to Babylon on Saturday night. I had hoped you would go with us, but don't bother."

Justin walked away hearing Brian's groan as he left.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin sat at his computer in the loft. He had moved it back when he and Brian sort of got back together after the Stockwell fiasco. Sometimes he wished he had left it at Daphne's. He still spent a night there now and then when he and Brian had a spat or when one or the other of them needed some space.

They had had a spat at the diner and Justin wasn't at all sure what to do about it. He had debated going to stay at Daphne's for a day or two, but that wouldn't really solve anything. Brian had fucked him senseless when he came home after their spat, and everything had kind of gone back to normal.

He knew Brian still fucked other guys. He didn't bring them to the loft anymore though, at least not when he knew Justin would be there. He was pretty sure he and Brian weren't exclusive. They had never actually discussed that. Justin had said he knew where his place was and he had no intention of trying to put restrictions on their "relationship". That hadn't worked in the past. Mostly they were getting along okay, except for this fucking Pet thing.

Brian had not mentioned it since the diner, but Justin knew that he disapproved of the whole thing. It was just like Brian to not say another word. However, that didn't make Justin feel any better.

Justin logged on to Art Nouveau. Pet was on line, as always. He tried to contact him, but got no answer even though his computer must be linked to the site. That was strange because Pet always seemed to be there. He looked to see who else was on line. He found Wyeth's Whimsy, a girl that he had occasionally chatted with. She loved the work of Andrew Wyeth.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Slip: Hi, Whimsy. Haven't talked to you in ages.

Whimsy: Hi back. Have you done any interesting pieces lately?

Slip: Still working on computer and traditional art forms in combination. Got some neat results, but it's still in flux.

Whimsy: Sounds interesting. I'm doing some watercolor pieces, trying to master using that medium.

Slip: It's not easy. I had a watercolor course last year.

Whimsy: That's for sure. It's very unforgiving.

Slip: Have you ever talked to Picasso's Pet?

Whimsy: Yeah, why do you ask?

Slip: He's coming to visit me.

Whimsy: Really? Do you think that's wise?

Slip: Why not?

Whimsy: Um …I don't know if I should say anything.

Slip: Why? Tell me.

Whimsy: It's nothing to be scared of. He was always very friendly and supportive.

Slip: Phew! That's good.

Whimsy: I'm not done yet.

Slip: Oh?

Whimsy: I live in California and he started hinting that he wanted to visit out here, maybe stay with me. I told him I didn't have space. He asked if I could loan him some money to fly out. I told him I'm a student and that I had no money, barely enough for myself.

Slip: So what happened? Justin felt the beginnings of worry creeping into his system.

Whimsy: Nothing really. When I said I couldn't lend him money, he stopped talking to me. Haven't heard a word from him since, even though he's on this site all the time.

Slip: That doesn't sound like Pet.

Whimsy: I know. He was always so nice. I thought he was maybe mad for awhile and would get over it, but he hasn't.

Slip: Wow.

Whimsy: There's one more thing and I have no proof, so you can take this for what it's worth. After Pet stopped talking to me, so did several other people on Art Nouveau.

Slip: What does that mean?

Whimsy: Your guess is as good as mine.

Slip: Thanks Whimsy, you've given me a lot to think about.

Whimsy: I hope I haven't spoken out of turn, but that's what happened.

Slip: I understand.

Whimsy: Be careful.

Slip: I will and thanks.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin logged off with Whimsy. He wondered what he could do. Everyone seemed to be against him meeting Pet, and he had to admit that he was beginning to have some doubts too. He really didn't think Pet would do anything bad. Whimsy said she had no proof. He'd already told Pet to come so he had to go through with it.

The computer pinged at him indicating that someone wanted to chat. He looked and sure enough it was Pet. He made the connection with a sigh.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Pet: Slip, were you trying to reach me?

Slip: Yeah, where were you? You're always here.

Pet: I had to go get some dinner from down the street. I wasn't gone long.

Slip: Sure. I will meet you at the bus depot.

Pet: Great!

Slip: How will I know you?

Pet: I have dark hair and I'll be carrying my art portfolio to show you my work.

Slip: That's not much info, but I doubt there will be two people carrying portfolios at the terminal.

Pet: Highly unlikely.

Slip: Right. I have blond hair and I'll be wearing kind of a pale green jacket.

Pet: Looking forward to meeting you. This is going to be so great.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin found himself smiling at Pet's enthusiasm. Maybe it would be all right.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Slip: I hope so.

Pet: What about the boyfriend? Will he be with you?

Slip: No. I'll see you tomorrow night. I have a motel lined up.

Pet: Great. See U soon.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin logged off. He wondered if he was making a big mistake. He didn't really think so. He was a little anxious about meeting Pet, but he was sure he was worrying for nothing. Everything would be fine. If only he could get Brian to come around.