- Text Size +

 

Net Friends

Chapter 9

Justin opened the loft door and stepped inside. He turned to close it, suddenly realizing that Brian was at his computer watching him.

"Hey," Justin said without much enthusiasm.

"You look like you just lost your last friend," Brian said as he continued to watch Justin.

"My 'friend' is safely on the bus by now and … that's that."

"Did something happen between you two bosom buddies?"

Justin wasn't sure how much he wanted to tell Brian. "Let's just say that it's probably a good thing that he left when he did."

"I see," Brian said not really seeing at all, but understanding that Justin had somehow been hurt again. He would have liked to have had Rue there right at the moment. He could think of a few choice things that he would say to him. "Did you have something to eat?" Food usually made Justin feel better.

"Yeah."

"Then let's go to Woody's. I'll buy you a drink or two."

"Thanks. I'm glad you'll be paying."

Brian frowned. Usually Justin wanted to pay his own way. He wondered what that last statement was all about.

They walked into Woody's about half an hour later. Brian went to the bar and got a couple of shots while Justin scouted out a table to play pool. None were available at the moment so they found some seats at a table.

"Want to talk about it?" Brian asked.

They each downed their shot.

"I need a beer to chase that down," Justin said standing up.

"Tell them to add it to my tab," Brian said.

Justin went to the bar to grab the beers. He wanted to tell Brian everything, but he could hear the 'I told you so' and he didn't think he was ready for that. He got the beers and carried them back to the table. They took a couple of sips and neither said anything.

"Are you going to tell me?" Brian asked.

"I haven't decided yet."

"What did he do?"

"He didn't like my art."

"What?"

"You heard me. He said it was too avant-garde for his taste."

"And just what the fuck is his taste?"

"Picasso."

"Is that all?"

"That's it."

"What the fuck kind of artist is he?"

"An untalented, unimaginative, un-artist."

"What do you mean un-artist?" Brian asked with a frown.

"He doesn't even go to art college."

"But I thought you met him through that site for student artists."

"Anyone can join."

"You're telling me that he's not even an art student?"

"That's right; although I'm sure he told me early on that he was."

"So he's a liar and a fraud."

"That's a little harsh," Justin said in defense of his friend.

"But true."

"I guess so."

"Jesus, Justin, what did you get yourself into with this guy."

"I … I don't know," Justin said forlornly.

"Hey, guys," Michael said pulling up a chair from another table.

"What are you doing here without the good professor?" Brian asked giving Michael a kiss.

Justin watched the obvious affection between the two. He had no male friend like that, and truthfully he was envious that Brian and Michael had this open acceptance and love for each other. Maybe that was what he had hoped to find with Rue.

"Ben's working on his lecture. Sometimes he can work better when I'm not there to distract him. I called Emmett and he's meeting me here."

"Grab a beer, Mikey," Brian told him.

Michael went to the bar just as Emmett arrived. Emmett sashayed over to Michael and ordered a drink too. Michael pointed to Brian and Justin. Emmett waved and made his way over to them.

"Hi, boys," he said cheerily smiling as he pulled up another chair.

"Hey, Emm," Justin said. "You're in a good mood tonight."

"What's the point in brooding? That's what my Aunt Lula would always say."

That statement made Justin wonder what the fuck he was brooding about. Rue had let him down, but there was nothing he could do about it. Rue was gone, and once he got his money back, he didn't have to worry about him anymore. In fact, he would never have to speak to him if he decided not to. That made him feel a little better.

Michael returned with his beer and a cosmo for Emmett.

"Your friend really liked cosmo's," Emmett observed. "Has he gone back home?"

"I put him on a bus a couple of hours ago."

"He was … um … interesting," Emmett said.

"How so?" Brian asked interested to hear what Emmett had thought about Rue.

"He danced with me for awhile," Emmett began.

"Thanks for that, Emm," Justin said with a little smile.

"You're welcome, honey, but your friend didn't seem to appreciate it very much."

"Why? What did he do?"

"He had some … comments about my dancing."

"Comments?"

"He told me that he thought I was too much of an exhibitionist."

"You?" Brian asked with a smirk.

"I know I can be a little over the top, but that's my style. I don't need to be called an exhibitionist. I'm not. I just do what I feel." They all knew that was true.

"He shouldn't have said that to you," Justin said feeling bad all over again that Rue had dissed someone else he cared about. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, don't be sorry. I told him I was just fine the way I was, and if he didn't like the heat I generated on the dance floor, he better find himself another partner."

"Good for you, Emm," Michael said.

"So what did he say to that?" Justin asked.

"He flipped me the finger and started dancing with that guy that he had met before. That's when I came back to the bar."

"And he went back to the motel with his conquest," Justin said realizing what a shit Rue had been to Emmett.

"He did?" Emmett asked.

Justin nodded. "He told me so. I guess they had a good time."

"There must be more under that pudgy exterior than you would think," Emmett mused.

"If you can believe him," Brian added.

"Can't we believe him?" Emmett asked.

"Some of his statements have been less than truthful," Brian said.

"Do we have to talk about him?" Justin asked not wanting everyone to find out all the negative things about his so-called net friend.

"What would you like to talk about?" Michael asked.

"Have you got any ideas for the next Rage?" Justin said trying to divert the conversation onto something other than Rue.

They chatted for awhile, had a few more drinks, discussed the possibility of going to Babylon and finally got a pool table when many of the clientele headed to the dance club after eleven o'clock.

Brian and Justin took on Michael and Emmett. The latter got clobbered. Emmett wasn't much better at pool than he was at bowling. One game was enough.

As they left Woody's Justin looked around. At least he hadn't brought Rue there. He wouldn't have any memories of his friend to worry about when he went to this club. Brian flung his arm over Justin's shoulders and walked him down the steps.

"Feeling better?" Brian asked.

"Not much."

"Don't let him get to you. He's gone now, so forget about him."

"It's not that easy."

"I know, but I'll try to make it all better when we get home."

"Perhaps you can," Justin said with a giggle as Brian nibbled on his neck.

When they arrived at the loft they were all worked up. Brian shoved Justin against the door after he slid it closed. His mouth captured that of his young lover and his tongue delved in. He felt Justin kiss back and then suddenly Justin's concentration seemed to wander.

"I never had that happen before," Brian thought. "Justin," he said aloud.

"Um … what?"

"Where did you go?"

"I was thinking about Rue."

"Fuck Rue!"

"I wish I had never told him to come here," Justin said looking forlorn.

"That makes two of us."

Brian turned away and went up the steps to the bedroom. Justin took off his jacket and went over to the couch. He slumped down on it.

"Justin!" Brian said suddenly.

"What now?"

"Have you been into my stash?"

"What are you talking about?" Justin asked standing and moving towards the bedroom to see what Brian was referring to.

Brian was rummaging through the chest that housed his drug supply. "Half my pot is missing and some of the E and who knows what else."

"I never touched it," Justin said and Brian knew that he wouldn't lie."

"What could have happened to it?"

"Are you sure you didn't get high and use more than you thought?" Justin asked reasonably.

"I'm sure."

"Then maybe one of your tricks…" Justin didn't finish that statement.

Brian thought back to who he had had at the loft since he had last used his stash. He didn't see how any of them could have taken his shit. "I don't think so," Brian said still thinking of where his drugs could have disappeared to.

"Maybe your stash ran away with your gold lighter," Justin said with a chuckle.

"It's not fucking funny. Where is this stuff going?"

"I have no answers," Justin said and went back to sit on the couch.

Brian rattled around the bedroom for awhile and then appeared with two reefers that he had rolled. He used his old Zippo lighter to ignite one which he handed to Justin. "Here, maybe this will help you chill and forget about that asshole."

'Thanks," Justin replied and he took a long, deep drag. He coughed a bit afterwards. "Strong shit," he said to Brian who was lighting his own.

"Only the best," Brian said dropping down beside him on the couch. "Enjoy."

"I'm going to," Justin replied taking another puff. He could feel the effects already making their presence felt. He let his head fall back against the couch and simply enjoyed the feeling.

When Brian pulled him up to the bedroom some time later, he was much more mellow and the sex was delicious. He was very hungry afterwards.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Monday Justin went back to school and his life went back to normal - more or less. He had a tutorial on "Wuthering Heights". It was with Rod whom he liked, but the class didn't do a whole lot to make him appreciate the story more. He still didn't like it, or enjoy it or get it. He thought Heathcliff was an asshole and Cathy must have been an idiot to love him. He would have to read the rest of the fucking story for the next session. He dreaded the hours he would have to waste reading the fucking novel.

After the tutorial he went into the computer lab. He wondered if Rue had got home all right. Maybe he could find out when to expect his money. He had added up what he thought Rue owed him including motel, clothes, meals and admission tickets. It came to a little over five hundred dollars. He couldn't believe that they had spent so much, and that was just Rue's part.

His credit card statement would come around the middle of the month. He had put most of the costs on it and he wanted to be able to pay it off. He hated paying those exorbitant interest charges when he couldn't clear the balance. He needed Rue to pay him back soon so that he could avoid racking up the interest charges.

He logged onto Art Nouveau looking for Rue. Sure enough he was there. He requested an IM. Rue responded right away.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Pet: Hey, Justin, great to hear from you.

Slip: Guess you got home okay.

Pet: Long ride. Boring.

Slip: Too bad.

Pet: I had a great time in Pittsburgh.

Slip: Good.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin was waiting for Rue to mention the money, but it didn't seem like that was going to happen.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Pet: How's the boyfriend?

Slip: He's okay.

Pet: Just okay?

Slip: Brian's always great.

Pet: U are so full of it.

Slip: He is. He lent us his car and treated us to lunch.

Pet: And gave me the willies.

Slip: Yeah. Speaking of treating, have you any idea when you can send me some money?

Pet: U mean you really want me to pay you back? I thought that was a gift.

Slip: Um … I'm expecting some money.

Pet: I know. I'm kidding.

Slip: So can you send some soon. My credit card statement will be here in a couple of weeks.

Pet: I'll see what I can do.

Slip: Thanks.

Pet: Well, I better go. Got business to do.

Slip: Sure, talk to you later.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin logged off. He couldn't remember the last time Pet had ever cut off their chat. He hoped that wasn't an ominous sign. Pet had been a little evasive about when he would send the money. As he walked to his next class, Justin tried to convince himself that there was nothing to worry about.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

A couple of days went by and Justin heard nothing further from Rue. He checked the mail every day to see if a check or money order would arrive. Nothing. By the fourth day Justin was starting to worry. He decided he better contact Rue. He logged on and IM'd Rue.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Slip: Hi, Rue, haven't heard from you for a few days.

Pet: Sorry about that, I've been kind of busy.

Slip: Doing what? (Justin always wondered what Rue did all day, especially now that he knew he really wasn't an art student.)

Pet: Working on some new pieces of art.

Slip: Really? What are they like?

Pet: I'm trying some of the things I saw you do with your work.

Slip: Like what?

Pet: I'm using some computer generated figures and hand coloring them.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin groaned inwardly. That wasn't how his art pieces were done at all, although he could see why Rue might think that. He wondered what kind of poor imitations of his stuff Rue had produced.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Slip: Get any interesting results?

Pet: Yeah, I like them.

Slip: That's good, I guess. Rue, have you sent me the money yet?

Pet: Put it in the mail this morning.

Slip: Great!

Pet: You should have it in three or four days.

Slip: Thanks.

Pet: Been to Babylon since I was there?

Slip: No, but Brian and I might go tonight.

Pet: How is the boyfriend?

Slip: Just fine.

Pet: I bet.

Slip: I should go. Talk to you soon.

Pet: Right.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Justin logged off wondering why every time Rue mentioned Brian he could feel an implied criticism. Rue and Brian really didn't like each other. The good thing was that Rue had mailed him the money and he should have it in a few days in time to pay off his credit card.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Do you want to go to Babylon tonight?" Brian asked switching off his computer.

It was after eleven o'clock, but Brian was restless and he thought maybe Justin could use some distraction. He had been moping around the last few days. He had spent a couple of nights at Daphne's saying he had to read something or needed some time alone. Brian wasn't sure what was wrong, but he was sure that something was. Maybe he could loosen Justin up with a few drinks and a couple of dances. He needed to know what was going on. He wanted Justin to stay the night and he wanted to fuck him without worrying about what was bothering him.

"Sounds good to me," Justin replied. Knowing his money was on its way made him feel ever so much better.

When they arrived at Babylon things were in full swing. Justin dragged Brian onto the dance floor immediately. They danced to three or four songs before Brian insisted he had to have a drink or he was going to collapse into a dehydrated lump on the floor. They made their way over to the bar.

"Two double Beams," Brian requested. "And a couple of beer chasers."

They downed the Beam and sipped on their beers leaning against the bar and watching the dancers.

"Isn't that the guy who was dancing with Rue the other night?" Justin asked indicating a man dancing nearby.

"How the fuck should I know what Rue was doing?"

Justin glared at him as said man walked towards the bar to get a drink.

"Hey," Justin said to him after he had ordered his drink.

"Hey," the man responded.

"I saw you here the other night," Justin continued.

"Yeah? I've noticed you too."

"Thanks, but I think you were dancing with a friend of mine."

"Oh, who might that be?"

"Rue."

"What the fuck kind of name is that?"

"It's the name of the guy you were dancing with on Saturday night, the one you left with."

"Oh him? His name was Roy."

"No, his name is Rue," Justin insisted.

"He specifically told me his name was Roy, Roy Elson."

"But …" Justin didn't know what to say to that.

"He was the guy in the red shirt, right?" Brian asked wanting to be sure they were talking about the same guy.

"Yeah, I drove him to this seedy motel and he blew me. I wanted to fuck him, but he was weird. Pulled out some pot and rolled a couple. Lit them with a gold lighter that must have cost a fortune. And here he is staying in this crappy fleabag motel! The shit he had was awesome though."

Justin could feel the color drain from his face. This couldn't be his Rue.

"Did you fuck him?" Brian asked.

"No, he got kind of sad, maudlin, after we did the pot. He was spacey and sleepy so I left. Don't think I missed much."

"Probably not," Brian agreed.

"Well, see ya'," the guy said finishing off his drink and making his way back onto the dance floor.

Brian looked at Justin who was as white as a sheet.

"I need to go home, Brian. Right now!"