- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Justin’s new client is an arrogant prick, but he’s rich and has great taste. So who’s he to turn down the huge commission for his interior design?


Title: Rich, Arrogant Prick…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 2628
Warnings: Anti-Michael, Passion and Lust…
Beta Queen: Bigj52

Summary: Justin’s new client is an arrogant prick, but he’s rich and has great taste. So who’s he to turn down the huge commission for his interior design?

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Rich, Arrogant Prick


Part One ~ Total Diva

Justin stands next to the hospital bed, listening to his friend, Steve begging him to take on his client. The more he listens, the more he’s starting to wonder if Steve is trying to convince him to say no.

“No. Wait. I didn’t mean that. I just meant that he’s just one of those difficult clients, who thinks he knows more than you do.”

“Um hum…”

“Okay. That came out wrong too. He’s totally rich, the sky’s the limit with him. He has very good taste, and he’s willing to pay for the best. And quite frankly you’re way better than I am.”

Justin thinks, ‘that’s a given.’

“Tell me. If you weren’t laying in this bed with a broken leg, and a fractured collarbone, would you still think he’s a dream client? Or would you be trying to pawn him off on me, like you are right now?”

“I admit, he’s challenging. But hell yes, I’d want him as my client. He’s fucking gorgeous. I’m salivating just thinking about him.”

“You know, unlike you, I don’t fuck my clients. It’s a little thing called integrity.”

“You don’t have to fuck him. But trust me, you will…”

“The longer this conversation goes on, the more I’m convinced that I don’t want anything to do with this Mr. Kinney.”

“Justin. You have to do me this favor. He’s on a time crunch, and there isn’t time for him to find someone else. Listen, the design plans are all drawn up, all you just have to do is present them to him.”

“What’s the rush?”

“His son is coming for a visit. We’re remodeling his loft, and putting in a bedroom for the toddler.”

“Kids? You’re designing a kid’s room?”

“It’s an unlimited budget. Think of the commission.”

“I don’t do kids and family friendly design! I do high-end cutting edge, designer homes and apartments.”

“I know. That’s why you’re perfect.”

“I don’t need all the drama. The constantly changing design ideas and whining, when I won’t bow to their every whim!”

“Please, Justin. Just meet with him before you decide.”

Reluctantly Justin agrees to take over for Steve. He doesn’t have any clients right now, and he could use the cash, so he can surprise his musician boyfriend, who’s on tour in Europe. Plus, if he banks a few dollars, he could spend more time painting, his true profession. He only designs homes to keep his bank account flush. His design career happened by accident, as he needed a few more credits to graduate early. He took a few interior design classes and his professors raved about his designs. It seems he’s a natural. He’s only been designing for the last six months, but he’s made a name for himself. He’s even won a couple of awards. He limits the time he works, so he can focus on his painting. Now he’s in high demand, and the fact that he’s finicky about his clients, only makes him even more popular with the county club set.

~~~

Justin is sitting in the lobby of Kinnetik, waiting for his new client, Brian Kinney. He’s been waiting for almost an hour and is ready to leave, when he’s escorted into the conference room by a tall blonde. He went through the presentation last night to familiarize himself with Steve’s proposal. It’s not his taste, but if this is what the client wants, who am he to question it? He’s hoping this project won’t take more than four to six weeks, just like Steve has estimated.

“Who that fuck are you? You’re not Steve Baldwin.”

“Justin Taylor, I’m…”

Justin couldn’t even finish his sentence. “Out of here! I hired Steve, not some green underling working for him!”

“What? I’m not anyone’s underling! I have my own design firm, and quite frankly I’m a much better designer than Steve will ever hope to be!”

Smirking, Brian says, “So, why are you here? Trying to snatch his client, are you?”

“No! I’m doing him a favor, or at least I was. But I have no intention of working for an arrogant prick like you.”

Justin stands, gathering up the design plans, shoving them into his portfolio.

“You’ve got balls, Mr. Taylor. Not many people stand up to me like that. I like it.”

“Fuck off!”

“Hold on, let see what you’ve come up with.”

“I haven’t come up with anything. These are Steve’s designs.”

“Right. So where the hell is he, anyways?”

“He was in a car accident. He broke his leg and collarbone. So he’ll be out of commission for a while.”

Justin looks Brian up and down, deciding if he’s even interested in working with him. He has to admit that the man dresses with class, nothing but high-end designers for this asshole. Finally he spreads the floor plans out on the table, but Brian is more focused on Justin’s perfect bubble butt.

“Hey! Eyes on the table, and don’t even think about it. I don’t sleep with my clients.”

“Neither do I!”

Well, not anymore, anyways…

Once Justin has redirected Brian’s attention back to the matter at hand, he starts explaining how there will be a wall constructed about ten feet from the kitchen area, and fifteen feet from the windows. His son’s room will be ten by fifteen feet, and the new wall will create a dining room next to the kitchen.

“Stop! No! I don’t like that! I don’t like how closed in that feels.”

Justin shuffles through several pages of the contract, reading the notes for the design project.

“According to Steve’s notes and the contract you signed, this is where you wanted the room added to the loft.”

“That may be. But now that I see the sketches, I don’t like it. It blocks the view, and it will be too dark.

Justin can’t disagree, he doesn’t like the design himself. He would never design a bedroom without windows, and the dining room would be dark without the natural light.

“Yes. I can see the disadvantages with this floor plan. I’d be glad to create a more inviting space for you. But just so we’re clear, you’re still responsible for the original design and time Steve put into creating this floor plan.”

“Of course! Do I look like I can’t afford it? I’m a businessman, and I understand the meaning of signing a contract, and my financial responsibility!”

Justin takes a deep breath, thinking ‘what a fucking asshole’! What have I gotten myself into?

“Good. I’ll have Sally, Steve’s secretary send you a final bill and the project will be closed. Now, I’ll need to see the space, in order to design an appropriate space for your son. Shall we set up an appointment?”

“No. Let’s do it now. I don’t have time to waste. I need this project completed in a month.”

“A month? Steve said that final completion date was in six weeks. A month is completely out of the question. Simply impossible!”

“Nothing is impossible! It’s what I want! And I always get what I want!”

Then Brian smirks, thinking to himself that he wants to jump Justin’s bones and hammer his ass right into the floor.

Justin stands defiant, finally saying, “You’ll have to pay a premium price for my time, labor and all expenses incurred for an expedited project.”

“Of course! I’d expect no less.”

“Fine! Let’s go see the space.”

“Fine! Let’s go!”

“Cynthia! I’ll be gone the rest of the afternoon. Call me on my cell if there’s an emergency.”

Justin looks at Brian, knowing he’s going to regret taking on this client. But he smiles, and follows him out of the conference room. Once they’re at the loft, he walks around the space, measuring, frowning and scratching his head.

“Your loft isn’t the ideal space for adding a child’s bedroom.”

“Yes. I know. That’s why I’m hiring you.”

“Mr. Kinney, I can design a bedroom, but I can’t make additional space appear out of nowhere, and retain the original character of the loft. If you insist on keeping your office area where it is, and refuse to consider enclosing the alcove near your bedroom, I don’t see how it’s possible to redesign this space, without creating a dining room and bedroom without any natural light.”

Brian gets a pissy look on his face, and snarks, “You’re the designer! Figure it out!”

Justin circles the loft, looking at every nook and cranny. Brian watches him, liking the way he moves, and he’s soon back to wanting to nail his ass.

Justin clears his throat to get Brian’s attention. It’s clear Brian didn’t hear Justin’s question.

“I said, where does this door go?”

There’s a door at the end of the kitchen, designed to blend into the cabinets, so it’s not noticeable to the naked eye.

“It goes upstairs.”

Justin raises his eyebrows, expecting Brian to continue.

“And just what is upstairs?”

“Nothing. Storage, and access to the roof.”

“Can I see it?”

“Why? It’s just a couple of unfinished rooms, and a door to outside.”

Justin looks at him like he’s a complete idiot.

“I’d like to see it please.”

Brian opens the door, and theatrically waves his arm, motioning for Justin to go up the stairs. To Brian it just looks like a dusty, dirty space with boxes stacked up against the wall, and some old furniture. But Justin lets his imagination run wild. It’s the perfect space for a studio, so he can’t help having fantasies of painting up here with all the natural light. The space is divided into two rooms with a roof balcony that has a single lawn chair in the middle.

Noticing Justin eyeing the balcony, he says. “I sometimes come up here at night to sit and unwind after a stressful day.”

“It looks like to perfect place to unwind. Of course, it could look much better.”

Brian looks at him and frowns. To him it’s just an ugly rooftop with a rickety lawn chair, but it does have a great view.

“You’re the only tenant who has access to the rooftop?”

“Yes.”

Again Justin walks around, circling the space, looking in every corner. He tilts his head, thinking, and scratches his chin.

“Mr. Kinney, if you’re interested, I could redesign this space. You could move your office up here, even your bedroom, or you could put in a guest room. The balcony could also be designed to give you an outdoor patio, with a beautiful garden space. After all, you did make a point of telling me that you’re more than prosperous, and can afford to have anything you want.”

“Hmm… I’ve never considered it. It does have potential, doesn’t it?”

“I can design the space where your office is for your son’s room. That would give you your privacy for entertaining. That I can accomplish right now. The upstairs design project would have to wait until the fall when I return from vacation.”

“I’ll need some time to think about it.”

“Okay, but you need to decide today about your son’s room, if you want it completed by your deadline.”

“I can draw up a few different designs for the upstairs, and you can take the rest of the summer to consider your options. In the meantime, you’ll have to make room for your computer desk and file cabinets in the living room. I suggest that you use the alcove just outside your bedroom. I know it will be crowded, but you don’t really have any other options. Once you move the office upstairs, you’ll have lots of space to work and spread out, without being interrupted.”

“I like it! You’re a fucking genius!”

Brian reaches over and kisses Justin. Justin protests at first but then becomes consumed with desire. Breaking for air, Justin puts his hand on Brian’s chest to put some space between them, kicking himself for letting that happen.

“Why don’t we celebrate?”

“Mr. Kinney, I thought I made it clear that I’m not interested in a personal relationship.”

“Trust me. I’m not looking for a relationship.”

“Yes, well… I’m engaged.”

He’s not sure why he said that. Ethan did ask him to marry him, but he wanted to wait until Ethan returned from his tour to give him an answer.

“Perfect! No strings attached.”

“Mr. Kinney, I don’t know how I can be any clearer. I’m not interested in sleeping with you.”

“Okay, fine. But, tell me? Would dinner and a movie make my chances any better?”

“They might, if I wasn’t already involved with someone. I don’t trick, but I do date.”

“Wow! You’re one of those kind of fags. Just one step away from being straight. I bet you want the husband, and the white picket fence too?”

“Yes. I want a long- term relationship, and eventually children.”

“Maybe you should just step back in the closet, and marry your little fag hag. That is if you even have one.”

Justin’s anger is building, and he wonders why he was starting to like Brian… for about twenty minutes, that is.

“You know, Mr. Kinney, let’s just keep this on a professional level, shall we?”

“You know I like it when you call me Mr. Kinney. It makes me feel like I’m in a position of power. You can call me Master if you prefer.”

“You’re a fucking chauvinistic pig!”

“Damn! You look so adorable when you get angry.”

“I’m not sure this is going to work! Your son just might have to sleep on the sofa during his stay.”

“Oh, come on, Justin!

Justin stares at him with an outraged look on his face.

“Alright! Mr. Taylor. Is that better?

Brian wiggles his eyebrows. “I could call you sir, if you want?”

Justin smirks. “You’re incorrigible. Impossible. A complete imbecile.”

“Behind all your prim and proper façade, you like the bad boy in me. Admit it. You like me. I bet you even want me to fuck you.”

“That’s it! I’m leaving!”

“Oh come on! How about that dinner and a movie?”

“I told you….”

“I know. I know, you’re not that kind of boy.”

Justin just stares at him, he’s not wrong. He is intrigued. He’s definitely attracted to him. Remembering their kiss, he has to admit part of him wants Brian.

“How about this? I take you to dinner and we discuss Gus’s room?”

Lost in his thoughts about Brian touching him, and what it might be like to have sex with him, he’s barely conscious of the fact that Brian asked him a question.

“What? Who’s Gus?”

“My son. Who did you think he was? Some guy I wanted to have a threesome with?”

Justin blushes, as his mind wanders to that thought. The truth is, Ethan is his first boyfriend, and he’s never actually been with anyone else. Now he can’t stop thinking about Brian, and he knows he isn’t ready to commit to Ethan. At least, not yet. How can he, when he can’t stop thinking about Brian, and all the feelings he’s stirred up inside him?

“Yes. I definitely think food is in order.”

“Good boy.”

TBC…