- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Justin has insisted on overseeing all aspects of Brian’s remodel, because he wants to keep it on schedule. He also doesn’t want any unexpected problems arising, knowing Brian’s flair for drama. But as hard as he tries some things just can’t be avoided… At least not where Michael’s concerned…
Title: Rich, Arrogant Prick…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 3110
Warnings: Anti-Michael, Passion and Lust…
Beta Queen: BigJ52

Summary: Justin’s new client is an arrogant prick, but he’s rich and has great taste. So, who’s he to turn down the huge commission for his interior design.

Chapter Summary: Justin has insisted on overseeing all aspects of Brian’s remodel, because he wants to keep it on schedule. He also doesn’t want any unexpected problems arising, knowing Brian’s flair for drama. But as hard as he tries some things just can’t be avoided… At least not where Michael’s concerned…

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

Rich, Arrogant, Prick

Part Five ~ Crash and Burn

Justin and Vince are just finishing boxing up most of Brian’s office space, and they’ve moved all the furniture over to the other side of the room. They’re just starting to roll out the thick plastic to separate the construction space from the rest of the loft. They’ve already decided they’ll use a double layer of high grade plastic to try and keep the dust down to a minimum.

Neither one of them heard or saw Michael when he stuck his head in the loft, or when he went out into the hallway to use his phone. The next thing they know there are two policemen standing there, pointing guns at them.

“Hold it right there! Don’t move!”

“Officers, I think there’s been some sort of mistake.”

Looking over the policemen’s shoulders, Justin sees Michael smirking at them.

“You called the police?”

“Officers, it’s obvious that they’re stealing from Brian!”

“No! We’re not!”

“Bullshit! You’re robbing Brian! You already have some of his stuff boxed up!”

“I can explain!”

“You can explain it down at the station.”

“No! Wait! Is this really necessary?”

“You’ve even brought someone to help you lug all the furniture out with you.”

“This is ridiculous, we’re working here. Can I please call Brian?”

“You can call anyone you want once you’re booked at the station, although I recommend a good lawyer. It’s not like you didn’t get caught in the act.”

Justin kicks himself for not having a copy of the contract Brian signed, to show the cops. He just glares at Michael. “You can put a stop to this right now. You know these charges are totally bogus!”

Justin couldn’t get a hold of Brian. He was in meetings all afternoon, so he ended up having to call an attorney. When his case went to arraignment, and his lawyer showed the judge the contract, he was let go, and all the charges were dropped. But the judge wasn’t happy, and he wants a word with Michael Novotny after hearing Justin’s side of the story. It’s possible that he might be charged with contempt of court, for wasting the court’s time, as well as the police. At the very least he’ll be charged with criminal mischief, and falsely reporting a crime.

Justin’s furious! He can’t believe that Michael did this, he’s such an immature bastard. Now Gus’s bedroom is even further behind than it already was. To make things worse, Vince storms out of the courtroom swearing at Justin, saying that he’ll have to find someone else to complete the job, and he’ll never work with Justin again. Justin wants kill Michael.

~~~

Brian was running late, again, and he forgot to call Justin to let him know. So, when he walks into the loft seeing everything in disarray, and the fact there’s no workmen, he’s so angry with himself. He knew he should have rescheduled his meeting, or have Ted do the presentation.

“Fuck!”

“Damn it, Justin! Couldn’t you have called me? Instead of being such a drama queen and walking off the job?”

Yes. He’s talking to himself, or rather yelling in frustration!

A few minutes later Debbie is pounding on his door. He lets her in, and it looks like she’s been crying.

“What happened this time?”

“I’m not exactly sure. It was hard to understand him on the phone. He’s been arrested, something about filing false charges, and contempt of court.”

“What was he doing in court?”

“I don’t know. It doesn’t make any sense to me.”

“Fuck, Mikey! I don’t need this bullshit on top of my missing designer.”

That’s when it occurs to him that maybe they’re both related.

“God damn it! I’m going to kill him if he interfered with my construction project!”

“What? How could Michael interfere?”

“Really, Deb? He’s always interfering in everything, and you know it!

“I’m sure he didn’t mean to, if he’s even involved.”

“No! Of course not! Not sweet innocent Mikey! For once take your blinders off! I’m done! I’m not bailing him out of any more trouble he gets himself into. He’s a big boy and it’s high time he started cleaning up his own messes.”

“Oh, Brian. Don’t be so dramatic! You know you’ll help him. After all he’s your best friend!”

“I’m so sick of hearing that! Best friends don’t take advantage of one another!”

“Like you said, you don’t even know the two things are related. Now let’s get down to the police station and find out what’s happened.”

“I’ll drive you, Deb, but don’t expect me to get involved in this!”

“Oh Brian! Be reasonable. I know you’ll calm down by the time we get there.”

The car ride is quiet. Brain’s fuming, and Debbie is praying that Michael isn’t involved in the problems with Brian’s remodeling job. She’s never seen him so angry at Michael before, and she doesn’t know what she’ll do if he doesn’t help out.

It’s busy at the police station. Debbie gets in line to speak to the sergeant on duty. Brian’s pacing near the back of the room when he sees Justin storming out towards the front door.

Oh shit, if he’s here, this means Michael did something really stupid.

“Justin.”

“What are you doing here? Come to bail out your fiancé?”

“Who?

“Is he your ex or your future husband?”

Brian shakes his head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

“Poor little Mikey? He told me he didn’t want me near you! Even though I was very clear with him that I’m not interested in you!”

“He did what? Listen, I didn’t know. He means nothing to me. He’s not my ex or future husband. But he is soon to be my ex-friend.”

“Whatever! I’ll send you my final bill, and you better believe that I’m adding that ten-thousand-dollar nuisance charge. Plus! Plus, my lawyer and court costs!”

“Wait! Justin! Please don’t quit the job. I need you. I’ll pay you anything you want. Just don’t stop construction on Gus’s room.”

“Sorry. I have to! I don’t have a contractor anymore! Mikey saw to that! Besides, I’m sick of all the drama. I just want to go to Europe and surprise my fiancé!”

“I understand how angry you are. I’m angry too. I’ll call you later, after you’ve calmed down. Then we can work this out. I really need you, Justin. You know there isn’t time for me to find anyone else.”

“No amount of money will ever make me agree to work with you again.”

“Okay. I’ll call you later.”

“Forget it! You can’t sweet talk me this time, Mr. Kinney!”

Brian hates the way he says it. He makes his name sound like a four letter word.

Debbie comes over and sits next to Brian. “I overheard the last part of your conversation. I guess Michael did have something to do with the loft remodeling job.”

Brian doesn’t say anything, he’s so mad. About a half an hour later, they call Debbie’s name to let her know that Michael’s been brought up from his holding cell.

The officer shows them into an interrogation room. “Sorry. It’s a busy night around here, and the only room we have available is this one.”

He unlocks the door to the interrogation room, and they both walk in. They can see into the next room, the one where Michael’s sitting at a table.

“No! You stay out here. I want to talk to him alone. Then you can see him.”

“But Brian, he needs me.”

“My way, or you do this all on your own.”

Meekly she agrees, and takes a seat near the double-sided window. She wishes that Michael could see her, but she knows from watching so many police shows on TV that he can’t. Brian goes in and Michael’s face lights up just seeing him. He goes to hug Brian, but Brian puts his hand out, stopping him from coming any closer. Debbie’s irritated that Brian isn’t greeting him with a reassuring smile, comforting him and letting him know that everything is going to be alright. She gets up closer to the window, and that’s when she sees the button for the intercom. She turns it on so she can hear them talking.

‘So. What’s going on, Mikey? Why are you being held in jail?”

“It’s all that little shit’s fault!”

“Which little shit are you talking about?”

“That conniving interior designer you hired. I caught him stealing from you this afternoon.”

“Oh? How’s that?”

“I stopped by the loft, and he was…”

“Stop! Why did you go by the loft?”

“My computer’s still acting up, and I needed to use yours.”

“But you don’t have the password.”

“I thought I could figure it out. I didn’t want to disturb you while you were at work.”

“But you had no problem disturbing Justin while he was working.”

“How would I even know he would be there?”

“Because you overheard me telling Cynthia that I’d be out of the office this afternoon, while you were once again begging me to pay your store rent.”

“I didn’t. I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Bullshit! You constantly eavesdrop on any conversation you can! Especially mine! Back to the matter at hand. Why are you in jail?”

“I told you that blond bimbo was stealing from you, so I called the police. Then in court he twisted it all around, making me out to be the bad guy.”

“What makes you think he was stealing from me?”

“He had all the furniture pushed to one the side of the loft. He was boxing up everything else when I came in. He even had a huge guy with him to help load everything into the elevator.”

“Don’t you think it might be necessary to move everything out of the way, if you’re going to start building walls to construct Gus’s bedroom?”

“I guess so.”

“Since we both know you overheard me this morning, you knew that’s what was going to happen, right?”

“I guess…”

“So. Tell me the real reason you had Justin arrested?”

Michael just looks down at his hands, unable to come up with an excuse.

“You didn’t really think I was going to buy your asinine story, did you?”

“I guess not.”

“So. Tell me why?”

“I don’t like him.”

“You don’t have to like him. You don’t even have to interact with him. Yet, you do. Just to piss him off.”

“He’s manipulating you.”

“How’s that?”

“He was throwing himself at you. Hanging all over you at Babylon the other night.”

“No. That would have been me.”

“Same difference!”

“This is really about your jealousy?”

“What? No!”

“Then why does he think you’re my fiancé?”

“I may have told him that, just to make him stay away from you. I may have exaggerated a little.”

“You’re not my boyfriend, Michael! And you sure as hell aren’t my fiancé!”

“I could be…”

“No! You couldn’t! I’m not attracted to you! The thought of having sex with you repulses me! Everything about you repulses me right now.”

Tears are running down Michael’s face.

“You don’t mean that. I know you love me. I know some day you’re going to want to settle down.”

“You’re right. I might be ready to settle down. But it will never be with you! It would be with someone like Justin! You see, I am attracted to him. I like his sense of moral character, of right and wrong. I like the way he stands up for himself. I like that he knows who he is, and what he wants. But, most of all I like that he calls me on all my bullshit and doesn’t give an inch.”

More tears. “I can be that! I can be anything you want me to be!”

“Listen, Michael. Are you listening? What I want is for you to grow up, and stand on your own two feet. Stop looking for me or anyone else to bail you out, and fix all your problems. Get a job that you can support yourself with, and stop putting me and your mother in debt because of all your fuck ups. Basically, be a man and stop whining when you don’t get your own way. You’re never going to attract another man if you act like a spoiled child all the time. It’s really unattractive, and a complete turn off the way you cross your arms over your chest and pout!”

Now Michael is crying, his body is shaking, and his voice is cracking.

“Brian. Why are you talking to me like this? I’m your best friend. You’re supposed to be there for me when I need you.”

“It works both ways, Michael! When was the last time you were there for me? Helped me? And don’t even think about throwing my childhood back in my face. That debt has been long paid for! Now I’m going to leave. I’ve had enough!”

“Brian. Please! Don’t go! I’m going to need a lawyer. Did you pay my back rent? Are you going to pay my bail? What am I going to do?”

“The court will provide you with a lawyer, not me! I’m not going to pay for your bail, and hell no, I didn’t pay your back rent! I don’t give a fuck what you do! Just don’t call me for help!”

“Brian…”

“Oh! I almost forgot. Don’t expect Deb to pay your bail, or your rent or anything else.”

“She’s my mom. She has to help me.”

“Be a fucking man for once! Besides, you know she doesn’t have the money.”

“She can get a second mortgage on her house.”

“No! She can’t! I paid off her house a year ago, and put a clause in it with the bank. If she tries to remortgage her house, the money I paid towards the house is added back onto the loan.”

“You paid off her house? Then where have all her house payments been going?”

“I set up a retirement account for her. She can’t withdraw any of the funds until she’s sixty-five years old.”

“What if she needs a new furnace, or a roof? What’s she supposed to do then?”

“I’ll pay for all the required maintenance for her house, and the taxes every year. I’m looking out for her welfare, the way you should be doing. But the Bank of Brian is closed to you! I suggest you get a real job. Salvage what you can of that money pit of a comic book store. Sell all your childish toys, and put some money in the bank for a rainy day. Because I see a storm front closing in on you, and there’s no way to avoid getting wet!”

With that Brian turns to leave. Michael cries out for him to stop, not to leave him. Brian closes the door behind him, then he looks at Debbie sitting on the bench. They can hear Michael crying through the intercom.

“Brian. I don’t know what to say. I want to be angry with you, to scream at you! But I also want to hug you, and thank you. No one’s ever done anything for me like that before. I know Michael’s a fuck up. I’ve ignored it for so long, because you always took care of him. I guess I thought it would go on forever. I know what you said to Michael is true. I know it’s time he started being responsible for his own actions, and supporting himself. But we can’t just leave him in jail. He’s not strong enough to spend one night in jail.”

“He’ll get a lawyer appointed for him from Legal Aid. They can probably convince the judge to release him on his own recognizance. But he’ll have to show up for court to face the charges. If he doesn’t, I’ll have Ted give you the money to pay for his bail. Then I’ll have his toys appraised, and sold, and don’t think I won’t sell them! I will, and he won’t get them back.”

“Oh Brian. It will kill him, if you sell his collectibles.”

“He has to sell them, Deb, he needs the money. He’s behind on his apartment, as well as his shop rent. He has to close the store. He hasn’t made a profit since he opened it. I’ve been paying all his bills, and I should have put a stop to it after the first six months. He probably could have made it work, but he refused to stop buying those stupid childish toys. I never should have helped him sell that comic book online in the first place. If I hadn’t he’d still be working at the Big Q, be employed and even have a retirement account.”

“He really is a big kid, isn’t he?”

“No! He’s not! He’s a thirty-five-year-old bum, who’s been sucking everyone dry for years! Especially me!”

“Now I’m leaving. I’ll have Ted expect your call. But, so help me, Deb, if he doesn’t do as I suggested, I’m going to call his bluff. I’m going to insist he pay me back all the money I’ve loaned him over the years. Yes. I mean loaned him! I made him sign promissory notes for every single dollar. But I’m sure he never expected that I’d make him pay it back.”

“Oh Brian. You really have been a good friend.”

“I was! But, not anymore! I meant what I said. I can’t be involved in his life any more. The Brian and Mikey show is over!”

Crying, she whispers, “I am so sorry, Brian.”

“I know you are, and I still love you, Deb. I’ll be there for you, if you need me. Now I have to go, and beg Justin to finish Gus’s room. You know Melanie won’t let him come and stay with me, if he doesn’t have his own room. She says he’s too old to sleep on the sofa, and she’s made it clear he can’t sleep in the same bed as all those men I’ve bedded over the years.”

“I understand. You take care, Brian. I’ll call Ted if Michael needs the bail money. Oh, and Brian, I’m so happy that you’ve found someone you want to settle down with.”

Brian smiles. “Yeah. Now all I have to do is get him to dump his boyfriend, and fall in love with me. But first I have to get him to take me back as a client.”

“I know you’ll do it. You can be very persuasive.”

With that they hug each other tight, knowing it might be awhile before they see each other again.

TBC…

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to everyone that took the time to read my fic. I hope you enjoyed it. ~ Kathleen