- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Another clue or two? Enjoy! TAG

///~///~///~


Chapter 8 - We Have To Tread Lightly.



Most of Sunday passed without either of the girls coming up with any better ideas about how they were going to find their missing mother. They debated which of their other friends or relatives might be coerced into spilling the beans about their dads’ breakup. Nobody seemed likely to help them, though.


Quinne argued that Emmett should have been the easiest of her ‘uncles’ to crack - Em was notorious for being the biggest gossip in the gayborhood - and if he hadn’t been willing to talk, it wasn’t likely anyone else would either. She thought there was a slight possibility she could get her Grandma Deb to help them, but there was also the possibility that Deb would rat them out to Brian, thinking it was her duty to tell him what was going on. The only person Quinne thought she could trust one hundred percent was her brother, Gus, but since he was only a child at the time all this stuff had happened, it was doubtful he’d know very much.


On Qianna’s side, there really wasn’t anyone she could ask. She only had her dad and her Grandmother and that was it. It was a given that anything she said to her Grandmother would be immediately relayed to her father, so that was out too. She wasn’t going to be any help.


Which left the girls without many other research options.


Quinne gave up the effort soon after lunch and decided to accept an offer to join a group of students starting a soccer game out on the quad. Qianna, who wasn’t athletically inclined, demurred and opted instead to go sightseeing in town with a group of girls. They’d been practically joined at the hip ever since they met, so it actually felt a little strange for the two newly-minted sisters to go off in different directions for a change. It was sometimes hard to remember that they still had separate lives and separate interests, but was undoubtedly healthier for them to spend at least some time apart.


Qianna was sitting at a cafe in downtown Colorado Springs, enjoying an Iced Coffee while she sketched street scenes, when she got a text from Quinne. She quickly responded, telling her sister where to meet her, and then went back to her drawing until Quinne showed up. She wasn’t expecting Quinne to arrive still dressed in her sweaty, muddy soccer shorts, with at least three of her teammates in tow. The rowdy group invaded the quiet of the sleepy little cafe, causing a ruckus and virtually taking over Qianna’s table.


“You should have been there, QiQi!” Quinne announced loudly as she plopped into the seat next to her sister. “We totally kicked ass today. And I had the BEST head-shot goal of my career. My Pops would have been so proud - I can’t wait to tell him.”


“Q has some mad skillz,” announced the boy that took over the chair next to Quinne - he was someone Qianna had seen around at camp but never really spent any time with and whose name she couldn’t recall at the moment. “I love that move you did when Tyler checked you. You just rolled into the fall and then popped up on the backside of the roll, right onto your feet again. You took Ty totally by surprise. He was still standing there blinking when you were halfway down the field with the ball. You are definitely legit, Q”


“Was there ever any doubt?” Quinne crowed with a boastful smile. “I’ve only been playing soccer since I was, like, three. My Pops has coached our team for years - he played in college, so he knows what he’s doing. But you’re not so bad yourself, Chase.”


“Thanks, Q. But I haven’t been playing as long as you. I do plan to try out for the junior varsity team next year in high school, though, and I guess I’m not too shabby,” the boy, Chase, bragged with a wink in Quinne’s direction.


“It sounds like you had fun,” Qianna offered, feeling a little left out of the camaraderie.


She might have said more, but Qianna was interrupted by the advent of a gaggle of other soccer players, laden with drinks and food, appropriating two nearby tables and moving them over so the whole big group could mass together. The next hour or so was spent reliving the soccer game, talking about other soccer matches the players had once experienced, and discussing the merits of various professional soccer clubs. Since Qianna barely knew the difference between a soccer ball and a basketball, she ended up being mostly excluded from the conversation. Quinne, on the other hand was the center of the whole milling hive of kids, acting like a queen bee who was happy to accept the attentions of her minions.


When Qianna had finally had enough, she pushed back her chair and started to gather together her belongings. Quinne looked up, startled, and almost as if she’d forgotten her sister was even there for a moment. She frowned when she saw the mirroring frown on Qianna’s face.


“You’re leaving already, Sis?” Quinne asked.


“Yeah. I thought I’d get started on the reading for tomorrow’s lab,” Qianna answered with what she hoped sounded like a plausible excuse for cutting out early.


Quinne looked like she was about to argue the point but the comment became moot when Chase also stood up and grabbed his bag.


“That sounds like a good plan. I’ll walk back with you, QiQi,” Chase announced as he followed Qianna.


“Hold up, guys,” Quinne hollered as she hastily grabbed her own stuff. “I’m coming too.”


Qianna and Chase paused briefly to let Quinne catch up with them before the trio continued on their way back towards the campus and their dorm building. They all three chatted amiably as they walked. Chase told them about how he wanted to get a medical degree, but instead of being a practicing doctor he wanted to go into medical research - which was why he was so interested in the biology unit they were doing. When he found out that Qianna was from San Jose, he practically swooned, saying that Stanford was his first choice school for college. The two of them nattered on, talking about the area, Stanford, and California in general, with Chase suggesting that maybe he could come visit sometime so Qianna could show him the campus. It seemed like it was Quinne’s turn to feel a little left out.


Luckily, when they got back to the dorm, Stella was waiting for them with her computer and immediately pulled the girls aside. Chase offered up a fleeting goodbye as they forgot about him almost before he’d uttered the words. While the three girlfriends bustled off, the tall, handsome young man turned around and slowly made his way off alone, looking back over his shoulder at the group once before he started up the stairs.


“You guys HAVE to do this right away,” Stella insisted as she pulled a sister down to sit, one on each side of her. “This is the only other way I can think of that you might find your mother.”


She quickly opened up her laptop and pointed to the page she already had loaded. The computer screen displayed the home page for one of those DNA kit companies. This one advertised that one of it’s specialities was that it allowed you the option to contact living relatives.


“See! They’ll hook you up with anyone you find that’s a match,” Stella was explaining. “I know it’s a stretch, but if your mother has done a similar test, you could maybe reach her this way. And, even if SHE hasn’t done the test, maybe you’ll at least find a relative of hers that will know how to reach her. I’ve done the research into all the different DNA services and this one seems to have the biggest reach, so it’s probably your best shot. But it takes a minimum of six weeks so, if you want the results back before camp is over, you need to order your kits TODAY!”


Both girls leaned in to check out the information offered by the company. They pointed to where they wanted Stella to click as they read through page after page. It did seem that Stella had found an avenue of research that they hadn’t pursued yet. Granted, there was no guarantee that either their mother or a close relative on her side of the family would be found, but it was at least better than doing nothing. So Quinne quickly pulled out her ‘emergency’ credit card - the one her Pops gave her and then warned her never to use unless she was in the hospital or came across a Prada sale - and immediately paid for two tests with expedited shipping.


“This is a great idea, Stella! Thank you for finding this for us,” Qianna offered, with a hug for her friend. “And even if we don’t find our mother, it might come in handy to have written DNA test results on hand. We don’t really need any more proof that we’re related - not after the test we ran ourselves the other day in the lab - but it can’t hurt to have more proof to show our dads when we do finally confront them about all this.”


“So why HAVEN’T you just confronted them already?” Stella asked, genuinely confused on that point.


“We talked about that,” Quinne confessed, “but I guess we’re both just too scared to go there yet.”


“Scared? Why? It sounds to me like both your dads are pretty okay.”


“Yeah, but what if we’re wrong? What if our dads aren’t the good guys we’ve always thought they were and, instead, they intentionally kept us separate all these years?” Qianna pointed out. “I kinda don’t really want to find out that the father I’ve looked up to all these years could really be that cruel.”


“And worse - what if, once they find out we’ve accidentally found each other, they still insist on keeping us apart? I refuse to let that happen. Now that I’ve found you, Sis, I’ll fight to keep you,” Quinne vowed, reaching out to grab Qianna’s hand and squeeze it tightly.


“Agreed!” Qianna echoed. “But there’s no reason to fight that fight until we get a little more information. Which is why this DNA thing you found is so helpful, Stella.” Then she turned to face her sister. “So, what’s next? What else can we do?”


“I don’t know,” Quinne conceded. “We have to tread lightly . . .”


They continued to discuss their dwindling options all through dinner without coming up with any great ideas. But the matter was decided for them when Quinne got a FaceTime call on her tablet the minute they made it back to their room. The caller ID said it was her brother, Gus, someone they’d already debated about letting into their secret. Quinne shrugged when she saw Gus’ name come up on the screen, thinking that maybe fate had decided the matter for them, as she flopped down on her bed and tapped at the screen to accept the call.


“Hey, Sparky! How’s college life?” Gus’ smiling mug asked her. “And here I thought the older child would get to go to university first.”


“Dream on, Gus Gus! You know I always hated waiting around for anything.”


“Don’t I know it. I’m still pissed that you always get to do everything six years earlier than I did,” he complained, although there wasn’t any real anger behind the words. “So, how’s camp. You finally learn something useful?”


“Nothing that will help me get rid of you yet, I’m afraid,” she teased. “But we start on a Chemistry unit the week after next and I’m hoping to maybe learn how to build a stink bomb that I can set off in your bedroom.”


“Pops would LOVE that,” he chuckled. “Looks like it’s a good thing I’ll be moving out and living in the dorms this year after all.”


“Hey, how was your graduation last week?” Quinne asked. “I’m so bummed that I missed it. I bet you looked extra pretty in your big blue dress and all.”


“Fuck you, Sis!” the boy cursed her good-naturedly. “But, since you asked, I looked totally hot in my ROBE. And for my Graduation present, Mom and Pops got me that new computer I wanted with all the graphics programs. It’s totally lit. I’m going to so kick ass at PIFA.”


That seemed to be the opening that Quinne had been waiting for. With a sideways look over to Qianna’s bed - her sister shrugging back at her to let Quinne know it was her choice - the bold young woman decided to test the waters a little bit.


“Speaking of graphics - you’ll never guess who my roommate this summer is. I’ll give you a hint; her father is someone you’d kill to meet . . .”


“I didn’t know that Andy Warhol had a daughter. I thought he was gay and claimed to have died a virgin?” Gus posited with a naughty little chuckle.


“You’re not even close,” Quinne laughed at her brother outright. “Think movies. Think Oscar winner. Think about the guy you said inspired you to go into graphic arts as a career . . .”


“No way! You’re serious? Your roommate is related to Justin Taylor? Wow, small fucking world!” Gus sounded floored by this revelation. “But I thought he was gay too?”


“Duh! But so is our dad and he still managed to have two kids.” Quinne shook her head at the computer screen. “What century are you living in anyway?”


“True. Sorry. I just didn’t realize Justin had any family. It’s not in any of the stuff I’ve read about him.”


“That’s because he’s always tried to keep me out of the spotlight,” Qianna quipped from her side of the room.


“Say ‘hi’ to QiQi, my roommate,” Quinne demanded, quickly twisting the tablet around so Gus could see the girl sitting on the far bed.


Because the lighting in the tiny dorm room wasn’t the best, and also because of the way Qianna was slouched over on the bed with her huge sketchpad blocking most of her face, Gus only got a very vague image of the girl. Still, he waved hello to the screen on his end and offered up a big smile.


“Wow! It’s totally dope meeting you,” he gushed. “I’m a huge fan of your father’s. I’ve been following his work since I was practically a baby. You wouldn’t, by any chance, be able to get me an autograph or something, would you?”


“No problem. I’m sure he’ll be happy to hear he’s inspiring the next generation of artists.” Qianna offered, trying to sound erudite and worldly.


“You know, I actually knew your dad when I was little,” Gus volunteered. “He grew up in Pittsburgh and he and Pops used to know each other. I was really little at the time, so I don’t remember much, but I have little flashes of times hanging out with him and Justin coloring with me. I have this one really distinct memory of him teaching me how to draw a cat using basic shapes. He told me that a cat is just a bunch of circles and triangles. I’ve never forgotten that. He’s, like, the major reason I want to be an artist.”


“Really? You remember my dad?” Qianna was fascinated by that fact. “He taught me how to draw the same way. He always said that everything can be reduced to just a few basic shapes. That an artist is someone who sees the shapes underneath the camoflauge.”


Quinne turned the tablet back around so it was facing her directly. “How come you never told me about knowing Justin Taylor?”


“I don’t know. I guess it just never came up,” Gus shrugged off the question. “He moved away from Pittsburgh before you were even born. By the time you were old enough to care, I suppose it just wasn’t news anymore. Besides, you know how hush-hush Pops has always been about his private life - I always assumed that Justin was the one who got away and that’s why he doesn’t want to talk about it, you know?”


“So Justin Taylor really is the ‘Guy Who Got Away’? The one Pops is always alluding to but won’t talk about?” Quinne attempted to clarify. “Do you know what really happened between them?”


“Nah. I don’t think anyone really does. I’ve heard the Moms talking about it before and they didn’t sound like they knew what happened either. One day Justin was just gone. I remember one time, back when we were living in Toronto and I was maybe five or six, I was supposed to go to Pittsburgh and stay with Pops for Spring Break but it got cancelled at the last minute and then I never saw Justin again. I was pretty upset about it at the time. But I never really heard a good explanation of why he left. Of course, I was just a kid so nobody ever really told me much back then.”


“I wish there was some way we could find out what happened . . .” Quinne mused, more to herself than her brother.


“Good luck with that. Have you met our Pops? He’s not really much for talking . . .”


“True dat,” Quinne agreed, before backing off the subject since it appeared Gus would be no help to them. “So, what are the rest of your summer plans, Bro?”


The two siblings talked for a while longer, sharing updates on their lives and making plans for later in the summer after Quinne finally got home. It sounded like Gus was going to be busy with his summer job as a day camp counselor for the local Parks & Rec agency as well as planning some weekend trips with his friends. When they’d finally hung up, Quinne turned to her new-found sister looking a little let down.


“Sorry we didn’t get more from Gus. I was afraid that he was too young at the time to remember much. I don’t know who else we can ask, though,” Quinne bemoaned the effort.


“Well, we did learn at least one more important piece of info,” Qianna noted. “He said that whatever happened between our dads, it went down right before Gus was supposed to come home for Spring Break. That meshes perfectly with our timeline. See?” She held out the notebook where they’d been writing stuff down. “And, it lends some credence to the theory that they didn’t know about the surrogate having twins. Our mother couldn’t have been more than a couple months along at the time they broke up.”


“I hope so. But the bigger question is what happened between March and when I showed up almost a full year later? They could have still found about about the twin thing when we were born and that might have been why they separated us. Right?” Quinne asked, looking at the timeline with a worried frown. “I say we still need to be cautious with our dads.”


“I don’t disagree,” Qianna replied. “But at least it’s a good sign.”


“Maybe,” the more skeptical Quinne responded.


///~///~///~

 

Chapter End Notes:

10/7/18 - Drawing a Cat with Basic Shapes - can't you just see Justin and Gus doing this together? I just love doling out the clues for you guys one at a time like this. So far, only one person has even come close to guessing what really happened. You guys are so smart though, I’m sure you’ll figure it out before too much longer. Happy puzzling! TAG