- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Brian and Justin grow closer as they become more comfortable in their roles as husbands…

Title: My Rich, Arrogant Boyfriend…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 5295
Warnings: Anti-Michael, Passion and Lust…
Beta Queen: Bigj52
Banner: Original banner by Weird Wacky World, updated banner by me.
Series: Rich, Arrogant… This is Part 2 of a 3 Part series.

Summary: Brian and Justin’s relationship has taken many twists and turns along the way, but they both want to find a way to move forward together. Will they be able to work things out, and accept each other’s needs, or will they go their separate ways?

Chapter Summary: Brian and Justin grow closer as they become more comfortable in their roles as husbands…

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…


My Rich Arrogant, Boyfriend

Chapter 12 ~ You’re a Good Man, Brian Kinney.

Brian’s POV
Makeup sex is always the best. Even though it was only one night we slept apart, it felt like a million years. My body’s desire for him was in overdrive. I took him every way possible. It’s a good thing that he’s still young and flexible, being able to mold his body to mine, meeting my every move as I thrust into him.

But now I’m restless. I can’t sleep as I think back to last night. We had a total, knockdown, drag out fight. My emotions were all over the place, and that’s something I’m not used to. He makes me feel things so deep down in my soul it scares me. Even though we kissed and made up tonight, that doesn’t stop me from worrying about Michael and Lindsay causing problems for us. They’ve changed so much recently, or maybe it’s me. But it’s hard to believe that they were once my best friends, and whatever connection we once had I no longer feel. I’m lost in my thoughts when I feel his arms circle my waist, holding me from behind. He kisses me across my back, then around my neck, finally resting his head on my shoulder. I stub out my cigarette, and turn in his arms until we’re facing each other. He steps up on his tippy toes and kisses me once more, letting me know everything’s going to be alright.

“Come back to bed, you need some rest. I know you have that big presentation tomorrow.”

“I’m not worried about the presentation. I’m worried about you.”

“You don’t need to worry about me, I’m fine. I love you, Brian, and I know I overreacted yesterday. It was more of a response to the way Ethan used to treat me, he always tried to control me.”

“I just don’t want them to be able to hurt you.”

“I know, and I love how you want to protect me. I even think your caveman act is kind of cute in an over protective kind of way.”

“Cute! I don’t do cute!”

“Come on, Mr. Macho man, let’s go back to bed. You can’t work yourself up about something that hasn’t even happened yet.”

Once we’re back in bed, I push him down and crawl up his body until I’m straddling him. I lean down and kiss him, pressing our dicks together. I slowly start rocking as we both harden. Leaking pre-cum we start to slide against one another. In one swift move Brian flips me on my back so he’s the one in control. He’s in full dominant mode now, as my need for him consumes me. The fuck is hard and fast, rushing us to the finish line. It’s what we both needed, to feel that connection and to let go of any unresolved anger. Afterwards he kisses me passionately, telling me how crazy in love with me he is, then rolls off me and is sound asleep within minutes.

The next morning at the diner…

“Good Morning, Mother Taylor.”

“Sorry I’m late, it took longer than I thought to pull the new multi-listings.”

“Daddy! I had a bubbly bath at Grandma Jen’s, and she gave me a motorboat and a frog to play with in the water!”

“Wow! It sounds like you had a great sleepover.”

“Oh I did, and next time we’re going to bake cookies!”

“Next time, ha?”

“Yep! Daddy, can I have buberry pamcakes?”

Brian bites his tongue, hating that he sometime comes across as an ogre when he corrects Gus’s speech.

“Yes, Gus, you can have blueberry pancakes.”

Justin is always much gentler, helping Gus understand the English language. It’s become obvious that Mel and Lindsay never corrected Gus’s mispronounced words.

Justin asks him, “Do you know why they’re called blueberry pancakes?”

Gus shakes his head no.

“Because the fruit, blueberries are in the batter, and they’re fried in a pan on the stove.”

“And because the fruit is blue?”

“That’s right.”

“I love the color blue, and I love how it tastes. But Justy, why aren’t strawberries called redberries?”

“Well… Hmm… That’s because raspberries and cranberries are also red.”

“Yeah, okay.”

Emmett rushes in and slides into the booth next to Jennifer, just as Debbie comes to take their order.

“Sorry I’m late, but my big strong Ironman surprised me last night and came home a few days early.”

“Ironman? Is he a superhero?”

“Well, he’s my superhero. But he isn’t in the movies or comic books.”

“Does he have a cape?”

“Only when he’s feeling playful.”

At that Jennifer turns her head towards the window, as Brian’s penis box flashes through her mind.

“Mom? Is everything okay?”

Blushing, she nods yes. “I’m fine.”

Brian can help sarcastically saying, “A little too early for sex talk this morning.”

“Debbie, I’ll just have tea.”

Debbie’s smirking, knowing why Jen’s embarrassed.

“You need something more substantial than that. I’ll bring you the blue plate special, two eggs over easy, with a side of bacon, and toast.”

Jen knows better than to argue with her.

Justin decides he’ll have the special too.

Knowing Justin’s appetite, Brian’s surprised. “What, no pancakes for you?”

“I’m pretty sure I’ll be finishing Gus’s pancakes, so no.”

“Em, I know you’ll have pancakes and a double side of bacon. I assume your majesty will just want toast and coffee?”

As they enjoy breakfast, Jennifer shows Brian and Justin several housing listings. She hopes they’re what Brian and Justin have in mind. Brian finds something wrong with most them, rejecting all of them.

“Okay. I’ll try again, and see if I can find something that’s more to your liking.”

After breakfast they all leave to go their separate ways. Emmett’s watching Gus again this morning. Brian, of course, takes his time kissing Justin before he starts down the street to Kinnetik.

“Yoo hoo, Justin.”

Justin cringes, already knowing who’s calling his name before he turns around. Brian, on the other hand looks over Justin’s shoulder, seeing the gaudily dressed designer.

“It’s Kitsch, your boyfriend, Sunshine.”

“Christ! I wouldn’t have thought he would have frequented Liberty Avenue.”

“Oh, hi Justin. Brian. I’m so glad I caught up with you. I have a wedding present for you in my car. I was going to drop it off at your mother’s house, but I saw you two across the street.”

“Oh, no Kit. It’s not necessary that you give us a gift.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, of course it is.

“No, really. We can’t accept it.”

“Nonsense. I was in New York, and stumbled upon this little antique store in Manhattan. Once I saw it, I knew it was perfect for the two of you.”

“I don’t know what to say.”

“Just say thank you. Now my car’s just across the street.”

Justin cringes as Brian says, “Okey dokey.”

Kitsch goes and gets their present. With his back turned to Kitsch, Justin glares at Brian, sticking his tongue out at him.

“Here you go now. I hope you like it.”

“Ahhh, thanks Kit. This is so unexpected.”

“No problem. Now tootles, I have to run. I’m meeting a client.”

Brian sarcastically says, ‘Yes, tootles’ as he gives Kitsch a little wave.

“Oh my God, Brian. I can just imagine what this might be.”

As they turn back around they see Jennifer staring at both of them. “Wedding presents? Isn’t it a little early for that? You haven’t even announced your engagement, and how did he know about that anyway? I think you owe me an explanation.”

“Mom! I thought you already left!”

“Justin Coleman Taylor!”

“I’m sorry. I should have told you.”

“Told me what?”

“Well… You see…”

“What Justin’s struggling to say is…”

“Brian. No!”

“What? What haven’t you told me?

“Justin and I got married in Vermont while on vacation.”

“And I’m just hearing about this now?”

“Mom. It’s not like that. We decided to wait, we didn’t want to tell anyone right away.”

“Oh, right! That’s why Debbie, Daphne and Emmett probably already know!”

“They found out by mistake. I promise you were the first one I planned on telling.”

“When? On your first anniversary?”

“Mom. Please don’t be mad.”

“I’m not mad. Not really. I’m just disappointed that you felt you couldn’t tell me.”

“Mother Taylor, Please don’t blame him. It was all my idea to keep it a secret.”

“Yes, and it was Brian’s fault that he can’t seem to keep a secret.”

“Well! We’re going to have a big celebration! Don’t even think about saying no! You’ve already broken my heart by deceiving me and lying to me.”

“Mom! Mom, it wasn’t like that. I didn’t lie to you or deceive you. We were just waiting for the right time.”

“I have to go now. I’m calling Emmett, and we’re going to plan a huge wedding reception for you two. Don’t even argue with me! You’ve already hurt me enough this morning!”

“Wow! Now I know where your Drama Princess dynamic comes from.”

“Shut up!”

Justin’s stunned as she walks off down the street. He’s aggravated with Kitsch, and his mother finding out about their marriage. So he snaps at Brian.

“Just throw that in the dumpster! I don’t want anything to do with it!”

“Now, now, dear. It’s our first wedding present. It would be disrespectful not to keep it. As a matter of fact, I think we should display it prominently for the next six months. That will teach you not to lie to your mother.”

“I didn’t lie to her! I just didn’t correct her when she assumed we were only engaged.”

“It was a lie by omission.”

“I hate you sometimes! Besides, it was your idea!”

After putting the wedding gift in the jeep, Brian leans down and kisses Justin on the cheek.

“Later, Sunshine. I have to get to work.”

Justin knew he fucked up and needed to do something to make things right. He just didn’t know what.

He decided to hit the grocery store, needing to fill up the fridge and cupboards with kid foods, Brian foods, and of course all his favorites.

~~~

Brian greets Ted as he enters his office. “Good Morning, Theodore.”

Ted sets a latté from Starbucks down on Brian’s desk. “Brian. I’ve been thinking about the Kinnetik daycare center you want to start.”

“Okay. I trust that you’ve ruled out the supplies closet.”

“Ha, ha… Anyways… It’s obvious that we don’t have the space in this building, and we’ll need another location.”

“Ted. The whole point was to have the children close to their parents while they’re working.”

“I know. But like I said we don’t have enough space. The response to my questionnaire was greater than I anticipated. After adding up all the employees with children who are interested in day care, we’re up to twelve, and several are pregnant and expecting within the next six months.”

“Wow! I didn’t realize we had so many parents working here.”

“You’re not the only one who has or will have multiple children.”

Brian takes a sip of his latté and notices the goofy grin on Ted’s face.

“Ted. Is there something you want to tell me?”

“Is it that obvious?”

“Yes. You’re beaming, and you look like you’re going to pee your pants.”

“Blake and I just found out last night that our adoption has been approved. There’s a teenage mother expecting twins in February. I can hardly believe it. I’m going to be someone’s dad.”

“Congratulations, Teddy! I’m so happy for you and Blake.”

“Thanks, Bri.”

“So I gather now that this affects you personally, you’ve found a solution to the problem?”

Well… On the way to work this morning, I noticed that there’s a for sale sign in the window of Michael’s old comic book store.”

“Oh?”

“I called Jennifer to inquire about it, and the owner’s wife wants a fast sale. Her husband had a heart attack and they want to move to Florida to be near their family. They need the money to buy into one of those retirement centers.”

“Hmm… That is close, only a block down the street.”

“I know it’s kind of perfect. It’s just over two thousand square feet. Michael never took advantage of all the space he had. He only used the rooms in the back to store old display cases and comic books. It also has an upstairs that looks down on the front of the store, with bathrooms on both floors.”

“It sounds like it has real potential. How long would it take to get it up and running?”

“As I remember the space is in pretty good shape. We’ll have to add a kitchen in one of the rooms. Other than that it needs to be painted. It also includes a large parking lot out back. But since all the employees have parking here at Kinnetik, that space could be made into an outdoor play area. You could wall it off, so it would be private, and the children couldn’t run out onto the sidewalk, or onto the roadway. Should I call Jennifer and set up and appointment to see the space?”

“Yes. It sounds like a perfect idea.”

“I’m sure your designer husband could help us design the perfect space.

“I’m sure he can. I’ll call him. I need to make nice after ruining his morning.”

~~~

When Justin returns to the loft he sees Daphne sitting in her car, waiting for him.

“Justin. I wanted to apologize for yesterday. I’m sorry if I came off a little harsh. I know it was my idea to visit Lindsay, and I’m sorry it caused problems between you and Brian.”

“It’s alright. Brian and I kissed and made up. Now, since you’re here you can help me bring all these groceries up to the loft.”

Daphne helps Justin put the groceries away, while they wait for Emmett and Gus to return from the park.

“Do you mind if I check my email? I’m waiting to find out if I was accepted into the Emergency Medicine Residency Program at Pittsburgh Medical Center.”

“I thought you were accepted to Harvard.”

“I was… But… I want to stay here in Pittsburgh.”

“Why the hell would you want to stay here, when you could be at Harvard?”

“I want to be close to everyone. I want be Auntie Daph to your kids, and I’ve grown close to Emmett. If I go to Boston, I’ll be gone for years. I’ll miss out on so much.”

“But how are you going to find a rich doctor, if you don’t go to an Ivy League school?

She sticks her tongue out at Justin.

“If you stay here you’ll only go dancing at gay bars and hang out with fags.”

She hears what he’s saying and he’s right, she needs some straight friends.

“You know I could meet some gorgeous doctor here at Allegheny General and live happily ever after.”

“Maybe.”

She’s stopped paying attention to Justin as she starts to check her email. Brian forgot to shut down the computer before leaving, and the computer screen is open on his personal and business financial statements from Ted.

“Jesus Christ, Justin! Your husband is a multimillionaire!”

“I know he’s done very well in business. But I don’t think he’s a millionaire.”

“Oh, yes he is! Come look at this financial statement.”

“Holy Fuck! Is this for real? How did you hack into Brian’s financial records?”

“I didn’t. He left the file open on the computer screen.”

“Well, stop looking at it and close it up!”

“Do you think you and Brian might want to adopt me? I mean, what’s one more kid?”

“Very funny!”

She goes back to checking her email. “There’s still no email concerning my residency.”

“You know, you could just call them.”

“No, I don’t want to seem anxious.”

Looking up she sees the wedding present on the dining room table.

“Is this your first wedding present?”

“Yes.”

“Why haven’t you opened it yet?”

“I’m considering throwing it in the garbage.”

“Why?”

“It’s from Kitsch Chachki.”

“Oh my God! Wait, how did he know you and Brian were married?”

“It’s a long story.”

“Can I open it?”

“You can have it for all I care.”

“Really?”

“Oh wait, I guess not. Brian threatened to make me display it for the next six months as a punishment for neglecting to tell my mom we’re married.”

“Well he’s right. You should have told her by now, and what about the new baby? Have you told her about that yet?”

“I haven’t had time. I guess I need to go see her this afternoon.”

Daphne opens the heavy box, and she’s stunned by what she sees.

“Oh my God!”

“What is it? Some tacky fifties cookie jar or something?”

“No! It’s beautiful! If you don’t want it, can I have it?”

Justin stops gathering everything to make sandwiches for lunch. Glancing over at Daphne, he sees the beautiful art deco lamp. He’s stunned by Kitsch’s gift for them.

“That looks real. I don’t think it’s a reproduction.”

“I’m guessing now I don’t get to keep it.”

“This must have cost a fortune. I can’t believe he gave this to us.”

“Apparently he likes you, or maybe he just likes Brian.”

Justin shakes his head. “I really can’t believe this. We all make fun of him and his designs.”

“It’s your country club manners. You’ve never been mean to anyone, even if you find them distasteful.”

“I can’t help it. It’s the way I was raised.”

“Have you ever considered he just has clients with bad taste?”

“You’ve seen the way he dresses. It’s not just his clients.”

“Maybe so, but he also knows what impeccable taste you have. If he’s met Brian, how can anyone not notice Brian’s sense of style.”

Justin shakes his head, still in disbelief. “I don’t even know what to say.”

“You might start with calling and thanking him.”

~~~

“Justy! I’m home!”

“Hey, buddy, did you have a good morning with Auntie Em?”

“Yep! We went to the park, and I saw a frog by the river.”

Justin’s brain thinks, ick, slimy. “You did? How much fun is that?”

Daphne burst out laughing, she knows how much Justin hates anything in the reptile family.

“It was so much fun, but it jumped back into the river before I could touch it.”

Oh, thank God! “That’s too bad.”

“Yeah, but then I saw a turtle and I touched him. He lives in his shell. Did you know that?”

“I did. That’s pretty special, being able to bring your home with you wherever you go.”

“Justy. Can we meet daddy for lunch at the diner?

“We just ate breakfast at the diner this morning.”

“I know. But I need a chocolate milkshake.”

Justin looks down at the bread, and lunchmeat on the counter. He hasn’t actually started making the sandwiches yet, so he puts everything back in the fridge.

“Let’s call him and see.”

“Can I do it?”

“Sure. Do you remember how?”

“Yep. It’s the first button on the top, Number one.”

Brian’s direct line rings, and rings and then transfers to the front desk.

“Kinnetik Advertising Agency. How can I help you?”

“I want to talk to daddy?”

Julie glances at the phone console and sees that it’s Brian’s private line.

“Hold on just a minute and I’ll find him.”

“Alright. But don’t let him eat lunch.”

“Okay. I’ll make sure he doesn’t.”

Julie can’t help thinking Gus is just adorable.

“Mr. Kinney. Your son is on your private phone line.”

“Thanks, Julie.”

Joking around Brian says, “This is Mr. Kinney, who’s calling?”

“This is Mr. Gus Kinney.”

“Hmmm… Mr. Gus Kinney? Do you need advertising for your business?”

“No, Daddy. It’s me.”

“Oh. That Gus Kinney?”

“Daddy, you’re so silly! I need you to buy me lunch today. I want a cheeseburger, French fries and a chocolate shake.”

“So, you want me to go to McDonalds?”

“No, daddy! Not McDonalds, Grandma Debbie’s diner!”

“Oh. You want me to take you on a lunch date?”

“Yeah. But can Justy, Daphne, and Auntie Em come too?”

“Well, I guess that will be alright?”

“Daddy!”

“If that’s what you want.”

“Daddy, are you funning with me?”

“It’s joking Gus, not funning. Do I need to come and pick you up?”

Looking up he sees Justin shaking his head no. “Justy says no. We’ll walk. So hurry, daddy. I miss you already.”

“I miss you too, Sonny Boy. I’ll see you in a few minutes.”

Gus is holding Justin and Emmett’s hands, skipping and swinging his feet when they lift him off the ground a few inches. He’s laughing, and singing as they walk down the street. Gus sees Brian walking towards them and he takes off running, then he jumps into Brian’s arms.

“Daddy!”

Brian kisses the top of his head, and then he kisses Justin when he catches up with them.

“I starving, Daddy!”

“I’m. It’s I’m starving. We need to work on your sentences for proper English.”

They luck out and get a booth just as it’s being cleaned off. The diner’s full this time of day, and Debbie looks frazzled as she runs around taking orders, and filling coffee cups.

“Deb, I thought you said you we’re going to cut back on your hours?”

“Yeah, well we’re shorthanded. So I agreed to stay for another shift. So what can I get you for lunch?”

“What’s the blue plate special?”

“Fish and chips.”

Brian makes a face, and Emmett claps, excited about the grease laden special.

“Okay, one special, a turkey sandwich, hold the mayo, and I’m guessing three cheeseburgers, with fries and chocolate shakes.”

“Perfect!”

Emmett jokingly asks Brian. “So how’s your morning, dear?”

Smirking, he says, “Peachy!”

“Auntie Em and I went to the park and played by the river. I saw frogs, turtles and baby ducks, but I had to stay far away from them, so the mama duck didn’t get mad at me.”

“I’m glad you had fun with Emmett, but you know he’s not going to be able to play with you every morning.”

“But I want him to!”

“I know he’ll still come by some mornings, but he has other things he needs to do in the mornings.”

Justin speaks up. “Oh, after you left for work this morning, I sat in the car for a few minutes and checked on the cutoff date for kindergarten. It was August first so we just missed it. Gus won’t be five until September 17th, so I’m wondering if we should keep him home another year, or request an exemption so he can start school this year.”

Brian crinkles his nose as he thinks about what might be best for Gus.

“I know this is your decision, Brian, but I think it’s best to wait a year. He’s already gone through so many changes recently, and he’d be the youngest in his class. Although, I do think he would benefit from pre-school and spending time with other kids. He doesn’t really have that many friends, and I think he might be lonely not having anyone to play with on a regular basis.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Teddy started checking into setting up a daycare for Kinnetik employees. We’re considering buying the building Red Cap Comics was renting, but it will need a facelift before it will be ready for children. You don’t know of any designers that might be interested in the project.”

“You know. I might know someone who could help out.”

“You do, do you?”

Emmett mentions. “You know they have children’s classes at the GLC.”

“Emmett! I’m not having my kid hanging out with Phillip and Tannis.”

“Brian. I think we should at least check into it. We don’t have to commit to anything, we can just find out what they offer.”

~~~

Melanie’s upset about her visit with her parents this morning. They came to see her, to let her know of their plans for her future. She tried to communicate with them, but the first thing her mother did was close her computer and put it in one of the drawers in her nightstand. She struggled to talk with them, but her words come out jumbled and slurred. She pounded her hand on the hospital table, trying to make them understand she doesn’t want to move to Florida. She kept saying ‘call Ted Schmidt’, but it just came out as ‘caa sad shit’.

Her mother sympathetically patted her hand. “I know, sweetheart. We’re going to take you back to Florida, so you can forget about everything that’s happened and just relax in the sun. Your father’s already found a place for you at Sunnyside Nursing home.”

Mel violently shook her head, saying. “Na, na, na!”

“That’s right. It’s the place where Nana lived out her last few years. Remember how beautifully landscaped it is, with lots of gardens, sitting areas, and paved pathways so you can get around in your wheelchair.”

“Sad shit! Sad shit!”

“Now Melanie, there’s no need to swear. You know it’s only twenty minutes from the house, so your father and I should be able to come and visit you at least once a week.”

Her lip is trembling, as her tears flow. She’s totally freaked out that her parents have decided to move her to Florida, and have her placed in an institution. Her mind works perfectly, but her body struggles to communicate her wishes and needs. She knows that if she doesn’t find a way to stop her parents, she’ll be warehoused for the next few decades. She knows one thing for sure. If she ever gets out of here and back on her feet, she’s going to start representing clients with disabilities. No one should ever feel this helpless about their own health care.

~~~

Gus is napping, and Justin is sketching, thinking about how great his life is, and how much he loves being married and having a family. Who knew things could change so fast? Earlier this year he was living with Ethan, and he was so depressed and insecure about himself. He now wonders how he ever let his life get to that point. He hates that he allowed Ethan to manipulate him and practically rob him. He can’t help wondering if Ethan ever loved him at all, or was it all about his trust fund? He shakes his head, letting the past go once and for all.

He looks around the loft, remembering when he first came here, and how much Brian irritated him. How he thought he was an arrogant asshole. Yet, he now admits that the attraction was instant, he was just in denial. Then he smiles, thinking about all the designs he had for the space. Even though he loves all the ideas, he now knows that they don’t really fit with their lifestyle anymore. He reflects back on the house listing his mother showed them, and agrees with Brian they just weren’t right for them. He turns the page in his sketch book and sees the floorplans he had sketched for his studio/warehouse. Inspired, he starts sketching new ideas for the space.

~~~

After lunch Brian decides he should visit Mel in the hospital.

Melanie slowly starts to wake up when she hears a familiar voice.

“Good afternoon, Smelly Melly.”

“Briii”

“Where’s your laptop?”

She points to the nightstand. “Dwa”

“What is it doing in the drawer?”

She just rolls her eyes, as she watches Brian set up the computer on the hospital table and roll it in front of her.

“I should tell you that Ted’s in a meeting down the hall with your doctor, your parents, your social worker, and your old boss. He’s now representing you against your parent’s objection concerning your power of attorney.”

Typing on the computer screen she writes, “Oh, thank God!”

“Yeah. The hospital called Ted when your parents started making arrangements to move you out of state. It was in your medical records that Ted was your POA.”

“I’m grateful for that.”

“Well… Ted was the one who completed your intake forms, and he put himself down concerning any medical decisions. Listen, I’m sorry I haven’t been to visit you sooner. Things have been pretty crazy between Lindsay’s admittance to the Psychiatric Hospital, Michael’s imprisonment, and now reduced sentence. Debbie’s new townhouse, running Kinnetik, becoming a fulltime parent, and of course, my new husband.”

“Who would have ever thought, Brian Kinney a married man?”

“Yeah. It just goes to show you that I was totally full of shit, and had no idea what I was talking about.”

“Who are you? You look like Brian Kinney, and you sound like Brian Kinney, but…”

“Yeah. What can I say? I’m in love with the motherfucker! Isn’t love grand!”

“I like him, and he seems good for you. You need someone to take care of you, while making you tow the line. He doesn’t seem like he’d put up with any of your bullshit!”

“That’s for fucking sure!”

“So, the hospital is getting ready to discharge you in a few days. You know how they don’t keep anyone in here any longer than they have to. I’ve made arrangements for you to have a room at the Vic Grassi House. A volunteer will take you to your physical therapy appointments in the afternoons, and your speech therapist will meet with you after that.”

“Your room is in the back on the main floor. It has wheelchair access, and a little courtyard out back, so you can read or work on your computer.”

“Really?”

“Yes. I’ve sponsored some major improvements over the last few years, and purchased the houses on each side. They have a full-time staff, including medical personnel, and of course there’s lots of volunteers from the community.”

She has tears in her eyes, she can hardly believe that Brian is stepping in and taking care of her.

“Thanks.”

“Don’t think you’re getting off easy. You have a long road ahead of you, but the doctor assures us that with patience and determination, you should regain full use of your legs, and speech. Although you’ll still have some residual effects from the stroke.”

“But I won’t have to live in a nursing home, or stay at the Vic Grassi House forever?”

“No. The Vic Grassi House is no longer just hospice care, it’s a rehab facility helping people get back on their feet. Quite a few of the patients have recovered, and actually work there now. I know they could use a good attorney to help with several of their patients’ medical claims and lawsuits.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Your doctor said you haven’t suffered any severe brain damage, just physical. Who knows? Maybe you can help them out while you’re recovering.”

“I’d really like that.”

“Okay, so we’re not going to rush into anything. What’s important is your heath, and wellbeing. I’ve got to go, I’ve got a meeting. But Ted should be in shortly, to give you an update on what’s going on.”

“Thanks, Brian.”

“Listen, Mel. We may not have gotten along in the past, but we’re your family. I’m sorry that you’ve fallen on hard times, but just know I won’t turn my back on you, when you need me the most.”

She watches him leave, realizing that she’s now seeing what Lindsay must have seen in him over the years. Yes, she knows that part of their past problems were because she was jealous of him. He’s finally letting her in to see behind the mask he once used to hide his feelings. Once again, she’s happy for him that he’s found Justin, and opened his heart to love.

TBC…