- Text Size +

 

Emerging

Chapter 3





“Hello, Craig,” Jennifer said when she observed that Craig had put Bree down and was standing looking at the sketch of Brian’s dick.

“You’re looking good,” Craig said as he dragged his eyes away from the sketch.

“I see you found the first sketch that Justin ever sold.”

“The first?” Craig asked with a surprised look.

“Justin entered some sketches at an art show at the GLC. He was just seventeen,” Jennifer said with a wistful look on her face.

“He drew this when he was seventeen?” Craig asked in horror. “And he showed it to the public?” Craig’s disgust was evident in his voice.

“At the GLC - it was hardly the general public,” Jennifer said. “Mostly gays and lesbians.”

“I’m sure they were very appreciative of Justin’s skills,” Craig said disdainfully.

“Or the size of Brian’s dick,” Jennifer laughed.

“How can you laugh about this? There’s nothing funny about it. And you knew! And you didn’t tell me.”

“Would your reaction have been any different than it is now?”

“I would have killed Justin.”

“My point exactly,” Jennifer replied. “And what would that have accomplished?”

“I should have killed Kinney when I rammed him with my car.”

“You’re lucky you’re not in prison for doing that.”

Craig scowled. “He deserved it. He corrupted our son.”

“Justin was a willing participant, Craig.”

“Christ, stop saying things like that.” Craig rubbed his hand over his face.

“Even after twenty years, you haven’t come to terms with the fact that our son is gay. How can you continue to be such a bigot?”

“I’m not a bigot,” Craig protested.

“What would you call yourself?” Jennifer demanded, curious to see how her former husband would answer that question.

“I’m a father who wants to protect his son from a sex pervert.”

Jennifer laughed. She truly found Craig’s answer funny. “Your son is one of those sex perverts too. There’s nothing to protect him from. He lives the life he chooses to live. Are you ever going to come to terms with that, Craig? You’re not protecting your son, you’re protecting yourself. You’re sticking your ignorant head in the sand. And you make your granddaughter miserable when you don’t see her for months on end.”

“I…” Before Craig could say anything more Jennifer walked away. She didn’t want to hear any more of Craig’s excuses and condemnations. She had divorced him to get away from those. Apparently nothing had changed, even after all these years.

She found Seth and got a much needed hug. She always needed a hug after talking to her ex-husband. She didn’t know why she bothered.



*****



“I’m really enjoying this show, Justin,” Claire McNally said as she approached the artist. “It’s so different from all your other shows.”

“Yeah, it is,” Justin responded thoughtfully.

“Your view of the world has changed so much.”

“You think so?” Justin asked perking up at Claire’s comment. “You’re the first person tonight to say that.”

“Am I? Well, I’m hardly an art critic, but it seems pretty obvious to me.”

“How do you think it’s changed?”

“I’m sure you know,” Claire said, a little reticent to explain herself. She felt she was a little out of her league talking about Justin’s art and what it meant, especially talking about it with Justin himself.

“I know what I think about it,” Justin replied, “but I would be very interested to hear what you think.”

“Okay, but promise not to laugh if it sounds too naïve or … stupid.”

“Nothing you’ve ever said to me has been stupid, Claire. I really want to know what you see when you look at this show.”

“Your sketches and paintings from long ago show such talent and ability. You really can draw so beautifully. But when you abstract the same things, they are so full of emotion and understanding and love. They brighten my soul when I look at them.”

Justin swallowed hard as he listened to Claire’s words. When she stopped speaking, he grabbed her and hugged her tight, fighting to keep the tears that flooded his eyes from running down his cheeks. He wasn’t able to say anything. He merely hung onto the woman who meant a lot to him, and who seemingly got him in ways that few others did,

“Justin, Justin,” Claire said gently. Her hand rubbed the back of his neck as she held onto him almost as tightly as he was holding onto her. “I didn’t mean to upset you? Are you all right?”

There was no response for what seemed like a long time, but then Justin gently released her, and blinking to hold back the tears, he looked deep into Claire’s eyes. “I … I don’t think I could have expressed any better what this show says about the way I was and the way I am now. Maybe one other word could have been included in your description. Joy! I feel such joy about my life and my art and the people I love. Even when something makes me sad, I know there’s joy on the other side of it.”

“That’s so beautiful, Justin,” Claire said pulling the artist back into a warm hug, much less intense than the previous one, but just as heartfelt. “You really should write a book.”

Justin laughed at Claire’s suggestion. “I think I’ll stick to painting my … Joy. Nobody would want to read what I wrote.”

Claire let go of Justin and examined his face intently. “They would, you know, if you wrote things like what you just said. The world always needs optimism.”

“I wasn’t always so optimistic,” Justin reminded her.

“Since I’ve known you, you have been.”

“You never knew me before Brian and I really got together.”

“Was that the difference?”

“Meeting him was the defining moment of my life.”

“That’s a lot of responsibility to place on one person.”

“Brian can handle it,” Justin said with a little smile. “We help each other.”

“That’s why you’re so good together.”

“Yeah, and it’s good to be reminded of that sometimes.”

“I’m always happy to oblige,” Claire said with a little chuckle.

“What are you up to, mother?” John asked, having witnessed the hugs and obvious emotion between his mother and Justin.

“Me? I’m just explaining Justin’s art to him,” Claire laughed.

“You’re what?” John asked.

“She was,” Justin agreed. “Your mother’s a very smart woman.”

“Don’t I know it!”

Claire gently swatted John on the chest in admonishment for his overly kind words. But she couldn’t help hugging her son too. It was good to be called smart and to be appreciated by those that she loved.



*****



“Craig,” Brian said, coming up behind the man as he studied one of Justin’s large abstracts.

“Brian,” Craig replied curtly.

“I’m glad you came tonight.”

“You are?” Craig asked in surprise. “I didn’t think you’d be any happier to see me than I am to see you.”

“Ordinarily I would have to agree, but tonight is special for Justin. He appreciates you being here, and therefore, so do I. To say nothing of Bree. She’s beyond ecstatic to see you.”

The set of Craig’s jaw eased slightly. “She is a wonderful little girl.”

“Yes, she is. I … I want to make a deal with you,” Brian said. He had decided he would do this, and he was going to go through with it. “If it will make it easier for you to visit Bree at our home, I could arrange not to be there.”

Craig opened his mouth to say something, but was momentarily at a loss as to what to say. He shook his head.

“Does that mean you won’t be visiting her?” Brian asked, his eyes turning into a glare. God, he hated this man.

“No, that isn’t what I meant. You’d do that? Vacate your home so I can visit my granddaughter?”

Brian nodded. “I believe that’s what I said.”

“Why?”

Brian heaved a sigh. “I thought you could figure that out for yourself. Bree loves you, although god knows why.” Craig returned Brian’s glare at that comment. “I want Bree to be happy. She wants to see you, have a relationship with you.”

“And you’d leave the house if I wanted you too.”

“That’s right.”

“That won’t be necessary,” Craig replied brusquely.

“Then you won’t be visiting Edna’s Treasures?” Brian hoped his voice didn’t reveal how disappointed he was, not for himself but for Bree. It had taken a lot for him to make that offer, but he had seen how happy Bree was to have her Gampa back for the evening. He wanted her to have more of that contact.

“I didn’t say that,” Craig stated.

“Then will you be visiting Bree or not?” Brian asked getting irritated by Craig’s less than useful responses.

“I haven’t decided.” Craig turned and walked away.

“What were you and my dad talking about?” Justin asked as he joined Brian.

“Nothing.”

“There was a lot of lip movement for saying nothing.”

“I was explaining relationships to your asshole father.”

“I thought you were the resident asshole,” Justin said trying to joke and lighten Brian’s mood.

“I’m abdicating that position and nominating your fucking father to take it on. As far as I’m concerned, he’s got the asshole market cornered.”

“Cripes, what happened between you too?” Justin asked with a worried look on his face.

“I’ll tell you when we get home,” Brian said. “Go, enjoy your show. It’s fabulous! Everyone tells me so.”

“Okay, but I want to know what my father did this time.”

“He’s not worth worrying about,” Brian said kissing Justin’s cheek. “I better go find our daughter, before she takes over the gallery.”

“You do that,” Justin said with a chuckle as Brian walked away. Then he frowned wondering what his father had done to Brian this time.



*****



“Dada!” Bree marched over to her father with all the authority of a seven-year-old going-on-thirty.

‘Uh oh,’ Brian thought to himself when he took a good look at his daughter’s face. “Yes, General Squirt.”

“Dada, who is that girl?” Bree demanded to know. “She’s been hogging JR forever.”

Brian squatted down to have a serious face to face with his demanding daughter. “I’m not quite sure. We haven’t been formally introduced, but I believe she’s a new artist that your daddy is sponsoring. She has some drawings on display for the Emerging Artists show that’s opening soon.”

“Oh. But why is she talking to my JR?” Bree asked so seriously that Brian had to conjure up every ‘I’m the evil cranky bossman’ attitude he possessed so he wouldn’t burst into laughter.

“I imagine it’s because she and JR are close in age. And your daddy said that she just moved here so she doesn’t have many friends yet.”

“Oh.” Bree thought hard about what her father had just imparted. Brian saw the baby gerbil in Bree’s head running on overtime. She looked so much like Justin that it was hard for Brian to maintain his tough exterior. “Should I introduce myself to her? I know lots of people,” Bree explained as she waved her arms in the air to indicate the crowd that surrounded them. She indeed knew many of the attendees since the boys made it a point to include Bree in practically every art show opening Justin was involved with.

“I think that would be very nice. Do you want me to go with you?” Brian offered.

“No, Dada, I can handle it,” Bree said confidently.

“I have no doubt about that. Remember, be polite and go slow. I think she’s a little shy.” Brian didn’t want to bring up the fact that Candy’s mother was sick. Bree would find out soon enough.

“Okay Dada,” Bree said lifting up her cheek to her father; Brian gave her a kiss. Satisfied, Bree marched away, a young lady on a mission.

“What was that all about?” Gus asked his father. He had arrived more than fashionably late and was making up for lost time by making the rounds before speaking with his father.

“Your sister was just confirming her supreme dominance over us mere mortals.”

“Ah. In other words, business as usual.”

“Yep. Welcome back, Sonny Boy,” Brian greeted his son with a hug, bussing his head. “Is N’rgy still in one piece?” Brian asked as he arched a brow.

“Yes, it is. As if you didn’t know.” Gus stopped to do a double take. “Is that Craig?” Brian followed his son’s gaze.

“The one and only.”

“What the fuck is he doing here?”

“Aside from usurping my title as number one asshole, he’s actually being a grandfather to Bree. For once in his miserable life,” Brian added with a grumble.

“Bree must be over the moon.”

“Yeah, she is and I don’t have the heart to take that away from her. Even if he does hate me.”

“I never understood that,” Gus muttered to himself as he got a soda off a tray held by a passing waiter. The waiter gave Gus an approving once over. Spying the father, Brian got his own approving once over as well.

“In your dreams,” Brian said almost reading the lascivious thoughts. The waiter pouted then moved off to another guest. “Bet he’d cream his pants if John was standing here too.” Brian joined Gus by a sketch of Brian cradling a baby Gus in his arms. The accompanying painting was filled with hues of green and blue. Brian got the symbolism of the blue representing baby boy Gus. The shades of green represented both he and Gus with their changeable hazel eyes.

“How can a father hate his own son?” Gus asked as he looked at the sketch. As much as Brian pretended not to be emotionally involved with baby Gus, the look in his eyes as he held the infant betrayed his true feelings. Brian was never just the sperm donor he pretended to be.

“Craig doesn’t hate Justin, he hates what he is. What we are. He can’t reconcile that he produced a homosexual. It still hurts Justin but not as much as it hurts to see Bree neglected by Craig. Your sister loves that asshole and doesn’t understand why he won’t visit her. I even offered to make myself scarce if he wanted to visit at the cottage.”

“Justin’s not going to like that.”

“Yeah, well, what he doesn’t know won’t hurt me, and Craig hasn’t taken me up on the offer yet. So I’m dropping it for now. How’s your mother?”

“Miserable. Missing Mama and JR, but she’s honestly glad that JR is happy at Uncle Mikey’s house. They’ve been doing lunch.” Gus made quote marks in the air as he said ‘doing lunch.’ “JR thinks it’s fabulous,” Gus said in a very Emmett tone as he rolled his eyes. Brian smirked.

“At least Lindsay doesn’t feel totally abandoned by her family,” Brian remarked.

“Dad, should I stay home this semester?”

“No! That’s the last thing your mother would want. No, she’s got to work this out for herself. As long as your mom and your sister see each other on a regular basis, Lindsay will be all right.”

“You’ll be there for her if she needs you, won’t you?” Gus looked into his father’s eyes for reassurance. Brian drew Gus into a hug.

“Of course I will,” he whispered into his son’s ear. A soft clearing of the throat made father and son break apart.

“Brian. Gus,” the woman said in an overly aristocratic tone.

“Mrs. Kingsley,” Brian and Gus said together.

“Sarah, please. After all we are family. What a wonderful turn out,” she exclaimed grandly, as if she was personally responsible for it. Brian nodded, wishing she would get to the point. “And I’ve been hearing wonderful things about you, Gus.” At Gus’ confused expression, Sarah went on to explain. “I was told that you were recently in New York and that you made a wonderful impression. Keep this up and you’ll go far in society. Oh, I see an old friend with Justin; I must speak with her. Kisses!” Sarah air kissed in the general area of Brian and Gus then flitted out of view.

“What the fuck was that all about?” Gus asked.

“Not a fucking clue. I was hoping you’d explain,” Brian said. “When did you have time to make an impression in New York City high society?”

“Ya got me. I was too busy trying not to get my ass fired. Although Ray and I did make an impression at his GLC,” Gus teased, waggling his eyebrows.

“I bet you did. Personally I don’t give a shit, but if THE Sarah Kingsley is happy then I guess it can’t be bad. Come on, I think we better find your sister before she convinces Sidney to feature a piano soloist at his next show.” Brian chuckled at Gus’ expression of abject fear. “Exactly, Sonny Boy.” Father and son went to go find the next Yanni.



*****



“Gampa, do you love me?” Bree asked Craig. They were admiring a painting of toddler Bree in the garden, standing amongst the summer blossoms. She was wearing a large protective sun bonnet and a pink dress. She reminded Craig of a miniature southern belle. Jennifer was also in the painting wearing a pale pink flowing dress, holding her own sun hat and gazing lovingly at her granddaughter. Craig felt a momentary twinge of regret.

“Oh course, I love you, sweetheart. Why would you ask such a thing?” Craig asked, but he knew the answer he was going to get.

“Because I don’t see you forever and you see Taylor more than me,” Bree softly whined.

“That’s not true, I...” Craig almost lied but Bree’s intense violet blue eyes stopped him. “Bree, don’t ever think that I don’t love you. I adore you but...”

“You still don’t like my Dada,” Bree whispered sadly. Craig had no words to offer. Bree spoke the truth. Bree’s eyes filled with tears.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. I truly am. I wish it could be different but I don’t think it ever will be,” Craig admitted.

“Come here, Princess.” John swooped in like a knight in shining armor saving the damsel in distress. “Let’s not let your daddies see those tears. This is supposed to be a happy occasion,” John said as he lifted Bree into his arms, quickly wiping away her tears. “I think it’s time for Gampa Craig to say goodnight. It’s way past his bedtime.”

“Gampas have bedtimes?” Bree asked innocently, snuffling away any more tears.

“Yes, they do. So say goodnight to Gampa Craig, and maybe if he’s really good, you can make a date with him and spend a whole day together,” John suggested with a Kinney type glare that only Craig could see.

Craig quickly nodded. “I’d like that, honey. When I get home I’ll check my calendar. Gamma Susan will call you tomorrow so we can spend a day together before school starts. Is that all right with you?” Craig asked Bree, but glanced at John for his approval as well.

John nodded his head but continued to glare at the man. Craig knew when not to bullshit.

“Oh yes, Gampa!” Bree cried as she reached out for grandfather. Craig quickly looked up again at John for approval before taking the child. John handed over his niece but was prepared to snatch her back in a flash. “I love you, Gampa!”

“I love you, sweetheart. I really do,” Craig said into the soft strawberry blond hair. “I love you with all my heart; never forget that.”

“Okay, Gampa,” Bree said kissing his cheek.

Craig kissed his granddaughter then reluctantly handed her back to John. John’s expression softened just a bit as he took back his niece. They watched as Craig made it through the crowd to find his wife and then briefly say goodbye to his son. Justin nodded at something Craig said with a smile, and then watched his father and Susan leave for the night.

“Mind telling me how you performed that minor miracle?” Brian snarked as he joined his brother and Bree. Bree happily squirmed out of John’s arms to become hostess to her daddy’s show once more.

“You just have to know how to handle them,” John replied with a smirk.

“Them who?” Gus asked as he joined his father and uncle.

“Assholes,” John responded drily.

“Oh,” Brian and Gus said in unison.

A dropping of a tray startled the three Kinney men who all turned to see an embarrassed waiter slink off to the service area holding the tray in front of his crotch. Three Kinney eyebrows arched.

“I knew he’d cream his pants,” Brian mumbled smugly to himself as he slung his arms over his son’s and brother’s shoulders redirecting them back toward the main gallery. The Kinney men sauntered back to the crowd.