- Text Size +

 

Emerging

Chapter 9





“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“You getting ready to go?”

“Yeah.”

“What’s wrong?”

“I miss you. The loft is so empty without you.”

“Yeah, I got used to you hogging the sheets,” Ray laughed.

“Me? I had to fight with you every night to get a piece of a sheet.”

“If you didn’t have such long legs, you’d have more sheets. And you snore.”

“I do not snore!”

“You’re right. It’s more like a wheeze.” Ray made a whistling noise trying to imitate that Kinney wheeze.

“Oh yeah, well you mumble in your sleep.” Gus made a mumbling, low grumbling noise trying to imitate Ray’s mumblings. The boys cracked up with laughter.

“Thank you,” Ray managed to say when they both calmed.

“For what?”

“For making me laugh. You always make me laugh. It’s one of the things I love about you!”

“You love me?” Gus asked with only a slight smugness to his tone.

“Yeah, you big mush, I do. Did you pack everything? Just because you now have your Jeep doesn’t mean you're driving back and forth cause you forgot a sock or something.”

“Yes, mother, I have everything,” Gus snarked as he rolled his eyes. “I also have a shitload of food packed in the back seat. They all think I’m going to starve on the drive up. And I can’t tell you how much Grandmaw cooked and froze!”

“You’re a growing boy.”

“And if I eat everything, I’ll be growing in the wrong direction! Um, are your ‘rents gonna let you come here for Labor Day. Dad and Justin are doing their thing.”

“Yeah, the dads gave me the thumbs up.”

“That’s great!”

“Maybe we can spend winter break together,” Ray ventured.

“I’d like that. Uh, Ray...”

“Yeah, I know, you gotta get on the road.”

“Yeah. I’ll call you when I get to my apartment.”

“Okay. Gus, please be careful. Don’t get all stupid on the road, okay? I really want you around for a very long time. Promise me.”

“I promise, Ray. And I don’t lie.”

“I know; that’s another thing I love about you. And your long legs.”

“I kinda miss all that mumbling you do.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah....shit we sound like a pair of lesbians!” The boys cracked up again then said goodbye for real. With promises to check in with each other often, Ray finally hung up and Gus finally set the alarm to the loft, locked up and went down to the Jeep.

“What!” Gus barked into his phone even before he got the chance to turn the ignition.

“Whoa there, Sonny Boy. No need to bite my head off,” Brian said to his son.

“I’m sorry, Pop. Everyone’s been calling me, ya know?”

“Yeah, I know. When I was about to leave for Penn, Deb cried for a week then she cooked up a storm. I was going by bus and had no clue how get all her shit on the bus.”

“Yeah, well, she hasn’t changed. I have half her kitchen in the back seat. Lacy threw some lemon bars at me and I won’t even go into what Emm cooked.” Brian laughed at Gus’ put upon griping.

“They love you, Sonny Boy.”

“I know they do, Pop. It’s kinda nice except my new car smell is turning into Debbie’s lasagna smell!” The Kinney men cracked up into similar giggles.

“I love you, Sonny Boy. You drive carefully.”

“I will, Pop. And Pop?”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“The summer, the Jeep, everything.”

“Gus, I...”

“I know, Pop. I love you too. You’re the bestest Pop in the whole fucking world.”

Brian choked for a moment then found his voice. “Call me when you get there,” he commanded.

“I will.”

“Promise me, no stupid shit.”

“No stupid shit, I promise and I...”

“I know. Now get the fuck going. At this rate you won’t get there until tomorrow.”

Gus laughed. “I’m goin’! I’m goin’! Shit, you’d think you were trying to get rid of me or somethin’.”

“Never, Sonny Boy. And don’t forget to call your mother.”

“I will. Later, Pop.”

“Later.” Then Gus was finally off.



*****



“Ms. Peterson, thank you for seeing me.”

“Thank you for meeting me here. Justin’s show has been so well received that we’ve been working double time to keep up with the sales and portrait requests,” Lindsay explained as she showed Riley through the gallery. “Have you seen his work?” she asked as she gave him an impromptu tour.

“I caught a glimpse of his work when I spent time at their cottage. He is quite remarkable.”

“Yes he is. But I get the feeling you’re not here to discuss Justin’s work.”

“No, I’m not, although I may want to purchase a small painting. His garden scenes are magnificent. So full of life.” Riley paused in front a painting that was obviously done of Brian in the cottage gardens. Brian was standing with a small spade in his hand, wiping the sweat off his brow. The sun was shining brightly, making the sweat on Brian’s arms sparkle. Riley could see each muscle defined. Riley shook himself. Brian was certainly a stunning man, but it was the obvious way that he was so lovingly painted that made his attributes even more beautiful.

“I was hoping to discuss your cottage. If you haven’t found a buyer yet, I’d like to make an offer,” Riley said as he walked over to another picture. It was a sketch of a pretty little girl. Riley could see a family resemblance to Justin and Jennifer and surmised that the girl must be a young Molly.

“My ex-partner will be in town in a couple of weeks. I can bring your offer to the table.”

“I’m in no rush and more than willing to work with you and her, within reason, of course.”

“Of course. Mr. Riley...”

“Just Riley.”

“Riley, I have to warn you that Melanie can sometimes be a bit...”

“Set in her ways?” Riley offered.

“That’s putting it politely. I was going to say pig-headed.”

“I’d like to believe I’m a fair man. This is my offer,” Riley handed Lindsay a folded paper. “Discuss it with Ms. Marcus and let me know. As I said, I’m in no rush and I have the ability to be flexible.”

Lindsay glanced at the written figure. “This is more than generous.”

“My tour guides were very persuasive,” Riley said with a small smile. “And I wanted you to know that my offer is a serious one.” Lindsay agreed. “Thank you for seeing me, I’ll let you get back to your work.”

“Thank you, and thank you for the offer. If the decision was totally up to me, I’d agree to it immediately but...”

“I completely understand. Let me know when Ms. Marcus is available, and we can discuss it further.” Riley handed Lindsay his business card.

“I will.”

“Do you think I could linger for a while to...” Riley waved his hand at Justin’s exhibit.

“Please do. I’ll let security know. They’ll let you out.”

“Thank you.” As Lindsay went back to work, Riley slowly took in the exhibit. “Hello,” Riley said to a young lady sitting on a stool. She was studying one of Justin’s portraits of Bree then trying to adapt the style to her own. She had a photograph clipped to a corner of her sketchbook. “That’s very nice.”

“You think so?” The girl looked up from her pad.

“Yes, I do. I’m Riley,” he extended his hand.

“Candy,” the girl responded then politely shook his hand. “I’m trying to draw my mother.”

“She’s very pretty.”

“Thank you, are you an artist?”

“In a way. I used to play the piano but now I just tune them,” Riley explained at Candy’s perplexed look.

“Oh. What are you doing here?” she asked, slightly suspicious.

“I had an appointment with Ms. Peterson. Do you know her?”

“Yes,” Candy responded calmly. “She helped me to get some of my stuff into the Emerging Artists Show.”

“May I see your work?”

“Really?”

“Yes. I’m buying a new house and I’m thinking of filling it with paintings.”

“I don’t think I’m good enough for that yet,” Candy said as she hopped down from her stool to show Riley her small corner of the gallery.

“These are wonderful. You do have talent.” He seemed genuinely pleased.

“You’re not just saying that. Because a lot of people say things like that to be nice. I want honest opinions.”

“I couldn’t agree more. Honesty is always the best policy. And no, I’m not just saying that. You have raw talent, with more practice you can make something of yourself.”

“I’ve been told some of my stuff is a little dark.”

“Maybe, but we all go through a dark period in our lives. You’re fortunate to have an outlet to express it. When the period ends it’ll also be reflected in your art.”

“No one’s ever said anything like that to me before. You must understand.” Riley nodded. He did understand. After more than twenty years, his own darkness was finally lifting.

“Let me show you something,” Riley said as he led Candy to Justin’s exhibit, specifically the time just after the bashing when he was trying to find his reason for drawing again. “Do you see it?” Riley asked.

“The darkness?” Riley nodded at Candy’s question. She could see the pain.

“Now look at this one.” Riley pointed to a portrait of Brian and baby Bree asleep together on a brass bed surrounded by a myriad of bright flowers. “He made it through his darkness. It makes his happiness all the brighter.”

“But what if the darkness never ends,” Candy said softly.

“It does. I promise you, it will end. You just have to hang on long enough and let people you trust help you.”

“You sound like you lost someone very special.”

“I did, and I’m just finding out that there is life after.”

“Is she nice?” Candy asked in all innocence. Riley chuckled.

“Yes, she is. Very nice.”

“That’s good. My mother is very sick.”

“I’m so sorry. Your father...”

“I don’t have one or one that wants me. But Justin and his family have all been so nice, and they keep telling me that I won’t be all alone and...” A few tears slipped down Candy’s cheeks. Riley put his arm around her.

“I recently spent some time with Justin and his family. I was tuning his daughter’s piano. Do you want to know what I learned while I was there?” Candy nodded. “I learned that Justin is a very remarkable and very honest young man. If he says that you won’t be alone then you can believe him. His family is very strong and close. If you’ve been ‘adopted’ by them then you’ll never be alone.”

“Did they adopt you?”

Riley laughed at her question. “Yes, do I believe they have. They certainly don’t let me alone,” he chuckled, remembering the brunch at Debbie’s and the good natured scrutiny he received. “Miss Candy, when you’re ready and when I buy my new house I’d be honored if you’d paint a very special portrait for me.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really.”

“Of your old love or your new?” she asked with the wisdom of a romantic.

“Good question, I’m not sure. I never want to forget my first true love, but the person I’m seeing has breathed such new life into me that it’s important to honor that too. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. In any event, I want a painting from you. And I’ll be sure to attend your show.”

“Thank you!” Candy said as Riley walked her back to her perch. “Bye! Mr. Riley.”

“Bye, Miss Candy, it was a pleasure meeting you,” Riley said with a handsome smile. As he left the gallery, he felt lighter than he had in years.



*****



“Dada, do I hafta go to school soon?”

“Yes, Squirt, you do,” Brian answered with a parental arch of his brow. He was leaning over the balcony railing looking down at the porch. Bree was in the sun porch painting at her easel. Justin was at one of his easels as well, suddenly inspired to paint Bree as she concentrated on her painting. Brian was amused at their matching expressions.

“Oh. Will I be in a special class again?”

“According to your report card you will be.”

“Oh. I’m going to Unca John’s school?”

“Uncle John’s school?” Brian asked not quite sure which school Bree was referring too.

“You know the one that Unca John built.”

“Oh that one. Yes, you and Patrick will be going there. And I think Ashley’s mother will be teaching there this year.”

“Yay!” Bree jumped up and down then suddenly stopped when she realized something.

“What?” Justin looked up from his easel when he noticed the change in Bree’s demeanor.

“That means Winona will be there too,” Bree said with a sigh.

“I imagine she will be,” Justin chuckled then laughed when he looked up at Brian. Brian scrambled back to the safety of his office at the thought of running into Mrs. Vanderbrot. “We have hours more of light; let’s get back to work,” Justin suggested.

“Okay, Daddy!” Bree said cheerfully as the artistic pair picked up their brushes. “Can we invite Ashley and her mommy to our barbecue?”

“Excellent idea! I’ll call them later.”

“Maybe Winona and her mommy too,” Bree generously added.

“Maybe,” Justin said loud enough for the grump to hear.

They conveniently ignored the muffled cursing coming from above them.



*****



“Did you get my itinerary?”

“Yes.”

“Does it work for you?”

“I can make myself available.”

“Are you busy?”

“Incredibly.”

“Really.”

“Yes, Mel, really. Why is it that you still think only you can be busy? I work very hard at what I do and I’ve been asked to lecture this semester. I am biz-zy!” Lindsay stressed over the phone. She let the uncomfortable silence hang in the air, patiently waiting for Melanie to make the next move. Lindsay heard Mel clear here throat before speaking.

“So have you found a buyer for the cottage?” Mel asked as if Lindsay wasn’t capable of handling any of their finances. Mel had taken on that responsibility when they were together and couldn’t believe that Lindsay wasn’t constantly on the phone with questions.

“As a matter of fact I received a very generous offer the other day. The proposal will be waiting for you when we meet.”

“Really?” Mel asked incredulously.

‘No, Riley,’ Lindsay thought to herself then laughed out loud at her own joke.

“What’s so funny?” Mel grumbled.

“Nothing, just something I saw in the article I’m reading. Sorry.” Lindsay coughed. “Did you speak with JR lately?”

“One day last week; she seems happy. She’s looking forward to school.”

“Yes, we went shopping for clothes yesterday. Oh my gosh! What the teens are wearing this year … or not.” Lindsay laughed. “She tried to convince me that this peep-holed blouse was practically the school uniform.”

“I hope you didn’t let her get away with it!” Mel said ready for a fight.

“Of course not, but we compromised on her jeans. I even got her to shop at the vintage shoppe.”

“Well, I guess...”

“And Gus, did he call you from Penn?” Lindsay cut Mel off before she could complain.

“Yes. So the asshole got him the Jeep,” Mel said smugly.

“No, we all got Gus the Jeep just like we all agreed at his birthday last year. He received his ‘Fur Harry’ for keeping up his grades, passing his driving course and for working at Kinnetik. He deserved it.”

“I guess so,” Mel said sadly. She was realizing that life was moving on whether she was there or not. And Lindsay almost sounded happy. “How are you doing?” Mel surprised Lindsay and herself with the question.

Lindsay thought about it for a moment. “I can honestly say that I’m okay. More than okay. I may not be ecstatically happy over our situation but I can see it’s for the best. It’s time we moved on with our lives. I’m glad you’ve found someone, Mel. I truly am.”

“How did you know?”

“Come on, Mel. I’m not that naive. You’re a beautiful woman and the phone lines are very clear. I can hear her when you call.”

“Oh. Have you been seeing anyone? Not that it’s any of my business.”

“No, it isn’t, but no, I’m not seeing anyone at the moment. I’ve had a few offers but I’m taking the time to find me. When I’ve done that and when we get all of our stuff settled then I’ll think about dating. But for now, I’m content.”

“Yes, you are, I can hear it in your voice.”

Lindsay let the silence stretch on again. It felt empowering somehow.

“I imagine it’s getting late there. I’ll let you get some sleep.”

“All right.”

“I’ll call you when my plane lands.”

“That's fine, I'll see you then. Good night, Mel.”

“Good night, Linds.”

Lindsay hung up. The woman she spent the majority of her adult years trying to love was almost out of her life. She did feel some remorse regarding the failure of her marriage, but at the same time she was proud of herself too. She had two beautiful children that she not only loved but was friends with. She had a fabulous career, and family who would never let her fall.

Lindsay looked down at the magazine on her lap. It was that old issue with a scantily clad Melanie that used to make her all hot and bothered. She flipped through the pages until she found the center page.

“She was so beautiful,” Lindsay murmured to herself remembering the fantasy fueled time she had with herself and her hand. “Good bye, Mel,” Lindsay said as she closed the magazine then flipped it into the trashcan near her bed.

“I kinda like the new me,” she said to herself.

Lindsay reached over to turn off her light then snuggled into her bed. Her thoughts before she fell asleep were that of a vibrant butterfly emerging from a cocoon, spreading its wings then taking flight.

-end-

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Emerging also liked 552 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is Nuff Rope. The next story in the series is Emerge Victorious.