- Text Size +

 

Just a Walk in the Park

71/59

"Oh shit!"

"Brian? Brian!"

"Dad? What the hell happened?"

"What the fuck do you think happened, I trip over something and I think I broke my hip."

"Brian don't move, Gus call for an ambulance."

"Right away Pop."

"Bri, you in a lot of pain?"

"What do you think."

"Brian."

"Sorry Sunshine, I feel like an idiot and my hip is throbbing. Where's the fucking ambulance?"

"On their way Dad. What did you trip on?"

"Don't know, I think I'm laying on it, I'd rather be laying on something, someone else."

"Dad, don't you ever get your mind out of the gutter or out of Pop?"

"No."

"Can you lift up a little, I'll try to get it out from under you. Got it. I'm sorry Dad, it's one of Justine's toys. I keep trying to get her to put her toys away."

"Gus, I'm in her play room, I should've watched where I was going; she's only 4 Gus, how is she to know that she has a clumsy old fool for a Grandfather. It was an accident. You were no better at her age. Justin and I were always tripping over your shit."

"Dad, you're not old or clumsy. I love you Dad."

"Love you too, Sonny Boy."

"They're here Brian."

"Oh joy."

~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~

"Mr. Kinney, there's good news and bad. Which do you want first?"

"Just my luck to get a doctor with a sense of humor. Just tell me."

"Well your hip is not broken, just dislocated."

"And this is good, right?"

"Well yes and no. If it was broken, we'd do surgery, maybe a hip replacement, you'd be home in a few days, then you'd have therapy. With a dislocation of this sort you'll need to wear this hip brace, for at least the next 2 weeks. You're only allowed to remove it one hour per day. That's very important, only one hour; for the rest of the time the brace must stay in place. You're at risk for the hip to pop out again. Fortunately for you you've kept yourself in shape. Your muscles are remarkably taut for a man of your age so hopefully after 2 weeks the brace can come off and you wont need it again."

"See, Justin, and you make fun of me cause I'm obsessive with exercising."

"He'll be alright wont he doctor?"

"Yes, my assistant will give you instructions for the brace, do's and don'ts of what you can do physically and a script for pain medication. Oh and when you take the brace off I want you to inspect your leg or have your friend..."

"Partner."

"Partner, inspect it. Check the leg for abrasions from the brace, if you find anything, come back to me or my assistant immediately. We'd need to adjust it. No adjusting it on your own, you could do more damage. And one more thing."

"Yes."

"May I suggest a temporary change of position."

"Sitting or reclining."

"Brian, cut it out. What do you mean, doctor, uh doctor?"

"Sumberlin. How do I put this? You two are sexually active?"

"That's none of your business."

"Yes it is, unless you want your leg to dislocate again."

"Brian, shut up; go on doctor."

"May I suggest that you, Mr. Kinney, allow your partner to do the work, so to speak, lay back and enjoy."

"I think we can comply with those instructions."

"Good, now Mr. ?"

"Taylor, and you can call me Justin."

"Can you go out a minute, my assistant will give you the script and instructions and please make an appointment to come back in 2 weeks. We'll need to re-xray to see if we can safely remove the brace at that time."

"Bri, you'll be alright for a minute."

"Yes, mother."

~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~

"What aren't you telling me?"

"Huh? Oh no nothing like that, I wanted to ask you. You are Brian Kinney, ‘the' Brian Kinney?"

"I'm Brian Kinney, I don't know what you mean about the ‘the' part."

"We've met before, although I know you'd never remember, but damn, I remember you."

"Oh shit, we didn't, you weren't?"

"An old trick? Yes."

"Fuck!"

"Yes, did we ever, it was the best I ever had. Please don't be anxious about it. Believe me, back then I knew the score."

"I don't do repeats."

"I'm your doctor and I know your rules, besides I think your partner may have something to say about it."

"Oh boy, would he. Aren't you a little old to still be practicing medicine?"

"I'm the chief of orthopedics, I work when I want, I like to keep active. I think you can relate. You're semi-retired aren't you?"

"Yeah, my son runs the agency now."

"Well then you know what I mean."

"Yes I do."

"Brian? You ready to go? He is ready isn't he?"

"Yes he is. Nice meeting you both and I'll see you back here in 2 weeks."

"Thank you doctor."

"Thanks. Shit, crutches do not go with Armani."

"Come on Bri."

~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~

"George, come here a minute."

"What's up doc?"

"Very funny. Do you know who that was?"

"No."

"That was the legendary Brian fuckin' Kinney, super stud of Liberty Avenue."

"I think I heard about him."

"George, every fag in Pittsburgh knows about him and his partner."

"The blond? He is rather good looking for an old man."

"Hey watch who your calling old; Justin Taylor is not much older than you."

"Justin Taylor? The artist?"

"Yup."

"Don't you have a couple of his paintings in your collection?"

"Yes I do, a landscape of Italy and a portrait of Kinney."

"That nude?"

"Yeah."

"Shit, wow!"

"Yeah wow. He was certainly, wow, back then, and not to shabby now."

"For an old guy. How do you know him?"

"Let's just say I had first hand knowledge of the legend."

"He didn't, you didn't."

"Oh yes we did, a one of. I guess that's why I remained single and devoted myself to my work. I could never meet anyone who could live ‘up' to the stud."

"Hank, that's kind of sad. Aren't you lonely?"

"No, not really, my work always came first and my research."

"Yes, I am well aware of that. What made him so special?"

"I'm not really sure. He'd fuck the hell out of you then leave or kick you out but he always made sure you were satisfied, real satisfied. He was an asshole but a considerate asshole. Then he met the blond, the twink who never left. Those two have been together for damn near 40 years."

"Forty years! Shit, I don't know any het couples who have been together that long."

"Me neither. Funny how things work out. Come on, back to work, no more walks down memory lane."

"He'll be alright, wont he?"

"I'm sure he will, someone that stubborn always comes out on top."