- Text Size +

 

Just a Walk in the Park

36/24 Pt. 2

"God, Bri, you have to try this sauerbraten, it's so tender you can cut it with a spoon."

"Mmm, you're right. Try the schnitzel."

"Oh, that's good. Wanna share another potato pancake?"

"I'll burst...oh what the hell, lay it on me."

"Good?"

"Oh yeah. Sooo, did you enjoy your day in the big city?"

"Did I?! Brian, this was the best and I'm so proud of you. You were so well behaved."

"I was, wasn't I."

"Yup. You were so patient when I was sketching. I don't think I heard more than, um, four growls the whole time. And there was no loss of life."

"Did you fill your sketch book?"

"Yes, and then some."

"You gonna show me?"

"Uh, I, uh..."

"Justin, I spent six hours standing around in a museum full of unruly children and tourists shoving cameras in my face begging me to take their picture. Now hand it over."

!!!!!

"Justin, this book is filled with, with me. I'm flattered but you were two hours with Monet and at least that with van Gogh. I don't get it."

"Bri, when I started to sketch, the paintings seemed cold, impersonal until I saw you looking at them. And you really listened to me when I explained about the artist and the technique he used. Look, here's the Monet. You had this peaceful, serene look in your eyes. You made it come alive for me. And here, the van Gogh. I could see you felt his pain, the turmoil even though Starry Night is so beautiful, you really saw the artist.  And there, Degas' bronze of the little ballerina. She looks so real. I saw your hand reach out to her. It's like when you reach out to pick up Gus, that same soft look in your eyes. And this one, the Picasso..."

"I'm sorry Justin, I don't really relate to Picasso."

"No sorry necessary, I knew you wouldn't like it. See, I tried to capture that mild look of disgust in your eyes."

"The painting isn't disgusting."

"I know that, it's just not your style. But the look on your face was priceless, cute even."

"I don't do cute."

"Sure you don't."

"Jus, how did you know I wouldn't like Picasso?"

"Brian, you're a paradox. Born in modern times, business brilliant, computer savvy, one of the most intelligent people I've ever known, and yet, if you were around in the time of Monet, you'd fit. You're a classic, just like those paintings. The Mr. Darcy of our time."

"Is that how you see me?"

"Yes. Your loft, your suits, classical, never goes out of style."

"So, you're saying I'm old fashioned."

"Stop it, Bri. That's not what I'm saying and you know it. Take the fucking compliment. You know exactly what I mean. You fit in everywhere at any time.  I saw that way the museum visitors were looking at you while you were admiring the exhibits. You never see the effect you have on people. One day I'm going to have a painting of you hanging in a museum."

"Oh yeah, probably Ripley's Believe It or Not museum. I'm a real work of art. I was watching you too, Sunshine. You lit up the place. So beautiful, your eyes caught every detail, your fingers were flying all over the page. Your sweet tongue slipping between your lips as you were concentrating. Those hot museum guides noticed too. They couldn't take their eyes off of you. I think you were the most beautiful exhibit there. Oh shit, I sound like a lesbian again. You ready for dessert?"

"Want to split an apple strudel?"

"Yeah, let's go for broke. We can walk it off later."

~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~    ~~~~ ~~~~

"I can't eat another bite."

"That's a first."

"Fuck. You."

"Maybe later."

"Bri, how did you find this place?"

"A client gave my their card, said it was the best place for authentic German cuisine and it's ..."

"Fag friendly?"

"Yup."

"Well, it's perfect and the walls are covered in art work too."

"The owner's uncle is an artist and an art professor in Baltimore."

"Wow."

"Yeah. Come on, Sunshine, let's get out of here before you find something else to eat. I'm ready to explode."

"Where do you want to go?"

Anywhere. This is the Village, our part of the city. Tomorrow, Central Park; I hear they have a bear or two."

"Oh Brian."

"Let's go, Sunshine, I feel like struttin' with my baby."

"Love you Bri."

"Love you too, baby."