- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here’s the weekly update again for the story. 

 

I am awed, in shock, and blown away by the support I have been receiving and I thank each and everyone of you guys. :) 

massive thanks to my beta trueillusion for once again getting my through this. You have been an absolute legend. 

Brian felt helpless. He hated -- absolutely hated -- feeling helpless. He was still sitting on those uncomfortable-as-fuck chairs in the corridor with Jennifer and Mikey after his… epiphany, he guessed you could call it. He had drunk the coffee that Mikey had handed him and excused himself to use the bathroom. While he was in there he took a minute and wet his face.


“You can do this,” he told himself in the mirror. He was officially losing the plot. But then again, going on 27 hours without a decent sleep would do that to you. Of course, he didn’t include the hour of broken sleep he got last night. “Fuck,” he mumbled to himself.


Walking out he saw the doctor from last night standing at Justin’s door. Ah, yes. The tests. Fuck.


“Good morning Brian, how are you holding up?” The doctor asked gently. Brian just shrugged. How the fuck was he supposed to answer that? The love of his fucking life was laying in the bed in the room behind him, fighting for his fucking life. “I understand. I was just coming up to prep Justin for the scans,” he explained.


Brian nodded. He thought as much. “Ah doc, this is Jennifer Taylor, Justin’s mother. Jennifer, this is the doc.” Brian introduced the two to each other. He figured at least that way the doc could explain shit to Jennifer. At least he wasn’t dealing with all this fucking shit by himself. He watched as they both nodded at each other. “Is there some way to get it documented or whatever the fuck it is you guys do, so that she can be given any information as well in case I’m not available or some fucking shit?” Brian asked.


“Of course. Mrs. Taylor. Call me Neil, please. I’ll get onto that as soon as we come back, Brian.”


‘So that’s his name,’ Brian thought to himself. It’s funny how after nearly 12 hours he was only just learning his name. Wait.


“Not to be rude doc, but why the fuck are you still here? You were here when we were brought in last night and your still fucking here. What’s the deal?” Brian asked as he realised what time it was.


“I am actually staying in what I guess you could call the dorm rooms. I was just transferred here from Kaiser Permanente San Jose Hospital and haven’t yet had a chance to settle in. Plus, it’s convenient for cases like Justin’s, in case...” the doctor trailed off but Jennifer, Mikey and Brian knew how that sentence would have ended. Brian shook his head -- dislodging the thought -- and nodded, showing that he did indeed understand.


The door to Justin’s room opened and he heard Jennifer gasp next to him. It was the first time she had seen Justin, wires and monitors and all. He couldn’t help but stare at his Sunshine. He felt, rather than saw Mikey’s hand grab his in silent support. He promised when all this fucking shit was done, he was going to buy Mikey whatever the fuck it was he wanted. He owed him a fucking truckload for this, and money was no object of thanks.


He watched, still silent, as four nurses pushed Justin’s bed into the corridor. He heard Jennifer’s sobs and felt Mikey squeezing his hand. He gave a squeeze back and let go as he walked over to the side of the bed. When Brian had moved, Mikey took a step closer to Jennifer and placed his hand on her back in support. Brian surprised everyone watching as he bent down and placed a kiss on Justin’s forehead.


“I love you, Sunshine,” he whispered, shocking Jennifer and Mickey. “I’ll still be here when you get back.” Mikey smiled a small smile to himself. He had hit the nail right on the head last night. Brian Kinney was in love.


“The tests will take about an hour and a half to do. Why don’t you go and grab a shower and a change of clothes? There’s not much you can do until he comes back, and even then...” the doctor offered gently. Brian started to shake his head. “Brian, I promise I’ll contact you if anything happens. But I understand that you don’t want to leave. Is there anyone that can bring you up a change of clothes? There’s a shower in Justin’s room that you can take advantage of. That way, you don’t have to leave and you’re still on the premises.”


Mikey had his phone out before the Neil had even finished his sentence, shooting a text to Ted asking him to bring up some clothes for Brian. He was the only one in the group who he was confident wouldn’t make a big scene of it all. His phone buzzed not even a minute later, with Ted saying he was on his way.


“Ted’s heading over to your loft to get you a change of clothes, Brian. Is there anything else you want him to grab while he’s there?” Mikey asked quietly, but loud enough for him to hear. Brian shook his head, again thankful for Mikey.


“Not that I can think of. But Uhm...” He rubbed the back of his neck. “You know.” Mikey smiled. He did know. Brian never said thank you but Mikey knew what he meant. He sent off another text to Ted.


“It won’t take long, Brian. Have a shower, freshen up and try and have a rest. We don’t want you ending up in here as well,” Neil mentioned. “He’ll be back before you know it.”


The three of them stood in the corridor outside the door to Justin’s room and watched as they wheeled Justin down it. Mikey grabbed Brian’s hand in one and Jennifer’s in the other. He glanced over as he saw a tear roll it’s way down Brian’s cheek but chose to stay silent. He knew no matter what he said, there weren’t any words to make it better.


 


 


An hour later found Brian dozing in the chair that the nurse had brought in last night. He had already had a shower and gotten changed into the sweats and shirt that Ted had grabbed from the loft. He was thankful for Ted at least having the common sense to grab something practical, not a suit. He also brought along four other changes of clothes for the days coming. Brian knew he wasn’t going to leave until Sunshine had woken up. And apparently, so did everyone else.


He was worried sick about what was happening now, and what would happen next. Once they got the results back, he wasn’t sure where they were going to go. Would they keep in a coma? Would they wake him? Would they operate? Brian was so unsure, and it was a feeling he didn’t like. A feeling he wasn’t used to. But Justin had that effect on him. Bringing out feelings he wasn’t used to. Fear, worry, being scared, crying, love. And that was the kicker wasn’t it?


Brian knew deep down though, that no matter what, he wasn’t going anywhere. He wouldn’t. Fuck. He couldn’t. He was in this for the long haul now. It hurt to even think of life without Justin. So, he didn’t.


He broke down in the shower, where no one could see his tears. Where he was safe in as far as everyone else still thought he was strong. Because he had to be for Jennifer. Not that she had said anything since Justin got wheeled down the corridor. He couldn’t blame her, really. What the fuck do you say under the circumstances? He didn’t even know.


He startled awake -- or out of his stupor at least -- to the door opening. He sighed with relief when he saw the top of Justin’s head. Thank fuck. Neil followed the nurses and the bed. He smiled gently at Brian. He held the door open, and Jennifer followed slowly and cautiously, as if unsure if she was welcome. Which was stupid because Justin was her son. If Brian had to leave to give Jennifer time with him he would.


“We’ll get the results soon.” Neil explained. “I’ve told the nurses to allow both of you in the room with him, and to page me as soon as the results come in so we can come up with a care plan.”


Brian nodded. He guessed the doc was going to finally go and get some rest. It had been nearly 15 hours now, and god only knew what time he started his shift before they came in last night.


“Thank you. For everything.” Jennifer felt thankful for everything the doctor had done. From originally saving her son’s life, to being so understanding. Making sure that everything was done before they could even ask. Brian stuck his hand out to shake the doc’s. Neil smiled slightly and shook it, understanding that that was Brian’s way of thanking him.


“I’m off to get some rest. I’ll come back as soon as we get the results.”


Brian nodded again. He wasn’t sure what to say. Neil looked over once more at Justin and turned and left the room.


Once the nurses had set up Justin’s bed in the right position, Brian was once again next to it holding his hand. Again, he needed the reassurance that only Justin’s hand could give at the moment. Until he was able to see his eyes and his sunshine smile, it was all he had.


The two of them sat in silence for god only knows how long until Jennifer spoke so softly Brian almost missed it.


“You meant what you said in the hallway, didn’t you?” Jennifer asked, needing to know. Brian sucked his lips in between his teeth. He hated heart-to-heart talks, but he understood. He understood that Jennifer needed to break the deafening silence and needed to know that he was serious about loving Justin.


“Yeah,” Brian answered, just as softly. “I did. I know I haven’t treated him, uh...” His hand came back up to run the back of his neck again. “Treated him the way you would want, but I promise you here and now, that that’s all going to change the minute Justin wakes up. I’ve already promised myself I’m going to tell him I love him when he wakes up. I want him, and only him sharing my life, sharing the loft, sharing everything.


“But it’s going to be hard, and I know that. I know it’s going to take some work. But if this has taught me absolutely anything, it’s that life is too short to fuck around. I don’t know how much or what Justin has told you, but I never had an easy life. My dad used to bash the fuck out of me whenever we disagreed, or whenever I took a breath. My mom loves God or what the fuck ever more than she ever loved me. My sister Claire was always the favorite. I could never do anything right. When I was 14, I met Mikey and suddenly I had people who cared. People who loved me. But it was already too late. Love was a foreign concept to me. It wasn’t until your son came along and brought, god help me, sunshine into my life that he proved everything I’ve ever known wrong. And for that, I owe him.”


Brian finished his lesbianicspeech, but that didn't mean that he didn’t mean every word that he just said. In his 30 years of living, he had never meant anything more.


“Treat him right Brian. That’s all I ask,” came Jennifer's reply. In that moment, she knew that Justin was in the right hands. No one would look after him like Brian would. “And I guess I should be saying welcome to the family.” Jennifer shot Brian a small smile. The look of shock of Brian’s face made her smile a little bigger.


 


 


Michael had called everyone to Deb’s house to explain what was happening, after convincing his mother and uncle Vic to go home, where he would tell everyone at once. Debbie was surprised he was there -- after all, he was supposed to be on a plane to Portland. And he was going, until Brian had called. All Brian had said was, sunshine, bat, and hospital. And Michael knew he had to be there. The words alone made Michael realise the seriousness of the situation, but it was compounded by the fact that Brian was crying. Michael had known Brian since they were 14 years old, but he had never seen him cry. Ever.


Michael didn’t know how his Ma found out, but he had to placate her for now. The last thing Brian needed was Debbie and the gang interfering. So he called Lindsay, Mel, Emmett, and Ted and told them they had to get to Debbie’s -- now.


On the drive home, he again promised his mom he would tell her and everyone else what he knew, but he was only going to say it once. Michael wasn’t sure how he was going to say it. After all, he was still in shock. But he had to do this. Not just for Brian, but for Justin.


That fucking kid had been through so much already, and now he had this next fucking battle to fight. But he silently vowed to both Brian and Justin that he would make sure they had the gang’s support.


Once they had pulled up at Debbie’s house, they saw everyone sitting out front, a clear indication that they knew something was wrong.


Letting everyone into the livingroom, Michael told them all to sit down and not ask questions yet. Once everyone was seated, he took a deep breath and started explaining.


“Ma, Vic and I have just come back from the hospital,” he started. Everyone looked at the three of them with concerned looked on their faces. “It wasn’t for any of us, but Justin is there,” Michael explained.


It was then that everyone realised Brian was missing. Ted already knew they were at the hospital because he had to take the clothes up for Brian, but he didn’t know why they were at the hospital. He hadn’t seen Brian anywhere either, so he was even more clueless.


“What’s wrong with baby?” Emmett asked fearfully. He loved Justin like a little brother, and Emmett could confidently say that he would do absolutely anything for Justin.


“I’m getting there,” Michael placated him. “Please guys, just let me say this and then I’ll answer any question you have if I can. I only know limited information, but I don’t want you to run and call Brian.”


“So, Brian surprised Justin at his prom tonight.” Lindsay, Mel and Ted looked surprised. Emmett and Vic smiled. They both knew how much Justin meant to Brian.


“It went well, from what I’ve heard, until they went to the Jeep. As Justin walked away to tell Daphne he was leaving, he was attacked with a bat.” Emmett gasped, covered his mouth and cried. Lindsay shook her head in disbelief. Mel grabbed Lindsay’s hand in support while crying tears that wouldn’t stop. Vic grabbed Debbie in a hug. Ted was in shock. Debbie’s reaction was the worst -- great big, heaving sobs fillingthe livingroom. Michael put his hand up to stop the questions they all had.


“I haven’t finished yet. Please, just...” Michael took a deep breath. “Just wait. There’s more. But I need you all to promise me not to run straight to the hospital.”


“What more could there possibly be?” Emmett cried. He wanted to be with Justin, but knew he had to wait and see what else was said.


“Please, just promise me. There isn’t much anyone can do at the moment anyway. Justin is in a coma, and Brian’s not going to leave his bedside. The Boy Wonder is here to stay, because Brian loves him.”


One by one the gang all nodded.


“They had to operate to stop the pressure of the bleeding on the brain.” There were more sobs from Debbie, but Michael had to go on, otherwise he was going to break. He already had tears running down his cheeks. “When they opened his skull, they found a mass. They did a biopsy and it came back positive, but they are doing more tests. Justin has brain cancer.”


It wasn’t until now the severity of the situation hit Michael. And that’s when he broke.


Emmett went into shock, he was struggling to breath, couldn’t see straight for all the tears, for his baby, for everything that poor fucking kid was going to have to go through, and Ted grabbed him in a hug. Mel and Lindsay held each other, not knowing what to say or what to do. Vic was crying, but he knew he had to be strong for Debbie, who was currently in his arms, sobbing her heart out. It wasn’t until he looked over at Michael and saw him crying that he realised this was real. He gently turned Debbie over to Michael, because they needed each other.


Vic stood quietly once Debbie and Michael were in each other arms and walked into the kitchen to get everyone a drink. God only knew they needed it. He looked back in the room and saw the upset gang. He just hoped they were strong enough to get through this.


Vic hoped Brian and Justin were strong enough -- not just individually, but together -- to get through this. Because that kid who had waltzed into their lives, was going to need it.

Chapter End Notes:

Review, share, let me know what you think, feel free to follow me on twitter as well at @only4fandoms :)