- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Find out what David has to tell Brian, how the family reacts and then there's some surprises for the good doctor :)

Author's Chapter Notes:

Find out what David has to tell Brian, how the family reacts and then there's some surprises for the good doctor :)

Brian was looking at the man who claimed to be David Cameron. He didn’t look like the good Dr. at all but the voice convinced the ad genius. Cameron had a voice that Brian could never really forget. He wondered what the chiropracteur wanted, what he thought he had heard that could be a threat to Justin’s life. Brian was all ears, determined to get to the bottom of this rather odd meeting.

 

“Very well, David. Did you decide to join the plastic-look-fanclub or why is your face so plastic-like these days?” Brian asked, kind of teasing, kind of annoyed.

 

Cameron looked at Brian, a man he had never really liked and thought of as the enemy. All those years, he had been convinced that the brunette’s claim over Michael was the reason their relationship failed. And the way the ad exec had just sneered his name made him feel uncomfortable and defensive at the same time. He took a deep breathe before he explained the last months of his life to Brian and the family. He was met by looks of pity, sympathy, horror and… understanding? The blonde man who hadn’t been a part of the family looked at him with understanding.

 

“I’m sorry to hear you’ve had the hardest of times lately. Which is why I respect your decision to look for Brian and I even more. I’m Justin Taylor-Kinney, Brian’s husband.” Justin introduced himself.

 

“Taylor? Justin Taylor? The artist?” David asked, shocked. At Justin’s nod he continued, “Wow, Brian you’re lucky. Your husband’s a world wide celebrated artist. I have… well, I had one of your early pieces. Your art is very inspiring unlike most other artists’ pieces.” Yes, David was a little fangirling but he was proud of it. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. And it makes my coming here even more important.” He added with a sigh.

 

“Before we come to that.” Debbie interrupted. “This great man here is Ben Bruckner, Michael’s husband. Well, still. He’s working on changing that.” Debbie said with a proud smile in Ben’s direction. She loved her son dearly and there was a time when she wasn’t happy about the two dating but she had seen how much Ben loved her son but only got heartache, betrayal and hurt from his supposed loving husband in return.

 

“And this is Hunter, Ben and Michael adopted him and he’s my oldest grandchild. There’s also Gus and Jenny, my other grandchildren but they’re upstairs playing in my fantasy room with paints and stuff. You know Emmett, but I bet you hadn’t met his lover Drew Boyd yet.” Debbie introduced the famous sportsman.

 

“Ah yes, you did look familiar but I didn’t have much time to focus on my previous job and sports as I used to. It’s nice to meet you.” David said politely.

 

Drew shook the man’s hand and looked back at Debbie. He nodded for her to continue.

 

“And this lovely man here is Blake, he’s Ted’s partner.” Debbie said but Blake interrupted her happily.

 

“Actually Deb, I’m not just his partner anymore. Last night, he proposed and I said yes.” The blond-ish man said with a huge grin. “We’re so happy.”

 

The gang got up to congratulate the happy couple and David waited with a smile, truly happy for Ted and his partner.

 

“Congratulations. I never got to know Ted that well when I was with Michael but I always thought he was a good man. I’m happy for both of you. And it’s a pleasure to meet you, Blake.” David said with a smile.

 

“And I’m Carl. I’m Debbie’s fiancé.” Carl got up to shake the man’s hand.

 

“Oh shit, Carl baby I’m sorry.” Debbie blushed. In her curiosity to get to the point of David’s visit, she wanted to do the introductions so fast that she forgot her man.

 

Everyone shared a laugh at Debbie’s blush. It was Carl who spoke first. “I’m a detective here in Pittsburgh and you said something about a threat to Justin?” He urged the guest to explain.

 

“Yes, I did. As I explained, I had a scheduled appointment with one of my doctors a couple of days ago to get rid of the bandage that covered my face for weeks. Before that appointment, I had a coffee in a small café and Michael and Lindsay were there, too. They, of course, didn’t recognize me at all although they did look into my direction and snickered. Anyways, Michael was really upset about someone stealing his husband. I didn’t know about you, Ben. I was actually happy for Michael at first. But then Lindsay started talking about Brian and I honestly could not see Brian and Michael as a couple or married. So I kept on listening to their conversation and after some verbal bashing of the husband stealer, Lindsay said that she can’t believe how Brian could get married to some whore without talking to her first. Or to Michael and that’s when I realized that Brian had married someone else, not Michael. They kept on babbling nonsense until Michael asked if Lindsay knew someone who would beat up people for good money. Lindsay said no but she had ways to get in touch with someone. I was shocked, honestly. She made some calls to people and then they had a name, Cody Bell. They got his number and tried to call him but the guy didn’t pick up obviously.” David was still talking about what he had heard when Justin’s laugh interrupted him.

 

“Justin, what the fuck is wrong with you? How can you laugh about what they have planned?” Brian asked outraged. He was mad, pissed off and just wanted to lash out at his former friends.

 

“Oh come on Bri. I know it’s been a while but don’t you remember my dad telling you about someone in our family working for the FBI? Cody Bell is my cousin. He pretends to be a hit man and then later is arresting the people that hire him.” Justin said with a wicked gleam in his eyes.

 

“Oh.” Was all Brian could mutter before he, too smiled wickedly.

 

“So I didn’t have to worry?” David asked, confused.

 

“Not really, no. But you couldn’t have known about Cody. And I think I know why Daphne delayed her arrival. She and Cody are friends and I think he called her. She wrote a quick message to me that she’d come later.” Justin said.

 

“Still, it is a real threat and I will get in touch with the FBI myself and report it.” Carl said sternly. He couldn’t believe that the son of his fiancée would be so stupid and full of jealousy to go those lengths.

 

“You have to.” Debbie said sadly.

 

“Oh Debbie.” Justin said before he got up to hug the crying waitress. The blonde wished, for the sake of Brian and Debbie, that this wasn’t happening.

 

“He’s my son. My baby and he knows how it feels to be bullied and beaten, he went through that in school before he met Brian so how could he inflict such pain on another person? I’m so ashamed and disappointed. And it hurts so fucking much.” The red head sobbed.

 

David looked at his entire relationship with Michael with a different point of view. Debbie wanted Michael to be happy with David. She wanted for Michael to mature and stop living in his fantasy. He could feel her pain. He couldn’t imagine his own son ever being in a similar situation. He vowed to raise Hank to be fair and honest.

 

Brian turned to look at David.. It was easy to notice how uncomfortable the doctor was, not just by being here but also with himself. He remembered David as a proud man so for him to admit his mistakes and being in the situation he found himself in must have hurt his ego and pride a lot. Yet, there he was. Brave enough to look for people, who could very well make fun of him, to warn them. It was an act of courage and Brian appreciated it.

 

“David, where are you staying with your son now?” Brian asked and was met by a confused looking David.

 

“We’re in a small apartment. At the moment it’s all I can afford but I hope that without the bandage covering all of my head I’ll be able to find a job to support the both of us.” The doctor explained.

 

“What kind of job?” Brian wondered.

 

“I’ll try to get a job as a chiropracteur again in some medical center here in Pittsburgh. Hanks doesn’t want to go back to Portland. It reminds him too much of his mom and… yeah.” David murmured.

 

“You don’t want to start your own practice again?” Ted asked, wondering.

 

“I wouldn’t get a credit from the bank and I couldn’t afford to buy a place to set it up.” David explained with a sigh. “But that’s okay. If it was only me I might be willing to take a risk but having Hank full time now, I can’t take any risks. I need a stable job and income to offer him a good life.”

 

“Well, David…” Brian said. “How about, you come up with a business plan and Ted and I’ll see if we can help you setting up your own practice again? I think with good advertising and someone famous to be around, it might be easier for you.” Brian explained looking at Drew.

 

The football player nodded in agreement. If he can help someone, he will. The rest of the gang offered their help as well.

 

“Until you find a place for yourself, I could ask if you could use a room in my center and help the recovering addicts with therapy?” Blake offered.

 

David’s eyes shone with unshed tears. The kindness he was met with touched him deeply and he agreed, vowing to make them proud and work as hard as possible. Carl promised to check in with the FBI about the threats against Justin while the blonde told everyone not to worry. Cody was family and wouldn’t hurt him.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you enjoy the chapter. Already working on the next ones.

Sandy xoxo

PS: Big hug to my beta loahisi.

The End.
SandyGale is the author of 15 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Consequences - An Act of Kindness also liked 683 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Consequences. The previous story in the series is Consequences - Confrontations & Honesty. The next story in the series is Consequences - Laughter and Joy.