- Text Size +

Brian was sitting in his office with Max after they returned from the group home. He planned to make sure Max knew his office was always open for him. Gus had grown up understanding that there was never a time he couldn’t come to Brian and it was a tradition he would continue with Max. Justin came in with Hunter and Jen after he’d seen everyone out and checked on the rooms Billy and Colton would be using. 

 

“Hunter wanted to talk to us,” Justin told Brian as they all entered.

 

“I just wanted to talk to you both later. And I want let you know I’m available if I can help with anything concerning Max,” Jen told him, sitting down.

 

“Grown-up stuff?” Max asked Brian.

 

“It’s about how to help you,” Hunter answered.

 

“Max stuff,” Brian answered, smiling as Max nodded.

 

“What were you thinking?” Justin asked Hunter.

 

“I’m going to see if Lindsay would allow me to come to class and volunteer, that way I can help Max with her curriculum. What we do outside of school will be geared more towards shoring up problems that occurred from not preparing him for school. I don’t want what we do to clash with what Lindsay needs, but I also want Max to have fun with learning. I don’t want him feeling like he’s just moving from the classroom at school to one at home.” Hunter tells them.

 

“I’ve been looking up educational toys and programs that should help,” Justin tells Hunter.

 

“Of course you have,” Brian smirks.

 

“We can discuss them and decide which ones would help Max,” Justin tells Hunter, ignoring Brian.

 

“I can start Monday if Lindsay gives me the go ahead,” Hunter told them.

 

“I call and talk to her about it,” Justin tells him.

 

 “Thanks. And I need to get going, I have a night class I’m helping with. Tell Emmett and Drew to call me about Billy and Colton.” Hunter tells Brian, getting up.

 

“You already asked Hunter about that?” Justin asked after Hunter left.

 

Gus came in to see if Max wanted to watch a movie, and whispered in Brian’s ear that Jen found out about what Michael said to him. Brian told him not to worry, as he took Max with him.

 

“I wanted to make sure they had help if they need it. But I have a feeling Billy would do better with you,” Brian answered Justin.

 

“Why?” Justin asks.

 

“I talked to Sabrina about any problems in school for either of the boys, since Hunter was already going to help with Max. I wanted to make sure they got help too. From what she told me, Colton’s grades were average until Billy came in his life and started helping him. Colton still struggles with some subjects but his grades are C’s or better. Billy on the other hand, has his teachers baffled about what to do with him.” Brian tells him.

 

“In what way?” Jen asked, interested.

 

“Billy barely pays attention but aces all his classes. If he’s called on can answer anything they ask but rarely participates. With so many other students Billy gets lost in the crowd since he’s been in a few schools throughout his life. They tried to test his IQ, and the results are where the baffling part comes in, he scored in the normal range.” Brian tells her.

 

“Some people don’t test well,” Jen suggests.

 

“Or he doesn’t want to feel any different than he already is,” Justin said, thinking about his life.

 

“Did it make you feel different?” Jen asked Justin.

 

“If I’d been in public school it probably would have. With St James, we were pushed to excel in academics, and it was the one area that I did fit in.” Justin tells her.

 

“Billy needs that type of environment. But I think he’s worried it would separate him and Colton if he shined,” Brian tells him.

 

“Do Emmett or Drew know?” Justin asks.

 

“Emmett and I talked about it, and he wants to look into a school for both the boys. It would be easier on the boys with all the changes they already have if they’re not separated in different schools. And Emmett wants them to have the kind of advantages you did. We’ve seen what it was like for Hunter when Ben and Michael put him in public school. Emmett wanted to talk to you and Jen about the area private schools for both the boys.” Brian tells them.

 

“It won’t be St James. Not after…” Jen looked over to Justin.

 

“I agree with you,” Brian tells her.

 

“What about Gus’s school? It would also give them Gus to help them,” Justin suggests.

 

“We can take Emmett and Drew there with us. If they agree, then we’ll get them registered there.” Brian tells him.

 

“Can we change the subject?” Jen asked.

 

“To Michael?” Brian asks her.

 

“Yes. But only to say I’ll stay out of it unless Max, Billy, or Colton are upset because Michael says anything to upset them. I was surprised at his reaction, more than I should have been.” Jen tells them.

 

“I’ve found it better to not let him feel like what he says changes what Justin and I do,” Brian tells her.

 

“He’s likely more upset that he was the last one we really told. Hunter, Jenny, and Ben all knew before he did.” Justin tells him.

 

“He seems to think anything Brian does for you is wrong.” Jen mumbles.

 

“Hopefully he’ll finally get that what I do for and with Justin isn’t anyone’s business,” Brian tells her.

 

“Have you told Daphne yet?” Jen asked.

 

“She and Brice are doing a phone free vacation. She’ll be happy about it, since she knew it was something Brian and I wanted eventually.” Justin tells her, not really worried about it.

 

“If you need my help, call me. What you two are doing for those boys is a big thing, and not just for Emmett and Drew.” Jen tells them.

 

“I spoke candidly with Sabrina about the situation, and as long as she’s informed when Drew and Emmett have the boys, Justin and I can allow Drew and Emmett to have them anytime,” Brian tells her.

 

“It also gives them time to understand not everything is going to be easy for them either,” Justin tells her.

 

“What we did will allow them to spend time with the kids while they attend classes and counseling.” Brian tells them.

 

“So you found the loophole.” Jen smiles.

 

“They are still our responsibility until Emmett and Drew can be approved,” Justin told her.

 

“Yes, but you made it so the boys have a family instead of strangers around them. Which means Deb and I want to help.” Jen tells them.

 

“She did so well earlier.” Brian jokes.

 

“I’ll make sure she understands to check with you guys before she says anything. I’ll also suggest she gets a dog.” Jen tells Brian, getting up kissing each one before walking out.

 

“Michael is never going to hear the end of that one,” Justin says, getting up and going to Brian.

 

“It didn’t upset you?” Brian asks, pulling Justin down on his lap.

 

“I wanted a kitten.” Justin jokes, before being serious. “It didn’t bother me the way it would have years ago. We’re no longer that couple we were. I think he and Ben are having problems though.”

 

“It’s something they need to deal with. We have a life of our own. Do me a favor keep the cat out of my closet.” Brian tells him, kissing him.

 

“Daddy and Pa, can you watch the movie with us?” Max asks them, followed by Gus who laughed when Brian sighed but got up.

 

Drew and Billy both took off to go look at sports stores after Billy told Emmett what he liked. He noticed people staring at Drew but when they were in the clothing section no one approached them. In the Nike store, it was totally different. People started coming up and talking to Drew like they were best friends. Drew kept Billy near him, while he signed autographs and took pictures.

 

“It must be cool to get to hang out with him.” One kid said to Billy, as Drew signed his hat.

 

“I hope my son never gets bored with me,” Drew told the kid, as if it wasn’t a big deal.

 

“You going to play ball like your father?” An older guy asked.

 

Billy loved football but he really wasn’t built for it. He almost said yes because he didn’t want to embarrass Drew.

 

“Whatever my son decides to do will make me proud of him,” Drew told him, excusing them when Emmett waved that they were ready.

 

“I like that,” Billy told him.

 

“I don’t care what you do when you grow up,” Drew told him, not wanting him ever feel pressured by him.

 

“I meant that you called me your son,” Billy told him.

 

“I’m starting out the way I see our lives heading.” Drew told him.

 

“I’m starting to believe again,” Billy told him, letting Drew hug him.

 

Ben didn’t let Michael’s mood affect his happiness as Jenny came off the plane. As far as Ben was concerned, Jenny was going to have the time of her life with them. She’d never been to England and had sent him requests as to what they were going to do. Michael finally smiled and ran to Jenny, letting go of the cloud hanging over his head at seeing her. 

 

“So I heard about the kid,” Michael says off handedly to Jenny.

 

“Max. Yeah, he’s great. I’m really glad for Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin. Gus already has Max ganging up with him on me.” Jenny tells him, laughing.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about?” Michael asks as Ben breathes deeply, ready to stop Michael.

 

“Because we all know you think they have to wait for your go-ahead to do anything. Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin didn’t need to worry about you overreacting over Max. Which you do anytime Uncle Brian does things for Uncle Justin. Which I don’t get, since I know Daddy would do anything for you and I don’t see Uncle Brian telling you or Daddy how to run your lives. I mean, when you adopted Hunter, was Uncle Brian there telling you to get a dog instead?” Jenny asked giving him a Mel glare.

 

“I don’t think they have to run everything by me,” Michael told her weakly.

 

“Don’t you?” Ben commented, as Michael at least looked ashamed of himself to have to HEAR the truth from his eight-year-old daughter.