- Text Size +

Emmett, Gus, and Drew quietly entered Brian and Justin’s house. 

 

Gus had called last night, asking to come over with them in the morning, instead of going with his moms to some event with their friends. Lindsay and Mel had been organizing a festival with the GLC to get donations for events for the kids who came when their home life turned ugly. Emmett and Drew had already volunteered any help they needed along with an anonymous donation that Brian, Justin, Ted, and Blake agreed to. 

 

Mel asked to speak to Emmett after he told Gus he’d be by early to get him.

 

“Gus told us about Billy and Colton.” She told him.

 

“We would have told you, but you were busy,” Emmett told her.

 

“I wasn’t complaining about that, I just wanted to tell you both you're doing a great thing,” Mel assured him.

 

“I know we didn’t come to you, but it wasn’t because we doubted you,” Emmett told her.

 

“I didn’t think you did. And I understand wanting the best when it comes to your children. Gabriel would be who I’d want on my side, even though at one time I hated the asshole for what he did with Jenny. I can’t fault him for being as good as he is, and I really don’t want them to see me as anything but Auntie Mel.” Mel told him.

 

“Thank you for understanding,” Emmett told her.

 

“Lindsay and I will arrange some time to have everyone over after Jenny gets back.” Mel told him.

 

“How’s that going?” Emmett asked curiously.

 

“Jenny pretty much told Michael to get over himself, making me proud of her. Ben let me know they were all having a good time. But I get the feeling there's some tension between him and Michael. I tried to ask but Ben brushed it off.” Mel told him.

 

“Should I call?” Emmett asked.

 

“I think it might be better to let Ben call us if he needs us,” Mel told him, before saying goodbye and hanging up.

 

Drew had passed out on the bed, while Emmett was too keyed up to sleep. He called Ted when he couldn’t sleep, and smiled as Ted once again told him how lucky all of them would be to be a family. He’d been worried about calling late but Ted was up thinking himself and told Emmett about what he and Blake had talked about. Ted started to explain why he wanted to do it differently from the rest, but Emmett stopped him and told him the baby would be loved for being theirs. 

 

Drew and Emmett stopped at the doorway to the kitchen, both trying not to laugh at what they were seeing. Max and Colton were standing behind Billy as he rummaged through the cabinets, swearing to both of them he knew there were Oreos in there.

 

“I think I mentioned I’d be here to cook breakfast. Sorry we didn’t get here faster.” Emmett joked.

 

Billy and Colton both jumped, looking guilty. But Max was disappointed they hadn’t found the cookies they planned to snack on. 

 

“We just wanted a snack, and Billy said my dad had cookies,” Max told Emmett, wanting to make sure Billy and Colton didn’t get blamed when he’d dragged them to the kitchen after hearing his dad had cookies.

 

“Dad and Pa wouldn’t care, as long as everything gets cleaned up, Buddy,” Gus tells him, picking him up.

 

“How about some fruit while I start cooking?” Emmett asks them.

 

“Can I help?” Colton asked.

 

“If you want to. I’d be happy to have an assistant,” Emmett told him, hugging him, then Billy.

 

Max let go of Gus, wanting a hug too. Auntie Em took him and hugged him too, so Max held out his arms to Drew. Billy and Colton watched as Max just assumed everyone would do what he wanted, and they all did.  Drew picked up Max tickling him, as Billy relaxed after seeing Max laugh. All the worry left Billy’s face when no one was upset that they were in the kitchen.

 

“We could go play a game while they cook. Emmett made bowls of fruit drizzled with honey for everyone.” Gus told Max, Colton, and Billy.

 

“I wanted to help Emmett,” Colton told them.

 

“Emmett needs me to help him if he can’t find anything,” Max told them.

 

“You want to play?” Gus asked Billy.

 

“Sure. I’m not really that great at it though.” Billy tells him since he rarely played.

 

“Pa!” Max yelled as Justin walked in, getting coffee.

 

“Hey, I told you I’d take care of everything,” Emmett tells Justin, pouring cups of coffee.

 

“Brian never sleeps in and when have I ever refused food?” Justin teased, kissing Emmett’s cheek.

 

“Pa,” Max said, wanting attention.

 

“Yes, my Max.” Justin smiled, picking him up.

 

Max whispered in Justin’s ear. Justin listened, not sure why Max was so insistent about what he asked. But if Max wanted it Justin would do it. 

 

“Good morning Billy and Colton. Max wanted me to tell you something. Just like him, if you're hungry it’s okay to get what you want. You don’t have to ask.” Justin tells them.

 

“You gots to smile too,” Max whispered loudly, as everyone laughed and Justin managed to do what Max ordered him to do.

 

Billy took off with Gus after asking Colton again if he wanted to come. Colton waved him off, too busy watching as Emmett started making the batter for pancakes. Brian came in, grabbing a coffee before kissing Justin, and took Max with him to the table. Drew sat there thinking for a minute about the conversation, before asking Colton casually about it. 

 

“Can I help?” Colton asked Emmett.

 

“I’ll stir while you add the ingredients, how's that sound?” Emmett asked, and Colton looked like Emmett gave him the moon.   

 

“Colton, was that a problem before, getting snacks if you needed them?” Drew asked, not sure if he should have just said food.

 

“Some houses are like that,” Colton told him, concentrating on the pouring the milk in the measuring cup.

 

“Like what?” Drew asked him.

 

“The kitchen was off limits, and some of the people had rules about only eating at the right time,” Colton told him, getting the eggs when Emmett pointed at them.

 

“If you didn’t?” Emmett asked, being careful not to make Colton think anything was wrong.

 

“It didn’t matter, because Billy kept stuff for us if we needed it,” Colton told him, trying to crack an egg.

 

“Billy gave me snacks when I didn’t like the stuff they told us to eat. It’s why I asked him to help me find your cookies.” Max tells Brian.

 

“Since Dad finished them off, we can add it to the list with anything else we need,” Justin smirked as Brian hid behind the paper.

 

Colton realized Emmett looked upset. He tried to figure out what happened. Then worried he had talked too much, like before at other houses.

 

“You okay?” Justin asked him.

 

“Disney is starting to be hard not to want to do,” Emmett told him.

 

“What’s Disney?” Colton asked, wanting Emmett to be happy.

 

“The magical kingdom, to everyone but Uncle Brian,” Emmett told him, smiling as Brian groaned.

 

“Yet, he rode every ride Gus and I dragged him on, except Space Mountain. He turned green just looking at the roller coaster.” Justin teased.

 

“Maybe when you become my dads you can keep me from throwing up too. I hate roller coasters.” Colton told Emmett.

 

“Kid, your dads and brother can do it while we stay safely on the ground.” Brian told him.

 

“Cool,” Colton told Brian, as Emmett realized the past wasn’t as important as what they would all do for the kids.

 

***********************************************************

 

“I total suck at this,” Billy told Gus.

 

“I did too but Justin helped me learn,” Gus tells him.

 

“He likes to play?” Billy asked, trying not to get killed.

 

“He said it helps with his coordination and his painting,” Gus tells him.

 

“I guess it takes a lot to paint,” Billy commented.

 

“He got hurt a long time ago and he said playing games helped him. Dad told me Pa had to relearn how to use his hands afterward to do what he really wanted. Pa’s like wicked smart, and could have done anything else if he wanted to.” Gus tells him.

 

“Being smart doesn’t mean everything.” Billy tells him.

 

“Only if it limits what you want to do, something Pa never let anyone do,” Gus told him.

 

“What do you mean?” Billy asked curiously.

 

“When he was growing up his father wanted him to study business. He had already made plans for Pa. Like what he wanted was more important than what Pa wanted. It’s sort of like that for my mom too. Their parents thinking they had to do what was expected of them, not what they wanted. My mom’s parents didn’t like that my mom wanted to be with girls, and pushed men at her so she could have the typical family they expected, with a trophy son-in-law. Pa’s dad thinks my dad caused Pa to turn his back on everything he wanted for Pa. Only Pa tells it differently. He says that my dad gave him things he’d been waiting for all his life. Dad says he was up against a genius mastermind and decided not to fight when he didn’t really want to anyway. He constantly teases Pa about his SAT scores, but I think it’s because he loves Pa and Pa’s mind.” Gus tells him.

 

“People don’t always see it that way, being smart,” Billy tells him.

 

“Probably because they're jealous of it. I heard Emmett and Drew saying they were going to check out my school, since they think both you and Colton would like it.” Gus told him.

 

“Do you?” Billy asked.

 

“I like that no one says anything about my parents, and the teachers really want to help everyone. When we moved back here the moms put Jenny and me in public school, which wasn’t bad, but it was overcrowded. Then Dad put his foot down, saying he worked all his life to make sure I got the best and to swallow their pride because Jenny and I deserved more. Nana ended up explaining the advantages they were denying us when there was no reason we couldn’t have them. I think the fact that the principal didn’t blink an eye at the fact that Jenny and I both had gay parents won the day. I mean, not everyone has alternative parents at my school but all the parents understand bigotry won’t be tolerated and they can find another school if it’s a problem.” Gus tells him.

 

“Sounds like a rich kids school.” Billy tells him, amazed by hearing how the whole family worked.

 

“A lot of the kids are, but not all of them. My friend, Allen, who was here at the barbecue, is a scholarship student. Which doesn’t really matter to me, because he’s a good guy… You do realize when you and Colton are adopted, you two will be some of the rich kids too.” Gus teases.

 

“It’s not important to either of us. Having a family that wants us, that’s important.” Billy tells him.

 

Emmett stood there wondering how no one ever adopted Billy and then felt sorry for the idiots that overlooked his son. 

 

“If you two are hungry, you’d better hurry, Brian says Justin worked up quite the appetite this morning,” Emmett tells them.

 

“Pa could eat a horse.” Gus agreed, taking off.

 

Billy and Emmett followed, stopping at the doorway as everyone was filling plates. 

 

“I always thought it should be like this,” Billy told Emmett.

 

“Crazy people fighting over food?” Emmett teased.

 

“A family being happy to be together,” Billy told him.

 

“Then we’re lucky, because that’s our family,” Emmett tells him, as they joined the frenzy.