- Text Size +

Max wasn’t sure about Michael. It wasn’t because he wasn’t nice to him, it was just that he sat in the corner when Grandma Deb and everyone else was eating. Gus said Michael was pouting because no one asked him what was wrong. Max didn’t get what was wrong, when the rest of the family was having fun. Maybe it was because Jenny didn’t sit with him, the way the rest of them were with their parents. Max wondered if maybe Michael didn’t understand he was supposed to be happy because Max was now adopted, and so he asked his Pa about it. Dad got upset hearing it and told Max that Michael was jealous because Dad and Pa found him first, glaring at Michael.

 

Carl, by this point, was tired of Michael sitting there acting like everyone was wrong for being happy. While they all worried about what this meant to him and Ben, everyone stayed out of it. Michael didn’t get that they all had their own lives to live and no longer planned to let Michael’s drama affect their lives and children. Deb called Ben, not to yell but to make sure he was okay, only to find out Michael had left without even telling him. Ben told her the truth, not Michael’s version of what caused it all, and Carl had to stop Deb from wanting to slap Michael for running away. Instead she had planned a dinner to celebrate Brian and Justin’s adoption of Max, and followed her other boys lead by not getting involved. Normally Carl left it alone, but for once Michael needed to understand that if he couldn’t be here to show his support the way they all did for him, then he could go sit at home, while the rest of them celebrated the occasion. Carl got up, telling Michael he wanted to talk to him, which only had him looking around him, waiting for anyone to notice he was upset. Michael got up, and when no one even looked in his direction, walked out the door with Carl.

 

“Michael, today was about Max, not you. Why come here if all you planned to do was make Max’s day miserable?” Carl asked.

 

“I didn’t want to do that, but how am I supposed to feel when my life is falling apart and I have to watch them get everything I wanted. I’m sorry that I can’t pretend for everyone when I’m losing everything they once all made fun off.” Michael told him.

 

“Well if it bothers you so much why come today?” Carl asked.

 

“Since I’ve been home, they all seem to be too busy for me.” Michael told him.

 

“They were busy. They each have careers, children, and their partners that have to come first. Which means your problems are the least of their concerns.” Carl tells him.

 

“It doesn’t mean they can’t at least check to see if I’m okay.” Michael mumbles, as the door opens and Emmett comes outside.

 

“Hey Carl, Deb wants you inside.” Emmett told Carl, deciding to explain some things to Michael.

 

“Go home Michael, if you can’t show your friends support.” Carl told him, walking in the house, when he didn’t see the point in trying to talk to Michael.

 

“What?” Michael asked, when Emmett sat on the step, not saying anything.

 

“I’m here, tell me what the problem is, since you obviously aren’t planning to solve it for yourself.” Emmett told him.

 

“Why now, because you can’t avoid me now with excuses for how BUSY you all are?” Michael asked him.

 

“Now because you’re ruining my sons’ night and our family’s night. In case you don’t know, we have all been busy wanting to do everything to make sure Billy, Colton, and Max are settling into their new lives. Which means none of us have time to worry about a grown man who should be able to take care of himself. I didn’t call you because Drew and I are busy doing everything we can to have Billy and Colton live with us permanently before the adoption can be done.” Emmett told him.

 

“It doesn’t take that much to adopt a kid.” Michael told him.

 

“It does if you want to do it right. Which Drew and I do, after hearing how Justin and Brian did it. They’ve managed to make the transition for Max easier, and themselves stronger as a couple. Just like them, I want to make sure Drew and I are giving them parents they deserve.” Emmett told him.

 

“While forgetting we’re friends.” Michael told him.

 

“Like I said, I’m here talk.” Emmett told him.

 

“Shit, I don’t even know how Ben and I got to this point.” Michael told him, sitting down. “It’s like since the whole Paris thing I can’t do anything right in Ben’s eyes. He got mad because I didn’t jump up and down over all of you guys adopting kids, then got pissed when I suggested we do it too.” Michael told him.

 

“I didn’t think you and Ben planned to have more.” Emmett told him.

 

“We never really talked about it, but when he was still pissed at me, he told me he would have liked to have another kid, then acted like it was wrong because I suggested it.” Michael told him.

 

“Michael, there’s more to it.” Emmett told him.

 

“He made it sound like I only wanted to do it so we’d have kids in common.” Michael told him.

 

“He made it sound like it, or you pretty much spouted how it would give us something in common?” Emmett asked, as Colton came outside wanting to be with Emmett.

 

 

“Max wants to see and cut the cake.” Colton told him, pulling Emmett’s hand. “Come on Dad, I want to show everyone how we decorated it for Max.” Colton begged.

 

“Michael, remember the busy thing, well once again, I am.” Emmett said, leaping up to wrap Colton in a hug. 

 

“Um Dad... Cake in the house.” Colton told Emmett, when he was squeezing the life out of him.

 

“I know, but you just called me Dad.” Emmett told him.

 

“I just thought… it was time.” Colton said looking up at Emmett.

 

“Why? Not that I care, because it makes me happy.” Emmett told him.

 

“Max said he didn’t get why we called our daddies by their names. I mean I know you both were okay with what we used, but it’s stupid to deny what you and Daddy are to us.” Colton told him.

 

“If Billy still isn’t ready then that’s okay too.” Emmett told him, forgetting all about Michael.

 

Michael sat there feeling completely abandoned by everyone, turning when the door opened again a couple minutes later seeing Jenny and Max. Max was concentrating hard on not dropping the cake in his hand. Max wanted Michael to have some of his cake, and Jenny agreed to help him when Max insisted as everyone tried to talk him out of it.

 

“I brought you a big piece.” Max said, holding it out to Michael.

 

“Thanks. Sorry to be a party pooper.” Michael told Max.

 

“It’s okay, sometime you’s just sad. I know because I was sad a lot until my Pa found me.” Max told him.

 

“I’m glad you’re not sad anymore.” Michael told him.

 

“Why’s you sad?” Max asked.

 

“Because I don’t have the things I wanted.” Michael told him, not sure what to say to a five-year-old.

 

“That’s why I’m happy, all I wanted was someone who loved me. Maybe you should find someone like that.” Max told him, getting up and going inside to get his cake.

 

“Easier said than done.” Michael mumbled.

 

“I’m breaking one of my promises to Justin right now. But understand something- I’m not doing this for you, but so that my son doesn’t ever have to sit at another celebration with you acting like a shit.” Brian told him, sitting down.

 

“Sorry, I can’t change how I feel just because it would make everyone happy.” Michael told him.

 

“You can change anything you want, but YOU have to do it. If you expect us to help, then you might as well end it with Ben, because your partner should be the one you go to, not us.” Brian told him.

 

“I should still be able to talk to my best friend.” Michael told him.

 

“Sure you should, but Ben isn’t here.” Brian told him.

 

“What?” Michael asked.

 

“I’m not your best friend. The day I committed to Justin meant that our friendship changed. Because Justin is the person who means the most to me. If you don’t believe that, then think about the last few years and you’ll see that my life has revolved around him, not you or the rest of our friends. It took us going to therapy together when we decided to adopt for us to realize that we couldn’t have three people in our marriage if we wanted to have a family of our own. My friendship with you caused issues between Justin and I in the past, because instead of trusting him to love me and support me, I went to you. We didn’t blame you for our problems but saw where there were issues because we could be honest that we didn’t know how to talk to each other at the time. One thing we learned in therapy was that we can’t solve anything unless we do it together and to be honest with each other even if it’s not what either of us wants to hear.” Brian told him.

 

“What if Justin wanted to end the relationship?” Michael asked.

 

“I wouldn’t be a country away from him. Instead I’d fight for him the way he fought for me. I’d find out what the real problem was and work at solving it, because losing Justin isn’t an option for me. I know you seem to think the only reason I do anything is because Justin wants it, but you always forget something; you’re the one who told me I wouldn’t do something if I didn’t want to do it. I married Justin because WE wanted it, we made it work between us while he was in New York because WE both wanted it. We adopted Max because WE wanted him. Everything Justin and I do is because it’s what WE want. We work through everything together because it’s what WE want. It’s time for you to think about what you and Ben both want versus what you do, because you both need to figure out if you want it together. Now... I’m going to make sure my sons are enjoying that fact that we are now the family we wanted to be. Then I’m going to make sure Billy and Colton have what my sons do, because that’s what makes our families happy.” Brian told him, getting up before heading back inside.

 

“He thinks our problems are because of you.” Michael told him.

 

“Then you aren’t hearing him, because I left your marriage the day I married Justin.” Brian told him, going in.

 

Brian opened the door to find Max standing there waiting for him. “Maybe Pa could give him his sun smile.” Max told Brian.

 

“Pa saves them for you, and people who deserve them.” Brian told Max, picking him up.

 

Justin turned to smile at Brian and Max. Max was happy that he and Daddy deserved them.