- Text Size +

Ben wasn’t sure if he had done the right thing when he agreed to leave Michael behind and go with everyone else to Florida. The only reason he agreed was that nothing else was working to get Michael to see that all he was doing was alienating everyone. Michael didn’t seem to understand that Ben would have agreed to another child if he’d been asking because, like his friends, they all wanted children for the right reasons. It was also because Ben could no longer go on trying to be happy with what little Michael was willing to do to make their relationship work. 

 

Jenny’s emotional well being was what decided it all. Ben came home to find his daughter worried about things that had nothing to do with her. Ben never wanted Jenny to take on the burden he married. He knew no one understood why he kept trying with Michael, but love was strange like that. Ben could have moved on from Michael and saved himself from the headache the man was to everyone in his life, but there were also good parts that kept Ben from letting go. Not that he could actually name them right now, but he had a week before he would see Michael again, and his only plan was to make sure his daughter was happy. 

 

A sweaty Brian laid next to Justin since the mom patrol took the kids out for the day while the blond made up for forcing Disney on him again. Justin was smirking when Brian fell next to him. Which made Brian want to wipe that smirk off until Justin was in a sexual coma. Brian sort of felt bad for not taking Max out on his first day in the magic kingdom, but Molly let him know throughout the day that Max seemed to be having a great time with her daughters. Needing a drink Brian got up, followed by an always hungry Justin getting up to raid the refrigerator. While Justin did that Brian checked again with Molly, who sent pictures of Max smiling while sitting on Gus’ shoulders. Brian already made plans for everyone to eat together and then watch the fireworks later that night. He agreed to let Emmett and Drew have a day alone tomorrow while he braved hell with Justin and family.

 

Brian ignored the phone calls from Michael, who was actually pissed at Brian for including Ben and not him. Brian wasn’t going to help Michael this time, any more than he’d already tried. Michael couldn’t seem to understand the relationships that Brian, Ted, and Emmett had with their partners. Likely because he didn’t want to believe said partners meant more than a friendship that changed as each of them fell in love with men who understood them. Michael, on the other hand, seemed to want to believe the only reason any of them did anything with their partners was a mystery. Of course, Michael believed that Brian was incapable of commitment, love, or anything else except being the Stud of Liberty Avenue. Brian wasn’t incapable, he just hadn’t found anyone worth giving it all up for, until a blond stood under the streetlight and didn’t let Brian walk away from what said blond could give him. 

 

“We should go and check on Max,” Brian told him, willing to forgo round three for his son.

 

“That means we spend today and tomorrow in the park,” Justin warned, wanting to see Max and Gus having fun.

 

“Then tonight you have to make up for the nightmare that is Disney over and over again,” Brian told him before dragging them to get dressed before heading out to find their family.

 

Emmett was ready to sit down on something that didn’t hurl him side to side or up and down. Of course, he kept on going because Billy, Colton, and Gus were having fun. It was the only thing that kept Emmett from begging for a cosmo after each ride. Drew was busy taking pictures of Emmett hamming it up for the kids while looking forward to their day alone tomorrow. Even though he knew that just like Brian and Justin, they’d end up showing up to watch the kids anyway. Drew smiled as Max came skipping along with his fathers, and suggested they all go get something to eat since the kids were excited and forgot food in it all. Drew decided to go check on Ben when Lindsay let him know Ben took a break from the heat, returning to the hotel. He knew Brian and Justin were worried about Ben, but in keeping to their agreement about not getting involved, were only willing to support Ben, but not get involved in the mess Michael was making with his own life. While Drew wasn’t sure if Michael was worth everything Ben put up with, that was up to Ben. Drew just knew it hurt all the guys that the family wasn’t whole. He also knew nothing could be done if Michael didn’t straighten his ass up about the kids and learn that his opinion wasn’t welcome when it came to the families of his friends. 

 

Ben opened the door of his room, looking distracted, but it seemed it wasn’t over Michael but the newest book he was planning. 

 

“Sorry, I got this idea for a book and wanted to get some ideas down before I forgot,” Ben told him.

 

“It’s fine, everyone is taking a break for lunch anyway,” Drew told him.

 

“I felt guilty about leaving Jenny,” Ben admitted.

 

“She’s having a great time with Mel and Lindsay. Plus I think the girls are planning on asking you to watch the fireworks with Jenny later while they spend some time alone.” Drew told him.

 

“It’s just good to see her happy and not worried about other things,” Ben commented.

 

“How are you really doing?” Drew asked.

 

“Did you get nominated to deal with me?” Ben joked.

 

“No. They’re all staying out of it. I just thought you might need a someone outside of it all to talk to.” Drew answered.

 

“You’re not exactly unbiased when it comes to Michael,” Ben told him.

 

“I’m not going to say I like him, but I do understand loving someone even when no one else gets why you do,” Drew told him.

 

“A lot of my friends don’t get why I keep trying with Michael,” Ben told him.

 

“Why do you?” Drew asked.

 

“Because love isn’t something we have a choice in, and for me loving Michael isn’t a choice. I just do. He’s nothing like I expected when I thought of the kind of person I would love.” Ben told him.

 

“What kind of person did you think it would be?” Drew asked.

 

“Someone intelligent like Justin. Not that Michael isn’t smart, it’s just that he sometimes doesn’t really understand what I’m talking about. I also saw a man who was caring, like Emmett and Blake, which Michael can be unless he feels like someone is taking something he wants away from him. I also wanted someone driven to succeed like Ted and Brian. Michael doesn’t really work for anything in his business. He just expects people to show up, the way he did when it comes to comics. In a way, I guess you could say everyone that surrounds Michael. Only I don’t love any of them, just Michael, flaws and all.” Ben answered.

 

“Even when the flaws are the reason you can’t be with him right now?” Drew asked.

 

“I can’t be with him because he doesn’t see anything wrong with how he acted around all the children. I’m angry at him for upsetting our daughter, who thought she’d lose me because he doesn’t think before he rants around her and everyone else. The truth is, right now I don’t want to see all the reasons I should stay, but the reasons I’m considering letting go of him.” Ben told him.

 

“Do you see any way to fix it?” Drew asked.

 

“Only Michael can fix it right now,” Ben told him.

 

“Then do yourself a favor and enjoy your time away and forget about all the things waiting for you at home. It’s going to be there when we get back, and sitting here by yourself isn’t going to change anything right now.” Drew told him.

 

“It hurts to know that Michael isn’t here with us,” Ben told him.

 

“Because of his own choices. Although the guys put the conditions out there, in the end, it was up to Michael to do something in the three weeks to show them he understood why it was happening.” Drew told him.

 

“Which I don’t get. Max, Billy, and Colton just add to the family. I’m jealous that all of you have these great kids, but I count myself lucky that they want me in their lives. I know Michael doesn’t hate the children but it’s like he can’t see past his jealousy of his friends doing something that doesn’t include him. He doesn’t see that Max would love to play with him, or that Colton likes comics, or that Billy wants him to be a good father to Jenny, not caring if he likes Billy at all. I mean, he has the chance to be part of it all with you guys but only sees the differences.” Ben commented.

 

“He doesn’t like change unless it means everyone’s attention is still on him. It’s what I noticed from the first time I met him. He supports everyone, yet gets upset when they do something he doesn’t know about or agree with. It’s why he kept reminding Emmett all the time he could count on him and not on me.” Drew told him.

 

“He didn’t count on Emmett loving you more than him,” Ben told him.

 

“He also didn’t count on the fact that while you still love him and likely always will, that you weren’t going to be the one who fixed what was wrong. Which I can see you're trying to do.” Drew told him, seeing that Ben’s book idea was really all the things he hoped could work to fix his marriage.

 

Ben looked down at the papers, realizing once again he was trying to fix Michael. But also knowing that unless Michael would open his eyes to the things that were driving everyone away from him, he would lose his friends. Ben knew Hunter had stayed behind not because he had classes to teach but because he was worried about Michael and the distance opening up between the man and everyone who loved him. 

 

“It doesn’t matter what I tell myself, I still want to find a way of helping him,” Ben told Drew.

 

“I’d be the same way if Emmett and I were dealing with what you are.” Drew agreed.

 

“The only difference is that Emmett would be in it with you, not waiting for you to figure it all out for him,” Ben told him.