- Text Size +

“How did Michael take the news?” Emmett asked Brian while they were sitting with Deb, watching the kids swim.

 

“I made sure not to say anything, after the whole Paris fiasco,” Deb told them.

 

“He said I could get Justin a dog,” Brian told him.

 

“Why doesn’t that even surprise me,” Deb said getting up shaking her head it didn't even surprise any of them her son would say something like that. She decided to check and see if any of the kids needed anything, instead of apologize once again for Michael.

 

“What was your answer?” Emmett asked.

 

“I hung up. I did what I told Jenny I would, I didn’t feel the need to argue when Michael only hears what he wants to. Michael’s opinion really doesn’t count when it's something Justin and I want. My call was for Jenny not Michael.” Brian said, waving at Max and Gus as they swam by, putting an end to any comments or questions on the subject.

 

“We aren’t going to just be able to take them home with us,” Emmett tells them, as Justin sat on the end of Brian’s lounger. Shaking water on him.

 

“We wouldn’t have either, but we’d already taken the classes they required, and did the counseling, which was all kinds of fun. The state approved us to adopt, and that meant we could foster Max until the adoption is final.” Brian tells him.

 

“I just hate that they’re stuck in the home when we have plenty of room for them,” Emmett tells them.

 

“They’ll have you and Drew to help them,” Ted said, walking up.

 

“I know that, but even when we told Billy and Colton we wanted to adopt them, I could still see the doubt in Billy’s eyes that it would happen. When we leave they’re going to see Max is staying here and they have to go back to the place we picked them up from. Then we have six months before we can be considered to be a foster family, which leaves them even more time to doubt us.” Emmett tells them.

 

“For Max’s sake I’m just glad we’d been doing this. Brian and I have been reassuring him and I think it’s why he’s willing to believe us, because we make sure he knows what happens as it does. When the caseworker came here last week, she told us a lot about his past and it helped us to understand how little the kids are told about what’s going to happen to them.” Justin tells them.

 

“We made that mistake today. I wanted them to have fun and get to know us. We were going to talk about what Drew and I were hoping to do before dropping them off. Now I dread today ending because I have to leave them.” Emmett told them sadly.

 

Brian understood how Emmett felt, because the idea of having to hand Max over after spending the day with him wasn’t something Brian would want to do. He didn’t like doing it with Gus for years either, but it’s what they’d have to do to get what they wanted in the end… or...

 

“Justin and I need to talk for a minute,” Brian tells Emmett, getting up and dragging a confused Justin behind him.

 

 

Billy let Colton swim while he thought about what Emmett and Drew told them. It would be so easy to believe and start allowing himself to think that his life and Colton’s could really be spent with people who cared about them. Only, he had tried that since he was little and stopped believing in the people who said the right things then sent him away. He remembered reading a stupid quote on a pillow at one of his foster homes about hope not abandoning you, that you abandon it. Well, Billy only did that when hope kept kicking him in the teeth. It’s why he told Colton the rules; the ones that made dealing with the crap they were dealt easier. You don’t let them fool you into getting comfortable; you don’t use names you’ll miss; and you never get attached to people. He broke the last rule with Colton, but Billy needed someone to know he existed. Someone that would miss him.

 

“You want more to eat?” Gus asked Billy, sitting down and rubbing Max with a towel.

 

“No. It was good, thank-you,” Billy told him politely.

 

“Max, I think Nana wants to make sure I did a good job drying you off,” Gus tells Max.

 

“Nana wants hugs,” Max said smiling and running to her.

 

“You really shouldn't do that to the kid,” Billy told Gus quietly.

 

“Do what?” Gus asked, wanting to help Billy when he noticed the way he looked like he was keeping himself apart.

 

“If they end up not doing what they told Max, it would hurt him badly with all of you encouraging him to think this is real,” Billy told him.

 

“The only thing we’re waiting for is Max’s adoption to be official. As far as everyone who's here is concerned, he’s ours. My Dads wouldn’t have done this if they didn’t plan on following it through. And understand me, Max is my brother, who I will love and make sure no one ever hurts.” Gus told him, keeping his tone neutral because he wanted Billy to see he was serious, not threatening.

 

“I hope for him you’re right,” Billy told him, wishing for a lot of things.

 

“You do get that Emmett and Drew aren’t just messing around with the idea of you and Colton, right?” Gus asked.

 

“Lots of people did in the past, but I’m still where I am. Something you wouldn’t understand, since you’ve never been in our shoes. And trust me, I’m happy for you to have all this and a life I’ve read about in fairytales, but me, I’m a realist, and that means not letting myself believe in things unless they happen. Like you, I don’t want Colton to get hurt if they end up being like the rest.” Billy told him.

 

“Then when it happens you’ll have to admit sometimes dreams do come true, for you and Colton. In the meantime, I’d like to be your friend. And understand me, if you agree you don’t get rid of me. No matter where you go, I’ll find a way to get there.” Gus tells him.

 

“Why would you want to bother?” Billy asked.

 

“You haven’t judged me for the fact that my fathers are gay, and I don’t think you’ll judge me for the fact that I live with my two gay mothers,” Gus answered.

 

“How do you know I don’t?” Billy asked.

 

“Because if that bothered you, you won’t have wanted Colton to be adopted by Emmett and Drew,” Gus told him.

 

“If people want to love someone, why does it matter?” Billy asked him.

 

“Strangely enough it does, when like you said, it shouldn’t matter,” Gus answered.

 

“Let them grow up not being loved and they’ll figure out why it’s more important,” Billy told him.

 

“I think you're going to be one of my best friends one day. By the way, that’s a promise, something my family takes very seriously. On a less serious note, why don’t we swim so we can just have fun for the day.” Gus told him, dragging him to the pool.

 

 

“What?” Justin asked, pushing Brian back from mauling him.

 

“I just wanted some attention.” Brian jokes.

 

“Which I’m happy to give you, but that’s not what’s on your mind,” Justin tells him.

 

“All the mystery is gone in this relationship,” Brian tells him, still thinking about if he should even offer this.

 

“We spent the first five years dealing with the mystery of Brian Kinney. How about you tell me what you’re thinking,” Justin tells him.

 

“That I’m glad we don’t have to do what Emmett and Drew will, with Max,” Brian tells him.

 

“We did it all, it’s why we got to take Max with us… But that’s not what your thinking is it?” Justin asks, starting to get where Brian is going with this.

 

“It’s not like they couldn’t live here we have the room and your taking time off for Max. I'm letting my people take over so I'll be here more. You know Emmett and Drew would help until they can be cleared,” Brian argues.

 

“You can’t help trying to save the day can you?” Justin tells him, having no problem with the idea.

 

“But if we offer, are we doing something that would affect OUR children?” Brian asked.

 

“By showing them everyone deserves a chance at a life like theirs will be? I think that would reinforce to them what we hope for them to be one day,” Justin tells him.

 

“Yes, but Max needs us to be there until he no longer doubts we love him,” Brian tells him.

 

“He’ll have that, not just from us but everyone in this crazy family of ours. I think it would make it easier, not just on Billy and Colton but on Emmett and Drew to not have to worry about scheduling time together. We wouldn’t stand in their way, and this way the boys could stay with them some nights and if nothing else know we’ll always offer them a home here.” Justin tells him.

 

“Can you get Emmett and Drew? I’ll call Gabriel and offer him a bonus if he can speed it up for us,” Brian tells him.

 

Gabriel hung up his phone, thinking if he was a kid he’d want that family behind him. He dialed the caseworker, Sabrina’s, number. Thinking she probably dreaded hearing from him by now. Although she should be celebrating that these kids were finding a family, but then he went over her head the last time, and would again if he needed to, which didn’t make her very happy with him. 

 

“This is very unusual, but they’ve been approved, so as long as they understand by taking the boys in, that everything falls on them right now, I’ll call my boss this time instead of you.” She told him, hanging up.

 

Gabriel called his PA and told her to get the file ready for Brian and Justin to have ready to take with them for Billy and Colton, then waited fifteen more minutes before he was called back by Sabrina.

 

“I wish I had the kind of clout your clients do.” She tells him.

 

“Normally they wouldn’t use it unless they feel strongly about what they want.” He tells her.

 

“What about the other adoptive parents? I thought you were helping them with Billy and Colton.” She asks, curious.

 

“I still will be, but I think it’s more about not wanting the boys to be stuck in the group home until they can be approved to live with Emmett and Drew. I don't see how having a home is ever a bad thing, especially because Brian would offer if he didn’t feel he would help the kids more than his friends.” He tells her.

 

“That’s a lot to do for friends.” She tells him.

 

“In this case they're doing it for their family, which they consider Colton and Billy to already part of. They’re an amazing group of men who will do anything for each other. And you don’t have to worry, Billy and Colton will feel nothing but loved by the whole family.” I tell her.

 

“I’ll meet them at the group home in a couple of hours. Maybe one of the other kids will get lucky.” She said, smiling as she hung up the phone.

 

Gabriel dialed Brian, deciding to give him a hard time before telling him the news.“I want you to admit I’m a miracle worker.”

 

“When?” Brian asked, not even bothering with messing around.

 

“She can be there in a couple of hours to help you get the boys things.” Gabriel hung up, feeling good about his job, something that wasn’t always possible for him.

 

“What?” Emmett asked looking between Justin and Brian. He and Drew were confused at why they were sitting here, but waited for them to tell them.

 

“I sort of miss when everyone thought I was the problem,” Brian tells Justin.

 

“That’s until they figured out you were actually helping by stealth,” Justin tells him.

 

“Emmy Lou and Drewsie, we have two boys to get rooms ready for in this house. Which means you two get to shop again.” Brian tells them.

 

“Who?” Emmett asked, still lost.

 

“What Brian is saying is, instead of the boys having to be picked up by you at the group home, you’ll have to come here to get them. We’ll be their foster family while you deal with how to make them your sons.” Justin tells him.

 

“I didn’t want them to have to go, but are you guys really sure about this?” Emmett asked.

 

“When have I ever done anything unless I wanted to?” Brian asked.

 

“Never. But this is bigger than anything we’ve ever asked of you,” Drew answered.

 

“It’s no more than you would have done if we needed you to,” Justin told him.

 

“What he said. Can we not get sentimental and maybe let the kids know before Deb shouts it out to everyone,” Brian said when Emmett came rushing to him, ignoring his scowl as he crushed him in a hug. 

 

“Thank-you, and hug me back,” Emmett ordered his brother to do.


Chapter End Notes:

I felt that because of how Brian and Michael’s friendship changed through the years in this story. Brian's conversation with Michael was just to pass information in his eyes and he felt no reason to discuss what  he deemed as being done for Jenny. By not discussing it, it showed how little impact Michael’s words had on him.