- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Justin returns to New York for his first big art opening…

I'm Missing You from vonnie copy

Title: I’m Missing You…
Story Type: AU
Word Count: 2688
Rating: R
Warnings: Passion and Lust…
Beta Queen:bigj52
Banner: yvonne_reid

Summary:  Brian goes missing during a sea cruise…

Chapter Summary: Justin returns to New York for his first big art opening…

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable charters, settings, plot, etc. are property of their respective owners, including, but not limited to Russell T. Davies, Cowlip, and Showtime. The author of this story is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended…

 

I’m Missing You…

 

Chapter 6 ~ Justin’s Art Opening…

We’re both slightly drunk as the plane touches down. There was quite a bit of turbulence and have I mentioned that I’m slightly afraid of flying? So the only way to calm my fears was with a few shots of Jack Daniel’s. We flew first class as I used the tickets that Brian had purchased and had his name changed to Daphne’s. I make plans to have lunch with Norman Blackwell the next day; my painting should arrive that afternoon.

 

We walk to the gallery and see that it’s busy with many artists hanging their art work and adjusting the lighting. Daphne mentions how far I’ve come since my first few sketches were hung at the GLC. We both laugh and then one of the curators comes over and asks if I’m Justin Taylor. Then they show me to my space and I’m impressed because it’s located in the middle of the gallery. I explain that my paintings are still in transit but they should be here the next day. It’s Monday night and the show isn’t until Friday night so there’s plenty of time.

 

After walking around and looking at everyone else’s work we head out to dinner and for the first time in weeks I actually have an appetite. We go to a local Mexican restaurant and order half the menu and drink margaritas. I’m now so excited about the show and starting to get a little nervous. The other artists are really good and they’ve had other shows before where this is all new for me. I’ve only exhibited in really small galleries before.

 

My head is spinning as Daphne drags me out into the dance floor and we sway to the thumpa thumpa. The music is so loud I let myself get carried away, listening to the strong beat. I can feel all the guys checking me out and then I sense someone behind me, so I turn and see that it’s Jared Peterson. I smile up at him as I let his arms encircle my waist. He’s easy to dance with and I’m really enjoying just letting myself go. Several songs later we make our way over to the bar and he buys drinks for both Daphne and I.

 

He tells me how sorry he was about Brian and that he hopes they find him soon. He says it was on the news and what a shame it is that something like this has happened. He says to let him know if there’s anything he can do to help out. Then he invites me up to the lake so as not be alone. He seems really nice and he didn’t automatically just assume that Brian is dead. Daphne, on the other hand, thinks he’s trying to get into my pants. I try and explain that it’s not like that at all; that he’s more like an older brother.

 

Daphne and I go out shopping to the many designer stores and I can’t help but think about Brian and how good he would look in some of these clothes. I can’t resist buying him some new shirts and ties as well as a couple of pairs of jeans. I’m finding it harder to shop for myself but I find a nice pair of slacks and knit shirt to wear to my art opening. Daphne is having a blast and I tell her not to worry about the prices; that I’ll pay for everything. She finds a slinky black dress that fits her perfectly.

 

So now that we at least have our outfits picked out for the show we spend the rest of the time fooling around, trying on outrageously expensive clothing and that’s when I find the perfect blazer. It looks great and makes me feel like it’s something Brian would pick out for me. We head back to the hotel room and order lunch. I need to be at the gallery in an hour and a half. Daphne’s exhausted from all the running around so she decides to stay and take a long bubble bath and a short nap.

 

Norman Blackwell is already there when I arrive and he’s looking at my paintings, just standing there, holding his chin. Every once in a while he grunts. He finally sees me and says you didn’t tell me just how intense the pieces were and then he smiles and says that they’re brilliant. We hang them and talk about the lighting. I’m happy to see Norman is truly a perfectionist when it comes to displaying my work. He makes them move the paintings an inch or two here and there until they’re aligned from the perfect perspective.

 

He makes me feel so proud of my work and I’m really wishing that Brian was here to see it. Norman says that he’s arranged to have several interviews set up for tomorrow just before the show. He wants me to be there about five o’clock and to expect to have my picture taken next to my art work. I know what he’s hinting at. It’s my clothing as I’m just wearing jeans and a black t-shirt right now. I tell him that I just got back from shopping and I plan to be dressed up for the opening.

 

My cell phone rings and it’s my mother. She and Debbie have just gotten in and they’re taking a taxi from the airport and want to meet me and Daphne for dinner. What I didn’t realize was that the whole gang was coming to the show so when Daphne and I arrive at the restaurant I’m surprised to see so many people. We practically take over one side of the restaurant and it feels great to see everyone. I’m surprisingly relaxed, considering everything that’s going on. It’s good to see Emmett. He reaches out and gives me a big hug, telling me that I look good which is a lie because I’ve lost about ten pounds and all my old clothes are too big on me.

 

 I find out that everyone is staying at the Ramada like we are and planning on going sight-seeing during the day tomorrow to the museums. They’re disappointed that I can’t join them but I have a million things to do before for the show. So I tell Daphne that she should go with them. The only people that aren’t here are Mel and Lindsay. Michael says it’s because they couldn’t afford to come. But I know that’s not true because Brian offered to pay their way when I was first offered the show. I’m guessing it’s because they don’t want to see me.

 

I know that they’ve been in contact with Brian’s attorney, trying to have the insurance money released. They claim that they need a new car and that their house is too small for the four of them. But from what I understand the insurance policy is in a trust in Gus’s name and he can’t get to it until he’s twenty five. But Brian has an automatic payment of two thousand dollars a month set up for the girls until Gus completes college. Two thousand dollars a month is more than enough to cover a new car payment.

 

God, it just makes me sick to my stomach when all anyone seems to care about is Brian’s money. I don’t even think Michael contributes anything to JR’s support but they think nothing about asking for more money from Brian. My hand is starting to shake and I have to wonder if it’s from my lack of cocaine or I’m just upset about everything. I’ve had to hide my drug use from Daphne these last couple of days and only do it when she’s not around. Yet I know I’m taking a big risk doing it around the family.

 

I excuse myself and go to the bathroom to splash some water on my face but in the end I end up doing a line while I’m in there. I sure wish I had grabbed back that bullet from Daphne. I think she just left it on the side of the sink. After dinner Mom and Debbie excuse themselves and go back to the hotel; the rest of us head out to a dance club. They always ask me what the clubs are like here in New York so now they’ll see for themselves that they’re pretty much the same everywhere you go.

 

We all get drinks and Emmett pulls me out onto the dance floor. We dance to a couple of songs but then I see Jared as he dances over to us and I introduce him to the gang. Jared is hot and so sweet; he buys us a round of drinks and tells me that he knows the bartender so he gets a discount. He asks me to dance and somehow it just feels right. I lose myself in the songs and after a few dances Jared leads me off the dance floor and to the bathroom, where he offers me a hit from his bullet. I ask him what it is because I don’t want to mix drugs, and it just so happens that he’s also a bit of a cokehead.

 

He introduces us to his friends. Emmett hooks up with his good friend, Tate and we all end up dancing and drinking the night away. The next morning I’m slightly hung over and need lots of coffee to get me started. I can’t help remembering having so much fun as last night. I really like Jared and he seems to be the only one who understands where I’m coming from these days. The gang’s already taken off for their sight-seeing trip and I know I need a little something to calm my nerves. I’m so glad Jared gave me his bullet last night so I have a couple of hits and draw a nice hot bath. I soak in the bubbles, just letting my muscles relax and my mind drift. It wasn’t long before I was thinking about Brian and all the times we bathed together. I missed him desperately and I worry about him. Is he safe? Is he hungry? Is he all alone? Is there any hope that he might be rescued? I reach up and wipe my tears away, silently wishing that he would just miraculously appear before me.

 

It was times like this that I become so desperate I finish bathing, not even interested in masturbating, for once. I just crawl into bed and try to go to sleep again. I awake several hours later to someone pounding on my door. I drag myself out of bed and answer the door. Of course it is Daphne checking up on me and letting me know that I have to be at the gallery in an hour. I thank her and jump in the shower, trying to wake myself up. While dressing I decide that I’ll just have a couple of hits of coke just to take the edge off.

 

I’m feeling nervous as I flag down a taxi cab, making it to the gallery just a few minutes early. Norman’s already there, walking around, talking to the reporters and showing them my masterpieces. One of them already has a ‘sold’ sign down in the right-hand corner; I wonder who would have bought it already as the show hasn’t even opened. Talking to the reporters my conversation flows very easily and of course I’m very animated about my work. The time seems to pass quickly and before I know it they’re getting ready to open the doors.

 

I stood as the reporters kept requesting I pose with my paintings. I smile my sunshine smile and hold my head up high, so very proud of my work. Over the next couple of hours Norman introduced me to all the very prominent art collectors as they all gush about my work. Several asked about my inspiration for my artwork. I’m getting exhausted talking to so many people that I hardly have time to acknowledge my mother and friends as they come by admiring my work.

 

I finally slip away to use the restroom and have several hits from my bullet. I’m now not feeling any pain as I make my way back out through the crowds. I take a glass of wine from one of the waiters and start to make my way over to the gang who are milling about. I hug my mother and say hi to everyone They ask me about the painting and notice that they have all sold. I’m surprised by this and now understand why Norman was so insistent that I make small talk with all of the patrons of the art scene.

 

The show is starting to wind down and the gang is talking about taking me out for a celebratory dinner at some fancy steakhouse. That’s when out of the corner of my eye I see Jared looking at my paintings. I excuse myself and go over to say hi; the gang’s shocked when Jared embraces me and gives me a passionate kiss. I think nothing of it as he walks around, studying my paintings.

 

Mom comes over and tells me that they’re ready to go when she recognizes Jared from the lake. She’s surprised to see him there but happy that he came to support my work. He explains to her how we ran into each other last time he was up at the lake. He lives here in New York and saw the advertisement for my show and couldn’t resist stopping by. Jennifer doesn’t even hesitate when she asks him to join us for dinner.

 

Michael is the first to say that he doesn’t like Jared; that there’s just something about him that seems off. He thinks he’s trying to capture Justin’s heart and maybe his bank account now that he’s sure to inherit Brian’s wealth. Daphne is relieved as she was beginning to have the same impression - not that he doesn’t seem sweet and charming, at first. He seems too sweet and charming and if she didn’t know better she would think that he’s into drugs. God, she hoped not. That’s just what Justin doesn’t need in his life right now.

 

They had a pleasant dinner but it was obvious that something was going on between Justin and Jared, considering how frequently they got up to use the restroom. Granted that Justin had quite a bit to drink and Emmett and Ted were convinced that they were just hooking up but it was still strange that Justin would trick right in front of his mother. Emmett finally pulls Justin aside and asks him point blank what was going on with Jared. Justin blushes and says, “It’s nothing. We were just doing a little blow. I just need to take the edge off the stress I’ve been under.”

 

Justin begged him not to say anything, reassuring him that it was just this weekend and it wasn’t serious. Justin knew he was lying but he couldn’t think of anything else to say. He didn’t want Daphne or his mom to find out the truth. Later that night Justin mentions that he wants to leave to go to Florida in just a couple of days. Daphne’s surprised as she had actually hoped that she could convince him that it was a bad idea.

 

Justin tells her that if she’s changed her mind and doesn’t want to go that it’s alright, that Jared has offered to go with him. At that Daphne blows her lid, saying that she doesn’t trust him and that she thinks he’s bad news. She tries her best to make Justin see Jared in a different light, confronting him about his drug use and her speculation that he’s actually after Brian’s money. This just makes Justin mad and he tells her that maybe it would be a better idea if she didn’t come, if she’s going to have that attitude.

 

TBC…