- Text Size +

 

Revenge

Chapter 3

Brian logged on to Art Nouveau. Today was the day that those who had made the finals would be listed on the site. Each of the finalists would be invited to attend a show in Philadelphia at Pamela Goodwin's Gallery. Their work would then be adjudicated by a panel that Pamela had assembled. Brian held his breath as he clicked his way to the site and the list of finalists.

He scanned down. Pet was one of the finalists. That had been his only stipulation when Pamela had agreed to doing the internet gallery. Brian had even forked over the first $200 that was given to Myth for hosting the site. He had filtered it through Pamela. Thank God she had liked the idea and the response to the internet show. She was paying for everything else herself.

Brian let out a breath. Pet would be in Philadelphia. That was what he had done all this for. Now he would be able to confront the little toad. The only other thing he needed was for … YES! There it was. Pollock's Pole was one of the finalists too. Even though Brian was Pollock's Pole at Art Nouveau, he had submitted Justin's "Net Friend" piece, and it was one of the finalists.

Brian looked at the other names. Whimsy had been chosen. He smiled as he envisaged her running all the way from California. He liked that girl a lot, especially the way she had stuck with Justin through everything. Now he would get to thank her in person.

The computer pinged and Whimsy was asking for an IM session.

Whimsy: Hey, Brian, did you see the good news? I made the finals and so did Justin. And Pet …Yuck!

Pole: Pet's work sucks, but I'm glad he'll be in Philadelphia.

Whimsy: Does Justin know anything about this?

Pole: Not a thing. I'm going to keep it a surprise until he sees his work at the gallery.

Whimsy: I hope the shock doesn't kill him.

Pole: It better not. I have plans for that young man.

Whimsy: LOL See you in Philly.

Pole: Later.

Brian signed off. His plan was now in full swing. He would get Lindsay to call that night and convince Justin to come to the art show featuring new young artists at her friend's gallery in Philadelphia. Brian would do his best to persuade Justin to go. He hoped they all could get the lad to cooperate and pull this off.

-----

Brian lay on the futon seemingly watching an old movie on the dismal little TV that Justin had dragged home from somewhere. He vowed he would have his plasma TV back before the end of the year. He was, however, really listening to Justin talk to Lindsay on the phone.

"I don't think I can go," Justin was saying softly. "I have to finish up some work at IFA … and I have shifts at the diner scheduled for that weekend." Brian waited, knowing Lindsay would be giving all the reasons Justin should go to the show in Philly. "Yeah, I guess I'd like to see what these new young guys have come up with, but it would probably only depress me. … No, I don't think my work would be good enough. … All right, I'll discuss it with Brian, but it's not going to make any difference. … Sure, thanks for thinking of me. … Bye."

Justin placed the phone back in the cradle and stood silently beside the desk. Brian waited. When Justin didn't say anything, he had to ask, "What are you going to discuss with Brian?"

"Oh, nothing," Justin said with a shrug.

"Tell me the truth. What did Lindsay want?"

"Um … she has a friend who owns an art gallery in Philadelphia. Apparently her friend sponsored some sort of internet art show for young artists. The finalists of the internet contest are having a show at her gallery next weekend."

"So?"

"So … Lindsay invited me to go. She seemed to think I would be interested."

"And you're not?"

"Why would I want to see work that's probably way better than mine? I feel like shit already! I don't need to see how great their work is."

Brian ignored Justin's self-deprecation. "Are the artists going to be there?" he asked casually.

"Yeah, why?"

"Just thought you might like to talk art with them." Brian saw Justin's face perk up for a second, but that look was soon replaced with the usual glum countenance. "How did your pieces for the student art show at PIFA go over? I was expecting to be invited to the show."

"It's just student shit," Justin said slowly. "You wouldn't like it."

"Don't fucking tell me what I'd like!" Brian reacted. "And what did your Profs think of the pieces I chose."

"They said they were fine."

"Fine?"

"They actually said they were very good," Justin said with a little smile.

"And I bet if you had entered that art contest of Lindsay's friend, you would be one of the finalists too."

Justin shook his head. "I … I don't know. I don't think so."

Brian was getting angry but he bit his tongue. "What if we go to Philadelphia for this show? It's only a couple of hours away. You can talk to the artists and we can have a nice meal. We'll come home late so that we don't have to fork out for a hotel. And then I'll fuck you into the mattress. How does that sound?" Brian held his breath as he waited for Justin's answer.

"Maybe," Justin said with a smile. "I especially like the last part."

"Then let's do it. I'll get the details from Lindsay. You get the time off at the diner."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Okay, it … it sounds like fun."

Brian exhaled slowly. Done like a dinner! The last obstacle was overcome. This was going to work out, and Rue was going to get his comeuppance at long last.

"Want to practise that last part now?" Brian asked dragging Justin up to the bedroom.

-----

Brian had no reason to log onto Art Nouveau now that the contest was over on the internet and he had Rue on his way to Philadelphia. Therefore, he was surprised when he logged onto the computer the next day to receive a request for an IM from none other than the inimitable Picasso's Pet. Brian smirked as he typed in hello. He was going to enjoy this.

Pet: Hey, Pole, didn't you say you lived in Philadelphia?

Pole: Yeah, what's it to you?

Pet: Have you noticed that I'm one of the finalists for the internet art contest?

Pole: Yeah, so am I.

Pet: Congratulations.

Pole: Thanks.

Pet: Well, as one great artist to another, I thought maybe we could get together when I come to Philadelphia for the gallery show.

Brian thought he might gag. Who did this little asshole think he was, putting himself in the same category as Justin?

Pole: Is that right?

Pet: I was wondering if maybe you could put me up for the three days I'll be there.

Brian could barely believe the nerve of this guy. He wouldn't give Brian the time of day until he needed something, and now he did.

Pole: No can do. My boyfriend wouldn't like another body in the bed.

Pet: I … I didn't mean in your bed! Don't you have a couch?

Pole: We don't have room. I'll book you a room at a nice hotel if you like.

Pet: Not sure I can afford that.

Pole: Then I guess you're on your own. See you in Philly.

Brian logged off before Pet could say anything more. He had enjoyed putting Pet in his place, and the fucking little shit was going to find out that there was much more to come.

-----

Brian pulled the Corvette into the parking lot across the road from Pamela's gallery. It was all lit up and people were crowded around inside. They were a little late but Brian had planned it that way. He knew Michael, Ben and Hunter would already be there. He wondered if Hunter had had a chance to get close to Rue and find out if he had Brian's lighter on him. He hoped Carl and his friend Steve, from the Philly police force, were already there. This had to go right.

The finalists were supposed to be at the gallery by 7:30 and it was now almost quarter to nine. The winner would be announced at nine so they needed to get inside. Brian locked the car and guided Justin across the road. He knew Lindsay would be waiting for them just inside the door.

As they entered the gallery Lindsay came over to Justin and gave him a big hug. She gave Brian a thumb's up behind Justin's back. Brian smiled in satisfaction. It was only a matter of minutes to the downfall of one Picasso's Pet or Ruben or Rue or Roy Elson or whatever the fuck his name was.

"They're going to announce the winner in just a minute," Lindsay said steering them over to the side away from the finalists and the podium but to a spot from where they could get a good view of the proceedings.

"Ladies and gentlemen," said a well dressed woman who tapped the microphone and held up her hand to gain quiet. "I'm really gratified by the turnout here tonight and the overall enthusiasm for the internet art show. In fact several of the works of these young artists have already been sold. And may I say that those of you who have purchased the works have made an excellent investment. These are the stars of the future."

Everyone applauded and the four finalists took a little bow. Brian could see Rue looking smug and a pretty young woman that he thought might be Whimsy. He'd have to meet her later. He glanced at Justin who seemed to be taking it all in. Apparently he hadn't really noticed Rue yet. He was looking at some of the artwork as Pamela made her speech.

Pamela continued, "We are prepared to announce the winner of our contest. I want to thank our judges…" and she proceeded to introduce them to the audience. Justin was scanning the finalists now and his eyes rested on Rue. Brian felt him tense up.

"Brian…" he whispered.

"I see him," Brian replied.

"What's going on?"

"Just wait," Brian admonished.

"The winner of our internet contest for young artists is Pollock's Pole, as he's known on the internet, or Justin Taylor as he is in real life," Pamela announced. "Justin was delayed but I hope he has now arrived."

Amidst the round of applause Brian shoved Justin forward to receive his award. Justin sputtered and hung back.

"They mean you, Justin. I'll explain later, but I submitted your "Net Friend" piece," Brian said quickly.

Justin's eyes got very large but then he smiled and moved confidently forward to receive his check for $500. Brian couldn't help but grin. He looked at Rue's face which was flushed with anger. He looked ready to explode.

Brian looked around for Carl and saw him standing with another middle aged, balding, slightly overweight man who had the look of "cop" written all over him. Brian nodded and cocked his head towards Rue who Brian would learn later had been introduced as Roy Elson which apparently was his real name.

Carl and his friend started moving towards Rue. Brian saw Hunter sidling towards the little toad as well.

"He has Brian's lighter," Hunter said to Carl.

"Are you sure?" Carl asked.

Hunter nodded and the two policemen moved in on Rue. The look of panic on his face was priceless. They took him by the arms and escorted him towards Pamela's office. Brian half wished that they would arrest the little ass in front of the whole gallery, but he suspected that they didn't want to make too big a scene when it was only petty theft they were dealing with.

"What's going on?" Justin asked coming up to Brian. "What's Carl doing here and … Hunter?" Justin had just noticed the littlest hustler grinning at Brian.

"Rue's going to be arrested for stealing my lighter. Hunter was able to get him to use it so that we knew for sure he had it here."

"You … you planned all this?" Justin asked.

Brian nodded. "And it all came out just the way I wanted it to."

"And did you arrange for me to win this so-called contest too?" Justin demanded looking at the check in his hand. "Fuck you!"

"Later, Sunshine," Brian said taking him by the arm and steering him towards Whimsy. "There's somebody I want to meet and that I think you'll want to meet too.

They approached the young woman standing in front of her display of work. She had just finished talking to a couple and was smiling happily. When she saw Justin her smile got even bigger.

"Justin," she said giving him a big hug. "I'm Whimsy. I'm so glad to finally meet you in person. I love your work, and your "Net Friend" piece so deserved to win."

"Um … thanks, Whimsy. It's good to meet you too. Is this your work?"

"Yeah, and I just sold the last piece to that couple I was talking to. I can't believe that all the pieces have been purchased."

"That's great," Justin said still somewhat bewildered.

"And you must be Brian," Whimsy said. "I'm Carly if you want my real name. This all turned out so great. I can't believe you pulled it off."

"I couldn't have without your help," Brian admitted.

"You helped? What's been going on?" Justin demanded.

"Brian had this great idea for the internet art contest to smoke out Pet, but it turned out to be just a plain, great idea. Mondrian's Myth is here too. He ran the contest from the Art Nouveau site. You should talk to him," Whimsy stated.

"I should?"

"There he is," she said waving at Myth to come over. "Myth or Harold as he is in this world, this is Freudian Slip and Pollock's Pole, Justin and Brian."

"Hey guys," Myth said. "I'm glad to finally meet you both. Whimsy filled me in on what's being going on and I want to say that I'm sorry I blocked you, Justin. I almost kicked you off the site altogether."

"They all believed Pet," Justin said glumly.

"Not any more," Myth stated. "One look at his work and then yours and it was painfully obvious we had all made a mistake. You're a wonderful artist, Justin, and you deserved to win this contest."

"Thanks, Myth, that means a lot to me," Justin said shaking the man's hand. The smile on his face was radiant, just the way Brian liked it. He smiled back.

"How was your run from California?" Brian asked trying to relieve some of the emotional tension that seemed destined to swamp them all.

Whimsy laughed. "I didn't have to run. My parents bought me a plane ticket and even came with me. I'll introduce you to them later if you have time."

"I'll make time," Brian smiled at her.

She giggled and turned to talk to someone else who seemed interested in her artwork. Myth eased away leaving Brian and Justin standing by themselves.

"You did all this for me?" Justin asked.

Brian nodded. "But I also wanted the slimy toad to get what he deserved, and I want my fucking lighter back!"

"Of course you do," Justin said with a chuckle and leaned against Brian who kissed the top of his head. "I love you," Justin whispered in response.

Suddenly Michael, Ben and Hunter were standing in front of them. "Carl and Steve seem to be working Rue over pretty good," Michael said to Brian.

"Good."

"I got Rue to show me his lighter and it was gold," Hunter explained. "I could see BK on the front of it so I was sure it was yours."

"You did a great job, Hunter," Brian admitted. "We couldn't have gotten proof without you."

Hunter beamed up at Brian. "You can thank me later," he said with a wink.

Brian chuckled and shook his head.

"Ted and Emmett are around somewhere," Michael said.

"What are they doing here?" Justin asked.

"They drove your framed artwork to the gallery a few days ago," Brian explained.

"They did?"

"They decided they wanted to attend the festivities," Ben said. "Emmett can hardly wait until they cart Rue off to jail."

"That makes two of us," Brian added.

"How many people did you involve in all this?" Justin asked.

"He had me get everybody who came into the shop to vote for your picture on the web. Ben's students voted for you too. I think he got Daphne to round up voters, and some of your friends at PIFA," Michael explained.

"You fixed the results?" Justin asked staring at Brian.

"I did not. I just tried to make sure that you got to the finals. Whimsy told me they were all doing that. I couldn't let you be left out when you didn't even know you were in." Justin shook his head. "You won this part of the contest fair and square," Brian added.

Just then the door to Pamela's office opened and Carl and Steve brought Rue out in handcuffs. Carl smiled in Brian and Justin's direction and gave them a wink.

"Do you have to press charges or anything?" Michael asked.

"I already filed a complaint with Carl. I might have to go to court, but by the look on Rue's beady little face I think he'll confess everything and take his lumps."

Justin slid his hand into his pocket. He watched as they began to move Rue towards the entrance of the gallery. Most of the people inside were watching this unusual turn of events. Justin quickly made his way towards Carl, Rue and Steve.

"Carl," Justin said, "could I have a moment?"

"Sure thing, Justin," Carl said pulling Rue around to face him. Rue stared at the floor refusing to look up at the person he had wronged.

"You ripped me off, you deceived me, you stole my ideas, and you made me doubt myself," Justin said quietly. "I've hated you for months, but no more."

Rue looked up tentatively, not sure what Justin was getting at. "What … what do you mean?"

"I mean that the check I got for my art covers what you ripped me off for. Myth and Whimsy and everyone else knows what a fraud you are in the art world. I have my friends and my honor back. I won't waste my time hating someone as pathetic as you?"

"I'm not pathetic," Rue sputtered.

"Oh, and I have something for you," Justin said. He slowly drew his hand out of his pocket. "You can have this back. Consider it paid off." Justin took the $500 keychain that Rue had given him and pushed it against Rue's chest. With his hands cuffed Rue couldn't take hold of it so it clattered to the floor at his feet. Justin left it there as Carl purposefully stepped on it while dragging Rue out to the car.

"Feel better?" Brian asked putting his hands on Justin's shoulders.

"Much. I needed to do that."

"I know."

Justin studied his partner looking at the face of a man who truly did understand him, and who would go to great lengths to protect him and make him feel better.

"Want to see what pieces I selected for your art show here?" Brian asked.

"You should be my manager," Justin laughed.

"I already am, twat."

"Show me," Justin said. Brian took his hand and led him over to the display area where his work was featured.

"Wow," Justin reacted. "It looks great."

"And it's all sold," Emmett said coming up behind Justin. "I just checked with Pamela."

"It is?" Justin gasped. "That's great. Thanks for everything, you guys."

"No problem," Ted said. "And none of Rue's has sold." He grinned at Justin as he and Emmett went to get a drink.

"You okay?" Brian asked.

"I'm … great! I can't believe you did all this," Justin replied.

"Just remember what we will be doing later in the evening," Brian said with his best leer.

"I remember and I'm going to make you so happy," Justin giggled.

"I have a question for you though."

"You do?"

Brian nodded. "Where's the fucking keychain in your "Net Friend" piece?"

Justin laughed out loud, freely and easily. Brian thought he had never heard a sweeter sound. "You still don't see it?"

"No," Brian admitted staring at the canvas.

"Look around the edges."

Brian stepped back and looked at the outer fringes of the painting. Something began to take shape. It looked like a four-leaf clover lightly surrounding the central images.

"I finally see the fucking four-leaf clover."

Justin laughed. "Pretty ironic that he gave me a good luck keychain when all he brought me was bad luck."

"Well, all that bad luck just got carted off to the police station."

"I don't need luck as long as I've got you," Justin declared.

Brian grinned at him. "Why, Slip, you say the sweetest things. We may have to leave early so that we can start our end of evening activities right away."

"Oh, you'll get yours, believe me," Justin said. "But first I want to talk to everybody and hear what a fucking great artist I am."

"That sounds good to me," Brian said as Justin took his hand and led him over to Whimsy and her parents.

The End.
Thyme is the author of 54 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Revenge also liked 656 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Net Friends. The previous story in the series is Net Friends.