- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

The crowd demanded more, even after three additional songs were played. At one time Brian relished how they couldn't get enough from the band. Now he just wanted to get through dealing with the people who paid for the meet and greet and leave the noise of the crowd behind. He just needed a break. One that being in Pittsburgh would give him. Bowing to the crowd he didn't give in again but walked off the stage towards Michael, who had his towel and water ready. Brian waited for Emmett, who managed to stop Michael from chasing behind Brian.

 

Both Emmett and Brian did what was required of them, met with each person as they were brought in to see them. They smiled for the pictures and signed everything, including tits, stomachs, and arms, before they were finally left with just Ted and Michael.

 

"I called ahead, they'll rope off the VIP section at Babylon for us tonight. I told them not to let any troll up without my approval." Michael says, excited to be back.

 

"I'm not really up to dealing with being seen tonight," Emmett tells him, just wanting to sleep for a week.

 

"I already promised that you guys would appear," Michael whined.

 

"They also told you they wanted to be off after tonight. That didn't mean running off with you, Michael. Go, guys." Ted says, keeping Michael from stopping them, making Emmett and Brian glad they made Ted their manager.

 

"Bri, think of the guys likely waiting to be your pick for the night," Michael whines again, wanting to see the faces of everyone when he and Brian walked in together.

 

"I promised Gus I would see him tonight. Go have fun," Brian tells him, texting.

 

"Lindsay and Mel can tell him you'll see him later since the tour is over," Michael tells him, not really getting how Brian could turn down getting lucky tonight.

 

"Have fun, Michael. I agree with Brian, not tonight." Emmett tells him.

 

Brian got the alert on his phone that his car was waiting and tossed Michael the towel before leaving them to argue alone. He barely managed to get in the limo before his body crashed from exhaustion. Emmett hopped in as Ted dragged Michael with him. Ted was going to drop Michael off at his mother's house and catch the next flight out so he could catch up with his other clients, Blake and Ben, who were on their last leg of their tour. Blake had called Ted, wanting him to be with them now that Brian and Emmett were done with their tour.

 

"Tell Justin I said hi and I'll visit later," Emmett tells him getting out at his house.

 

Michael was pissed that once again Emmett and Brian disappeared. It had been happening a lot in the last three years. Emmett told Michael that Brian needed a break, but yet Emmett wasn't giving him a break, dragging him to all these high society functions. Michael and Emmett's friendship had been shaky for years because Michael had been part of their band until the record label disagreed. It didn't matter to the record label that he was once in the band, just that Brian and Emmett were what they wanted. He'd overheard one of the guys tell Brian they needed someone who played the drums better than mediocre if they wanted to be on the top. Michael expected them to tell the guy to fuck off, but instead, they signed with him, replacing Michael and giving him a job as a glorified gopher. Michael agreed because he planned to make the guy eat his words after Brian and Emmett became famous and didn't have to kiss the record label's ass anymore. Michael had planned to use tonight to convince Brian that he should be part of the band again, but Brian kept running off anytime Michael wanted to talk to him. Michael knew something had been going on, but Brian was tight-lipped about where he was disappearing to all the time.

 

Brian let the limo drop him off at his loft, after stopping by and seeing Gus as he told everyone he was doing. Mel and Lindsay were planning to let him have Gus for a couple of days after he got some rest. They both looked worried at how tired he was, but he turned down their offer to stay over. Brian needed more than the bed they offered him, and the end of his journey would give it to him.

 

Brian pulled into the garage and rested his head on the steering wheel. Relaxing for the first time in months. He looked over when the door opened and light spilled into the garage. He didn't pretend he wasn't tired when he was getting out of the car. He didn't pretend anything with Justin. Brian just followed the man that gave him an oasis when he needed it from the world.

 

"Go take a shower and I'll bring you something," Justin tells him.

 

"Thank you, but I'd rather just fall into bed with you," Brian said, kissing him.

 

"I promised to take care of you when I married you," Justin tells him.

 

Brian went upstairs when Justin stubbornly told him- shower first, food second, and if he stayed awake, anything else he wanted. Brian sometimes laughed at how easily Justin could make him do things, with no more than his soft voice and beautiful smile. Now he felt lucky Justin stuck by him.

 

*********************************

 

Brian was constantly amazed Justin agreed with him that no one needed to know about their relationship, in order for them to be together. At the time neither of them were even looking for a relationship. They were both at the top of their careers. Justin didn't have people trying to find him everywhere he went, unlike Brian, who couldn't even take a piss without someone trying to take a picture of him.

 

It's what he thought Justin was doing when he walked into the bathroom that first time, texting on his phone. Brian snarled at him, and Justin looked confused as to why he should care that he was in Brian's presence.

 

"You've gotten your minute with me, now go away." Brian had snarled at him.

 

"Narcissism is unattractive as hell." Justin snarled right back.

 

"Taking a picture of my dick won't get it in your ass." Brian snapped back.

 

"Unless it magically shuts you up, I don't see it ever getting near my ass," Justin told him, rolling his eyes.

 

"Look, I just wanted to fucking take a leak without having to deal with people who think I owe them something just for breathing," Brian told him, hating when he acted like a dick to fans.

 

"Breath away, I just needed to piss," Justin told him, wondering why the guy acted like he owned a public bathroom.

 

Brian wasn't sure if this was a joke, but the guy acted like he didn't have a clue who Brian was. He just took care of business, ignoring Brian completely. Only looking at Brian like he was insane.

 

"What are you doing here?" Brian asked.

 

"Nothing you need to know about," Justin told him, washing his hands before picking up his phone and walking out.

 

Brian could have let it go, but the guy really didn't seem to recognize him, and the novelty kept him intrigued. He went back to the charity gala he'd been planning to ditch when he watched the guy walk back into it. Emmett found him and they walked around, talking to people before the auction started. Emmett had wanted to buy a couple pieces of art that were going to be sold and asked Brian to come with him. Brian had agreed when he'd overheard Michael inviting a bunch of people to their rooms.

 

"Why didn't you just go buy from a gallery?" Brian asked.

 

"It's for a good cause and the ones selling tonight are ones Justin Taylor never offered to sell before," Emmett told him.

 

"Never heard of him," Brian commented, watching the guy from the bathroom get swallowed into a group of people.

 

"He's been rising in the art world. Not really your thing. Plus we've been busy ourselves. I met a guy who showed me some of Justin Taylor's work and I've wanted it ever since, so we're here. He actually showed up tonight too, which he rarely does to these things." Emmett told him.

 

"You sound like our fans right now," Brian said sarcastically, wondering where the guy disappeared to.

 

"Shut up, and help me meet him," Emmett told him.

 

Brian followed after Emmett when he saw the guy and it was the same direction Emmett was going. Brian bit his lip to keep from laughing when Justin scowled at Brian standing in front of him.

 

"Is there something I've done to offend you now by standing here?" Justin asked him.

 

"Sorry. I was hoping to meet you. I came because I hoped to buy the pieces you put up for auction tonight. I dragged Brian with me hoping people would be too busy staring at him to outbid me." Emmett joked, hoping to break the tension.

 

"So you've got EVERYONE believing in your narcissism?" Justin asked.

 

"Honey, he's got crowds of screaming fans to back him up," Emmett told him, as Justin still looked confused.

 

"Wow, a fan club?" Justin asked, laughing.

 

"Brian's is bigger than mine. They should appreciate I can outplay any other guitarist in the world, but no, it's all about pretty boy's voice." Emmett joked.

 

"Sorry, I'm still lost here," Justin told them.

 

"We're part of the band Dark Angels," Emmett told him. Justin nodded, in hopes to not make Emmett feel bad that he'd never heard of them.

 

"You came to buy one of my pieces?" Justin asked, hoping not to have to explain he really didn't listen to rock or keep up with it.

 

Brian saw the moment Justin turned it on, becoming what people wanted him to be. Whereas people expected Brian to trash the room, they expected Justin to fill it with beauty, charm, and style. Justin did that with Emmett and everyone else but Brian for the rest of night. Justin also did one other thing no one noticed, kept Brian's attention. Throughout the night, they'd kept a distance from each other until the end of the evening. Emmett had disappeared, likely finding someone that interested him. And Brian, about to leave, ended up being given a room key, only to find Justin waiting for him, naked. Brian had seen the starfucker look, but that wasn't how Justin looked at him.

 

Brian gave in, just wanting a night with someone who didn't want to fuck him because he was famous, and Justin really had no clue who Brian was. They didn't talk, because in both their minds it was about getting their needs met. By morning neither of them were through with each other but didn't want to admit it was more than what it was.

 

Justin had just broken off a shitty relationship and didn't want to answer to anyone. Brian's life wouldn't allow them any peace if they called it more, or were seen together. Only, one night turned into two, and they kept seeing each other whenever it was convenient for the other. Justin didn't see a problem with keeping it open, because just like Brian, his life was busy. Brian waited for problems to start when stories were leaked about some wild nights when he was away. Justin jokingly sent him a party pack of condoms. Unlike Brian, Justin's life wasn't reported on, but he wasn't holding back either, just not having it published. After the first year, Brian no longer wanted others, just Justin. Something that didn't require a long conversation, just both agreeing to try, and not get upset if the other failed. Somehow, without any pressure neither one of them did.

 

Once they established they were in a relationship, the only condition Brian asked was that he really didn't want to deal with it being made public. Since everything they did would be analyzed and talked about. Brian, having seen what happened to others in the industry, didn't want people picking apart every move they made. Justin liked his anonymity when he wasn't showing. And Brian liked that Justin didn't want to use him to get more attention. Emmett figured it out and kept it to himself. He helped Brian and Justin by making sure Michael was busy on the nights Justin would be in town. Brian had to tell Mel and Lindsay since he wanted Gus and Justin to get to know each other.

 

Mel and Lindsay agreed that Brian had the right to decide who knew about him and Justin. They'd dealt with what Brian's fame did to them when he became famous. Reporters made up all sorts of stories about Brian's relationship with them and Gus. They'd lived with it and understood Brian's fears of anyone knowing about Justin. And what it could do to the life Justin liked living. It was the only reason that Mel and Lindsay finally agreed, for Gus's sake, to live in the gated neighborhood, Brian purchased to protect them and Gus. Mel's career had been on the rise but not quite where it was now, but wasn't at the point that she and Lindsay could afford what Brian could.  Mel put aside her pride and did what was best for Lindsay and Gus. Mel was thrilled to pay Brian back when she and Lindsay were finally able to, and Brian did what he always did, put it away for Gus.

 

It worked for the next year, and Justin gave Gus the time Brian couldn't. No one paid attention when Justin and Gus were together. Gus loved spending time with Brian when they could but hated all the attention his father drew. With Justin, Gus had freedom even being with his mothers didn't give him. Gus only hated that Justin didn't live closer to them. Justin eventually bought a house outside of Pittsburgh to be closer to Gus and the girls. Brian and Justin didn't talk about what Justin's move meant to either of them for a year. Things had already been changing, and they didn't feel the need to do anything but change with it.

 

When they got married it was done with the same ease the rest of the relationship had been done. Justin was in Vermont on vacation with his sister, Brian needing a break and showed up. The next morning Brian woke up wanting to tie Justin to him in every way possible because with Justin he felt normal again. He knew Justin picked the lodge because the lodge provided security to guard their client's privacy. He'd never admit it, but Justin wanted his lover's time with him to be peaceful.

 

"I saw a couple getting married last night." Brian brought up the wedding he had passed by on the way to meet with Justin and Molly at the restaurant.

 

"They have a lot of winter wonderland weddings here," Justin replied, not really thinking much about it, as he drew Brian looking deliciously rumpled.

 

"It just had me thinking. It's something you and I never really talked about." Brian commented, getting up.

 

"I never had anyone I wanted to think about it with," Justin replied, not seeing Brian flinch.

 

"And if you did?" Brian asked.

 

Justin heard something in Brian's voice he'd never heard, as if he was unsure. He looked up at Brian who was standing in front of him.

 

"I'd hope he'd want to marry me," Justin told him the simple truth.

 

"If he did, how would you want to do it?" Brian asked,

 

"The same way we've done everything that's gotten us to this point," Justin told him.

 

A couple of days later they were married, with only the people at the small chapel they found. The next day Brian went back to his tour. And Justin found ways for them to be together, away from the rest of the world wanting a piece of Brian. Brian complained to keep anyone from questioning him and went with Emmett to all of the events Justin attended. Since he and Justin could then sneak off at the end of the night. They both owed Emmett for the many ways he called attention to himself to help them.

 

**************************************

 

Justin got a few snacks for Brian, hoping to get his husband to eat before he slept. He smiled when Brian was already asleep on the bed with a towel around his hips. Justin was just happy that Brian would be home for a couple of months. They didn't have to keep up the facade here, something they both hated doing. Brian asked Justin if he wanted to get away together, but the work it took for Brian to get away wasn't worth it. It's why Justin bought the house. When Brian was in Pittsburgh to rest he couldn't get it in the loft he once loved, between fans, reporters, and his friend Michael. Here was a place no one could link to Brian.

 

**********************************

 

Justin had mixed feelings about Michael. He understood why Brian and Emmett found a place in the band for Michael. Justin understood the loyalty, but they couldn't forever feel like they owed him something. He'd met Michael once when he showed up to an art opening of a friend of Justin's. Michael complained that for once Brian could hang out with him, and spent the rest of the night following in Brian's shadow. Michael wanted to make everyone aware of how important he was to Brian's life. Emmett tried to get Michael to leave Brian alone and spent most of the evening shoving drinks and food at Michael as the man interrupted every conversation that didn't center on his close relationship with Brian. Brian and Justin spent the entire night finding places to hide while Michael stalked around asking where Brian was. At one point Brian and Justin locked themselves in the bathroom, only to have Michael pounding on the door while Brian did his own pounding. Brian left before Justin. But apparently, Michael had been watching the bathroom door. Justin came out only to have Michael follow him.

 

"Do him a favor and don't think it means anything to him," Michael told him, actually sounding like he felt sorry for Justin.

 

"Who?" Justin asks.

 

"Brian. He tricks, nothing else," Michael tells him.

 

"Oh, was that his name? Tell him it was fun," Justin told him, going to talk to a few friends.

 

All night Michael watched Justin and finally seemed satisfied that he had gotten the message. He also ended up getting left behind, since Brian was able to slip away to the suite he and Justin were staying in for the next couple of days. When Michael went looking for Brian, Justin left, smiling that Brian wanted everything else with him.

 

*********************************

 

Justin grabbed his sketch pad and sat next to Brian, running his fingers through his hair. Happy that for the next few months Brian was all his. Brian's phone buzzed continuously, not that it was a surprise since it always did when Michael couldn't find Brian. Only, the text that came in stopped Justin from turning the phone off.

 

Their privacy was over.

 

"I NEED YOU TO CALL ME AND TELL ME THIS IS A LIE!" Michael texted with a link.

 

Justin opened it.

 

"King of Rock Brian Kinney marries Art World Darling Justin Taylor in secret ceremony."