- Text Size +

Corey hated companies that went with shitty video cameras to save a buck, especially when kids were involved. The guy on the tape kept his head down, but they could guess he was average height and weight, and the hair was light but still on the dark side. He looked somewhere between Brian’s and Justin’s ages, which was a guess since they really didn’t have a good view of the guy. The one camera that got a full view of his face was further away and the pixels got worse the closer they got to the face. The owners weren’t thrilled at Corey asking why there wasn’t a camera at the desk where everyone paid, pointing at the people paying versus the cash register. Corey left Carl with the owner as they looked for any more footage, not wanting to discuss anything with the guys in front of anyone else.

 

“I don’t recognize him.” Brian told Corey.

 

“He isn’t on our staff, because I would if he was.” Ted answered.

 

“Nope.” Emmett answered

 

“It isn’t Ethan, or anyone I recognize either. I also really don’t pay attention to people unless they’re buying my work, so if I do know him, I just don’t recognize him.” Justin told him.

 

“Why do you think it could be someone stalking Justin?” Emmett asked, since Corey wanted Justin here.

 

“It’s more that he was here with Justin. It doesn’t make sense that it would be someone stalking Brian since their relationship wasn’t known. If this guy is a stalker, then he would have wanted to be around the guy he obsessed over. Unless he’d seen Justin with Brian somewhere and knew about Gus. But still, why bother to confirm anything about Justin when he wouldn’t have wanted to know they had a relationship? Right now it’s a guess because the guy might not even be anything, except that he came near Gus asking about Justin.” Corey told him.

 

“Without knowing what the guy wanted, it’s better to assume than to ignore it. We’re done for now.” Carl told them.

 

“Let’s just hope the guy was just curious, even though what he said was disturbing.” Emmett told them.

 

“It would be easier if it made sense. None of the bands crazy fan mail refers to the guys as angels.” Ted told them.

 

“If we clean this up maybe we could at least get a better idea of what the guy looks like.” Corey told them.

 

“We don’t have anything that would warrant me asking for copies, but it would save us time if we could get them.” Carl said walking back to the other side of the room to the owner.

 

“We’re happy to help, since we take the childrens’ security very seriously.” The owner told them, worried about the bad publicity if they fought them.

 

“Everytime I brought our son here, I saw that you did. The guy couldn’t have taken Gus from here, and you made sure of that by having employees checking rigorously as we left.” Justin told him, wanting to soften the blow that the camera system wasn’t the best.

 

“It would be smart to get a better system here.” Corey told them.

 

“We don’t want you to think the system we used is unsafe but it was what we could afford at the time.” The owner told them.

 

“Is he dangerous to the other kids here?” The owner asked Corey.

 

“We don’t know if he is, but he did wait in one of the tunnels and question their son.” Corey told him.

 

“Even if he is there’s no way for you identify him with this system.” Brian said, pissed.

 

It didn’t get better when they were leaving the building, since someone had alerted the media that Brian and Emmett were there. Ted went past the crowd, while Corey and his team walked Emmett, Justin, and Brian out, surrounding them as they ignored questions that were shouted at them. Justin didn’t look at the cameras as they tried to get pictures of him with Brian and was in the car first as Emmett followed. Brian was looking around with Corey as they walked to the car. He knew Corey was looking for someone that didn’t fit with the press surrounding them. Corey nodded at him to get in the car, when one reporter shouted a question.

 

“Is it true that you broke with Vanguard Music over Justin Taylor?” She shouted.

 

“Brian, ignore it.” Corey told him, wanting to get them out of there before more people showed up. Brian nodded to Ted and got in the car.

 

“The band was already considering different options before breaking with Vanguard Music. It didn’t feel they best represented Dark Angels’ interest anymore. My clients’ personal relationships had nothing to do with the decision.” Ted said as Brian got in the car.

 

“You also represent Xtreme Misfits, are they also planning to leave Vanguard?” Another reporter asked Ted.

 

“My clients make that decision, not me. If they do I’ll make the statement after talking to them.” Ted told them.

 

“Come on Ted, one clue, since we all know you’re the boss.” A reporter teased.

 

“And all of you know unless my clients want me to talk, I don’t.” Ted told them, getting in the car.

 

“What do you guys plan to do for the rest of the day?” Corey asked them.

 

“I wanted to take them to see something, then they can decide from there.” Ted told him.

 

“Where?” Brian asked.

 

“It’s just something I been doing on and off for a while and with our talk about not going to other labels, it changes my reason for what I was doing.” Ted told them as Corey drove to the address. 

 

The old abandoned theater building wasn’t very impressive and the outside needed a facelift.  The gates surrounding it were new and Corey walked the perimeter looking at it from a security standpoint, only finding Ted listened to him about security. Ted opened the new doors and the first thing they saw was the counter that was once a concession stand. On the side was a work table and plans of the remodeling so far. Justin took off to explore, while Ted wanted Brian and Emmet to see what he had completed. One of the theaters had been gutted, with the sound studio being the first room, with a large area for the band to work, and smaller rooms on the sides for privacy. 

 

“This theater had ten screens, if we need more studios then I have room to add them. I’ve been doing it one area at a time, not sure what to do with the whole building. If we decide to become a label, the front can be turned into offices. The second floor I want to keep for the reason I planned it for. It’s been gutted completely and  turned into an apartment since I planned to live in the building.” Ted told them.

 

“I want to ask why you didn’t tell us, but after the last week… well, let’s just say you don’t owe us any explanation.” Emmett told him.

 

“I really only planned to turn the whole building into apartments. But the idea of being a landlord just sounded like a headache I didn't need, and so I added a studio until I figured out what I wanted to do. With Blake coming here, it gives us a place no one would look for him.” Ted told them.

 

“Sell my house in LA, and use the money to invest in getting this done faster.” Brian told him, leaving to go find Justin.

 

“I really don’t need the New York loft either, but make up for the difference Brian’s house will get and use it.” Emmett told him.

 

“What if other bands don’t think Pittsburgh is where they want to record?” Ted asked, playing devil’s advocate.

 

“Teddy, they’d do it here because of your reputation. You can ask Blake and Ben, a lot of bands see what you did for us and compare it to the things their agents didn’t do for them. It’s funny, you didn’t look for attention being our manager, and got it because you are a great manager. We’re lucky to have you fighting in our corner.” Emmett told him.

 

****************************************

 

The beat was thumping, the drinks were flowing, and the men were watching as new possibilities walked in the door. Michael was vibrating excitement that at least here his reputation was set in stone. Michael walked straight to the backdoor, ignoring the line of waiting people, then was stopped by a doorman at the back entrance when he tried to walk by him. Michael started to get annoyed but he figured the guy wanted to hear about life in the band.

 

“I just need to see your pass.” Don, the doorman asked Michael.

 

“I come here all the time without having to show it.” Michael told him.

 

“If you did I don’t remember, has it been a while?” Don asked since he didn’t remember the guy.

 

“I’ve been on tour, so yes it’s been a while, and you can do yourself a favor by getting out of my way. I don’t want to have to tell your boss you held me up.” Michael told him.

 

“Since I don’t know who you are, all you have to do is show me your pass to use this door and we don’t have to get him involved.” Don told him, wondering if the guy was like all the other idiots who thought they could bullshit him in order to get into the VIP section.

 

“I was trying to do you the favor of not being fired, but why don’t we get Gary to straighten this out. I hate using my clout being a member of Dark Angel, but you obviously didn’t do your job by knowing the VIP’s of this club.” Michael told him, sarcastically.

 

“No problem, your name?” Don asked, calling Gary about ‘Mr Important’.

 

“Michael Novotny.” Michael said with a self important smirk.

 

“Hey, sorry to bother you, I have a Michael… Novotny wanting in the back entrance… No, just him… okay.” Don said hanging up.

 

“Well what are you waiting for? Let me in.” Michael told him impatiently.

 

“Gary is on his way down.” Don told him.

 

“I’ll make sure he knows you’re the one who wouldn’t let me in.” Michael told him.

 

“If you need to.” Don answered him, moving himself and Michael aside to let others in, further pissing Michael off when the asshole kept him from going around him.

 

Gary took his time coming, but only because he never liked the asshole, but put up with him because Brian and Emmett came with him. Gary watched for years as Michael acted as if their popularity rubbed off on him. Well tonight Gary would get to burst his little bubble. Michael puffed up as if ready to complain, but Gary planned to just deal with him, and go back to the hottie waiting in his office.

 

“Sorry about this.” Gary told Don, as Michael acted like Gary said it to him.

 

“Free drinks will make up for it.” Michael told him.

 

“I’m sure it would, since everyone but you picked up your tab, and hopefully where ever you decide to go after leaving here will accommodate you.” Gary told him.

 

“Are you forgetting who I am?!” Michael screeched loudly.

 

“Not a member of the VIP area. Just a guest of the others who brought you. Which means you’re just like everyone else who waits at the line to the front door, with the people that aren’t VIPs of Babylon.” Gary told him.

 

“What do you think Brian will say to this?” Michael threatened.

 

“From what I’ve heard, not much. Especially since they aren’t with you and your not calling them. Why is that?” Gary asked.

 

“I shouldn’t have to call Brian when you know how important I am to him.” Michael told him.

 

“Well unless he calls me, off you go. If you bother Don any longer I’ll let the cops deal with you. Plus, without Brian and Emmett you never really would have gotten past my front door.” Gary told him before going back inside.

 

Michael didn’t even bother with Don, who ignored him, instead he made his way to Woody’s. Talking trash about Babylon as he passed the line of people waiting to get in. Woody’s was packed when he walked in, people pushed by him to leave. Michael waited for people to recognize him as he walked by, but no one even looked at him. At the bar, even the bartender just asked what he wanted, not acting like Michael was different from the normal people here.

 

“My unusual.” Michael spit out.

 

“Which is?” The guy asked him.

 

Michael thought about it, since he normally just drank what was on tap, but he was irritated and decided to choose something better than the normal people.

 

“I’ll take the bottle of Jameson 18 on the top shelf.” Michael told him.

 

“That will be a hundred forty, which has to be paid first.” The bartender told him, not acting like Michael was special.

 

“Planning to get drunk tonight?” Michael heard from behind him.

 

“I just don’t like to drink crap when I can afford better.” Michael told the guy, trying to sound as if he even knew what he ordered.

 

“Why come here?” The guy asked, sitting down next to Michael.

 

“I just needed to get away from the press hounding me and my friends.” Michael told him.

 

“Sounds like you have a story. By the way I’m Ethan.” He said, waiting for Michael to introduce himself.

 

“I’m Michael. Of course I hope you can keep that to yourself since I hate being bothered when I just wanted to have a quiet night. What are you doing here?” Michael asked.

 

“A blind date that didn’t make it past meeting, but things are looking up.” Ethan smirked when Michael seemed to think he was flirting.