- Text Size +

Ethan really didn’t know what to make of Michael Novotny. The guy practically choked down the bottle of whiskey like he was using it to prove a point. Other than the fact that he puked it up in front of everyone, and passed out right in the puke, all Ethan could figure out was that he got the attention he kept insisting he didn’t want. Ethan planned to leave, except when the bartender ran his card it came back denied, so he wouldn’t let him leave. Ethan called the only person he knew, hoping he could bargain with him, since Eric had dragged him to Pittsburgh expecting Ethan ‘to do the right thing’ in Eric’s words. 

 

“Was this your answer to what I asked you to do?” Eric asked, shaking his head in disgust as he looked at Michael than at Ethan. Eric didn’t know why he thought Ethan would finally man up, after seeing how beat to shit Eric was, because Ethan had told a psycho everything about Justin.

 

“I didn’t do this to him, he drank the bottle all on his own.” Ethan protested.

 

“So you decided to sit with him, instead of doing what you were supposed to do?” Eric asked.

 

“No. I heard him shouting outside of Babylon, and one of the guys said he worked for Dark Angel. So I followed him, thinking instead of an agent, I’d try to get a hold of Brian Kinney. I did try, but Michael apparently isn’t the big man that he thinks he is. After he got drunk I tried the numbers on his phone, it’s not my fault that none of the numbers work anymore.” Ethan told him. He had tried all of them, with absolutely no plans to tell Justin that he might have caused him a problem. 

 

“Just admit that you once again tried to get out of the bullshit you caused, because I doubt Brian Kinney wants to talk to you and you knew he’d likely hang up. Good God, no wonder Justin didn’t even seem to care when he found out you and I were screwing around behind his back. He probably felt sorry for me that I fell for your bullshit.” Eric told him.

 

“You didn’t give two shits about Justin when I was screwing you.” Ethan told him, pushing Michael’s groaning ass away from him.

 

“That was a mistake I’ll never make again, because Justin didn’t do what he could have done and have me fired. Instead he let me keep my job, but he withdrew the friendship we once had, which made everything I did even worse because he was worth ten of you. You owe it to him to tell him what you know, even if it bruises your poor little ego to know the only reason people came near you was because of Justin.” Eric told him.

 

“I didn’t know Collier was a psycho.” Ethan complained.

 

“Why don’t you admit the truth; you liked watching guys get jealous because you were with Justin. So you ignored everything that was off about your friend, because it stroked your ego.” Eric said wondering why he ever thought Ethan was just misunderstood.

 

“If your so gung-ho about telling Justin, go for it,” Ethan told him.

 

“I already called the band manager, who is on his way here as we speak,” Eric told him.

 

“Then why do you expect me to do anything when you already did?” Ethan asked.

 

“Because you don’t get to get out of the fact that you told Collier that Justin was living in Pittsburgh,” Eric told him.

 

“I was angry that my agent dropped me, and I spouted out lots of shit that night to Collier. It was just me venting my frustrations to a friend. It pissed me off that Justin had the freedom to do what he wanted while I lost everything.” Ethan whined.

 

“You call Collier your friend, that explains so much about you. Collier dropped your ass the second Justin did. He only paid for shit for you because he could be around Justin, not you. Justin barely knew he was alive and you knew it. You kept him paying for shit you couldn’t afford because he wanted to be around where Justin was. You knew his obsession with Justin wasn’t normal, but hey, you needed a new suit, a penthouse apartment, and someone to pay for the life you pretended you had, so it didn’t matter that Collier is a psycho; just that he kept paying for shit. Then out of jealousy because you think Justin’s career was handed to him, you told the asshole where Justin was.” Eric told him.

 

“How the fuck do you know all that?” Ethan asked.

 

“Because Collier showed up thinking he could blackmail me for information. You didn’t tell him Justin already knew about me. Instead, like the lying asshole you are, you spread it around that Justin bored you. He was a bit pissed off hearing the truth. Apparently, he thinks you’re the reason Justin walked away from him. Which tells you how delusional he is, because part of the reason Justin left was that he was tired of you treating him like a prize to show off.” Eric told him.

 

“I didn’t know Collier would do anything, he’s a wimp.” Ethan said, excusing himself.

 

“He’s a crazy motherfucker who thinks Justin smiling at him meant something personal to him. Of course now he blames you because Justin got married.” Eric told him.

 

“Why would he think that?” Ethan asked, looking nervous.

 

“For the obvious reason. The guy’s got a screw loose. All he kept saying was that you only had one job, and that was to make his Angel happy.” Eric told him, noticing two men standing behind him.

 

“He said those words?” Corey asked.

 

“Yeah, it’s when I knew I needed to say something. If I lose my job, tell Justin I’m sorry for everything.” Eric told him, sitting down at a table and blocking Ethan from getting away.

 

“You were listening in when we were talking to Justin’s agent?” Ted asked, wondering what Michael was doing here.

 

“Justin was my friend at one time, and I screwed it up, not him. I still care about him even though what I did was fucked up. I swear, I didn’t know about Collier when you guys were at the office. He showed up at my apartment, thinking I knew where Brian was hiding Justin from him. I told him the truth, that no one knew where Justin was. Then he lost it and started hitting me. After that he seemed to calm down and told me that Ethan told him Justin was in Pittsburgh. He couldn’t find exactly where and got pissed again when I couldn’t tell him. Then he calmed down and started talking like we were old friends before getting angry again, saying I was lying to him. My neighbor showed up and Collier took off when the neighbor said he’d called the police. I came here dragging Ethan with me, because for once he needs to deal with the mess he made.” Eric told them.

 

“Justin didn’t recognize the guy.” Corey told him.

 

“Justin wouldn’t, when he was with me he only paid attention to me.” Ethan told him, as Michael sat up, puking on him.

 

“What…” Michael barely got out before passing out again.

 

“Sit down, we aren’t through.” Corey told Ethan. Stifling a laugh when Ethan tried to leave, just wanting to get to a shower.

 

“Collier looks really different right now, he cut off his hair. It’s why I didn’t recognize him at first. It was long and frizzy before.” Eric told him.

 

“How well do you know him?” Corey asked.

 

“I really don’t know him, he was always with Ethan. When Justin has private shows I handle the guest list and showing people around. Collier’s invitation was usually at Ethan’s request, and Justin approved it as long as we kept Ethan’s sycophants away from him.” Eric told him.

 

“He supported my music.” Ethan said, as if anyone cared.

 

“You never thought something was odd about him?” Corey asked Eric, ignoring Ethan.

 

“Justin attracts attention, and Collier never directly approached him. He did buy a lot of Justin’s work, and I brushed his interest off as curiosity. A lot of buyers ask about the artist.” Eric told him.

 

“Can I get up and leave now, since Eric obviously didn’t need me to do anything.” Ethan bitched.

 

“Why did you bring him, when you could have just told us yourself?” Ted asked.

 

“Because Ethan doesn’t get to avoid the mess he caused by telling Collier where to find Justin.” Eric told him.

 

“It’s not like Collier couldn’t have hired someone.” Ethan told Eric.

 

“No he couldn’t, and you want to know why? Apparently, Collier’s family knew he was unstable and tried to get him help when he showed up after you and Justin broke up. Collier tried to pay one of the gardners that worked for his parents to kidnap Justin. They were lucky, because the guy came to them and told them. Collier ended up convincing everyone he was over it and was released to his parents, who hushed it up, thinking it was over. They took control of Collier’s trust, so he had to come to them to use it. Which only tells me they didn’t believe anything, just thought they had it under control as long as they controlled his money.” Eric told him.

 

“How do you know all that?” Ted asked.

 

“Collier sat there telling me things like he expected me to understand and help him. I didn’t know what to do, so I just let him keep going, hoping not to get my ass kicked by the psycho. It didn’t work because he got angry again when I told the truth about why Justin broke up with Ethan and it set him off again.” Eric told him.

 

Corey grabbed his phone and pulled up the picture of the guy at the gym, wanting confirmation.

 

“That’s Collier Hartline.” Eric confirmed.

 

“Did he give you any clue about where he was going?” Corey asked.

 

“No. He just ran when my neighbor showed up,” Eric told them.

 

“Ethan?” Corey asked.

 

“No. Now can I get the fuck up before he pukes on me again?” Ethan answered.

 

“I hope you finally get what you deserve.” Eric told Ethan.

 

“He sounds so innocent doesn’t he? He left out that Justin caught me fucking him.” Ethan said, out of spite.

 

“Is that true?” Ted asked.

 

“It wasn’t my finest moment. And I would have told Justin about this but I didn’t have a way to get ahold of him,” Eric told them.

 

“Just a warning Ethan, if anything you gave Collier leads him to Justin, we’ll make sure you get tried as an accessory,” Ted tells him.

 

“Whatever.” Ethan tells him, trying to leave.

 

“You walk out that door without paying your tab and you’ll get to check out the Pittsburgh PD sooner.” The bartender warned as Michael threw up again on the bench Ethan just got up from.

 

“If you want my help, pay the man.” Ethan told them, gagging.

 

“So far nothing about your help impresses me, so have fun.” Ted answered him.

 

“You need to see a doctor?” Corey asked Eric, ignoring Ethan.

 

“I’m okay. Just tell Justin I’m happy for him.” Eric told him, limping away.

 

Ted rolled his eyes as Michael seemed to realize he was there.

 

“I need Brian.” Michael moaned, thinking Brian sent Ted to get him.

 

“Instead you have Ethan. Later.” Ted said, thinking the duo were perfect for each other.


Chapter End Notes:

Collier was the friend in season 3 episode 3. He was the one who Justin smarter off to at the party he went to with Ethan, in case you wondered if he was in the show.