- Text Size +

Brian went to see Ted at the theater since they wanted to talk about the label he was going to start. It was no longer just an idea but was becoming a reality. It helped that a few other managers had called when they were told that not only were both of Ted’s bands were ending their contracts with Vanguard, but also that Ted wasn’t talking to any other label. Ted was being called left and right by others willing to join with him once their bands were out from under their contracts. Brian and Emmett weren’t just going to be one of the bands but also partners in the label with Ted. Which meant they were with Mel hammering out the details and going over the details of what breaking with Vance meant to each band. It just proved once again that Ted was a genius since each band owned the copyrights to their music. Mel laughed because other than both bands having to wait six months before signing with a new label, Vance could do nothing to stop them. This development made Brian and Emmett happy because it gave them more time to spend with their partners. 

 

Justin’s family came to town after being told about Collier, planning to stay for a week and visit. Jen and Craig both worried, even with all the added security Brian assured them Justin had around him. Molly was just happy to hang out with Justin and Daphne and called Brian to tell them that dinner was mandatory that night with the family. Since they were no longer hiding their relationship, they arranged to have dinner with everyone in the private dining room at the hotel. Corey arranged it so they could close off the top level of the garage, and get the guys in without reporters being able to bother everyone. Craig and Jen also wanted to know why they were receiving invitations to events in Pittsburgh with a family they hadn’t heard of.

 

“Sweetheart, do you know the Petersons?” Jen asked Justin.

 

“I know Lindsay, she’s Gus’s mom,” Justin told her.

 

“Are you close to the rest of her family?” Jen asked.

 

“I’ve never met them. Brian doesn’t think much of them from what I can tell. Why?” Justin asked.

 

“They’ve invited us to an engagement party for their daughter, but the name wasn’t Lindsay was it?” Jen asked Craig.

 

“Lynnette was the name my PA told me,” Craig told her, reading the paper.

 

“I have no idea why they’d invite you guys since Brian really has nothing to do with them,” Justin told her.

 

“Maybe it’s because they’re acting like you guys are one big happy family,” Craig told him, handing Justin an article he’d just read.

 

“Shit. Brian’s going to kill Lindsay.” Justin told him, reading the article.

 

Justin couldn’t believe what he was reading, the whole article was written about how close the Petersons were with Brian and Justin, through their grandson Gus Peterson. As Justin read further the article crucified Lindsay for what happened years ago when the news about Gus leaked, while excusing Lynette for being excited about her nephew. They even praised Mel for her success and how they’d always been proud of her. Justin couldn’t believe it when Nancy was quoted as saying she was thrilled to welcome the Taylor family into Pittsburgh society through the Petersons, and how they were thrilled to have an artist joining their family.

 

“It sounds like they’re trying to kiss your ass,” Daphne told him.

 

“And trying to force us to be involved,” Craig commented.

 

“Too bad it won’t work. They dug this hole.” Jen told them.

 

Brian answered when Craig called since they were finished with the meeting. He’d planned to go over before dinner to spend time with Justin’s family. He also wanted to invite Deb since it was time for her to meet Justin. He hadn’t been avoiding Deb because of Michael, but so she wouldn’t have to deal with the press at her doorstep. Craig and Jen were interested in meeting Brian’s pseudo-mother after he talked about his childhood with them. After speaking with Craig Brian went to find the paper, reading the article and wondering what the hell Lindsay’s mother and sister were thinking. Ted shook his head as he read the article that was practically kissing Justin’s family’s ass.

 

“Are you kidding me?” Mel asked, reading it.

 

“I guess finding out who Justin’s family is got them over their homophobia,” Brian told her.

 

“Mel, if Lindsay knew about this she should have told us,” Ted told her.

 

“She’s been home for the most part until yesterday. We all knew she’d be upset with how Gus would be exchanged now. She wasn’t happy with me when I agreed with you guys. I know she went over to help Lynette with wedding number four, and she was upset when she came back, so I can’t say she didn’t know.” Mel told them, honestly.

 

“It’s not going to get her family what they want. Justin’s family isn’t going to care if they make the Peterson’s look like idiots.” Brian told her.

 

“Is Justin’s family that big of a deal?” Mel asked.

 

“Jen and Craig come from two big families, and I’ve seen people around them be careful not to piss them off. Compared to Lindsay’s family, they’re a huge step up.” Brian told her.

 

“I’m surprised they didn’t have a coronary about you and Justin getting married,” Ted told him.

 

“They really couldn’t say much since Justin does what he wants. The fact that my net worth is bigger than Justin’s took away any argument they had about prenups. Craig wasn’t jumping with joy but realized I didn’t care if he did. I didn’t marry Justin because he was a Taylor. I married him just because he was Justin.” Brian told them.

 

“If we’re done, I need to find out what Lindsay knows about this,” Mel told them.

 

“Let her know Justin’s family isn’t going to play into what they want,” Brian told her.

 

*********************************************************

 

Michael gazed in the mirror, looking at the new cut and color. Collier had pushed him to bleach out his hair and Michael agreed after seeing pictures of Justin. Brian seemed to be interested in blonds lately and Michael agreed when Collier suggested he become a blond. The clothes caused an argument only because Collier tried to throw away Michael’s comic-inspired shirts. Even in the cargo’s Collier seemed disappointed that Michael didn’t fill them out the right way, which Collier didn’t explain, only showed Michael photos that were creepy if he hadn’t been busy telling Collier everything wrong with Justin. The only thing Michael couldn’t criticize was the food that Collier ordered, not knowing they were ones Collier knew Justin liked. Michael started to shovel in the pasta as Collier was reading the paper.

 

Collier planned to bring Michael to meet his family as his boyfriend, since his mother sounded relieved when he told her about Michael. She promised to talk to his father and Collier knew they’d once again give him access to his trust, now that they believed he wasn’t obsessed over Justin. 

 

Collier knew they thought he’d once again gotten overly attached to someone. They didn’t get that Justin was different than Collier’s math tutor. Collier couldn’t even remember anymore why he wanted the older man, just that he didn’t like being told he couldn’t have what he wanted, even after Mr Murphy explained that he needed to keep his hands to himself. Then being told he couldn’t go near Mr Murphy after Collier broke into his house, and upset when his parents told him that the teacher had told them about Collier’s unwanted advances. Collier ended up with a therapist, and Mr Murphy left the area when he wouldn’t stay away. 

 

Collier moved on when he saw Justin at one of his first art shows. Collier couldn’t look away, because Justin looked like an angel that night. Collier spent the next year learning everything he could about Justin and finding ways to be near him. Ethan’s greed made it easier, even when Justin barely acknowledge Collier. Collier was just happy to be in the same room with Justin. Collier looked at Michael’s newly blond hair and it wasn’t right yet, but it would be. Collier was reading the article the Peterson family did, his mind forming a way he could get closer to Justin through them. 

 

“Do you know the Petersons?” Collier asked Michael.

 

“Gus’s mother Lindsay is part of that family. They barely tolerate Lindsay and acted like Brian being Gus’s dad was ruining the blue in their blood.” Michael told him.

 

“According to this article, it sounds like that’s changed. My mother could get us invited to the country club, and introductions to the Petersons.” Collier told him.

 

“Why would we want to do that?” Michael asked.

 

Collier looked at Michael like that should be obvious. “If Brian and Justin are going to be attending functions with them, we need a way to be invited to them. The Peterson’s sound like social climbers, and they’d welcome the Hartline’s as well as the Taylors.” Collier tells him.

 

“Aren’t you worried about the bodyguard thing?” Michael asked since he knew Corey.

 

“What can they say? That I talked to the kid? I haven’t done anything they can really do anything about. If the Peterson’s invite us, there’s no reason we shouldn’t attend. We need to work on a few things with you before first.” Collier tells him.

 

“Why?” Michael asked.

 

“There are just certain things you do that wouldn’t be acceptable in polite society,” Collier told him.

 

“Like what?” Michael asked with his mouth full.

 

“First don’t talk until after you swallow, next it’s a fork, not a shovel. The napkin is there in place of your sleeve, use it.” Collier told him.

 

“Why the fuck does it matter how I eat!?” Michael screeched.

 

“It just does. Also, I need you to act as though your feelings for Brian are actually how you feel about me.” Collier told him.

 

“Why?” Michael asked, ignoring Collier’s glare at the fork in Michael’s hand.

 

“If my parents believe I’ve given up on Justin, money won’t be an issue. Which won’t work if every word out of your mouth is about another man. If everyone believes in our relationship, you won’t have to keep paying for things like you are now, because I’ll have access to my trust fund.” Collier tells him.

 

“As long as you pay me back. What you spent in the last two days is more than half of what I have left.” Michael told him.

 

“I’ll need the rest until my allowance is dispersed since we’re going to the opera tonight. ” Collier told him.

 

“Why would we go to the opera?” Michael said looking horrified.

 

“Because the Petersons will be there,” Collier told him.