- Text Size +

Deb understood why Brian and Emmett hadn’t contacted her. She was just grateful they didn’t blame her for the crap Michael had been doing. Brian called to let her know she’d be meeting not just Justin, but his family, which made her want to make a good impression on them. Deb left work early, deciding to buy a new outfit, not wanting to embarrass Brian in front of his in-laws. Deb cheated a little and read up on Justin’s family and worried she’d feel out of place with people who mingled with politicians and other well-to-do families. She was actually thrilled to see Lindsay wandering around the upscale shop she’d decided to try. Lindsay looked miserable when Deb caught up to her, but tried to act like nothing was wrong when questioned.

 

“My family as usual. What are you doing here?” Lindsay asked, hoping Deb would let it go.

 

“Brian asked me to come meet his in-laws tonight and I didn’t want to show up looking out of place.” Deb told her.

 

“I didn’t know Justin’s family was here.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Brian just told me about it, so maybe they surprised them.” Deb said when Lindsay looked upset.

 

“Is it just you or did they invite everyone?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Brian didn’t tell me, he just called and asked if I wanted to come. Is everything okay with you and Brian?” Deb asked.

 

Lindsay broke down in tears, the stress of everything lately getting to her. Deb walked them out of the store, deciding she’d wear one of her dresses from home since it looked like Lindsay needed someone to talk to. Deb offered to take Lindsay to her house, but she insisted she needed to get back to her house because she’d left Gus with the bodyguard. Deb took Lindsay’s keys and put her in the passenger seat, not saying anything as she drove them to Lindsay’s house. Lindsay tried to say she was fine but as usual Deb bulldozed over her, and waited until the bodyguard agreed to stay upstairs before she tried to get the blonde to tell her what was wrong.

 

“It’s been really stressful lately. Between my family, Brian keeping things from me, and Mel deciding not to have the baby we both wanted, I’m just a mess.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Honey, your family isn’t going to change, and you know it. You need to stop letting them make you feel like everything you do is wrong. As for Brian keeping things from you, you can’t expect your friendship to stay the same, since your both married now. Brian has to put Justin first, which you should understand because you have Mel. If you and Mel want another baby, it will happen when it’s right for both of you.” Deb told her.

 

“It gets worse. My family did an interview which I’m sure is about to be blamed on me.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Why would Brian and Mel blame you for something your family did?” Deb asked.

 

“It’s the reason Gus was outed- because I got angry and told them about Brian being Gus’s father. Only I didn’t tell them anything about Brian or Justin. I had no idea until my mother told me yesterday that they did an interview. My mother is pressuring me to get Justin’s family to come to Lynette’s wedding.” Lindsay told her.

 

“She can pressure all she wants, you don’t have to do anything she wants you to do.” Deb told her.

 

“Deb, she’s threatening to tell Mel something I don’t think she could forgive me for.” Lindsay said, needing help.

 

“Even if Mel can’t forgive you, you can’t let someone blackmail you.” Deb told her.

 

“I don’t want to lose Mel over one night of stupidity.” Lindsay commented.

 

“You’ll lose her anyway if she finds out from your mother when Brian won’t do what she wants him to do. If they were the ones who caused the shit with Gus, nothing will make him do anything they want. Whatever it is Lindsay, do Mel a favor and tell her yourself. Don’t give your mother that much power over you.” Deb told her.

 

“Mel wouldn’t understand that I slept with a man.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Did you love him?” Deb asked.

 

“No. We were fighting, then one thing led to another, and afterwards I just wanted to forget it happened. We were alone, so I didn’t think anyone would ever have to know about it. I only saw Sam one more time and neither of us wanted anything to do with the other. It was a stupid mistake, that somehow my mother knows about. So she’s using it to get me to help with Justin’s family.” Lindsay told her.

 

“And if she doesn’t have to use it this time then she’ll use it the next time she wants you to do something. That’s how blackmail works. Deb, could you do us a favor and take Gus with you, I think Lindsay and I need to talk. Also, could you do me a favor and let my clients know why they’ll be bothered by the Petersons.” Mel said, walking into the kitchen.

 

Lindsay wanted to run from the room when Mel calmly sat across from her. She didn’t know what to make of the way Mel didn’t shout or glare. Deb hugged Mel and Lindsay before going to get Gus, hoping that they could find a way to work this out.

 

*********************************************

 

Brian laughed as Gus ran off to find Justin when Deb brought him in. Corey had let Brian know that Deb had Gus with her, but he didn’t have a clue why Mel and Lindsay sent him with her. 

 

“I wanted to give Lindsay and Mel a chance to talk without Gus having to hear it. It might be better if Gus stays with you for a while.” Deb told him.

 

“Is everything okay?” Brian asked her.

 

“I don’t know if it will be, but when I left they were at least talking. I need to talk to you about Lindsay’s family and what she told me.” Deb told him.

 

“Let me get Ted over here while you go introduce yourself to Justin and Drew.” Brian told her, leading her to Justin’s family.

 

Deb wasn’t sure of her welcome when she walked over, but Justin got up, pulling a chair out next to him for her. His mother smiled and his father turned from his conversation with Molly when Justin introduced her. Deb decided not to avoid the issue of her son, and apologized to Justin and Drew.

 

“Do you do that a lot? Apologize for someone else?” Jen asked.

 

“If you knew my son the way I do you’d apologize for giving birth to him too.” Deb commented.

 

“Deb, we don’t blame you for your son’s mouth.” Emmett told her.

 

“Brian said you needed to talk to us?” Ted asked, sitting down with Blake.

 

“I didn’t want you guys to wonder why Nancy Peterson might try to contact you. I would have let Mel or Lindsay tell you but right now I think they have their own problems to deal with. Nancy was trying to blackmail Lindsay into introducing your family to them.” Deb told them.

 

“Did she know about the article?” Brian asked.

 

“Lindsay said she was told about it yesterday. But I think she was worried more about how to tell Mel that she had… I guess we could call it ‘a trick’ with some artist that showed at her gallery. It’s so hard to believe anyone could treat their kid the way Nancy treats Lindsay.” Deb told them, shaking her head.

 

“Lindsay still hasn’t realized marrying Mel was the end of her hopes that they’d ever approve of anything she did.” Brian told her.

 

“It’s hard for me to understand that. There are a lot of things about Michael I can’t be proud of, but something he couldn’t change wasn’t one of them.” Deb told them.

 

“If I could have changed that Justin was gay, I’d have tried. It wasn’t just that I don’t understand the attraction, it was wanting Justin to have the things in life that being gay would deny him. It took awhile for me to figure out my son wasn’t going to let anything limit him. I’m making an effort to get to know Brian as more than my son’s boyfriend then husband. I stopped worrying about them being gay and just wanted to make sure Justin was happy. It sounds like the Peterson’s only care about what their kids can do for them socially. I’m with you, I couldn’t image using either Justin or Molly to gain connections.” Craig told her.

 

“Have you seen Michael?” Ted asked, planning to check on Mel later.

 

“Other than the first day at the diner, he’s stayed away. Have any of you seen him?” Deb asked.

 

“I saw him when Corey and I went to find out about Justin’s stalker. Which I wanted to talk to you about, since we need to know if you see him around.” Ted told her, passing her pictures of Collier.

 

“Are you okay?” Deb asked Justin, looking at the picture she’d been handed.

 

“I really don’t even know him.” Justin answered.

 

“We know the family, but it’s not a close association.” Jen told her.

 

“If you see him, just call Corey or Ted, don’t try to deal with him.” Brian told her.

 

“Can’t you just get a restraining order?” Deb asked.

 

“He hasn’t done anything. Until he does there’s nothing that can be done. It’s the same thing I’ve dealt with anytime the guys had overzealous fans. Until they do something we can prove, nothing can be done.” Ted told her.

 

“Like you guys didn’t have enough crap going on because of Michael.” Blake said, not willing spare Deb’s feelings.

 

*****************************************

 

Michael was bored out of his mind. Why would anyone want to sit there listening to music that didn’t make any sense? Collier watch Nancy Peterson all night, making Michael wonder why it was so important to be here if he didn’t just go up and introduce himself. Collier made it sound like his family name was all he needed, but so far no one seemed to give two shits when Collier introduced himself. 

 

Michael ran for the bar at intermission, hoping to find a way out of having to stay for the rest of the night. Michael watched as Collier wandered around the group with Lindsay’s family in it, and was ignored by them. Michael rolled his eyes and elbowed his way through the crowd, standing behind Nancy tapping her shoulder. Nancy handed him her empty glass and ignored him.

 

Collier rolled his eyes, wishing he could have left Michael at the hotel, since he’d been bitching and whining all night. Collier stayed outside the circle, pretending interest in other conversations, until finally someone whispered in Nancy’s ear, and Nancy looked over at Collier. She separated from her group and came over to Collier.

 

“I was told a we have a Hartline in our midst.” Nancy said, holding out her hand.

 

“And you are?” Collier asked, taking Nancy off guard.

 

“Nancy Peterson. I think I’ve met your mother Maria.” Nancy told him.

 

“I’ll have to ask her, and let her know I’ve met you. She plans to be here next week.” Collier told her.

 

“Are you planning on staying in the area too?” Nancy asked.

 

“For the foreseeable future. One of my friends is thinking of settling in the area. Justin Taylor.” Collier told her.

 

“Why don’t you join my party, since we have something in common.” Nancy asked him.

 

“I’d love to.” Collier told her, as Michael walked over to them.

 

“Did you tell her I am Brian Kinney’s best friend?” Michael asked.

 

Nancy didn’t look impressed at Michael’s pronouncement and once again ignored him, wanting to know all about Collier and his friendship with Brian Kinney. 

 

“My daughter’s engagement party is next week, we’d love it if you and your mother could attend.” Nancy suggested to Collier.