- Text Size +

Brian learned never to stand in Justin’s way when he was determined to do something. It wasn’t like Brian didn’t know what Lindsay did the other day, starting a fight with him. It was her usual avoidance of anything that she didn’t want to deal with. The problem was Justin didn’t like anything that hurt Brian or Gus, and he refused to let Lindsay get away with using Brian. Something that in the past caused problems in Brian’s life. It was the reason Michael stayed in Brian’s life as long as he did. It took Justin showing Brian that relationships weren’t about what someone could get out of you. A relationship shouldn’t be about anything but loving each other and wanting the best for each other. 

 

It’s why Brian grew closer with Emmett than he had ever been with Lindsay and Michael; because Emmett didn’t expect anything for doing what he felt friends did for each other. It’s also why Brian didn’t hide anything about his life with Justin from Emmett. Brian also understood and wasn’t upset with Emmett for hiding his relationship with Drew from him. Because Emmett didn’t owe Brian anything and had the right to keep what he wanted from him. 

 

Actually, Emmett had it far worse than Brian did, since there was little to say about Brian and Justin’s life, other than the usual crap that fascinated people. So far reporters were being extremely careful about only printing the truth, and Brian knew he had Jen and Craig to thank for that. No one wanted to get on the wrong side of Justin’s family. Which Nancy managed to do just by welcoming Collier to all her events. What was hilarious in itself was that she was now putting up with Michael, who didn’t know how to fit into those circles. Brian wondered how Nancy managed to overlook everything that was Michael as he seemed to bungle his way into pissing off everyone around him. Something the man did regularly during the time he worked for Brian and Emmett. Although right now, Brian was more worried about Justin’s anger towards Lindsay for causing Brian to worry about Gus.

 

Justin didn’t do anything stupid. He let Corey do his job in getting Justin to Lindsay and Mel’s house. He wasn’t going to make anything easy for Collier and Michael, plus he really wasn’t sure what Collier’s game was. As far as Justin was concerned Collier was a coward since all he seemed to do was try to get near Justin. But that didn’t mean Justin was going to underestimate Collier’s obsession with him. When nothing seemed to worry Corey, he waved Justin to follow him into the girls’ house. Mel looked like she hadn’t slept much and hugged Justin before walking into her office, leaving him to do what he came here to do. Lindsay on the other hand, wasn’t happy to see Justin standing in her living room. Justin knew it was because Lindsay wasn’t sure how to handle him, the way she tried to handle everyone else. She sat sipping her tea, pretending she didn’t have a clue why Justin would be pissed at her.

 

“Do you know what I’m really tired of?” Justin asked her.

 

“No. Since your life is everything you ever wanted it to be, what would you have to be tired of?” Lindsay questioned.

 

“I can’t say you’re wrong about that, but dealing with all the supposed friends of Brian is what I’m tired of. I’m tired of having to watch him wonder about his judgment of the people he thought loved him, then disappointed him. Which is why he didn’t want you to know about anything that involved me in his life.” Justin told her.

 

“I welcomed you into every part of my life.” Lindsay pointed out.

 

“As long as it kept Brian in your life. Something that having Gus did for you. Which doesn’t make a lot of sense if your goal was to have a family with Mel.” Justin told her.

 

“We wanted children, so yes, it was MY goal. Only, when we wanted to do it again, somehow my letting you have the time you wanted with Gus became the reason Mel no longer wanted to expand our family.” Lindsay told him.

 

“Are we really going to play this game with each other?” Justin asked her.

 

“What game?” Lindsay asked.

 

“The one where you avoid everything in order to not have to deal with your insecurities.” Justin answered.

 

“You couldn’t understand what it’s like.” Lindsay replied.

 

“No, I couldn’t, because I don’t give a shit what anyone thinks about me or the way I choose to live my life. If my parents didn’t accept me, that wasn’t going to change anything about what I did or wanted.” Justin told her, hoping to get through to Lindsay before she ruined everything in her life.

 

“Why would you care? You got everything you wanted in your life, including my son.” Lindsay spat.

 

“You think I’m replacing you in some way?” Justin asked.

 

“Brian used to talk to me, but now he acts like I’m no one to him.” Lindsay told him.

 

“I wasn’t here when that started Lindsay. For once take the blame for what you did. It wasn’t about anything but you wanting approval from your family in any way you could get it. You didn’t care who got hurt. You just hoped it would make you look better than your sister for once. Why are you competing with her when you’ve already won?” Justin asked her.

 

“She gets everything, and I’ve won?” Lindsay questioned.

 

“What did she get, other than divorced and the knowledge that eventually her looks won’t keep her from facing a life alone when there’s nothing left to attract another husband into giving up half his bank account for the privilege of dealing with the ice queen in training? Do you even see what you have, versus what she never will? Do you get that Mel is trying but will give up if you don’t help her understand what made you do what you did to her?” Justin asked, waiting to see if any of it got through to Lindsay.

 

“She did it once too.” Lindsay said, as if it was all that mattered.

 

“Which you both managed to work through. Something Mel is trying to do with you. Only you’re using my husband to avoid dealing with your own mess. Understand something about me, when it comes to things that hurt or worry Brian, I’m not going to sit back and avoid it. What you did didn’t help you in any way. Instead, it made Brian consider how he saw Gus’ future if you and Mel can’t work this out.” Justin told her.

 

“There is nothing that would change for Brian if Mel left me.” Lindsay told him.

 

“But everything would change for you since Brian trusts Mel more than you. You keep acting like this is some sort of punishment for what happened with Gus, but it’s because Mel gave him a reason to trust her when everything you do seems to be about pretending how none of it was your fault. Why not for once take responsibility and own that you fucked up with Mel, and find out that she’s nothing like the family that wouldn’t accept you as you are. The alternative is that you end up alone. Because Brian won’t help you fix the shit you caused.” Justin told her.

 

“Yet he’s okay with the shit you brought into Gus’ life.” Lindsay struck back, hurt that everything Justin said was the truth.

 

“I’m not okay with the fact that some asshole thinks he has some right to any part of my life. I do blame myself for not protecting Gus from a person I didn’t know has an unhealthy obsession with me. Is that what you need to hear? That I’m having nightmares about what could have happened to Gus if Collier realized how much I love that boy? Do you need to hear that I agree with you that Gus needs to be protected from anything being around me could do to him? Only, Gus being around you when you won’t just simply admit to your partner you fucked up and trying to work it out isn’t in Gus’ best interest. Because you’ll use your son to avoid talking to Mel, the way you tried to use Brian last night.” Justin rolled his eyes as Lindsay actually looked surprised that Brian saw through what she did. “What you did last night wasn’t what you hoped, instead, all it did was make Brian consider whether or not you’re the best person to raise Gus.” 

 

“I love Gus.” Lindsay told him.

 

“Then prove it and fix what you did to Mel.” Justin answered.

 

“How, when I don’t have a real reason for what I did? I didn’t want Sam, we were fighting and then we were fucking, that’s all it was. When I came home all I wanted to do was forget it ever happened, and for a while I thought no one would ever know about it.” Lindsay told him, as Mel stood in the doorway.

 

“Then how did your family know about it?” Mel asked.

 

“I don’t know.” Lindsay answered her.

 

“They know because they wanted to make sure nothing Lindsay did tainted their lives. If Lindsay did anything they made sure they knew about it. It’s what families that have things to hide do. Which should tell you exactly what you are to them, Lindsay. Your mother used the one thing that could ruin your life to help her and your sister. While you sit here ruining everything with Mel, who accepted you for everything they couldn’t. It’s time for you to decide where your loyalties lie; with a family who is willing to fuck up your life for a step up in their social circle or with the woman who does everything she can to give you the life you’ve never had with your family. While you decide that, you also need to know that I won’t let you use my life to hurt my husband. While you two decide what you’re doing, Brian and I will be taking Gus with us on vacation. And if you two can work through this than Lindsay can call Brian so he can decide what will happen when it comes to Gus.” Justin told them, getting up to leave with Corey.

 

“What about Collier?” Lindsay asked, thinking of a way to help.

 

“My mother’s about to deal with that problem, and if you want to help, go to her,” Justin answered.

 

*******************************************

 

Michael gingerly got out of the bed, knowing he needed to get away from Collier. He managed to get out of the room without waking Collier up. Michael couldn’t believe he slept with Collier and let him pretend he was Justin for the night. Which at first sounded like fun in his drunken state; until Collier tied him up and started punishing him for his betrayal in marrying Brian. Then it was like a switch flipped and Collier was whipping Michael for not keeping Brian from wanting Justin. Michael wasn’t against role-playing, but what Collier did wasn’t playing when he fucked Michael over and over, screaming Justin’s name as he came. Then he got angry when it was still Michael tied up underneath him. Collier untied Michael before falling asleep, which is the moment he should have gotten away from the asshole, who could never be Brian for Michael; pretend or otherwise. Instead, Michael decided to rest before he demanded Collier pay him back, then he’d leave. Only Michael knew that until Collier’s parents arrived there wasn’t any reason to stick around. He was almost to the door when he realized he had nowhere to go. Collier used up all of Michael’s money and so far Collier’s parents hadn’t given him the money he was supposed to pay Michael back with. Michael didn’t have anyone to call, since everyone treated him like he betrayed Brian and Emmett.

 

Collier came out of the bedroom, barely paying any attention to Michael as he spoke on his phone. Michael listened as Collier sounded less than happy at what he was hearing, when he threw the phone at the wall, Michael knew he should have left before Collier woke up.

 

“What?” Michael asked, when Collier looked like he wanted to hit something.

 

“My parents had a talk with Jennifer Taylor and your mother. Which means I’ll have to convince them I’m here because of you.” Collier told him.

 

“What’s the problem?” Michael asked since that was what Collier told him they had to do.

 

“Nothing, except we both have to stay with them until we convince them or I have to agree to be committed again,” Collier answered, angry.

 

“Committed? Again?” Michael asked.

 

“My old therapist thinks I get unnaturally obsessed with people, they just don’t understand that Mr Murphy and Justin just needed time to see I was what they wanted. It’s like Brian for you; he just doesn’t see that he shouldn’t have wanted anyone but you. My parents will only give me money if we both talk to the therapist they hired and convince him we want each other.” Collier told him.

 

“Any idea who the therapist is?” Michael asked.

 

“Nope, just some guy suggested by your mother. Do you know Alex Wilder?” Collier asked.