- Text Size +

As Lindsay drove away from the club and her mother and sister’s increased irritation at the way people were treating Lynette’s wedding like the last place anyone wanted to be, she had a revelation. One that had taken all her life to figure out. Her mother didn’t rule the world around her, she was just one of the players who thought she did. Something that was becoming obvious as the wedding got closer and people were sending regrets, not caring that Nancy Peterson expected everyone to attend. It wasn’t like Lindsay didn’t know her mother was a bitch, although for years people feared her enough to kiss her ass. Only that wasn’t happening now, instead, they were flocking to the new queen of the country club, Jennifer Taylor, even though she wasn’t a member. Unlike Nancy, Jennifer Taylor was nice. She also didn’t look down on anyone in the club, regardless of their status. She’d even included Lindsay in conversations, gushing about Gus and Lindsay being part of her family. Jennifer didn’t mention Nancy or Lynette as they stood on the outside of the circle of admirers. Jennifer also didn’t sling mud in their direction, only saying she was sorry she couldn’t include them in the events she had planned since that risked the security of her family. Lindsay had never seen her mother so close to losing it, but Nancy Peterson was known for keeping her composure. Although she managed to look as if she was sucking lemons the whole evening. 

 

Jennifer didn’t act like a vacation on a private island was a big deal. It was just the time they were able to spend with their children and grandson. They made sure everyone heard how proud they were of having Gus in their life. Which wasn’t something Nancy had ever done beyond the first mention of accepting Lindsay’s lifestyle and she continued to say ‘the child’ instead of Gus’s name.  Lindsay knew Nancy thought she could get away with it, since in the past people were still kissing her ass. 

 

It didn’t help that Lindsay’s father, Ron, wasn’t thrilled as the cost of the wedding was outdoing the last two of Lynette’s weddings. The fact that Ron even bothered to say anything was new in their world. He usually just handed over the credit cards and spent time anywhere but in the company of the women in his life. Only this time he asked to talk to Lindsay privately, wanting to know what the hell was going on. Lindsay knew he asked her because she couldn’t make his life miserable the way Nancy and Lynette could.

 

Lindsay had explained it all from the beginning, including her mother’s threat about Sam. She made a point of explaining how the inclusion of Michael and Collier to Lynette’s events were causing a backlash, and in the end, figured out the only thing Ron Peterson cared about was being embarrassed in front of his golf buddies. He didn’t care that his wife blackmailed his daughter, or that Lynette’s wedding was going to be a ghost town. He cared they’d be the laughing stock of the society they thought they ruled over. He cared that his invitations to events with the other men were drying up. After that conversation, Lindsay was subjected to Lynette’s complaints of how Lindsay should think about how this affected Lynette. It was supposed to be her day, not a day of having to listen to people gush over Gus. Nancy joined in, complaining about the way people forgot her opinion mattered and that she was going to make sure everyone felt her disapproval. Lindsay walked off, only to be stopped one more time at her car by Craig Taylor. He let her know if she needed someone to talk to he and Jennifer were there to listen without judgment. 

 

“Why, all I’ve done was hurt everyone who mattered in my life?” Lindsay asked, completely confused at the offer.

 

“Because we all make mistakes and need to know there is someone out there who doesn’t judge you by what you did, but by what you’re doing to make it right. It’s not an easy thing when you feel like you don’t have anyone to listen to you.” Craig told her.

 

“I’m not sure they’ll listen anymore, even if I change,” Lindsay answered.

 

“You won’t know if you don’t try. The first step is being truthful with yourself and the reason your life isn’t what you thought it should be. Then tell the people you hurt or betrayed the truth, not what you think will be the easy way out of the problems you made for yourself.” Craig told her, seeing what his children could have been like if he’d been the kind of parent Lindsay’s were.

 

“I wanted their approval,” Lindsay told him, waving at her parents who were quietly arguing with each other in their car. “I told myself I didn’t want to be like them, yet here I am just as selfish as they are.”

 

“What are you going to do to fix it? Because I have a feeling that’s the only thing any of the people in your life will accept at this point. It’s time for you to do the work to fix what you broke.” Craig told her.

 

“I don’t think sorry will work with either Mel or Brian,” Lindsay told him.

 

“Definitely not with Brian. He doesn’t really care about words, just your actions.” Craig told her, smiling at the day he figured out Brian only cared what you showed him, not a few words that didn’t mean more than the time it took to say them.

 

“Which right now isn’t as important as Mel is to me. She deserves the loyalty she’s always shown me and everyone else. She’s always dealt with everything I threw at her and still loved me through it all. Yet, I can’t even tell her the truth… I don’t want to tell her the truth. Everything I did was about my wants and needs.” Lindsay told him.

 

“You’re on the right track. You know the problem, know who should be important, and all that’s left is where you take it from there.” Craig told her, hoping he helped since this was normally Jennifer’s job in their relationship. 

 

“Gus should have been more important than wanting to make my sister jealous.” Lindsay added, not really talking to Craig.

 

“I’m glad you see it because that’s the one area I wasn’t happy about,” Jennifer commented walking over.

 

“I need to get going but thank you for… well, just listening.” Lindsay told them, getting in the car.

 

Lindsay looked at her parents hiding in their car arguing, then to the Taylors who walked arm in arm, still in love with each other. There was still a small part of her that wanted to go and try to help her mother and father, but instead, she started her car and drove to the restaurant where Mel said she be meeting up with friends.

 

Things were still strained between them, but not because Mel wasn’t trying. It was Lindsay not wanting to deal with anything that could be laid at her door and knowing she didn’t deserve Mel still trying. Lindsay took her time driving around, thinking, really thinking about her life and the fact that she wanted her parents approval and selfishly could have hurt her son to get it. It wasn’t a pretty moment to figure out how the only thing her parents really taught her was to be selfish and to step over anyone to get to the top. 

 

It’s the reason Mel didn’t impress them. Mel wasn’t willing to hurt people to get what she wanted. Instead, she worked her ass off and gained what she did because clients trusted her integrity. Mel didn’t name drop with clients or anyone else, she showed them what she was worth and left them to decide if they wanted her. Lindsay wasn’t sure what Mel saw in her. Lindsay wanted people to flock around her, not really ever having real friends because it was all superficial. Mel on the other hand, kept a core group of friends and still had all of them and could depend on them as well as they knew they could depend on her. The worst thing for Lindsay was seeing Brian join the group surrounding Mel. Mel didn’t ask him any questions unless Brian offered them, while Lindsay sat around demanding them like they were her right. And all that caused was Brian pulling further and further away, only bothering with Lindsay because of the son they shared. 

 

Lindsay pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant but didn’t get out of the car. She wasn’t ready to socialize when her mind was a mess. She had a lot of things she needed to fix. First being her relationship with Mel; and Gus needed a mother who only saw him, not Brian. Brian only asked her to be the mother she promised him she’d be. It said a lot that it was all Brian asked, he didn’t treat his contribution as something to hold over Lindsay or Mel, he just wanted Gus to have the life none of them really had. It was Lindsay who saw Gus as an opportunity to keep Brian in her life. She knew he’d make it one day and wanted to know he wouldn’t forget about her. God, how selfish was she really? Brian wasn’t someone who forgot the people he loved, yet she tried to use Gus to ensure her inclusion in his life. Lindsay almost hated when Brian became famous, because it drove them further apart, as the people in his circle didn’t really include her. What did she think would happen, that he’d let her hang around like a groupie? Facing the truth wasn’t fun but she could admit she dreamed of being on his arm at events. It made her see how closely she was starting to resemble Michael. It’s something that really said a lot for her, to be compared to Michael by the way she’d been acting. Not that anyone said it, but she was being honest with herself and couldn’t act like the thoughts weren’t there all the time.

 

Lindsay resented Michael, she resented being the one who sat at home losing her freedom while they all lived a lifestyle she didn’t. No one knew that she was one of Brian’s closest friends, and she resented it. She knew Brian was just trying to protect Gus’ life from the bullshit that came with fame, but she only saw it as Brian forgetting about her. Brian gave her and Mel everything, and yet she wanted more and treated Brian like he owed it to her. Lindsay winced, hating everything that showed her how much she had in common with the man she thought of as an albatross to Brian. And knew for all her denial over the years, she wasn’t any better. Only now Brian wasn’t her first concern, Mel and Gus needed to be in that position. Did she love Mel, or just the idea of Mel? Lindsay thought about it and couldn’t see her life without Mel, yet it was where she was headed if she didn’t value the woman who loved her, warts and all. Lindsay knew it was time to stop trying to deflect what she did with Sam, and really admit why she did it.

 

Sam was her way of punishing Mel for gaining the approval and respect of Brian. She didn’t consciously think ‘this is what you get for winning my best friend’ that day, she was angry and didn’t give a shit how it affected anyone. Brian had called, sounding irritated with her for not just handing the phone to Mel, then hung up when Lindsay specifically asked him to make time to talk to her. Mel tried to explain that Brian was busy and just needed some advice on a contract. Lindsay didn’t care and was angry that he made time for Mel and Gus and not her. So when Sam was willing to argue, she let out all her frustrations on him. Then let him help her pay Mel back for Brian trusting Mel more than her. Which made sense since all she did was cause problems and expect Brian to smooth it out for her. Lindsay shook her head. She lost everything by becoming all the things she hated about her parents. She should get down on her knees and pray Mel didn’t finally get tired of the shit she put up with from her. For once in her life, it was time for her to put the right things first. She got out of the car, and headed into the restaurant, ready to be honest with the woman who loved her. 

 

For a second, Lindsay felt like someone put a knife in her back when she saw Leda and Mel engrossed in conversation. Mel didn’t tell her it was Leda she was meeting, only that she made plans to see a friend. Mel had invited her, but did she do it to make her jealous the way she would have done? It took a moment for Lindsay to stop seeing some hidden agenda, and realize that wasn’t something Mel would do, but something she would do. Lindsay took a breath and walked to the table, noticing there was an extra drink that wasn’t Mel or Leda’s on the table. Mel looked up and for the first time smiled at Lindsay being in the same room.

 

“How’d it go?” Mel asked, as Lindsay sat next to her.

 

“My mother and Lynette are figuring out they have nothing on Jennifer Taylor. I was surprised to see her and Craig at the club.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Brian said they only planned to stay for the wedding, then Jennifer was needed here for an event she was planning.” Mel told her, making Lindsay feel a twinge of anger that Brian informed Mel and not her.

 

“Well that event is turning Lynette’s wedding into the event not to be seen at.” Lindsay smirked, feeling like laughing at how ridiculous it was that Lynette saw her wedding as the event of the season.

 

“Well what does she expect, she’s pretty much a losing horse in the marriage stakes.” Leda joked.

 

“Bell of the ball syndrome,” Mel commented.

 

“Ball and chain syndrome, would sound about right.” Lindsay joked as Mel looked shocked. “It was an enlightening day for me. I realized a lot of things, but the biggest was you and Gus are my priority, the rest is meaningless unless I fix us first.” Lindsay said, hoping Mel would see the sincerity in the statement.

 

“Can we make it about me, Mommy?” Leda asked Lindsay.

 

“Apparently Leda is lost at how to land a chick.” Mel whispered to Lindsay.

 

“Do I have a fever?” Lindsay joked.

 

“Screw you. I just don’t know if she’s well, bi, straight, gay, or anything.” Leda told them.

 

“Who?” Lindsay asked as a woman came toward her table.

 

Lindsay recognized Seira from the articles she looked up when she found out about Drew and Emmett. Only, the smiling serene woman in the pictures wasn’t the upset woman sitting down. Lindsay tipped her head at Seira, and Mel nodded trying not to laugh as Leda glared at them. Seria was tapping on her phone, not looking happy as she got a reply. She finally looked up and saw Lindsay, then put away her phone.

 

“I swear someone should show Bellwether what it feels like to have your life spread out for everyone to see,” Seira told them. 

 

“He’s an ass losing everything, so I wouldn’t worry about it for much longer. Soon the only one who will print him are tabloids where the truth doesn’t matter.” Leda told her, trying to calm her down.

 

“I know, but it hurts Emmett that Drew’s family has to read it,” Seira told them.

 

“The biggest problem is nothing he printed is anything that Emmett hasn’t done. Bellwether doesn’t care that it was long before Emmett was in a relationship with Drew; only that he can verify it as true and not risk a lawsuit.” Mel told her.

 

“How is Emmett doing so far?” Lindsay asked.

 

“I think he’s more worried about Drew’s reputation. He met Drew’s family yesterday, and from what he told me it’s going well.” Seira answered.

 

Mel waited for Lindsay to ask about Brian but she didn’t, instead she asked about Gus. “Is Gus having a good time?” Lindsay asked Mel.

 

“He’s at the beach all day with Brian and Justin. Apparently tonight they plan to have a bonfire with Drew’s family.” Mel answered, waiting for Lindsay’s usual green with envy look.

 

“I hope he has fun.” Was the only thing Lindsay said about the subject before looking at Seira with a plan to help out Leda. “So what are your plans now that you and Drew aren’t beards for each other?” Lindsay asked, wanting to laugh when Mel and Leda both glared at her.

 

“Truthfully I’m just relieved my mother figured out I’m not going to be the person she wants me to be. It’s not like I ever lived for her approval but I did it to make her happy and left me feeling miserable. I love Drew but I want to be in love with someone who loves me the way Emmett loves Drew. But that’s not what you’re asking is it?” Seira asked Lindsay.

 

“I know our circle, and I know loving someone who doesn’t meet with what they expect can be a hard life. It took me until today to realize that my happiness means more to me than the approval I won’t ever get because I love Mel.” Lindsay told her, grasping Mel’s hand.

 

“My problem is that I’m bi, and while my mother has no problem with it, I’m still not sure what I want, but it’s becoming clearer every day lately,” Seira said, smiling at Leda.

 

“I think that’s half of Lindsay’s problem,” Mel told her.

 

“Not anymore, I love you and if anyone has a problem with it, then I don’t need them in my life. It’s time for me to see I only ever needed your approval, and that we show our son that life is about what makes us happy.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Can you do that?” Mel asked her, forgetting everything but her hope that Lindsay was finally starting to see what her family did to her.

 

“It’s not going to be overnight but I’m working on seeing the good things I have, not the shitty things I never did. I was hoping maybe you and I could talk, really talk and maybe figure out a way to be happy with our lives. Do you think Brian and Justin will keep Gus a little longer until we… I, can be the kind of mother I promised?” Lindsay asked her.

 

“It would be better for him since Corey will make sure Michael and Collier stay away from all of them,” Mel told her.

 

“Which is what I wanted to talk about with you.” Leda said, butting in.

 

Mel looked at Lindsay like she wanted to apologize that once again her job was getting in the way. Lindsay surprised her by turning to talk to Seira, but still holding her hand.

 

“We can get to know each other at the bar while they talk business and forget us.” Lindsay joked, getting up and walking off with Seira.

 

“That must have been some afternoon for her,” Leda told Mel, watching the two beautiful blondes walk away with admiring eyes watching them.

 

“What did you want to tell me?” Mel asked, not wanting to talk about Lindsay with Leda.

 

“A few things. But as for the whole Collier and Michael thing, I think Brandon is trying to figure out what is going on with the two of them. The launching into Pittsburgh society didn’t get the two of them anywhere since they got on the wrong side of the Taylors, and Mary Hartline can’t buy them off. So instead, she’s willing to make sure Collier can’t continue to chase after Justin using his trust fund. Which means, from what I can gather, Michael was supporting them.” Leda told her.

 

“Which won’t last long since he never saved much, depending on Brian and Emmett to support him. When he lost his job, he was left to live off what he had with no possibility that Brian or Emmett would continue to feel guilty and help him. Michael was poor when he was fired but the money wasn’t going to last long if he did his usual and spent like he had an endless loan at the bank of Dark Angel.” Mel told her.

 

“Right, and while editors are being careful with Brian and Justin’s stories, they’d be willing to pay to run anything they could verify. It’s why Howie is still in print, because he is willing to source the people talking about Emmett and his wild ways of the past. Only, people want stories about the romance of the century that was kept from them. I think Brandon sees Michael and Collier as a way he can get a scoop. Which means if the story is good enough he can also pay the people for that story.” Leda tells her.

 

“Yeah, but the only thing he’d get was the two stalkers points of view.” Mel pointed out.

 

“Which would sell, and help keep Michael and Collier going, since the Hartlines aren’t going to support them. The only thing Mary is willing to do is to make sure Collier has a place to live for now. One that keeps him away from the rest of the Hartlines.” Leda told her.

 

“So she’s trying to distance the rest of the family from Collier’s mess while making it seem like she’s doing what it takes to appease the Taylors?” Mel asked.

 

“Pretty much. They raised a monster by giving him privilege and no responsibility. Now, instead of dealing with it, they’re distancing themselves. Mary agreed to therapy for no other reason than hoping Collier becomes someone else's problem. Half the problem is that Collier’s grandfather indulged Collier until he died. Like a lot of the older rich set, he believed if the Hartlines want something everyone should bow down and give it to them, and Collier lives by it. Only now he doesn’t have his grandfather forcing his family to clean up after him like they did the first time.” Leda told her.

 

“The first time? So Justin isn’t his first obsession?” Mel asked.

 

“No. It was a tutor that Collier harassed when the man didn’t return the feelings he had for him. Collier did a stint in a country club mental ward, and was released when he convinced the doctors he wasn’t going to bother the teacher anymore.” Leda told Mel.

 

“Did he go after the guy?” Mel asked.

 

“No. Instead he found a new muse for his obsession. Only he learned from the last time and just found ways to be around without doing anything that would land him back in therapy. I’m sure he’s finding out that Alex isn’t going to be as easily fooled as the others. But Collier wants access to the money, so unless someone gives him a better offer he’ll do what his mother tells him, which give Brandon an opening.” Leda told her.

 

“We can’t stop Brandon if he goes after the article,” Mel commented.

 

“No, but I at least wanted you warned if Brandon manages to find an article by using Michael and Collier,” Leda told her.

 

“I’ll let my clients know, and if you have a chance, tell Brandon to tread very carefully. Associations with Collier and Michael aren’t going to end well for the idiot who gets involved with them.” Mel told her.

 

“He needs to figure out what is worth a byline and what isn’t. It’s why I won’t do articles unless all parties involved know what I write. Brandon will tell them what they want to hear while slaughtering them or sensationalizing it. Which leads me to asking a favor.” Leda commented.

 

“Which is?” Mel asked, knowing she’d do it because Leda needed her too.

 

“Bellwether is really pissing Seira off, and while yes, he’s printing the truth, he’s also doing it in a way that blurs the truth enough to hurt Drew’s reputation. I wanted to see if Emmett would be willing to talk to me and we can dispel some of the crap Bellwether mentioned.” Leda asked her.

 

“I don’t think she’s waiting for you to fix her problems,” Mel told her.

 

“I like Emmett, and really, who doesn’t want to be the hero for someone in their lives?” Leda asked her.

 

“I’ll talk to Emmett, since it would help him too. Let me know if I need to worry about Brandon.” Mel said getting up.

 

“I thought we’d eat before you go,” Leda told her as she followed her to Lindsay and Seira.

 

“We can do it later. Right now I want to see if Lindsay and I can save our marriage.” Mel answered.