- Text Size +

Ted took his time picking up Mel. He knew Michael probably thought he was going to bail him out, but then Michael’s delusions weren’t Ted problem. Ted pulled over and talked to Cynthia, who was working with the security firm to clear each employee. They were looking at more than phone calls; if something in anyone’s life changed, meaning making bad decision for a pay off; if anyone noticed another person paying more attention to Brian than before; or anyone mentioning it as a rumor before it came out. Cynthia and Ted went first before listing anyone else in Brian’s life, even though Brian and Emmett wouldn’t have asked. He added Justin’s family and the friend, just doing his job.


Mel and Lindsay were included, even though they both sounded just as shocked as he was. It wasn’t that he wanted them to be guilty of anything, just not wanting to overlook anyone.


“How are Brian and Justin doing?” Mel asked.


“Better than Emmett is.” Ted told her.


“I let the editor know facts won’t get them sued and he’s willing to kill it if he can interview Brian and Justin. I said no deal, because we know he’ll run it when he has an answer. We need to get to Michael and make sure he knows where he stands and what will happen if he opens his mouth more than he already has. I gave Cynthia permission for what she needed too.” Mel told him.


“It was necessary.” Ted tells her.


“Neither of us have anything to hide.” Mel told him.


“I’m surprised they didn’t tell you.” Ted commented.


“I’m not. I mean yes, it was a shock to hear it the way I did. But I doubt they would have included us in any of it if Gus wasn’t involved. Justin’s actually spent more time with us, but he shut down if any questions came up about what he and Brian were doing.” Mel told him.


“Before I met Justin today, nothing about the two of them fit together.” Ted told her.


“They don’t spend a lot of time with us, but when we’ve seen them together, no one really exists outside of them. Well, Gus does, of course, but no one else I should say.” Mel told him.


“How is Lindsay really taking this?” Ted asked.


“Angry at Michael. But overall just happy it wasn’t something we knew about.” Mel told him.


“She can’t listen in our phone calls, but I couldn’t help but notice she sounded upset.” Ted commented.


“We want to have another baby. But I don’t want to do it now after this started.” Mel told him.


“Brian isn’t going to agree.” Ted told her.


“We aren’t asking him since I’m the one this time. We’re going to go the way I wanted to the first time.” Mel told him.


“Picked a lucky donor yet?” Ted asked.


“Bought and paid for.” Mel answered.


“You ready for this?” Ted asked as the parked.


“I called in a favor and they’re putting him an interrogation room for us.” Mel told him.


“Thanks. I was hoping we wouldn’t have to do this in front of everyone.” Ted told her.


“I wouldn’t give him the opportunity to get attention. Are we sure he didn’t leak this?” Mel asked.


“I’m not ruling him out until we figure out who did it. It’s just, Michael has never been good at hiding anything, and his reaction to this fits what we would expect of the shithead.” Ted told her.


“Tell me how you really feel.” Mel joked as they got signed in and led to the room they could already hear Michael bitching in.


Michael didn’t even wait for them to sit down before laying into them.


“WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING, WALKING HERE? DO YOU KNOW HOW EMBARRASSING IT WAS TO BE TREATED LIKE I’M NOTHING TO BRIAN? HAVING THE COPS ACT LIKE I WAS SOME CRAZY FAN, AND THEN SITTING HERE WAITING LIKE SOME COMMON CRIMINAL BECAUSE YOU TOOK YOUR SWEET TIME TO DO YOUR JOB?” Michael ranted.


“Are you done?” Mel asked.


“Am I done? WHAT ABOUT YOU AND LINDSAY ACTING LIKE YOU HAD THE RIGHT TO KEEP ME OUT OF BRIAN’S HOUSE? Yes. Now I’m done.” Michael finished, not understanding why he was still sitting here when Ted was supposed to just bail him out.


“Now it’s my turn. I need you to read this and verify that you signed it. Also, understand the camera is on to protect us all while we go over this.” Mel said sliding the copy of Michael’s NDA to him and turning on the camera behind them.


“I don’t have anything to worry about, since this is all bullshit anyway.” Michael started, until he remembered the document, and for a second he was worried. But Brian and Emmett never enforced this before. “Why do you need me to do that? It’s not like the fucking lawyers that witnessed them weren’t enough.” Michael told her.


“Was it explained to you?” Mel asked.


“Only because Ted was being a dick.” Michael told her, rolling his eyes when she waited for him to answer her. “Yes, it was. Like they thought I was just a hired hand.” He relented.


“Was there anything in there you didn’t understand?” Mel asked.


“Actually yes. Why Ted forgot that without me Emmett and Brian wouldn’t have been able to screw me over, since I introduced them. They wouldn’t have everything they do now if it wasn’t for me.” Michael ranted, before once again answering when Mel didn’t look impressed. “It was clear. Even though I’m different from everyone else that they really had to have sign this.”


“We’re good.” Mel told Ted.


“In the past you probably thought you were. But before, you never did what you did yesterday. So I’ve never had to enforce this with you. Today, it’s the reason your no longer a part of anything to do with the band. All access to the band is now severed, and Brian and Emmett are off limits to you. Anything you have belonging to the band will be returned, and unless you make it necessary we can leave it at that. Also, no statement will be made since your exit isn’t any different than that of any other staff member.” Ted informed him.


“Before you say anything, understand this; the NDA still stands even after your termination. You talk and it opens you up to a lawsuit. If what you said yesterday hasn’t already. Once we know what was said, I suggest you get a lawyer, because you’ll probably need one.” Mel told him.


“Can I go now? Since I’m finally free of Ted the DICK-tator.” Michael said, not believing Brian agreed to this.


“Ted, I’ll be waiting for you.” Mel said to Ted, ignoring Michael, turning off the camera and taking the recording.


“Enjoy this moment you probably waited for to feel like the top dog. And when you’re answering questions I’ll make sure my lawyer sues you for anything I don’t like that you said about me.” Michael ordered when Ted stayed after Mel left the room.


“I don’t think it will be a problem, since it took you stalking Brian to get a reporter to bump into you.” Ted tells him.


“That was Emmett, the backstabbing fucker.” Michael told him.


“You really don’t care what this did to Emmett do you?” Ted asked.


“He treated me like I wasn’t the biggest part of Brian’s life. And now it’s his turn to step in and be the ‘best friend’ he played to the public.” Michael told him.


“He’ll do it better than you ever have. Since he always has and always will understand friendship in a way you don’t. You didn’t understand it when they gave you a way to be part of the band. It was done because neither of them wanted to hurt you when every label suggested dropping the dead weight you became for them. Something they likely regret now since you proved they were dragging you along, when they should have left you here to rot.” Ted told him.


“I want to know what you’re doing about Brian. There is no way he would have married a trick unless he was tricked into it.” Michael told him, expecting to be answered.


“Anything concerning Brian I’m not at liberty to talk about to someone with no connection to the band. The same goes for Emmett, since I signed the same agreement, with the caveat of when they give me permission to speak for them. I don’t take their privacy lightly, like you did. But I will say one more thing before I go. If you speak to anyone and I can prove it, I’ll make sure you don’t have a dime of the money Brian and Emmett overpaid you left, or anyone willing to employ you.” Ted informed him.


“Big words from the guy whose job was wiping their asses. It must have sucked, while I was the one seen with them. You really think all this means anything? I won’t have to say anything since my absence will be noticed.” Michael told him.


“How does it feel to be the shit I got rid of for them?” Ted asked, smirking just to piss Michael off.


“I’ll tell you when all this ends up being a mistake that Brian will make you regret.” Michael told him.


“Why would he? I can hire a monkey to fold towels and carry the water.” Ted said, and Michael didn’t have a comeback for that.


Ted was finished and leaving, when Michael ordered him to post his bail.


“I only told your mother I’d be here to explain where you stood. Since you were so ashamed of her for how she supported you she isn’t willing to keep embarrassing you by using the money from that same job to bail you out. She wanted me to tell you to bail yourself out. One last thing. The things you thought put you above the people who actually worked for the band, are gone, Brian, Emmett, and anything else to do with them. Once I walk out of here, any further communication will be done through lawyers. Any attempt to go near them will result in a restraining order.”


“I’m not one of their stalkers.” Michael muttered.


“No. You weren’t one you became their number one stalker.” Ted said as he shut the door.