- Text Size +

Leda showed up at Emmett’s New York loft, wondering what they wanted her for, since as far as she knew Drew and Sierra hadn’t planned any event to talk about. Why they wanted her to come to New York when they could have all met in Pittsburgh was another mystery. All she knew was they asked her to meet with them and be ready to publish the interview as soon as possible.

 

With the current news being all about Brian Kinney, her editor had hoped she could use her old friendship with Mel to get some inside information. But Leda wasn’t going to do something that would damage her friendship with Mel. She’d read the article printed today by Bellwether, wondering why someone would need to protect the rockstar when there were plenty of articles that sounded like Brian Kinney would have been the one to tell someone exactly how he felt. Mel had called once to complain about Brian’s rather ‘in your face’ way of dealing with things, when Lindsay started on the baby trail. After that Mel had stopped calling, since Lindsay wasn’t thrilled about them staying in contact. It didn’t matter that Leda and Mel had firmly landed in the ‘friends’ category once they broke up for good. Lindsay didn’t seem to get that once Mel started thinking burbs and babies, Leda’s interest was lost. She had no interest in settling down, which was the reason she and Mel ended. Sierra on the other hand... If only... in Leda’s mind. 

 

“Come on in, we're waiting for a minute for some others to join us since an interview with them was cut short. They should be here soon. Drew wants to get this done.” Sierra smiled, staring at Leda who was lost in thought and didn’t realize the door opened.

 

“I’m definitely curious about why you asked for me.” Leda told her, following her to the living room.

 

“Get everything ready while I get the drinks. By then we should be ready.” Sierra told her, peeking her interest.

 

Drew sat there silent as always while Sierra started bringing out way more than any of them could eat or drink. When there was a knock on the door, Drew practically jumped to go get it. Leda set the recorder and grabbed her notepad waiting for Drew to come back.

 

“What’s going on?” Leda asked Sierra.

 

“Drew and I have decided it is time that we told our story.” Sierra told her.

 

Leda’s question got lost when Brian Kinney, Emmett Honeycutt, and Justin Taylor walked in. Emmett kissed Sierra, while Sierra was more excited to see Justin Taylor than anyone else in the room.

 

“You didn’t have to come.” Sierra told Emmett.

 

“Then why did you order my favorites?” Emmett teased.

 

“I was hoping to use you to meet Justin.” Sierra laughed.

 

Leda watched as Sierra scooted over and Emmett landed between her and Drew. Brian and Justin wandered out to the balcony, leaving Leda wondering if she did something really good in a previous life to have the top news stories wanting to tell her a tale.

 

“I’m assuming this isn’t about Brian and Justin.” Leda said, hoping someone would start.

 

“If they want to talk to you, than they can after I explain why I called you. Drew and I are ending our engagement, since there is no longer a reason for it anymore. The original reason was because I wanted my freedom. So I asked Drew to help me when my mother seemed to think it was time I married and started the family I really didn’t want. We started the ‘relationship’ with a promise that if either of us fell in love for real we’d break it off and support the other as what we’ve always been to each other, best friends, and nothing more. Unfortunately that’s not the whole reason we’re doing this publicly now. Drew is in love, but he and Emmett hadn’t planned to go public. I don’t want Drew’s story told with me being cast as the naive victim while Emmett is seen as homewrecker, when Drew and I never planned to marry each other anyway. I have no interest in marriage and our promise worked more for me than for Drew.” Sierra told her.

 

“Did you feel like you couldn’t come out?” Leda asked Drew.

 

“I’m sure the NFL will do their best to pretend there isn’t a problem with me being gay. But name one player in my position that is gay. I wanted my career to be about my performance on the field, not the fact that I’m a gay man. I feel the same as Brian and Justin did, that my private life should have been respected when it has nothing to do with what should interest my fans. Emmett offered me an out, but the idea of the man I love having to hide us wasn’t the right thing for either of us. If I have to choose between being one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL or being Emmett’s, I’ll take the happiness I have with Emmett. I will also still cheer on my team and wish them the best if they decide that it’s better for the team that I retire.” Drew told her.

 

“Have you talked to your coach and owner about this situation? Because I can hold this article if that needs to be done first.” Leda offered.

 

“They’ve both offered their support and understand why I feel the need to do this. My team is being told while we talk to you. And as a team they will decide how this will play out. If they can’t support me, or feel that this will disrupt the team, they are being told I understand and hold no malice on what the team feels is best. I’ve also made sure they know Sierra knew and wasn’t hurt by this, because she is well liked for the wonderful woman she is.” Drew told her.

 

“Is all this the reason Dark Angel didn’t plan to tour for the next few months?” Leda asked Emmett as Brian and Justin came in.

 

“No. We’d already planned to take time off. We’ve been going nonstop for years, and wanted a break. But we plan to work on a new album, along with other things. Dark Angel will be dealing with some business too, since our contract is up for renewal, and we want to make sure we’re doing what’s best for the band if we resign or need a change. The story that broke was done without informing us, and now we want to make sure our story is told our way.” Emmett told her.

 

“I hadn’t heard about you and Drew, that’s why I ask.” Leda told him.

 

“There’s a ‘source’ who hinted about an Ironman and me. Drew and I wanted to keep the other players from speculating, since a few have been to events that I’ve attended. Right now the reporter who heard it wants a name before he publishes, and after reading the fairytale he printed about Brian and Justin, I don’t trust him to print anything flattering about Drew, Sierra, or me. When Drew and I knew we were going to be more, he introduced me to Sierra. I knew they weren’t what the public believed, and I loved her because Drew could do what he loved and not have his sexuality be an issue. Sierra welcomed me and made sure I understood she’d have my balls if I didn’t treat her best friend right.” Emmett said, hugging Sierra.

 

“I want to ask, but you can tell me to mind my own business. What did Bellwether’s article get wrong?” Leda said, looking to Brian and Justin.

 

“Only if you agree that the person who was sited only as ‘a source’ stays nameless. It won’t be hard to get the source’s name, since he did it in front of restaurant full of people, but he hasn’t been named in an article and I don’t want him to get the attention he’s seeking for betraying Emmett and me.” Brian told her.

 

“He won’t get ten minutes from me for lying.” Leda told him.

 

“The night that was referenced in the article I was there to meet Justin. We had plans for the weekend. I spent the evening doing my best to spend time with Justin, while having to deal with a member of the support staff doing his best to ruin the evening by showing up uninvited. By the end of the evening Justin and I were able to break away for the weekend we had planned. The only one who was unwanted that evening was person claiming I asked him to do anything.” Brian told her.

 

“I noticed you left the tricking in the bathroom out, I will too.” Leda teased.

 

“There was no trick in that bathroom.” Brian told her.

 

“I need to ask all of you; are you sure all of you want to be included in the article, or do I just stick to Emmett, Drew, and Sierra?” Leda asked them.

 

“Feel free to print what I said.” Brian told her.

 

“Brian and I have done practically everything together, why not this.” Emmett added.

 

“Is there anything you want to add, Justin?” Leda asked.

 

“The best way that Brian and Emmett’s fans can show their support is not to buy articles unless the author has personally spoken to them. Not ‘sources’, who in essence fabricate stories to betray the band.” Justin told her, before adding. “Oh, and when I met Brian, I didn’t know who he or Emmett were.” Justin laughed.

 

“He really didn’t have a clue.” Emmett told her.

 

“He knew who I was though.” Drew said smugly.

 

“Can you get this out before tomorrow afternoon?” Emmett asked Leda.

 

“I have a feeling that as soon as I call, the paper is going to be working overnight to fit this in the MORNING addition.” Leda told them, packing up quickly to get it written.

 

************************

 

Ted went with Corey to meet with Justin’s agent. Alisha wasn’t happy with Justin or anyone else, since she was left out of the loop. 

 

“I understand Justin’s career isn’t important to you, but I don’t appreciate feeling like an idiot, being blindsided to protect your client.” Alisha told us.

 

“I found out when you did. Our clients didn’t tell either of us.” Ted told her.

 

“Can I ask why you’re here?” Alisha asked Corey.

 

“I just wanted some clarification about Justin’s fans. I’ve only dealt with musicians and actors. I wanted to know if your clients receive fan mail, or have issues with fans.” Corey asked her.

 

“We’ve had one or two who hoped Justin would be interested in helping them with their careers. As for fan mail, that’s really not something we deal with with visual arts. Justin doesn’t have the kind of following your client Brian Kinney has.” She told Corey.

 

“Have you had anyone who seems possessive of Justin?” Corey asked.

 

“He’s dealt with a few people who want more from him, but Justin manages deal with it. If anyone is persistent, my people take over and steer them away from him.” Alisha told him.

 

“Is there anyone that persisted even after all that.” Corey asked.

 

“Justin’s ex, Ethan, did for a while, but stopped when Ethan’s agent threatened to drop him if he outed himself.” She told them.

 

“After they broke up?” Ted asked.

 

“Yes. Justin was the one who broke it off after they drifted apart.” Alishia told them.

 

“Was this recently?” Corey asked.

 

“No. It was two years ago. Can I ask why your asking me this?” She questioned.

 

“There was an incident recently that worries us. There might be a stalker involved. The person was heard saying ‘His Angel’ in reference to either Brian or Justin. I’m just checking out the possibilities.” Corey answered her.

 

“The band is call Dark Angel, so wouldn’t that sound more like Brian?” Alishia asked.

 

“It could. Is there any nickname for Justin in art circles?” Corey asked.

 

“His last name, but beyond that, no.” She told them.

 

“And there isn’t anyone you can think of that sticks out as being overly interested in Justin?” Corey asked.

 

“Other agents, since Justin is a money maker. When he shows everyone tends to want his attention, but it’s never been an issue for Justin between shows.” She told them.

 

“If you think of anyone or anything else will you contact me?” Corey asked.

 

“Just leave your number with my PA. But will you please remind Justin that I can’t do my job if he doesn’t keep me informed.” She told them.

 

“I’ll leave my information with you too. As long as Justin gives me permission I’ll contact you if he hasn’t.” Ted told her.

 

Alisha got up to see them out and stopped by her PA, Eric, to give their information to.

 

“Are we changing Justin’s number?” Alisha asked.

 

“Yes, but I’m leaving it up to him to decide who gets the number.” Ted told her.

 

“We’re going to need it to, since we can’t reach him through his home number.” Eric told Alisha.

 

“I’ll talk to him about that too.” Alishia replied.

 

Ted and Corey left, planning to deal with Vance and Kip next, after checking in with Brian and Emmett. “She really doesn’t take much of an interest in her client’s life.” Corey commented.

 

“I spend most of my time with mine, but still missed that they were in relationships.” Ted reminds him.