- Text Size +

 

Collier wanted to kill his parents for calling him after Justin and Ethan ran into the woods, but the closest place on foot for them to go was fifteen miles away, no matter what direction they went. Plus they likely weren’t going to go towards any roads since they didn’t know where he might be. If they returned to the house then he would happily burn it down with them in it. Justin had betrayed him, and if nothing else that would guarantee Justin would never be anyone else’s again. He went to the gas station, thinking about buying a couple of gas containers. Collier had started liking the idea that Justin would belong to no one if he couldn’t have him. He’d been wrong about Justin. He wasn’t the man Collier thought he was if he didn’t want him. After a minute he had calmed down. He was sure he could get Justin to change his mind, but Ethan had to go. Ethan wasn’t going to get anything but his wrath. The idiot screwed up at screwing up for Collier. Collier could see it in his mind. He’d find them, get rid of Ethan and make it so Justin understood what he was capable of.

 

Collier knew they were following him but he figured they’d watch his car, while he went to the back and drove Ethan’s car out right in front of them. They were idiots if they thought he was going to make it easy on them. He knew that he had time to find Justin before they could get to the nearest house, but he didn’t like the unknown. What if they found someone to help them? Collier shivered at the thought because while he could outmaneuver most people, Justin wasn’t like most people. He knew that if Justin talked people would believe him. As Collier headed to Ethan’s car he bumped into a guy but ignored him, suddenly worried about what would happen if Justin was found before he could get to him. He’d driven around to make sure there weren’t any stray cars or people around. Most of the property for miles was private, so hopefully, people respected that and didn’t cause Collier problems he didn’t need. He just wanted to be with the love of his life.

 

Brian kept driving as the other car stopped, watching Collier. He was tired of waiting for the asshole to lead them wherever he had Justin. If it was up to Brian, he’d beat the answers out of the fucker. Only that would make it harder for them to find Justin with Brian in jail.

 

“Where is this place?” Brian asked.

 

“In the middle of nowhere,” Corey answered.

 

“Brian, if Justin isn’t there we’d be driving away from the one person who could lead us to him,” Craig told him.

 

“Why not call the police in the area and see if they can at least check it out,” Ted added as Corey was already doing it.

 

“If I’m wrong…” Brian stopped talking but kept driving as Ted put the address on the GPS.

 

“If you are, Corey still has his people watching Collier,” Ted told him, praying they weren’t.

 

Corey nodded, waiting for Carl to answer. When Carl did, Corey told him about the property and wanted to see if he could have someone in the area check to see if anyone was there. Carl hung up, assuring him it would be done and the person would contact him on the phone. 

“It worries me that Collier left Justin wherever this is alone,” Craig said, hating to bring it up.

 

“He probably feels secure enough that Justin wouldn’t be able to get away before he could get back.” Ted offered.

 

“Which means it could be closer, not further away,” Craig commented.

 

“Both could be possible. It took Collier a while to get to the station, and place Ethan owns is private enough to get someone in without anyone noticing and far enough away to explain why Collier took as long as he did. I’m not saying there aren’t places closer, but with every law enforcement officer looking for Collier and Justin in Pittsburgh, he would be smarter to keep Justin in another state altogether. Collier’s proven again and again he’s smart.” Corey told them.

 

“What about Ethan, are you going to look for him?” Craig asked.

 

“I have a feeling we won’t need to. I doubt Collier would leave Ethan anywhere where he would be able to talk. It seems like Collier wanted to make Ethan a better suspect to take the heat off himself. With the captain of the boat saying it was Justin, it gives lawyers room to say Collier is being railroaded. Plus Ethan’s history with Justin, versus Collier’s almost nonexistent history...” Corey said, leaving the comment hanging.

 

“Justin wouldn’t be anywhere with Ethan.” Brian and Craig both said at the same time.

 

“We know that but unfortunately they can’t just believe us,” Corey said as his phone rang. “Do you still have eyes on him?” Corey asked, laughing after what the guy on the phone said to him. “I’ll track him, you guys go ahead to the cabin.” He said before hanging up.

 

“I’ll fire your ass if they lose him.” Brian snarled.

 

“Collier made a mistake that helps us, he stored Ethan’s car at the gas station. My guys knew to look for Ethan’s car, and noticed it parked behind the station.” Corey said smirking.

 

“Okay, but what does that mean for us?” Ted asked.

 

“It means we don’t need to follow Ethan’s car, just the tracker my guys left on it,” Corey told them.

 

******************************************

 

“I know this place like the back of my hand,” Justin said sarcastically when they still hadn’t found anything but woods, woods, and more woods.

 

“I thought I did. But look at the bright side,” Ethan said, not really sure what bullshit would be the bright side.

 

“Really! What’s the bright side? Since so far we’ve spent hours out here and seen the same fucking tree three times already!” Justin roared.

 

“Collier might be just as lost?” Ethan mumbled as Justin dragged him back on his feet.

 

At this point, Justin was more worried about the dog that had run off earlier when Ethan somehow managed to get them going in a circle versus toward the place he said he could find. Justin wished he could say he would get them out of here, but he wasn’t really sure which direction to go in at this point. Justin whistled again for the dog, hoping it would come back.

 

“What if Collier hears us?” Ethan warned.

 

“Hopefully between the two of us, we can handle him.” Justin snapped.

 

“Not if he has a gun,” Ethan told him.

 

“Look at the bright side,” Justin said, waiting for Ethan to ask.

 

“Okay, what’s the bright side?” Ethan asked, falling into the trap.

 

“He wants me. You, not so much. Which, granted isn’t bright for you, but since I wouldn’t be here without you, it is for me.” Justin said, dragging Ethan behind him.

 

“Well, at least I’m here and not your precious Brian,” Ethan said sounding sulky.

 

“Trust me, if Brian knew where to find me, he would be here,” Justin said with conviction.

 

“I don’t get it. I mean, how did you two even meet? Why would either of you even bother with the other?” Ethan asked.

 

“What are you really asking? Why him and not you?” Justin asked.

 

“I guess. I mean I have more in common with him than you do. We’re both in the music industry. You have more in common with me, since we’re in the fine arts, not pop arts.” Ethan said, sounding jealous.

 

“It doesn’t matter to either of us. We like that we have separate interests and that neither of us wanted to use the other for anything. Something you wouldn’t understand. But to answer your question, he was at the auction I donated my work to a couple of months after you and I ended.” Justin told him.

 

“Wait a second. Are you telling me that after getting pissed at me for cheating, you were okay with the man you married cheating on you?” Ethan asked.

 

“It’s not cheating when we agreed to an open relationship. Which you and I didn’t when you were screwing Eric.” Justin told him.

 

“What did you expect when you didn’t want it?” Ethan threw at Justin.

 

“For you to get the clue that we were over, and that I was willing to let you do the breaking up so you could save face,” Justin told him.

 

“Then why were you so pissed when you caught Eric and me?” Ethan asked.

 

“Because Eric broke my trust. It had nothing to do with you. I considered him a friend, and it hurt to realize he wasn’t.” Justin told him.

 

“So you didn’t give a shit about me?” Ethan asked, sounding like that wasn’t possible to believe.

 

“Not really. You were fun, but after a while, I got tired of the way you thought everyone should worship you, yet you did nothing to earn it. When we first met you had the potential to be great, yet you wasted it all trying to ride my coattails,” Justin told him.

 

“Like you aren’t getting a boost in your career by having your marriage make the headlines.” Ethan pointed out.

 

“Yeah. I really waited two years to get the fame I never wanted at the expense of the man who would do anything for me. That’s what you don’t get. Brian understood me wanting as private a life as we could have. He didn’t want anything he didn’t earn on his own, and it made my family respect him.” Justin said, relieved when he saw the dog, headed back towards them.

 

“Look, Lassie is back and we’re still lost,” Ethan said sarcastically, throwing his hands up when the dog turned and started running back the way it came. Justin let go of Ethan and started following the dog, leaving Ethan to stay or follow them.

 

***********************************************

 

Zane waited outside the station for the guys he was told were on their way to him. He'd already checked the house and property Ethan owned, not finding anyone. What he found in the house had him worried about what could have happened to Justin Taylor. 

 

The car pulled up and he hoped they didn’t realize his shock at seeing Brian Kinney walking towards him. It wasn’t everyday Zane met one of the kings of rock. Luckily one of the others approached him first, it gave him a chance at not gawking like an idiot.

 

“Hi, I'm Corey. That's Craig Taylor, Justin's father, and Ted and Brian. Have you found anything yet?” Corey asked, getting to the point.

 

“The house was open when I pulled up but no one was there,” Zane said, wishing he had better news.

 

“Was there anything pointing to Justin being there?” Corey asked.

 

“I honestly couldn't say, but let's just say the room was made for kidnapping. The locks were on the outside of the door and there were a few extra locks to keep the person in the room. I never really paid attention to that when I was seeing Ethan. If Justin got out of the house, he would have been surrounded by forest. With the front door wide open, and the guy you think kidnapped Justin gone, it gave him an opportunity to get away.” Zane told them.

 

“If Ethan was with him, where would they go?” Brian asked.

 

“Why would Ethan be with him?” Zane asked.

 

“We think Justin’s stalker was trying to frame Ethan for the whole thing to give him time for whatever he had planned to do with Justin. Which meant Ethan couldn’t be around to cast doubts on Collier Hartline. So far he's missing as well.” Corey told him.

 

“Ethan would try to head to my place since it the closest place he would know to go to. Except he'd likely get them lost since he didn’t strike me as an outdoorsman. Once you go in the forest out here, it's easy to get turned around unless you know where you're headed.” Zane said.

 

“How hard would it be to find them?” Brian asked.

 

“Hard. Since we're talking about a lot of territory to cover, but my guys know the area. I've called a couple of hunters in the area to be on the lookout out for them, and I sent my deputy to get some ATVs and bikes to make it faster.” Zane told him.

 

“Add that anyone finding Justin safe will get a reward,” Ted told him.

 

“How sure are you he's even here? The detective who called said there was another possibility too.” Zane asked.

 

“We've been tracking Collier and he's already in the area. The car belongs to Ethan, but as I said, Ethan’s missing and this guy has a connection to both Justin and Ethan. Collier used Ethan to stay in Justin’s circle, only he lost that connection years ago. Yet he stayed obsessed with Justin, unlike Ethan, who only bitched about Justin leaving him.” Corey told him.

 

Brian was about to ask if they were done talking when an SUV with motorcycles pulled in. The deputy got out and started unloading the bikes, while four other trucks pulled up.

 

“How about we talk later, and get started on the search?” Zane offered when he could see Brian and Craig were losing patience with the waiting. ‘You guys can wait at the station…”

 

“Ted and Craig can, but Corey and I are going.” Brian cut him off.

 

“We don’t have time to worry about you two,” Zane said since they were already going to be dealing two possibly lost or hurt other people. Which didn’t stop either Corey or Brian from taking two of the bikes.

 

“I've ridden and so has Brian. We'll follow you. Worry about finding Justin.” Corey told him, following the deputy.

 

**********************************************

 

Collier couldn’t believe they’d managed to follow him, but somehow they did. He’d stopped at the convenience store to get some supplies, only to overhear the locals talking about the gossip that Brian Kinney was at the police station. A few of the people speculated that Brian came here because Justin had run away with Ethan. Then one guy, wanting to one-up the others told everyone he’d heard Ethan was a kidnapper. That made Collier smile, but he listened as they continued saying the sheriff got hunters to start searching while some other men were searching around the cabin. No one paid any attention to Collier, too busy wanting to speculate on what was really going on. It also told him to be careful not to get caught while he went looking for Justin. Collier didn’t like the deviation from the plan he’d spent years on. It should have been so easy, but everything was going wrong. He was willing to allow that he’d been wrong to alert everyone to Ethan since now he’d need to worry about not being seen by anyone who would question why he was out there.

 

He couldn’t go to the cabin, but that didn’t bother him. If Justin and Ethan were still out there they were hours away from the cabin anyway. Collier drove around past the sheriff’s house until he found a small road to drive down and park the car out of sight. He just hoped that meant they believed Ethan was the kidnapper since Collier didn’t own the property. Now he just had to find the two of them, which made him wish he’d gotten the stupid mutt a tracker. He was going to kill the fucking dog first, then Ethan.

 

At first, it seemed simple, just go toward the direction of the cabin and he’d run across Justin and Ethan since they hadn’t been found. Only the fucking search party was everywhere, and on bike’s and ATVs, which put them going faster than Collier could on foot. He kept listening and running to hide when he heard a bike getting too close to him. The guy stopped, pulled out a map and started looking at it. Collier got up, knowing he would lose Justin if he didn’t take the opportunity presented. Collier didn’t want anyone to come looking for him, so he quietly came up behind the guy with a sturdy branch and knocked him on the back of the head. The guy went down. Collier wanted to tell him the helmet would have saved him. Collier sat on the bike, putting on the helmet, then looking at the motorcycle. He’d never ridden one before but how hard could it be if the idiot out cold on the ground could ride it. Collier found out it wasn’t easy as he hit the ground as the bike went out from under him. The guy on the ground moaned, which meant Collier needed to get out of there. He ran, hauling the heavy bike back up, only to wonder how the hell to start the thing. Nothing he did worked, he looked back at the guy on the ground, wanting to beat the shit out of him for making it look so easy. He dumped the bike and took off when he heard more bikes coming this way. 

 

Another hour passed and he was still no closer to finding Justin. He figured out following the direction the others were going in was better than being lost. He was angry they might find Justin before he could. He hated the idea of having to go into hiding while Justin ended up living his disgusting life with Brian Kinney. He’d waited years to get what he wanted and it was all slipping away. Collier couldn’t believe that after everything, he was the one who might lose. He was about to turn around and get out of there when someone yelled Justin’s name and a bark answered. Then he saw Justin running towards the noise. Collier’s anger got the better of him, Justin wasn’t going to be with anyone if not him.

***********************************************

 

Brian followed Corey’s trail, looking in every direction as he heard others shouting Justin and Ethan’s names. He had to give it to Zane, he sent four guys around the perimeter and the rest were within the search area. Zane told everyone they’d be searching for at least six to eight hours since they didn’t have an exact time table. As they started getting closer to the area, one of the hunters got off the bike and started on foot, looking for signs of anyone walking around the area. 

 

They’d been going for over two hours when a dog showed up, it looked at Zane before turning and taking off. At first, no one really reacted, then one of the guys started running after the dog. Brian looked around, praying this led to Justin. He got off the bike, letting it fall to the ground when he saw a blonde head running towards them. Brian didn’t think, he just ran to the man who owned his heart and soul. He yelled Justin’s name and heard a faint yell back from Justin calling Brian’s name. Everything was right in his world for the minute before he heard the sound of a gunshot and saw Justin falling to the ground. Everyone scrambled around trying to figure out where the shot came from. All Brian could do was run and hope Justin wasn’t dead. 

 

“Brian stop, someone is shooting at Justin,” Corey yelled trying to get to Brian.

 

Brian didn’t give a shit, because he needed to get to Justin. He kept running as others ran with him. Brian managed to breathe again as Justin scrambled to a tree. The shots kept coming, ripping bark from the tree. Justin kept himself covered as he ran away from the shots. It didn’t take long before Collier finally started running after Justin. Collier saw the people around him and shot at Zane and Corey, missing them both. Then he ran towards where Justin was again. Corey stopped, then raised his gun, debating whether or not Collier dead was better. He fired two shots, watching as Collier hit the ground. Zane kicked the gun out of Collier’s hand. Then it was the dog who seemed to think dead was better as it snarled, running straight for Zane and Collier.

 

Zane knew he couldn’t let the dog do what it seemed to want to, but before he could do anything to stop the dog, Justin whistled and the dog changed course, ignoring the target it had its teeth set to shred. Zane looked down at the guy whose hand had a hole in it and the kneecap that would need surgery. Then he looked to the man who fired the shots with deadly aim.

 

“I hate paperwork,” Zane said, watching the reunion of Brian and Justin, as Corey walked over to Zane.

 

Corey and everyone else in the area watched as the two men held on to each other. No one even reacted to Collier, who was screaming in pain. Corey let go of his guilt for Justin being taken because they’d found him. Everyone drew their guns as someone came running towards them, only to relax when Ethan came into view. Zane looked for a second at the guy he once thought could have been more, then looked at the couple who showed him what he should have been looking for.

 

“I’ll deal with the questioning and help you,” Corey told him, thinking he needed to stop letting his job get in the way of having a life.

 

*********************************************

 

It took a few hours to get the scene processed before Zane and Corey got back. Zane smiled as his station ended up with more people there wanting to see Justin. Ethan was standing outside. When Zane pulled up he started towards him. 

 

“It’s been a while,” Ethan said, thinking they could relive old times.

 

“Yeah it has, and you know what I figured out?” Zane said, watching as Corey walked past him.

 

“What?” Ethan asked, showing he was still interested in Zane.

 

“That wanting to be in a relationship doesn’t mean settling for someone just because he’s gay and available. I want what I saw the minute Brian and Justin were together.” Zane told him.

 

Ethan looked at the way Brian couldn’t seem to keep his hands off Justin, not letting even Justin’s mother’s hug tear Justin from him. Zane saw the jealousy and knew Ethan wasn’t ever going to be the one for him. Corey looked up from his phone and winked before turning and finishing his call.

 

“I can do better than before,” Ethan told him.

 

“Good luck, because I doubt you’ll ever find someone who could put up with you,” Zane told him, walking into the station.

 

*****************************************

 

Brian couldn’t let go of Justin, needing to feel him. Five days seemed like an eternity when he didn’t know what happened during those days. Justin explained what he remembered, making what Gardner told them the truth. It wouldn’t help Kip, but at least Gardner wouldn’t be in prison for keeping the idiot around. Collier lawyered up, trying to blame Ethan, and saying he was only looking like everyone else. He seemed to forget the witness to him shooting at Justin and yelling to Justin that he’d never get away from him. Then, as if he didn’t say anything, seemed to get it wasn’t just about Justin, and started saying he was trying to protect Justin from Michael, who was planning with Kip to get rid of Justin.

 

Justin didn’t know if Michael was involved with Collier, but Ethan filled everyone in Michael’s involvement. Carl questioned Kip and he admitted that Michael was in on the planning and that breaking into Brian and Justin’s house was supposed to be his alibi, the way Kip being the one taking Justin was Collier’s. Collier’s parents had shown up with the lawyers in tow, not willing to believe their son did anything but look for Justin like anyone would. Even the lawyers seemed stumped at how to explain why Collier was shooting at Justin, then at the Sheriff in uniform, and then at Corey. Collier’s lawyer did inform Zane that Collier had proof that Michael was financing the whole thing. Giving Zane statements showing the money all coming in and out of Michael’s account to pay Kip, and pay for the boat trip and the gun.

 

The captain of the boat was able to confirm the guy on the boat with Ethan wasn’t Justin. They still hadn’t found the guy, but Ethan told the deputy what Collier told him when Zane left it to the deputy to take Ethan’s statement. Corey agreed to stay behind and handle everything so Brian and Justin could leave. Ben called, telling them the press caught the story and Sean was coming to get them. Daphne and Travis called, agreeing to wait until they got home to see Justin. Daphne packed her and Travis’s bags and told him the honeymoon would wait until she could see her best friend was home.  

 

Brian sat with Justin on the plane that Ben felt would be easier on them. The press was everywhere, and it was easier to get them out of town where no one could reach them in the air. Sean had brought Gus with them when Lindsey and Mel suggested it. Seeing Gus smile at the dog was all it took to get them both calm. 

 

Justin explained how the dog led him and Ethan in the right direction when he could tell which direction the noise was coming from. He also told Brian how the dog protected him when Collier wanted Justin to handcuff himself and go with Collier. Brian didn’t bother to ask if anyone owned the dog. As far as Brian was concerned the dog became family for keeping Justin safe.

 

“What’s his name?” Gus asked.

 

“Lassie,” Justin said, thinking the dog earned the name for getting him back to Brian.

 

“Are we still having a baby?” Gus asked.

 

“As soon as we can, sonny boy,” Brian told him.

 

Brian called Emmett, deciding they needed to spend time away from everyone. Emmett, as usual, agreed, saying Drew agreed they could use another vacation. He called Mel and told her and Lindsey to pack a bag. He wasn’t rewarding Lindsey but was willing to meet her halfway. 

 

Deb called, just wanting to hear from Justin that he was whole and with Brian. She refrained from saying anything about her son, she didn’t want anything to ruin their happiness right then. Carl had pulled her aside with Jen’s permission and told her everything they knew so far. She listened and didn’t try to argue or defend her son. Instead, she realized it was time to live for herself and let what would happen, happen to Michael. She asked Carl to let her see her son before she left.  

 

Michael looked up from the cell, seeing his mother. Michael gave her the puppy dog eyes that always seemed to work before. He waited for her usual reaction and smiled when the first words sounded like he succeeded.

 

“I screwed up so badly with you,” Deb told him.

 

“Ma, it’s all a misunderstanding. But you're right, you should have supported and believed in me.” Michael told her.

 

“No. I should have forced you to take care of yourself and not let Brian give you the things he worked hard to achieve on his own without any help from you. Vic even told me from the beginning that I was coddling you too much. I’m going to take my brother’s advice, and let you deal with what your stupidity led you to.” Deb told him, knowing she still loved him but also knowing that helping him would hurt the sons of her heart. 

 

“Ma, why are you acting like I did more than going to see my best friend?” Michael asked since she sounded like he was in a lot of trouble.

 

“They found Justin, while you were in here denying everything. They also have the bank statements showing you were the one paying for everything that led to Justin’s kidnapping. So in your case, you didn’t need to be there, just pay for it.” Deb told him, walking out. 

 

Carl was waiting outside the door when Deb came out. “How about a cup of coffee and an ear? You look like you could use both,” Carl said, thinking Deb shouldn’t be alone as she dealt with the loss of her son.

 

“That sounds nice,” Deb told him, wondering why she hadn’t noticed before how handsome Carl was.