- Text Size +

Lindsay stalled as long as she could. She wasn’t sure what she expected to happen when she talked to Brian. They’d be happy to find out, even when they wouldn’t be able to punish the person, who didn’t know what he did was wrong. Only, they were relying on a five-year-old to describe the person who questioned him and that would still leave them trying to figure it out. She kept all her emotions in check the whole drive to Brian’s house. With everything she was worried about, she was caught off guard at seeing one of their old bodyguards watching as the front gates were being changed. 

 

“Are they expecting you guys?” Corey asked.

 

“Gus was supposed to come tomorrow but with everything going on, I didn’t want to draw attention to where I was going,” Lindsay told him.

 

“Just remember to watch the cars around you the way we taught you. Take side roads if anyone seems to be following you, and head to the police station when you can’t lose them.” Corey repeated to her as he did constantly when it was happening to Lindsay.

 

“We were alone after we left the interstate,” Lindsay told him, hoping he would let her in.

 

Gus hopped out, running to the door, while Lindsay texted Mel where they were. Brian was standing at the door talking to Gus before he let him go to find Justin. The glare toward her was normal since he didn’t like sharing his time with Justin with anyone.

 

“It’s important, and it involves Gus too,” Lindsay told him when he wasn’t inviting her in.

 

“So you waited until Mel was gone to pop on by. If this is about your feelings getting hurt or feeling like I owed you an explanation because of Gus, you can get right back in your car.” Brian told her, remembering what Ted said.

 

“I texted Mel to bring Ted here. I know I’m on his shit list for listening in when he and Mel were talking. Mel let me know how she felt about it too.” Lindsay told him.

 

“It doesn’t explain why you showed up here.” Brian told her.

 

“Brian, let her in.” Justin told him when they were attracting the attention of the guys working outside.

 

“When did you start all of this?” Lindsay asked.

 

“I called Corey after Ted left. I didn’t want what happened the last time. Corey knows how to handle it.” Brian told her.

 

“Can we wait until Ted and Mel come before I explain?” Lindsay asked him.

 

“Is everything okay?” Justin asked.

 

“I just don’t want to repeat it again, especially because it scared me.” Lindsay told them.

 

“Only answer one thing. Does it have anything to do with how people found out?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes. But not because I said anything.” Lindsay told him.

 

“Who?” Brian asked.

 

Lindsay didn’t answer but looked over at Gus hiding behind Justin’s leg. Brian followed where Lindsay’s eyes went, but it only confused him more since she was looking at Gus.

 

“We never told him.” Brian told her.

 

“He guessed Brian. Justin apparently wore his ring around Gus. And Gus, being as smart as he is, connected the ring to the one's Mel and I wear. When he asked me about ours, it just sounded like he was curious to me, and I answered. I didn’t question him on why he wanted to know, since he normally just asks questions anytime he wants to know something.” Lindsay told him, as Justin closed his eyes, blaming himself. “It’s not your fault either, Justin, but we have a problem. One that Ted needs to know about.” Lindsay told him, shaking.

 

“Emmett’s cooking up a storm. How about we eat while we wait.” Brian told her, willing to wait for her to calm down.

 

Ted changed directions when Mel said they need to go to Brian and Justin’s because Lindsay took it upon herself to just drop by. Mel knew this was behavior Ted likely believed was a repeat of the past. Brian texted Ted and they got an answer but not all of it. Which left Mel not sure Ted might not be right.

 

Ted walked in without knocking, leaving Mel stalling when she saw Corey, in hopes Lindsay hadn’t done something like Michael. 

 

“Mel, I’d like to find out everything today.” Ted tells her, getting her to come in and following the voices to the kitchen.

 

“Gus and I’ll to the playroom while you guys talk.” Emmett volunteered, since what little he knew sounded like Gus didn’t need to be there.

 

Brian waited until they left and left Lindsay to explain since he was now tired of waiting.

 

“I’m going to start with how I found out, which Mel and Ted weren’t there for. Gus and Justin spend a lot of time together. More time than he probably tells Brian because Mel and I were dealing with doctor appointments, so we were letting him help us. We wanted to have another baby, and with Justin here we didn’t have to take Gus with us.” Lindsay said, looking at Mel.

 

“We didn’t want to ask you or anyone else,” Mel told Brian, not sure where this was going.

 

“Which has nothing to do with the answers we’re waiting for.” Brian reminded them.

 

“A couple months ago Gus asked why Mel and I wore rings on a certain finger, I answered. He didn’t ask anything else so I didn’t really think any more about it.” Lindsay told them.

 

“I wear my ring when we’re out since no one really questions it when Gus and I are doing things.” Justin told Ted and Mel, who started to get where this was going.

 

“I wanted to explain to Gus about Brian and Justin being married, since people might ask him, not understanding they shouldn’t. He listened, then when I told him not to tell anyone anything if he was asked about it he told me he already did by accident, at the indoor kids' gym when he was climbing in the tunnels. He also told me Justin was watching him the whole time, but there was a grown-up who asked Gus why Justin was there with him. Gus said Justin was his because his dad gave Justin a ring like his mommies wore. I asked and he told me the guy didn’t bother him again. I tried to see if he could describe the guy but we’re dealing with a five-year-old. I showed him the picture of the reporter who wrote the article but he told me it wasn’t him.” Lindsay told them.

 

“When did you take Gus there?” Ted asked.

 

“A week ago.” Justin told him. 

 

“I’ll tell Corey to work on getting footage, since all those places have it.” Ted told them.

 

“People ignore us, and since no one ever notices me…” Justin hated that Gus was used like that.

 

“We all got lax because things quieted down.” Mel told him.

 

“No one should have approached Gus, as if that’s even close to okay.” Brian told them.

 

“I’ll let Cynthia know. But remember, our staff was in town before we got here, setting up, so it doesn’t rule them out. I only bring it up because it’s been a while since the crap with Mel and Lindsay. And Gus’ picture was the one thing we managed to limit, to the public. But our people have seen Gus often through the years. So they would recognize him, even if Gus didn’t know who they were.” Ted told them.

 

“Did he say if the guy was with another kid? There weren’t that many fathers there is why I ask.” Justin said, looking at Lindsay.

 

 “We can ask Gus.” Lindsay told him.

 

They found Gus playing with a train set Brian bought him for Christmas the previous year. Justin sat next to him and Gus moved on his lap, watching the train go through a tunnel.

 

“Buddy, do you remember the play place where you talked to the guy?” Justin asked, going on when Gus nodded. “An adult asked you about me. Was he one of the fathers of your friends you played with?” Justin asked.

 

“Nope.” Gus said, giggling as the train ran in front of him.

 

“He didn’t ask you anything else or say anything else?” Justin asked.

 

“He didn’t say it to me.” Gus said, looking at Justin.

 

“What did he say?” Justin asked.

 

“He said his Angel made a mistake.” Gus told Justin.

 

“Does that make any sense to anyone?” Ted asked.

 

“Do you have a stalker?” Mel asked quietly.

 

“They both do, but none we’ve had to do more than warn.” Ted told her.

 

“Even if they did, what would be the point in telling anyone? Think about it. A stalker changes the truth into what they want it to be. If Brian is his ‘Angel’, then he wouldn’t want to have to see something that makes Brian, Justin’s.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Unless we come up with someone else, we’ll at least look into this.” Ted told Brian.

 

“Tell Corey I want Gus and Justin guarded, always.” Brian told him.

 

“I’m putting them on all of you.” Ted told them, also thinking it would be better to keep Blake away now too. “I’ll let Ben and Blake know to stay away too. Now that we don’t need Ben.” He told Brian and Emmett.

 

“Why?” Justin asked.

 

“Us being in the same city tends to turn things crazier.” Emmett told him.

 

“Unless you're announcing they're here, it shouldn’t.” Brian told Ted.

 

“You guys need me to be on this and nothing else right now.” Ted told him.

 

“That’s true. But having someone there at the end of the road, or night, makes the rest easier.” Brian told him, looking at Justin.

 

“If he could get here without everyone finding out.” Ted blew off.

 

“Well… actually, we sort of perfected it.” Justin shrugged.

 

“I’ll call Travis.” Brian told Justin, while Ted saw the communication without talking that Mel had described.

 

“What will Travis do?” Ted asked.

 

“Get Blake here without having anyone know he landed. Daphne’s boyfriend’s company charters private flights. When we needed him, he flew Brian personally since it makes Daphne happy.” Justin told him.

 

“He could stay at my house. But it won’t hide him being here if my stuff comes out.” Emmett offered.

 

“I have a place he can be. It’s where I planned to spend the break before everything happened. Let me get busy with what we have. You guys enjoy your time with Gus. Emmett, we need to know where Drew is on this. And girls, I think Brian and Justin would like their house back.” Ted ordered wanting to get done so he could talk to Blake about everything.