- Text Size +

Justin decided that instead of the dinners his mother liked to throw he’d rather make it less formal and more like when his friends got together. From the way Lindsay talked about Brian in the past, the whole formal dinner wasn’t his thing. Justin just wanted them all to relax and to make it easier on Gus to be included. He called Lindsay and Mel and made sure they both liked seafood and was told they’d bring something for Gus to eat, so he could just deal with the adults. Justin started the paella he hoped everyone would like. Waiting until it was ready to simmer before going to take a shower. 

 

Brian came in, not seeing Justin, only smelling something that told him his blond could cook. Brian heard the shower and Justin singing away and decided he might need him to help with his hard to reach areas. Which was the only reason he wasn’t thrilled to answer the phone instead. In truth, he almost wanted to thank Justin for coming out of the shower still dancing and very naked for not biting Claire’s head off for calling him.

 

“What?” Brian asked, missing whatever his sister was whining about over the phone.

 

“I said, our mother was in an accident and you need to get your ass to the hospital,” Claire whined at him.

 

“Is she dead, dying, or has she killed someone?” Brian asked.

 

“Is that the only way you’ll care?” Claire asked.

 

“How serious is it?” Brian asked, annoyed and wanting to get the conversation over with.

 

“She’s just bumped and bruised, but she’s also in a bit of trouble. Which is why you need to come here and handle it for her.” Claire told him.

 

“Why, is she in trouble?” Brian asked as Justin got dressed, much to his disappointment.

 

“Everything okay?” Justin whispered, only to have Brian kiss him, missing what Claire told him.

 

“Brian are you listening to me?” Claire shouted.

 

“Nope. So say it again.” Brian told her.

 

“She drove her car into her garage door and the fucking nosy neighbor called the police when she just backed the car out and drove to church. It’s not like she hurt anyone else, only the fucking garage door to her house. The police arrested her before they brought her to the hospital to make sure we couldn’t sue them if she’d been hurt and they stuck her in a cell.” Claire told him.

 

“What do you expect me to do about it? I’m assuming she wasn’t sober when it happened, so other than hiring her a lawyer, I don’t see the point in my being there.” Brian told her.

 

“I expect you to for once show some loyalty to your family, when Dad’s bastard wouldn’t,” Claire told him.

 

“What did you expect Brandon to do about ‘our mother’?” Brian asked.

 

“Not arrest her, which is what he did,” Claire told him.

 

“Is he there?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes. And probably enjoying embarrassing mother and me, like it makes him feel good to treat us like crap,” Claire told him.

 

“Hand him the phone,” Brian told her.

 

“Why? I need you to deal with this.” Claire shrieked.

 

“GIVE. THE. PHONE. TO. BRANDON.” Brian gritted out.

 

“Hey. Sorry, I tried to tell her I’d call you and explain everything, but well, you know her,” Brandon told him.

 

“What happens after she gets done at the hospital?” Brian asked.

 

“She’s staying overnight for observation. She broke her nose. I asked the doctor to keep her here until morning, as a favor. I’d rather not bring her in until she’s sobered up in the morning.” Brandon told him.

 

“What did she do?” Brian asked, knowing Brandon was trying to protect him.

 

“She got pretty belligerent with the cop arresting her, and wasn’t happy when I showed up. She made sure everyone knew I was going to burn in hell, then tried to get away from the officer when he went to arrest her. The officer agreed not to add trying to escape arrest to her charges, but there’s nothing I can do about the DUI.” Brandon told him.

 

“Do I need to come?” Brian asked.

 

“No. The only reason she’s staying here is to sober up before she and Claire make even bigger idiots out of themselves in front of the whole department. Lucky for her this is her first DUI and the other cop was willing to overlook her behavior for me.” Brandon told him.

 

“Just call me if Claire gives you shit.” Brian told him.

 

“I’ve got this for you. Enjoy your evening and tell Justin to save me a plate.” Brandon told him.

 

“What’s going on?” Justin asked, concerned.

 

“I’ll deal with it in the morning,” Brian told him, not wanting to explain his mother and sister yet.

 

“If you need to go, I can call and cancel tonight with Lindsay and Mel,” Justin told him.

 

“I’d rather be here with you and Gus. It’s nothing I can’t deal with tomorrow.” Brian told him, going to change clothes.

 

“It sounded serious,” Justin told him, sitting on the bed.

 

Brian changed thinking about how to explain his mother to Justin. It wasn’t easy for him to talk about his family even with the people who knew about his past, and with their relationship only just starting, did Justin really need to know about the shit that came with his mother and sister? Brian remembered what Ted said and knew eventually it would be something Justin needed to know, so he took a breath and told Justin what happened tonight and why he wasn’t going to let it affect their plans for the night.

 

“I can go with you tomorrow if you need me to.” Justin offered.

 

“I can deal with it. I’m just glad only the garage door was damaged and not worse,” Brian told him.

 

“I’m sure you can deal with it, but since we’re together that means I want to be there for you,” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t want you to have to deal with the bullshit that comes with my mother and Claire. They aren’t going to be happy I’m there, much less my boyfriend.” Brian told him.

 

“You’re worried about what they’ll say about me?” Justin asked.

 

“I don’t include them in my life because nothing about my life would be worth hearing what they think about it. It’s just not something I want you to have to see.” Brian told him.

 

“I won’t think any less of you because of your family. We all have shitty people, but it doesn’t define who we are.” Justin told him.

 

“Can we just enjoy tonight and deal with it tomorrow?” Brian answered, not sure why he was agreeing to let Justin meet Claire and St Joan.

 

“Can I offer a suggestion before we drop it for the night?” Justin asked.

 

“As long as we do, at least until Mel and Lindsay go home.” Brian told him.

 

“Blake should come with us. He’s dealt with people who need help and might be able to talk your mother into treatment.” Justin told him.

 

“I doubt she’ll agree. Nothing is more important to my mother than her next drink, not even when her son was being beaten,” Brian said wishing he could unsay it.

 

“Then she can sink or swim on her own if she doesn’t take what your willing to do for her,” Justin told him, trying not to react to what Brian just told him. It wasn’t like he didn’t know about Jack Kinney from Brandon.

 

“Brandon told you about dear ole dad didn’t he?” Brian asked, following Justin out of the room.

 

“Enough that I think roasting in hell was too good for him.” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t want pity. It’s one thing I don’t want from anyone.” Brian told him.

 

“You survived and became you, so no pity from me. Just understand that if they think I’ll put up with bullshit from them, they’ll wish they walked away.” Justin warned.

 

“Gonna defend my honor?” Brian teased.

 

“Well yeah, I mean the sex alone is worth putting up with hellhounds for.” Justin joked, trying to lighten the mood.

 

“I’ve created a monster,” Brian smirked, as the buzzer sounded.

 

Justin watched as Brian took Gus, and saw the way he let go of anything bothering him to pay attention to his son. Lindsay smiled as she watched Brian wander around whispering to Gus and pointing out Justin to him. Mel ignored them, going to the kitchen to talk to Justin.

 

“So how are you dealing with Asshole?” She joked.

 

“He’s nothing like I thought.” Justin told her.

 

“Strangely enough he gets better the longer you know him.” Mel told him.

 

“Smelly Melly that’s almost sweet,” Brian commented.

 

“Shut up, you know I love you.” Mel told him, taking Gus.

 

“Wendy, I think I just heard the four horsemen.” Brian teased.

 

“Yeah, well can they wait until after dinner because I’m starving. Meanwhile you two can pretend to hate each other to hold the horsemen at the door.” Lindsay told them.

 

“Mel can we talk while Justin finishes?” Brian asked.

 

“Everything okay?” Lindsay asked.

 

“As okay as it can be with my mother.” Brian answered her.

 

“I’ll help Justin, just let me know if you need me too.” Lindsay offered.

 

“Thanks, but Justin and I can handle this,” Brian told her and wondered why that excited Lindsay.