- Text Size +

Ben thought about canceling a few times. It wasn’t like he had any obligation to go. Only, he was ready to start living again and liked the idea of meeting people outside the school. Ben knew he’d been wary of people since he seemed to constantly attract the wrong men. Hell, he wasn’t even interested in the student, he was just trying to help, and ended up with a stalker. What bothered him was the way Michael seem to be assessing him, like he was nothing but a slab of meat. Ben was used to being looked at, but he didn’t want it to be the only reason people were interested in him. It bothered him the way Michael only seemed to see the outside and not to the person Ben was. In the end he decided to stop overthinking it and go. It wasn’t like this was a date, it was just a chance to meet new people. He was at Michael’s shop, not willing to back out at the last minute over something he should be just thinking of as an excuse to get out in public.

 

When he walked in Michael was sitting with some kid, arguing about some comic. It was good natured and made Ben feel sort like an asshole for thinking something was wrong with Michael. Michael looked up and once again Ben almost offered an excuse not to go. It was because Michael looked disappointed in Ben for some reason. 

 

Michael wanted to ask Ben if he understood what club clothes were. Instead of looking like they were going clubbing Ben was dressed like he was going to dinner. Michael debated it and figured the school teacher look could work anyway. 

 

“Let me lock up and we can go.” Michael told him as the kid left.

 

“How about filling me in on the people who will be there?” Ben asked when he couldn’t think of anything else to say.

 

“My best friend Brian will be there, at least he better.” Michael mumbled.

 

“Anyone else?” Ben asked.

 

“Ma told me the guys all agreed to come, even though I wasn’t thrilled they all wanted to bring other people,” Michael told him, following him out the door.

 

“Is there some reason that’s a problem, I mean, since you’re bring me?” Ben asked.

 

“It’s just I don’t really approve of some of the people they want to bring, and no matter what I tell my Ma, she acts like I’m the one who’s wrong. She can’t seem to get it through her head that my best friend is screwing up his life by thinking some guy he barely knows means more to him than I should. We’ve been best friends all our lives and now it’s like this guy is the only thing Brian cares about. I should be just as important to him, but no, it’s all about the blond twink who won’t leave.” Michael ranted, as Ben thought about turning around and going home.

 

By the time they reached Deb’s house Michael was still going on and on about his friendship with Brian, and Ben was just happy that it wasn’t him that Michael was obsessing over. Which changed as soon they walked into the house. Michael started to cling to him in a way that he wasn’t comfortable with since he didn’t think Michael was interested in anyone but the guy Brian he went on and on about. Michael looked around, not seeing Brian but spotting the blond interloper standing at the stove with Deb. He suddenly walked off without a thought to Ben, wanting to find a way to get the blond alone and explain why he needed to stop confusing Brian. 

 

Justin was having a great time learning to make sauce from scratch and loved the stories of how Deb and her brother would experiment together and use the boys as guinea pigs. Deb enjoyed the fact that Justin was genuinely interested in her stories and didn’t mind that she was talking her head off. She’d been upset at Michael for the last couple of days after Carl told her what he had done at the station. It was hard for her to not want to march over there herself that day, but she listened to Carl and wasn’t going to get involved unless Brian wanted her to. Now she wished she’d gone just to drag her son out of there. 

 

Deb had no plans for Michael to see this dinner as her siding with him. For her, it was about having her boys and girls around. Something that had been happening less and less as the years went on. She knew when it started, it was when Gus came into their lives. Michael hadn’t been happy from the moment Lindsay announced the pregnancy. Instead, he ignored it. Deb knew for Michael it was a case of ‘ignore it until it can’t be ignored’. After Gus was born and got attention, Michael couldn’t ignore it anymore and did everything he could think of to interfere with any time Brian wanted to spend with Gus. Deb knew it got to the point where Brian would have to go MIA in order to spend time with Gus. Which was what Brian once again did when he met the cutie who was currently helping her cook.

 

She had been trying to get Michael to see what all of them had known for years. While she loved her idiot son, her other boys would not be expected to give up their lives for him anymore. Deb let that go on too long, and it led to Michael’s refusal to see the truth. With his interest in Ben, she hoped it would change something. She once again had her hopes dashed when Michael went from practically molesting Ben coming in the door, to leaving the guy alone with a room full of strangers when he didn’t see Brian. Deb had been distracted at first, wondering how Emmett would deal with seeing Drew again, but she couldn’t miss the way Michael searched the room, only to look upset that Brian wasn’t here to see his entrance. Which only led her to wonder what Michael was up to and why he wanted to make it sound like he was interested in Ben.

 

“Could you do me a favor?” Deb asked Justin.

 

“You want me to make Ben feel welcome?” Justin asked, noticing the handsome man standing unsurely with the others.

 

“If you would, and maybe we can figure out what Michael is up to this time,” Deb said, rolling her eyes.

 

“Yeah, it didn’t look like Ben was as interested as Michael wanted everyone to believe,” Emmett whispered to them.

 

Justin walked over to Ben, who was relieved not to be left standing by himself. Ben looked over Justin with interest, but not seeing it returned he let it go and was just happy to have someone introduce him to the four people sitting in the living room. Ben was a bit shocked that one of the guys was Conner James but managed not to show it. He noticed that none of them made a big deal about Conner. They treated him like he was just one of the gang. 

 

“How did you guys meet?” Ben asked, curiously.

 

“I met Justin through Brett, then Blake along with Justin, and then Ted through Blake,” Conner said, smiling at the guys.

 

“There are days I wish you and Justin never met, it would have saved me the bail money.” Brett teased.

 

“He just doesn’t understand the art of dumpster diving.” Justin said, snickering.

 

“Which I will happily live in ignorance of just to avoid the smell.” Brett told them.

 

“It’s why I agreed to be the look-out anytime they dragged me with them,” Blake told them.

 

“Okay, I’m going to ask. Why?” Ben asked, trying to picture Conner and Justin swimming in garbage and not being able to come up with any logical reason for it.

 

“My sister uses junk metal for sculptures. So we all help to keep her from running wild in her search.” Justin explained.

 

“Only now, it’s like a huge game to get things that Molly can use to make her stuff,” Conner told him.

 

“While Jen and I end up having to drag your asses out of trouble.” Brett laughed.

 

“We’ve managed to get out of it alone once in a while,” Conner said, pretending to be offended.

 

“Only because the cops don’t want the press coverage that comes with arresting you and the owners of the garbage don’t want anyone questioning why they didn’t recycle.” Blake said, giggling.

 

“Jesus. I didn’t bring Ben here for you guys to monopolize every conversation.” Michael interrupted.

 

“It’s called including him in a conversation,” Blake stated.

 

“Which we didn’t see YOU doing with your guest.” Deb chimes in.

 

Michael started to say something but stopped when Brian came in the door with the girls and Drew. Everyone was focused on Emmett as Drew came in the door, while Michael waited for Brian to notice him.

 

“I’m going to kill you Brian.” Emmett told him, taking off out the backdoor.

 

“I forgot the backdoor.” Brian joked to Ted.

 

“It’s good to see everyone.” Drew said quickly as he walked out, following Emmett.

 

“He can run, but in the end, Emmett won’t hide from his problems,” Ted told Brian.

 

Michael couldn’t believe no one was even acting like he was in the room. He got up and once again latched on to Ben, waiting for Brian to notice. Which didn’t happen since Brian was more interested in Justin. Lindsay passed Gus off to Justin before she noticed Ben standing there. 

 

“Hey, I haven’t seen you in a while.” Lindsay said to Ben, walking over while wondering what the hell he was doing with Michael.

 

“I figured it was time to get off the campus. Michael was kind enough to invite me.” Ben told her, managing to get Michael to let go of him. 

 

Brian looked over, taking his attention off Justin and Gus. It took a second for him to remember where he’d seen Ben before, and decided it would be better to act like they didn’t know each other. It wasn’t that he was worried about Justin’s reaction. Justin knew Brian had a past. Michael’s could be iffy though, and Brian didn’t want to deal with the drama. Ben remembered but didn’t see the reason to bring up a one night stand, especially since it looked like Brian was really interested in Justin. 

 

“I wanted everyone to meet Ben, and I thought we could show him around Liberty Avenue after dinner.” Michael said, looking up at Ben in adoration.

 

“I’ve been there.” Ben mentioned, trying to figure out what Michael was doing.

 

“Yeah, but not with us. People are missing having the stud out lately.” Michael said, smirking at Justin.

 

“Brandon’s been busy.” Ted joked, as Brian flicked him off.

 

“Like anyone cares about him. They can’t believe Brian hasn’t graced the backroom lately the way he usually does,” Michael told them.

 

“Why bother when Justin leaves them all in the dust.” Brian said, kissing Justin.

 

“I do feel bad for them, since I understand what they're missing,” Justin told him, as everyone hooted.

 

“Well, the boys at the diner are disappointed that Brian snapped you up first,” Deb told him.

 

“Likely they’re just waiting for Brian to throw him back.” Michael snapped.

 

“Am I missing something?” Ben asked as the room seemed to be taking on a hostile air.

 

“Is he Michael, or is the rest of us who are?” Brian asked.

 

“Can we eat yet?” Michael said, not wanting Ben to find out what he been telling everyone.

 

The door opened as Carl and Brandon came in with a few bags. Michael couldn’t believe someone invited the asshole. It further pissed him off when Deb treated Brandon like he was welcome, making Michael want to say something to get him to leave. He didn’t even notice Ben’s reaction to Brandon. Brian noticed that Ben couldn’t seem to take his eyes off of Brandon. Brandon, on the other hand, ignored Ben’s presence. Brian wondered if it was because Brandon didn’t believe in poaching, or just saw anyone interested in Michael as no one he’d be interested in. Brian figured he’d see how it played out before he tried to see if Ben could be someone good for Brandon. With that thought, he grabbed Justin’s hand and smiled when he still had his dick, since he felt like Lindsay and her ‘everyone should be in love’ idea. 

 

Justin looked at Brian, trying to figure out what he was doing. For a minute he smiled, then seemed to get confused before kissing Justin and staring at him like he’d never seen him before. 

 

“Are you okay?” Justin whispered.

 

“I just realized something I want to tell you later.” Brian told him.

 

“YOU know it’s impolite to talk only to yourselves. I brought someone over and all of you are acting like nothing is more important than yourselves.” Michael snapped.

 

Michael couldn’t believe it, not one of them acted like Ben being here with him was worth noticing. Brian wouldn’t take his eyes off the fucking blond and what the hell was his mother doing letting Brandon come to a FAMILY dinner. He wanted to scream to everyone that he should be the one everyone was talking about. He couldn’t even bitch about Emmett’s love life taking the center stage, since he’d left the house. Michael tried to calm down and take a minute to figure out how he could make all the interlopers feel how unwelcome they were in his presence and in his friends lives. Brian and Ted walked into the kitchen, wanting to check on Emmett. Michael saw an opening to make a move to prove to Brian that he was willing to accept Gus as part of his life. He started towards Justin, planning to take Gus from him. Gus was babbling away to Justin and clung tightly to the blond when Michael reached for him. Michael started to pull on Gus’ arm, only to be faced with an angry Mel.

 

“What are you doing?” Mel asked when Gus shook his head and clung to Justin.

 

“Nothing. Can’t I be interested in our Gussy?” Michael snapped.

 

“That’d be a first.” Brandon muttered, coming over.

 

“Only because of YOU! Every time I see Gus you’re there, acting like everyone wants you around.” Michael sneered.

 

“Why wouldn’t we. Since unlike you, Brandon welcomed Gus when he was born.” Lindsay said, ready to kick Michael’s ass.

 

Of course, the moment Brandon walked over Gus leaped out of Justin’s arms and into Brandon’s. Justin smiled, not even upset that Gus wanted his favorite uncle, proving Lindsay’s point. Michael scowled that once again everyone treated him like the outsider when they all should see him as the only reason Brian still bothered with them.

 

“Do you want me around, Gus?” Brandon asked, getting a sloppy kiss from Gus as a response.

 

“Unlike you Michael, Brandon comes over only wanting to spend time with Gus. Not to go on and on about me forcing Brian into having Gus,” Lindsay said, not willing to let Michael screw with Brandon.

 

“While you come over to remind us that Brian doesn’t owe us anything for tricking him into having Gus.” Mel added.

 

“He never wanted to be a father, yet because Lindsay whined and whined he ended up agreeing just to shut you up.” Michael told them.

 

“Believe what you want if it helps you sleep at night.” Mel told him.

 

“Anything but the truth. My brother did it because he wanted to and was happy to have Gus.” Brandon whispered to Justin.

 

“How about we all eat while we wait and see if Emmett and Drew come back,” Deb suggested, not wanting to see the fight that was brewing.

 

Everyone started making their way to the table. Michael made his way to his usual seat, expecting Brian to sit next to him. Instead, Deb put Ben next to him, and Brian sat with Justin on one side and Gus on the other. Michael waited for Brian to get annoyed that he and Michael were separated, only to have Brian whispering in Justin’s ear.

 

“Get a room.” Michael snapped when they didn’t seem to realize there were other people around.

 

Justin wanted to roll his eyes but he also wondered if Brian was right, that Brandon was ignoring Ben because of Michael. Ben seemed ready to bolt until Brandon came in the door. When everyone was still staring daggers at Michael, Justin decided to try to help by changing the subject. 

 

“I’m surprised we’ve never met before. I’ve shown some of my work at Carnegie,” Justin told him.

 

“I’ve seen both your sister’s and your work, but for a while I didn’t really like being around big crowds,” Ben told him.

 

“But he’s willing to suffer for my sake.” Michael said, wishing Justin would shut up.

 

“It sounded like a nice way to meet people versus the club scene. I’ve become a bit of a loner after a few problems.” Ben said, not willing to play into whatever it was Michael was doing.

 

“I thought you looked familiar.” Brandon said, finally looking over at Ben.

 

“It wasn’t the greatest way to meet, but I remember.” Ben said, smiling.

 

“Was this the student thing?” Lindsay asked.

 

“The kid just needed help. Unfortunately, he saw my willingness to listen as more than it was,” Ben told her.

 

“It has to be hard to want to be there but knowing sometimes the person takes it the wrong way or sees what you're doing in the wrong context. I know when I was teaching that sometimes students mistook my interest as more.” Lindsay told Ben.

 

“He was just lonely and saw it for more than it was. I tried to explain it to him, but in the end it got out of hand.” Ben told them.

 

“It happens a lot though, unfortunately.” Carl told them, looking at Michael.

 

Michael didn’t like the way Carl was looking at him, almost implying that he had the same problem. Carl didn’t know shit. He didn’t know that Brian spent years letting Michael know he was the only person Brian truly cared about. He didn’t know that when Brian needed someone he always showed up here, letting Michael help him. Michael wasn’t making up the fact that Brian loved him and only him. Brian had told him. While Brian never acted on it, it was only because he wasn’t ready for the relationship Michael would expect. Maybe the student didn’t take it the wrong way. Maybe Ben was the problem, the way Michael only saw Brian’s unwillingness to give in to what he and Michael could have.

 

“Or it’s because the person leads them on, making them believe they want the same things. Then acts like they never made promises, and turns their back on the person they treated like the only person they loved.” Michael ranted.

 

“Are you fucking serious? So to you it’s the victim's fault?” Mel asked incredulously.

 

“No. It’s the fault of the asshole who tells someone they love them for years, then runs off with someone who doesn’t deserve them when you’ve fucking been there for them,” Michael told everyone.

 

“I never once encouraged any of my students to think anything but that I’m their teacher and that I’m there to give them guidance,” Ben said, defending himself.

 

Michael looked around and realized no one was seeing what he was trying to say. Brian bit his lip, while Justin quietly ate, trying not to get involved in this mess Michael had dug himself into. Ted wanted to apologize for no other reason than he felt like Ben deserved one. Conner starred Michael down waiting for the next stupid thing to come out of his mouth.

 

“I’m just saying that when you include someone in every part of your life, you shouldn’t then act like you didn’t encourage them to believe you meant it,” Michael told them.

 

“No, just decide the victim deserved to be a victim of someone else, wishing for shit that was no way implied just because they were nice and being a human being. Sorry, sell that bullshit to someone who hasn’t been there.” Conner tells him.

 

“You can’t expect to have your career and not deal with the shit that comes with it.” Michael told him.

 

“Okay, I’m going to re-ask. Are you serious?” Justin asked when he couldn’t take any more.

 

“It’s really none of your business. You’re the reason Brian is hiding his real feelings. He latched onto you because with me it would be forever, not just until he gets tired of playing house like he’s doing with you. While he’s likely making you think it’s more, it never can be because Brian is one thing, he’s honest, and wouldn’t tell you what he’s told me all our lives.” Michael told Justin smugly.

 

“What’s that Michael?” Justin asked.

 

“That he loves me, always has and always will. Tell me, has he told you anything close to that?” Michael sneered.

 

“Nope. But only because that’s something Justin will hear when we’re alone, not to make a point to you or anyone else.” Brian answered.

 

“I’m sure that’s what you want HIM to believe right now.” Michael snapped at Brian.

 

“I’m sure it’s what you want to believe.” Brandon contradicted.

 

“Why the fuck are you even here? This is my family, not yours. That goes for you and you too.” Michael said, pointing at Blake and Justin. 

 

“Does that go for Drew also?” Emmett asked, coming in with Drew.

 

“Everything okay?” Ted asked Emmett, no longer interested in anything Michael had to say.

 

“Not sure yet. I’m willing to at least listen, which means we’re going to skip dinner.” Emmett told them.

 

Deb got up, wanting to make sure Emmett was okay. She put her hands on his face and made him look straight at her before whispering to him. “Don’t let your fears lose you what you can have.” 

 

“I thought it was desperation that made you decide on Carl.” Michael said, furious when she was more concerned about Emmett than him.

 

“Red, remember what I said.” Carl mentioned.

 

“Wow, do you really think that works?” Justin asked, looking at Michael.

 

“What?” Michael asked belligerently.

 

“Shitting on everyone because you don’t get your way. Does that work?” Justin asked.

 

“Fuck you. I don’t need life lessons from nothing more than a guy Brian is fucking more than once.” Michael spat.

 

“Is that the problem? That Brian is actually fucking Justin, or that he never fucked you?” Brandon asked.

 

“You know, I think maybe I should go,” Ben said, getting up and leaving before anyone could stop him.

 

“Do you see what he did, he made Ben uncomfortable.” Michael said, pointing a finger at Justin. 

 

“Actually, I’m wondering why it seems like you’re going out of your way to make everyone uncomfortable in front of your guest,” Carl told him.

 

“I’m not the one who’s sitting at the table practically eye fucking Brian, and acting like no one else is in the room,” Michael spat back.

 

“ENOUGH! Michael, I think if anyone needs to leave it’s you. I won’t have you coming into Carl’s and my house and upsetting everyone because you can’t face the truth. That Brian is never going to love you the way you want. Right now I’m not sure why anyone would want to be stuck with a self-absorbed brat. One who never gives anything but expects everyone to give him what he wants.” Deb shouted.

 

“I’ve been there for everything. I drove him home when he was too drunk to drive himself. I was there when he needed someone. So, no fat-assed blond shit is going to waltz in and get what I’ve been waiting for all my life!” Michael yelled.

 

“You’re right Michael, ‘no fat-assed blond shit is going to get what you want,” Brian told him.

 

“See!” Michael said excitedly, glaring at Justin.

 

“Justin Taylor, on the other hand, can have anything he wants,” Brian said, deciding that Michael needed to hear it from him.

 

“What does he have that I don’t?” Michael whispered with tears in his eyes.

 

“You don’t want that answer Michael.” Brian warned him.

 

“Or you really don’t want him and don’t want to say it’s me.” Michael tells him.

 

“Michael let it go.” Ted warned.

 

“No. Brian needs to admit the truth. I don’t care what any of you believe.” Michael said, staring at Brian.

 

“I don’t love you as more than the childhood friends I thought we were. I never have and never will, Mikey. I didn’t do relationships only because I hadn’t found someone I wanted to try one with, not because I wasn’t ready.” Brian told him.

 

“You're ready now? Why him?” Michael asked, needing something he could fight.

 

Brian looked at Deb, who nodded to say she understood what he needed to do. 

 

“I don’t feel like I have to be anyone but me for Justin. He doesn’t care about my reputation or act like it’s the most important thing about me. Instead, he sees the other parts of me, the parts you never could. Justin likes the father, the businessman, and the brother, not the guy who you think is more important. He gives me everything you don’t. So like I said, it could never have been you.” Brian told him, getting up holding Justin’s hand. 

 

“If you leave with him, we’re done.” Michael told him.

 

“If that’s what you really want,” Brian told him, saying good-bye to everyone and walking out the door with Justin.

 

Michael watched as everyone hugged Deb and Carl good-bye, ignoring him as they started to leave. He waited for everyone to act like it was Brian in the wrong, only to be left standing in the kitchen alone. Carl got up and helped Deb clean up, neither of them saying anything to Michael, who waited, expecting his mother to do something when his world was falling apart. When she and Carl finished cleaning up she walked over to him and led him to the door. Michael walked out, thinking she wanted privacy to console him since Carl was an asshole about Michael. Instead of following him onto the porch, she shook her head, closed the door, locked it and turned off the porch light. Deb couldn’t see the point in repeating herself when nothing got through to Michael.