- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Justin waited for Daphne to get to his house. With the crap going on since Brian left to work out of town, Justin just wanted to get away from Pittsburgh. He was almost afraid to open his door since the last two times what was waiting for him on the other side was the police. The first was a call saying Justin was apparently robbing the house Brian Kinney owned. The caller claimed to be a concerned neighbor. The police swarmed the yard and scared the hell out of Lindsay, Mel, and Justin, who were out in the back having lunch. The police had been saved from the wrath of all three of them when Carl came running back there after hearing about the call. Carl talked to the cops standing in the yard while Justin and Lindsay started making coffee for everyone since they were wasting their time waiting to be told to go. Mel had the deed to the house faxed over to show that Justin was one of the owners of the house. The second call came when Justin was at the loft hanging out with Emmett. The police received a noise complaint. Yet when they asked the others in the building, they all told the police there hadn't been any noise. At that point Carl wanted Justin to file a report for harassment from the anonymous caller. The only problem was the calls were made from a burner phone, so there wasn't any way to trace them. Justin and Carl listened to the calls, and Justin thought it might be one of Claire's boys, but he really hadn't talked to them enough to say for sure. Brandon told them it actually sounded like the younger son, but again, he, like Justin, hadn't really had a conversation with either of the boys. Carl called Claire asking her to bring the boys to the station, explaining why. Claire showed up alone and demanded to file a complaint against Justin and Brandon, saying they were the ones who were harassing her and her boys. Which meant backing off until Brian could be here, and that was something Justin was hoping they could avoid since he hadn't mentioned any of it when Brian called to check in with him.

 

Daphne thought he was nuts to want to deal with St Joan but wasn't willing to let Justin be abused without back up. When she asked why he needed to see Joan, Justin told her he needed to make sure Joan stuck it out. 

 

"How?" Daphne asked.

 

"I'll figure it out when I get there." He shrugged.

 

Justin figured it was a good time to check on Joan, since Blake called, ready to kill her and Claire. Claire had shown up when Joan was allowed visitors, and brought her mother a present. It might not have been funny, but there was humor in it. Apparently Claire felt her mother being there caused her discomfort, so she decided to help her mother out, she brought her a bottle of vodka. Claire seemed to forget that with Joan, if she didn't get what she wanted, then she didn't suffer in silence. She proceeded to yell at Claire for not bringing her sherry instead. Which caught the attention of the aide in the common room, who came over to get the bottle, while Joan tried to run while drinking as much as she could. When they got the bottle away, Joan made sure they knew Claire was responsible, not her. Then got angry that Claire was banned from the facility. Joan proceeded to tell the staff she wasn't an alcoholic and was only there to prove it. Blake wasn't as amused since they had to restart her rehab. Justin wasn't going to make Brian deal with this, and decided to face off with Joan again. He was surprised when Joan agreed to the visit after Blake asked. He was no longer surprised once he and Daphne got there. The police were waiting out front with Blake, making Justin start to suspect where the anonymous calls were coming from.

 

"Are you Justin Taylor?" The cop asked, not letting Blake say anything.

 

"Yes," Justin answered, ignoring him to talk to Blake. "I'm assuming some called saying I did something?" Justin asked.

 

The cop stepped in front of Blake before he could say anything. "I need to search your person and car." He demanded.

 

"Is there a reason for that?" Daphne asked when Justin was going to let him.

 

"The director of the facility received a call that Mr Taylor's visit here isn't for the reasons Mr Wyzecki is trying to make everyone believe." He said looking at Justin for his answer.

 

"Which was?" Justin asked.

 

"To deal with to patients, which as I've told you and the director is ludicrous," Blake said sarcastically.

 

"You've told us. But we need to protect the patients." The cop told him.

 

"I'll allow it, but only if after you find nothing, we can speak to the person who took the call," Justin told him.

 

"Is there a reason for that?" The cop asked.

 

"In the past month, someone anonymously likes to call and have the police at my door. It's happened three times and while it's annoying for me, and a waste of your resources. I'd like it to stop." Justin tells him.

 

"Three times? Not just the one time I know about?" Blake asked.

 

"The other two happened in the last couple of days, and you've been busy," Justin told him, knowing Brian's reaction to it wasn't going to be pleasant when he got back. "So search away," Justin told the cops holding his arms out.

 

The cop actually apologized as if he felt bad for doing it, and patted Justin down. Then he went to the car with the keys and searched every inch of it. Justin stood with Blake and Daphne watching until the cops finished and apologized for doing their job.

 

"Is Joan able to make calls to Claire and the boys?" Justin asked Blake.

 

"Yes. It's the last privilege I have yet to take away." Blake told him.

 

"Did she talk to them after she found out I was coming today?" Justin asked and Blake nodded. Dammit, he didn't want to be right, for Brian's sanity.

 

Justin didn't ask him anything more, just followed the cops into the director's office. Justin gave one of the cops Carl's number and told him to inform Carl what was going on. The director offered an apology when they went to his office, but also said he had to do what was best for his patients too. 

 

"I just need some information about the caller. I understand you have to protect your patients." Justin told him, when the guy looked nervous about doing his job.

 

"Mr Taylor has been experiencing a few issues with anonymous calls to the police lately," Blake told him.

 

"All the calls have been proven wrong, and while I appreciate the police department's diligence, having to deal with it isn't how I like to spend my days," Justin explains.

 

"How can I help?" He asks.

 

"Is the caller a male, and does he sound young?" Justin asks.

 

"Male yes, and while I can't swear to it, yes he did sound youthful." He tells Justin.

 

"Do you record your calls?" The cop asked.

 

"No. We've never really had a reason to do it. The patients' calls are monitored by the aides, but we try to allow them privacy when talking to loved ones. We do have caller ID if that would help." He tells us.

 

"The calls were coming from burner phones," Justin tells the cop.

 

The director wrote the number down for them, then excused himself since he needed to get back to work. Justin picked up the phone and called the number putting the phone on speaker, just on the hope someone would answer. No one did, but the answering machine informed him that Claire, Peter, and John weren't available, in Claire's bored voice.

 

"I really didn't want to be right," Justin told Blake.

 

"Do you know them?" The cop asked.

 

"Yes. She's my partner's sister and just filed a complaint against me for harassing her. I have a feeling she found out one of her sons was making the calls, or she's getting them to do it and doesn't want to admit it. I'm just surprised this time it was the home phone when it's been a burner till now." Justin tells him.

 

"Whoever it is, probably didn't think that calling here would trace back to him, where the public knows the police can trace a call to the location, the person probably didn't think it would be a problem with the rehab. At least this is enough that they won't avoid having to answer some questions and possibly stop the harassment you've been dealing with."  He tells Justin.

 

"Do I need to go with you?" Justin asked.

 

"I'm sure they'll call you when they need you. Enjoy your visit." The cop said, walking them out of the office. 

 

Justin, Daphne, and Blake all snorted at the idea that this visit would be enjoyable in the least. Joan was sitting alone at a table, glaring at all the others who were talking and generally enjoying their free time. Justin walked over with Daphne, and Joan looked extremely uncomfortable at Daphne being there.

 

"Do you have a problem with me?" Daphne asked, unwilling to put up with anyone having issues with her.

 

"I don't see why this young man thinks he can involve others in my business," Joan told her.

 

"I honestly couldn't care less what your problem is, but I do care about my best friend. So when I know someone is going to treat him like crap, I like to be there to support him." She told Joan.

 

Blake walked over and joined them, and while Joan didn't smile, she didn't try to get him to leave. "We need to talk about your daughter and grandsons." He informed her.

 

"You already forced them to abandon me, what now?" Joan said as if Blake had broken all ten commandments.

 

"You want to tell her?" Daphne asked Blake.

 

"She needs to know what's going to happen, even if she can't do anything about it from here. It's likely Claire will tell her and I'd rather inform her now, not after." Blake told her.

 

"Inform me about what?" Joan said, sounding weary as if nothing good ever came from her daughter.

 

"Justin's been dealing with someone calling the police, claiming things that were false. The caller was young and male, and once again today a call came. Only today it was to the director here, concerning Justin. This time claiming Justin was coming here to deal with to patients, not to visit you like you knew he would." Blake told her.

 

"His problems with the police aren't our fault," Joan told them, either acting like she didn't understand why it had anything to do with her or her daughter and grandsons or she really didn't know..

 

"The last phone call was to the director who does have caller ID. Guess what number called here?" Daphne interrupted.

 

"I'm sure I wouldn't know," Joan told her.

 

"The answering machine said that Claire, Peter, and John weren't available," Blake told her.

 

"Are you trying to accuse one of my grandsons?" Joan asked, looking offended.

 

"Did you tell them Justin would be here today?" Blake asked her.

 

"We tell each other everything," Joan told him.

 

"Do you agree with them lying to the police just to screw with Justin?" Daphne asked.

 

"I think you want to hurt me through them. And to answer her question, no, I wouldn't have condoned that behavior. Which I doubt they did anyway." Joan told Justin.

 

"We'll know soon. I only have one question." Justin told her. Joan scowled and waited for Justin to ask her. "Do you really think the Lord you pray to is blind to your faults just because you pray to him?"

 

"He knows he has a faithful servant in me," Joan said, sounding righteous.

 

"Yet you think he doesn't know what you do, even being all-knowing?" Justin asked her.

 

Joan took a breath, then seemed to be arguing with herself, before being willing to concede Justin's point. "I can't deny my habit got out of hand, and that you could have been right, not drinking when it suits me hasn't been easy." She said, looking unhappy to admit it.

 

"I can be okay with not being completely right where you're concerned, if you'll listen to Blake and do what is being asked of you. Otherwise, you can leave today and be ready to help Claire deal with whatever they might be responsible for. Your call." Justin told her.

 

"I can just go?" Joan asked, not seeming to like the idea.

 

"Why not? There's no use in making the people who want the help have to deal with you being angry because you think you're here by mistake. But understand, if you stay here, you don't get to bother Brian, you deal with me." Justin told her.

 

"Brian shouldn't get to ignore me. I'm his mother and deserve the respect that comes with it." Joan told him.

 

"When you give him a reason to do that, we can negotiate. So what will it be, be a good little girl and do what Blake tells you, or get out of here and deal with your daughter?" Justin asked, gambling.

 

"I'll work with you. But this isn't me admitting I was wrong," Joan told Justin.

 

Daphne and Justin walked out, leaving Blake to deal with it. Justin groaned when Brian texted him, asking if Justin forgot a couple of things when they talked last. Then Brandon texted, ‘sorry, but brother trumps friend'.

 

"So, blackmail. Either deal with being sober or her daughter, guess Claire is worse" Daphne said, snickering as they got in the car.