- Text Size +

Justin barely managed not to yell at his employees, who all seemed to know about the bet. They all seemed to think Justin should be honored that both of the most sought-after guys on Liberty Avenue were betting over him since for the first time he was the only person they both wanted. Justin didn’t get how anyone would be thrilled that guys only wanted to bed him. If he was honest, he was disappointed because he was actually attracted to Brian, and like an idiot wanted him to be different from the rumors about him. Brian was impressive without the reputation. He had started a company on a shoestring budget and became one of the biggest firms on the coast. Yet the only thing anyone saw when it came to Brian was his reputation. Which Justin was just as guilty of doing because it was why he avoided anything to do with Brandon’s brother. Justin normally didn’t go for guys because of their looks, but he couldn’t deny Brian’s looks were hard to ignore, and the fact that even drunk Justin could see Brian wanted to offer him and Molly help. Granted, he likely thought they were two homeless kids since they both ended up having to take several showers to get rid of the stink last night, but he’d still wanted to help them. To Justin, at the time it said Brian might be worth getting to know. Justin turned on his computer, needing to get to work and not think about Brian Kinney anymore.

 

He’d been working for a few hours when Daphne showed up, which usually made him laugh when the IT guys suddenly came out of their caves in hopes of getting her attention. Daphne was sweet about it and usually made their day by not acting like they didn’t stand a chance with her. He figured she’d talked to Molly since she waved but ran past all of them to get to him.

 

“So I hear your ass is worthy of a bet,” Daphne said, laughing at Justin’s scowl. “Think about it this way, you get rid of the V card with a guy who knows what he’s doing.” 

 

“Well, then I guess I should just call Brian and tell him to come over because that’s really all that’s important to me,” Justin said, rolling his eyes.

 

“You know I was just kidding. But Sweetie, you need to get a life outside of your sister and work.” Daphne told him.

 

“What did you do, talk to my mother too? Since she was the reason I ended up finding out people were betting over me, I think we can safely say she didn’t do great in her quest to get Justin out of his hole. It just pisses me off that Brandon would do this to me.” Justin told her.

 

“Are you even sure he would? He knows what it would do to his friendship with you.” Daphne told him, just not seeing Brandon do something like this.

 

“He and his brother do this all the time. And while he accepted I only wanted to be friends, I know he wanted more. I could tell he didn’t like that I was interested in his brother.” Justin told her.

 

“You actually admitted you were interested in someone? I think I need a drink or ten.” Daphne joked.

 

“Well, it doesn’t matter because all he was interested in was winning a bet,” Justin told her.

 

“Was he interested in you?” Daphne asked.

 

“I thought so, but I guess he only saw another one night stand and a way to win against Brandon,” Justin told her.

 

“That’s too bad since for the first time you were actually interested in someone. I need to get going, my mother wanted to have lunch and likely throw an eligible bachelor at me. Maybe I should invite one of your guys to throw her off.” Daphne joked, laughing at what her mother would think of the entire IT department being her date today.

 

“You’d make their day, but I need them to get busy so I can have everything ready for Brett by tomorrow,” Justin told her.

 

Daphne got up, deciding to go see the guy Justin was actually interested in. It’s not like she really had to be at lunch since her sister was planning to be there. Like Justin, she’d heard of Brian Kinney through Brandon, and wanted to see if he was really worthy of her best friend. She got to Kinnetik, liking the atmosphere until a gorgeous man came thundering out of his office, berating to guys for subpar work. She was worried they would pee their pants when Brian Kinney asked what the hell he was looking at. Daphne crept up behind him to look at the board in his hand and had to agree. Brian turned his stormy gaze on her, moving the board so she could see it better.

 

“Would you buy these shoes, if this was the print ad you saw?” Brian asked her, not realizing she didn’t work for him.

 

“I’m sure my mother would since the woman looks like she belongs in the kitchen complete with the apron, pearls, and stilettos. Granted the shoes are to die for, but the last thing I would want would be to be thought of like my mother.” Daphne told him, thinking her mother wouldn’t be caught dead cooking.

 

“Are you two getting what is wrong with this?” Brian then asked the idiot twins.

 

“I’m wondering why you hired them.” Daphne put in.

 

“Trust me, not a day goes by I don’t ask my art director the same question,” Brian mumbled then realized he didn’t have a clue who this was. “Are you here for an appointment?” Brian asked since she looked overdressed to be at work.

 

“Nope. Just trying to decide if I should get my brothers to kick your ass for betting on my best friend.” Daphne told him.

 

“Justin Taylor was not a bet,” Brian told her.

 

“How about we go somewhere private and you tell me exactly what Justin Taylor would be to you,” Daphne told him, walking right into his office.

 

Brian sat down, not sure if he should really bother since he didn’t really know anything but that he wanted Justin in his bed. Which just made the bet more believable.

 

“How about I start, because your the first man Justin actually admitted he was attracted to, and that’s an accomplishment worth celebrating since he’s been around Brandon and only saw ‘friend’. I had high hopes for Brandon, but apparently, you do it for Justin. So I’m not happy that you and your brother decided to treat Justin like a prize instead of the great guy he is.” Daphne told him.

 

“I wouldn’t know because I don’t know Justin and I didn’t make a bet with Brandon over him,” Brian told her.

 

“Yet it’s all over town, and not something you and your brother haven’t done in the past. I could see Brandon being jealous, but not doing something like this. Maybe I’m biased because I like Brandon and could tell he didn’t have a lot of people in his life he was close to, so I couldn’t see him wanting to lose what he has with Justin. But there’s also the fact that he idolizes you and maybe he stupidly forgot what this would do to his friendship with Justin.” Daphne told him.

 

“I haven’t talked to Brandon about the bet yet. At first, I thought this was his way of getting me to leave Justin alone since I didn’t hide I was interested, but I know Brandon wouldn’t do this to someone if he really cares about them.” Brian told her, not wanting Brandon to lose someone if he managed to let them in his life.

 

“Then how did it get started if neither of you made the bet? Justin isn’t someone anyone would know about on Liberty Avenue, yet now he’s infamous.” Daphne told him.

 

“How did he avoid people meeting him if he was friends with Brandon?” Brian asked.

 

“They met the first time Brandon was arresting him and Molly and started talking when Brandon had to arrest them again. After that Brandon hung out at the warehouse on his days off. I got the feeling he wasn’t used to people including him.” She told him.

 

“Why the hell was arresting them?” Brian asked.

 

“Because Molly needs materials for her work. She sculpts metal into works of art. Justin gets dragged along because he doesn’t want Molly alone in the places she looks for crap. Which none of us get because she could just buy what she needed, but her artistic brain thinks it’s more important to stop filling our landfills with garbage that could be reused. Plus she likes the drama that comes with assholes arresting her for wanting to save the world from becoming a landfill. Only Justin ends up jumping into it with her because that’s the kind of brother he is.” Daphne told him, thinking Brian could understand being protective of a sibling.

 

“Even if I was interested in Justin, I doubt he would want anything to do with me,” Brian told her.

 

“Not if everyone thinks the only thing you want is to get him in bed to win a bet,” Daphne answered as Ted braved the wrath of Brian to give him the reports he asked for.

 

“I do want him in my bed, so that part was right, but like I keep saying, I didn’t make a bet over it,” Brian told her, wondering why Ted was trying to sneak out. “Theodore get your ass in here, I know you and Emmett told everyone about the bet.”

 

Ted groaned, wishing he could redo last night, but knowing Brian needed to be told the truth, even if he didn’t believe him. “I only repeated what Emmett told me since it was what Michael told him. We didn’t know it wasn’t like all the other times you and Brandon made bets. But after you left the diner, Michael warned Emmett that he’d make it sound like Emmett was the one you should be pissed at.” 

 

“Why would this Michael give a shit if Brian was interested in Justin?” Daphne asked, wondering why Ted looked like she was asking a state secret.

 

“Boss, it’s not like you don’t know why Michael would have a problem with it,” Ted told him.

 

“Oh, that makes so much more sense now. He’s jealous that Brian would want someone other than him.” Daphne said, reading what Ted hadn’t said and Brian didn’t seem to want to acknowledge.

 

“Michael also knows I’m not interested in anything beyond being friends,” Brian told her.

 

“And as long as you only trick he could live with it,” Ted told him.

 

“Was he there when you met Justin?” Daphne asked.

 

“Yes. And he wasn’t happy when I offered to take Justin home, and then he asked Brandon about him.” Brian said, starting to replay the night and realized he didn’t hide his interest in Justin from Michael or Brandon.

 

“So he decided to make sure Justin didn’t want anything to do with you,” Ted told him.

 

“Is this normal for Michael, making sure Brian can’t have a life outside of him?” Daphne asked Ted.

 

“Michael thinks Brian not wanting a relationship is the reason he isn’t marrying Michael,” Ted told her.

 

“You know what, maybe Brian should just stick with Michael because Justin doesn’t need a fatal attraction,” Daphne told Ted.

 

“Michael would just try to whine him in submission.” Ted joked.

 

“I’m right here. And if I want Justin, Michael isn’t going to stop me.” Brian told them.

 

“Just make sure my best friend doesn’t live to regret giving you a chance,” Daphne warned him.

 

“I have to get that chance first,” Brian told her.

 

“You’ve got two weeks to figure out how, because Justin’s going to be out of town. Which also means he’ll have plenty of time to get over you since Brett will try to convince Justin to give him a chance.” Daphne lied, not even feeling bad about it.

 

“Brett?” Brian ask.

 

“Brett Keller. The director. Justin’s working on his movie. Brett wants Justin for more, and normally Justin wouldn’t fall for his shit, but he doesn’t want to be interested in you, and that gives Brett an opening.” She told Brian, before getting up and leaving.

 

“Ted, tell Cynthia to set up a meeting with Brett Keller for me. Also, make sure Emmett tells everyone my new bet.” Brian told him.

 

“Boss, do you really think it’s a good idea?” Ted asked.

 

“It will make sure Michael understands exactly how I feel,” Brian told him.

 

“What’s the bet?” Ted said, thinking Michael deserved this for using Emmett the way he did.

 

“Brian Kinney is planning to settle down,” Brian told him. “I need everything Cynthia can find on Justin Taylor, and you’re in charge of Babylon and Kinnetik for the next two weeks.

 

“Didn’t you just meet Justin?” Ted asked.

 

“Yes. But you need to make Michael think I’m about to give him exactly what Michael’s always wanted. While I go figure out if Justin is more than just a great ass. If Michael wants to play games, then it’s time one is played on him.” Brian told him, dismissing Ted.

 

Michael stood around Woody’s all night, hoping everyone would still be gossiping about the bet, only to find out they were worried about pissing off Brian or Brandon. He didn’t like the way Brian acted as if he was claiming Justin, and knew he needed to do something fast. He avoided Babylon since he didn’t need anyone thinking it was him who started the whole rumor. Instead, he went to all the other clubs, whispering to the other tops that there was a contest to see who could get Justin Taylor first. By the end of the night, there was a frenzy to find out who Justin Taylor was and plans to win over Brian or Brandon. Michael was thrilled that Justin would be busy fighting off all of Liberty Avenue and blame Brian for it all. Michael then headed to Babylon, planning to make sure Brian wouldn’t listen if Emmett told him who really started the whole thing.

 

Emmett felt guilty all night, wanting to apologize for listening to Michael. He planned to tell Brian how the whole thing started. Emmett had never been on the receiving end of Brian’s hate campaign. And even if he deserved some of it for helping Michael, Emmett wasn’t going to let Michael get what he wanted from this. Seeing Michael get more frustrated as Brian didn’t appear all night, Emmett decided to leave until he could talk to Brian without Michael finding a way to interrupt. He was just about to go see if Deb could tell him how to find Justin. He planned to tell him the truth because neither Brian or Brandon deserved what Michael had done.

 

Brandon was ready to kill someone after seeing Justin. He had no idea what he’d done to have Justin slam a door in his face, yelling that he no longer want to see Brandon and he wanted absolutely nothing to do with him or his brother. He’d been lost as to why Justin was angry at him until he ran into a few guys as he walked towards Babylon. They told Brandon all the gossip they’d heard yesterday and today. Justin was now a free for all with all the tops on Liberty Avenue, not just Brian and Brandon. Brandon was pissed that Brian fooled him into believing his interest in Justin was different, instead, doing exactly what Brandon told him not to do. Brandon was hurt that Brian would do this to him and cause a problem with his friendship with Justin since Justin was really the only friend Brandon had. Brandon was on the sidewalk looking ready to murder someone and Emmett decided he could keep Brian from having to clean up Michael’s blood and keep Brandon from a visit to his own precinct.

 

“Brian isn’t here, and Michael is worth it,” Emmett told him, following him into the club.

 

“I don’t care about anything but the fact that Justin thinks I’m involved in this. Brian needs to stop this shit because apparently, all the tops are jumping on Brian’s bet.” Brandon told him.

 

“What?” Emmett asked, wondering what the hell was going on.

 

“Someone, three guesses who, went around to the other clubs changing the bet. The one that I didn’t make with Brian. Now all the tops are planning to try to get to Justin first.” Brandon told him, getting angry again and turning around to go kick his brother’s ass.

 

“You and Brian didn’t make a bet?” Emmett asked, just because he wished they had for his sake.

 

“No. I told Brian last night that if he was really interested in Justin, this kind of shit would lose him any chance that Justin would want anything to do with him.” Brandon told him.

 

“What did Brian say when you told him that?” Emmett asked.

 

“He was still interested, in a way I’ve never seen him be over any guy. ” Brandon told him.

 

“Was Michael there when you told Brian?” Emmett asked.

 

“Yes. He was running his mouth as usual. He was pissed that Brian was paying attention to Justin and not him.” Brandon told him.

 

“Then he came in the club and told me that you and Brian made a bet over Justin. Which I repeated like he wanted me to, and now feel like a total asshole for doing. But you and Brian never cared before… Why couldn't I keep my mouth shut just this once? Because I have no life that's why!” Emmett told him.

 

“Emmet, breathe,” Brandon said, trying not to laugh at Emmett’s display, but giving in because it felt good to laugh after the day he had. “You didn’t do anything that normally wouldn’t have happened if Brian and I had actually bet again. At least I know exactly who did it, and I know why he did it.” 

 

“I just don’t get why Michael thinks this would do anything but piss both of you off. I mean I get he doesn’t like you because Brian wants you around, and Teddy and I like you and don’t like the way he talks about you. What surprises me is that he doesn’t get alienating you isn’t going to make Brian get you out of his life.” Emmett told him.

 

“Michael doesn’t like anyone who takes Brian’s attention away from him. If you’d seen the way Brian looked at Justin last night you’d get why Michael would have done anything to make sure Justin wouldn’t want anything to do with Brian or me. Because I would have found a way to get Justin to give him a chance. My brother needs someone in his life that wants him, not uses him.” Brandon said, ready to strangle Michael.

 

“You really think Brian was that interested from one meeting?” Emmett asked.

 

“Brian couldn’t take his eyes off Justin, and Justin actually flirted, which he doesn’t do. I would have put it off to the fact that Justin was drunk, but even drunk, Justin doesn’t flirt, at all.” Brandon told him, thinking for once Michael should get what was coming to him.

 

“I could try to talk to Justin, and explain that it was really my fault,” Emmett told him.

 

“He slammed the door in my face, so I doubt he’d listen if we went to his house.” Brandon told him.

 

“Emmett. You’re just who I was looking for.” Ted told him.

 

“Why are you looking for Emmett?” Michael said, ignoring Brandon.

 

“I heard about a new bet,” Ted told them.

 

“When Brian hears about the new bet going around, he’ll see the twink isn’t worth bothering with.” Michael cut in.

 

“I doubt anyone will care since the new bet is whether or not it’s true that Brian plans to settle down. I heard Brian telling Cynthia before he left for business to have houses ready for him to look at since he wants to get serious instead of playing around.” Ted told them.

 

“Are you betting against Brian settling down?” Emmett asked.

 

“Brian told me he didn’t see the point in wasting any more time on tricks,” Ted told him, watching as Michael took off excited. Which was exactly what Ted was aiming for since he started this bullshit.