- Text Size +

Brian debated on answering the phone while he sat at the pool at Brett’s, relaxing while Justin and Brett were working. Brett agreed to come and see what Kinnetik could do for him, which meant Brian was free to take a vacation and work on getting to know Justin. Bored, and knowing Lindsay could be tenacious until she got a hold of him, Brian answered.

 

“So I’m helping Michael with his white picket fence dreams and planning the wedding. I’m thinking a superhero-themed wedding, along with taking bets the bride has to be pregnant and that you’ve suddenly lost your mind.” Lindsay said, not even greeting Brian.

 

“Sweetheart, you’re the only one I’d willingly knock up… wait I already did that.” Brian joked.

 

“Well, Sweetheart, the idiot thinks our progeny needs a little ass in his life,” Lindsay tells him.

 

“While I’d be happy to explain the birds and bees to Gus, I doubt at one he’ll care that much about it,” Brian told her.

 

“When Gus is ready, trust me, Mel and I are more than willing to leave it up to you. So I’m actually calling you to do you a favor, just thank me later since Justin listened to me.” Lindsay told him, hanging up.

 

Brian wasn’t sure what she was talking about until Justin came out of Brett’s house and offered to cook them dinner. 

 

“What did Lindsay say?” Brian asked when they got to the kitchen of the guest house Justin was staying in.

 

“She told me not to judge you for your past or anything people said about you,” Justin told him.

 

“Why listen to her?” Brian asked.

 

“I really didn’t, until she asked me if I could really see you hurting Brandon over something as stupid as a fuck-off bet. It didn’t make sense when if you didn’t care about Brandon you wouldn’t have bothered with him when you figured out he was your brother.” Justin told him.

 

“I almost didn’t,” Brian told him.

 

“Why did you?” Justin asked.

 

“Because I could see he didn’t come out any better than I did for having Jack Kinney as his father,” Brian told him.

 

“It had to be more than your shared abuse at the hands of a monster,” Justin commented.

 

Brian thought about what really made him give Brandon a chance in his life, and decided it wasn’t anything Justin couldn’t know if he wanted to try this relationship thing with the blond. 

 

“Brandon wasn’t expecting anything from me. That was different from the rest of my family. Hell, it was different in general for me. My mother claims to love me, but only shows it when I do what she wants me to do. My sister includes me, as long as it comes with a check to help her. Jack Kinney only gave two shits if Brandon or I picked up the bar tab. Brandon, on the other hand, just introduced himself and walked away, without holding his hand out for more than I wanted to give him. Brandon didn’t want to share bruises or compare which of us had it worse in life, which would probably end in a tie for both of us. Brandon didn’t use any of it to try to have a relationship with me. It’s why I wouldn’t have made a bet with him over you, because I wouldn’t use him or hurt him for anyone.” Brian answered.

 

“I know even though I’m acting like an idiot that Brandon is a pretty great guy and has never treated our friendship as if it was meaningless to him,” Justin told him.

 

“Why aren’t you interested in Brandon?” Brian asked.

 

“It’s something that puzzles me as much as you. I wanted to be, but somehow never could get past being friends with him. Something I don’t want with you.” Justin told him, honestly.

 

“What do you want?” Brian asked.

 

“I don’t know since I’m pretty much new to wanting more from anyone,” Justin told him.

 

“Attraction is easy Justin, but if that’s all it is for you, then I’m not gonna waste my time,” Brian told him.

 

“I am attracted to you, but that’s not all of it. Maybe it was that you don’t fit the picture I wanted to believe from what everyone says about you.” Justin told him, cutting up the vegetables for stir-fry.

 

“That I’m an uncaring asshole?” Brian asked.

 

“No. I know you care about people since you seem to go out of your way for Gus.” Justin told him.

 

“You’ve never seen me with Gus, so how did you come to that conclusion?” Brian asked.

 

“Mel and Lindsay both told me that when it comes to Gus, there’s nothing you won’t do to make sure he never doubts how much all of you wanted him. You even offered to give him up, if it would give him what you never had at home.” Justin told him.

 

“I offered because it’s what I promised them, not because I wanted to,” Brian told him.

 

“Yet they didn’t take you up on it, because they can see you love him the way they do. Mel figured out that while you two argue, you trust her, and she returned the favor by not asking you to give up your son.” Justin told her.

 

“How did you end up being friends with them?” Brian asked.

 

“I met them through Brandon at one of my art shows. Then over time we all just became friends.” Justin told him.

 

“How did I never meet you?” Brian asked.

 

“The same way most people never meet. We didn’t have any common interests. I wasn’t into the club scene, and you weren’t into the domestic scene. When Lindsay knew you were coming over I left because I didn’t want to find out you were just a club boy, when it didn’t interest me.” Justin told him.

 

“What did interest you about me, since it’s obvious you asked about me?” Brian asked. 

 

“You never let anything get in your way. You went to college working your ass off, instead of accepting the fate of the life you knew. You walked away from a career to fight for what you believed in and started a company on your own with clients willing to follow you because you showed them you were worth more than the people who kissed their asses when it was more important to sell their products. The biggest reason was that while it’s rumored you don’t do love and relationships, Brandon and Gus tell me you do. And instead of ignoring that Molly and I were digging in your trash, you wanted to help both of us when you thought we were street kids.” Justin told him.

 

“While I pictured how you’d look naked in my bed.” Brian joked.

 

“And I was thinking that I could offer the blow job you missed,” Justin told him.

 

“I’m not opposed to it, but I think for once I want to get to know someone before show and tell,” Brian said, wondering if he lost his mind.

 

“What makes me different than any other guy?” Justin asked.

 

“You didn’t act like my reputation on Liberty Avenue was the sum total of me,” Brian told him.

 

“It’s only part of the whole and not the part that I want to get to know,” Justin told him.

 

“Tell me what you want to know and I’ll help us figure out if I’m capable of what you want,” Brian told him.

 

“I guess I want to know about why Michael wanted me pissed at you and Brandon. I get that he’s never liked Brandon, but why do something that would piss you off?” Justin asked.

 

“He wants me to love him in a way I just don’t,” Brian told him.

 

“Does he know it?” Justin asked.

 

“He wants to believe that the reason I haven’t settled down is that I wasn’t ready to offer him everything you want,” Brian told him.

 

“Why would he think you’d want it with me?” Justin asked.

 

“I kept asking questions about you after you left and pretty much shoved Michael back into the club so I could find out anything Brandon knew about you. It’s not something I really ever did before, and while Michael isn’t always the most astute, it wasn’t that hard to figure out there was something different about you for me.” Brian told him.

 

“Which doesn’t make sense since we didn’t know anything about each other, other than what I knew from Brandon about you,” Justin told him.

 

“You didn’t treat me like all you saw was the Stud,” Brian told him.

 

“Um… trust me, I saw it, it just didn’t mean as much as the fact that you were worried about Molly and me,” Justin answered.

 

“Which meant more to you?” Brian asked, crowding Justin at the counter.

 

“It’s sort of a toss-up right now,” Justin whispered, wanting to close the distance of their lips.

 

“If I told you I’d be willing to give up everything just to kiss you?” Brian asked, a breath away from the lips he wanted to feel.

 

“Then I’d probably do this,” Justin said, closing the distance and knowing he was sealing any escape from Brian breaking his heart.

 

Brian showed everything he wanted in the kiss and then pulled back, knowing he wanted Justin more than he wanted to breathe. It gave him the strength to pull back and rest his head on Justin’s. 

 

“Give me chance to prove I can be what you want,” Brian told him.

 

“I want us to prove we can be who we want us to be,” Justin told him.

 

“Which means what?” Brian asked.

 

“That we define this relationship without feeling like it’s all about only what I want from it. I’m not the expert since I’ve never been in one either. Actually, I’ve never done anything just to put the truth out there for you.” Justin told him.

 

“How did you not at least experiment?” Brian asked, wanting to confirm what Justin was really telling him.

 

“No one made me want to try, and my hand never disappointed me,” Justin told him.

 

“But others did?” Brian asked.

 

“I didn’t give them the chance to try when I had more important things to do. Which means I’m as blind to how to do this as you are.” Justin answered.

 

“So maybe we try dating instead of just moving in together like lesbians?” Brian joked.

 

“It’s a start, but you know, maybe it wouldn’t hurt to find out if winning the bet wouldn’t be a bad thing,” Justin told him, crowding Brian.

 

“Cook dinner and we’ll see if I can manage to keep you clothed,” Brian told him, pretty much thinking he couldn’t.

 

“You’re a tease.” Justin pouted but was happy because Brian could have had anything he wanted from the blond in that minute but proved he wanted more than a night in bed by helping him cook.

 

“Tell me about you and Molly and your many trips to the Pittsburgh PD,” Brian asked wanting to know more about Justin’s life.

 

**************************************************

 

Deb wasn’t an idiot, regardless of what Michael thought. Michael’s newest tale wasn’t going to get Brian and Brandon out of trouble for hurting her new friend. Except that Michael suddenly seemed to ask for advice on dealing with children and said that Deb should make sure Lindsay and Mel acknowledged her place in Gus’s life, instead of treating her and Michael like they weren’t as important as Brandon was to them. She got over the shock that Michael acted like Gus was more than something else that got in his way for all of Brian’s attention. Only to be left speechless when Michael started telling her about the houses he thought would be what Brian would want them to live in. Them as in Michael and Brian, together. One thing Deb knew was that Brian didn’t love Michael in the way that would mean he would settle for Michael. For the first time, Deb waited to start blaming everyone but Michael and started to wonder if her son wasn’t the culprit. Brian being surprised said a lot to Deb, and the way Emmett backed away from Michael lately said even more. So instead of doing what she usually did, she decided to see if she could find out the truth. It was why she was standing at Lindsay’s door instead of trying to chase Brian down. 

 

“How’s my favorite little guy?” Deb asked, as Lindsay didn’t welcome her into the house, but closed the door and stood outside with Deb.

 

“Still napping since Brandon wore him out,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Brandon’s been here?” Deb asked.

 

“He’s here a lot, apparently he’s cementing himself as Gus’s favorite,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Is he still here?” Deb asked.

 

“He and Mel went to pick up dinner. And if you're here in hopes to blame him for something then you can leave,” Lindsay told her.

 

“A couple of days ago I would have, but I have a feeling it would be directed at the wrong person,” Deb told her.

 

“It would have been. Brandon wouldn’t have done something to hurt his friendship with Justin. Other than Mel and I, Justin’s the only other person Brandon feels like he’s wanted around.” Lindsay said, watching Deb wince since she never really invited Brandon to anything. 

 

“I never did anything to make him feel like I wanted him around, I know that,” Deb told her.

 

“Which means you don’t have any right to think you can berate him if that’s what you came over here to do,” Lindsay said, not trusting Deb’s motives.

 

“I came because I want to know the truth. Which seems to be something Michael isn’t capable of giving anyone lately,” Deb told her.

 

“Okay. The truth. The truth is- Brandon loves Brian and wants his brother to have the life he wants. The truth is- Michael saw something the night Brian met Justin and isn’t happy with the fact that Brian is interested in Justin. The truth is- Michael is willing to do anything to make sure Justin doesn’t get what Michael can’t get from Brian. The truth is- the ‘Bet’ was Michael’s idea, and when that didn’t stop Brian, he upped the game with all the tops on the avenue. So Brian decided to teach your son a lesson for once, and for once I hope your son gets what he deserves and finds out what’s it’s like to be hurt from the fucking games he seems to think he has a right to play with everyone’s life.” Lindsay told her.

 

“What did Brian decide to do that would teach Michael a lesson?” Deb asked.

 

“Why do you want to know?” Lindsay asked, suspiciously.

 

“Because I want to know how to help. It’s time my son realizes I’m not going to help him,” Deb told her.

 

“I should believe you for what reason?” Lindsay asked as Brandon and Mel pulled up.

 

“I don’t believe Michael’s tale that Brandon would do this just to hurt Brian. One thing I know is that Brandon only wants the best for Brian, unlike my son.” Deb told her, looking at Brandon as she said it.

 

“When you’re right, you’re right, Deb. I want my brother to find someone who can get past the walls we both built around our hearts. He needs to understand that love doesn’t come with flying fists or feeling obligated to stay with someone you don’t and can’t love.” Brandon told her.

 

“You think Justin could do that for Brian, but not Michael?” Deb asked him.

 

“I don’t know, and neither does Brian unless Justin gives him the chance. Which Michael is doing his best to make sure never happens.” Brandon told her.

 

“Then Michael is about to lose since Justin knows exactly what he did,” Lindsay told Brandon.

 

“It doesn’t mean I want to let Michael get away with it,” Brandon told Lindsay, looking at Deb.

 

“I assume this is why no one is acting like Michael’s sudden interest in houses and children alarms any of you?” Deb asked.

 

“Why would it, when Brian isn’t here but with Justin, who has a better chance of getting what Michael won’t from Brian. Granted, I’m really just wanting to see how Michael handles pulling the tail off the donkey.” Lindsay answered, smirking.

 

“Really, I wanted to play pin the tail.” Mel joked.

 

“I know, but bloodshed would have ended hours of fun the kids will have chasing an ass around the room,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Have you guys learned nothing from having Brian and Brandon around you? Paintball is all I’m going to say since it’s obvious you guys haven’t realized chasing Michael hasn’t ever been that interesting to anyone. But shooting at him would likely get a lot more people willing to help out the GLC.” Deb told them.

 

“I kind of love you right now,” Brandon told her.

 

“I’m hoping eventually I’ll prove to you that you actually do love me, and for me to show you I can love you, the way I love your brother for being the great son he’s always been to me,” Deb told him.

 

Michael spent the next two days wondering why everyone kept pretending to cock a gun at him and laughing after talking to his mother.