- Text Size +

It's All Down Hill From Here

Chapter 4







“Justin!” Brian called again.

“Brian, what’s wrong?” Justin called back as he emerged through the break in the hedge.

“Help.”

“Oh my God! What happened?” Justin gasped. He could see that Brian was moving slowly, limping badly. Justin ran to Brian’s side. He put his arm around Brian’s back and let the taller man lean on him. Together they hobbled into the yard. “What happened?” Justin asked again as he eased Brian into the chaise where he had been sitting before Brian called to him.

“Currents,” Brian said before he groaned.

“I’m getting Angelica,” Justin said. He ran to the kitchen when Brian didn’t even put up a protest.

In less than a minute Angelica appeared with Justin close behind her carrying a first aid kit.

“You go too far down the beach, didn’t you?” Angelica said knowingly as she got her girth lowered onto her knees to get a better look at Brian’s injuries. “Are you hurt anywhere else other then your legs?’

“I don’t think so, but I’m sore all over.”

“Those waves can really bounce you around.” Angelica carefully lifted and looked at each of Brian’s legs. “I think you’re mostly scraped and bruised. There’s a couple of spots that are bleeding a bit, so we’ll put bandaids on them.”

Brian nodded. “My hands,” he said as an afterthought. He held out one hand palm up for Angelica to look at it.

“You took a couple layers of skin off that too, but it’s not bleeding.”

“Hurts,” Brian said.

“Justin, would you get some ice packs from the freezer. I think that will make Brian’s hands feel better.”

Justin hurried into the house while Angelica cracked open the first aid kit. She applied some disinfectant to the open wounds and wiped off everything else that seemed to have been scraped. She applied three bandaids to the worst spots.

“Here’s the gel packs,” Justin said as he returned.

Brian took one and wrapped the towel around it that Justin handed him. He held it between the palms of his hands. The cold felt really good on his bruised and scraped hands which had felt like they were on fire.

“I didn’t think sand could hurt so much,” Brian said after a minute.

“It’s volcanic sand, little pieces of rock, so it can do a number on your skin,” Angelica told them.

“You got that right,” Brian agreed.

“Put an ice pack on the most painful place on each leg. I think you’re going to be fine, just a little sore for a couple days.” Angelica hoisted herself back onto her feet. “I’m going to bring you some lemonade and a snack. Just stay put and rest,” she ordered.

“Yes, Ma’am,” Brian agreed. He didn’t have the energy to complain.

Angelica went into the kitchen while Justin hauled another chaise over beside Brian’s. He made sure they were both in the shade then sat down beside his husband.

“We look like we’ve been through a war,” Brian said after a couple of minutes.

Justin chuckled. “We should have bought travel insurance the way this trip is going.”

“Wasn’t this supposed to be fun?” Brian asked with a frown.

“I’ve had some fun,” Justin replied with a waggle of his eyebrows.

“We could have had that fun in our bed at home,” Brian griped.

“We met Paul and Martin and had fun at Squeeze,” Justin reminded him. “God, I love the name of that club.

“Maybe we should rename Babylon.”

“Naw, I think Squeeze belongs here with orange juice and fresh fruit.”

“Lots of fruits,” Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.

Justin laughed. He was glad that Brian seemed to be recovering his sense of humor. “Let’s take it really easy for a couple of days, Brian. When we’re back to normal, maybe we can do some sightseeing.”

“When are we ever normal?”

Justin laughed. “Not often. But we really should be careful for a couple of days.”

“I thought that’s what we were doing today, and look at me.” Brian indicated all his scrapes.

“Well, you could have swum in the pool. There are no currents in it.”

“Wanna bet?”

Justin chuckled. “Your injuries have made you grumpy.”

“Can’t help it.”

“Here’s some lemonade,” Angelica said as she carried a tray with the drinks and some cheese and crackers out to the table by the pool.

“Thanks, Angelica,” Brian said. “And thanks for patching me up.”

“Not a problem.”

“Do you have any brochures about interesting things to do here in Hawaii?” Justin asked her. “Things that aren’t dangerous, that is.”

Angelica laughed. “We keep a supply of suggested activities in a folder in the front hall. I’ll bring it out to you.” She went back in the house.

Justin handed Brian a glass of the lemonade, which Brian quickly downed. He hadn’t realized how thirsty he was. Justin refilled Brian’s glass from the pitcher that was on the tray.

Brian drank some more lemonade. Then he licked his lips. “That really hit the spot.”

“So I see,” Justin smiled.

“Do you think it’s safe for us to go somewhere else on the island?” Brian asked as he leaned his head against the back of the chaise.

“So far all our problems have been here. We were fine at the club.”

“True,” Brian said as he finished his second glass of lemonade. “I think I’ll just close my eyes for a couple of minutes.”

Justin watched as Brian’s eyelids slowly drooped and his breathing steadied out almost immediately. Justin got up and took the glass from Brian’s hands. He made sure Brian’s palms were covered with the ice packs and he lined up the packs on Brian’s legs. With that done, he picked up his sketchbook and sat back down. He turned in the chaise so he could look at his favorite model. Even battered and bruised, Brian Kinney was still beautiful. His hand moved effortlessly across the page.



*****



It was the part of the day that John liked the most. The family had eaten, homework was done and checked and the cottage was quiet. Each member of the family was enjoying their own quiet pursuits. John was in his attic office putting the finishing touches on his thesis. He had an appointment with his adviser in a couple of days and depending on what was decided, John would be defending his thesis soon after. The sound of heavy little princess footsteps coming up the staircase caught John’s attention.

“Hi, princess,” John said softly as Bree rounded the top of the spiral staircase, shuffled into the office then climbed up to settle herself onto her uncle’s lap. Large soulful violet blue eyes looked up into familiar hazel eyes.

“What’s wrong, sweetheart?” John asked as he heard the quiet sigh.

“I miss my daddies,” Bree answered then buried her face into John’s chest to cry. John hugged her close and waited until Bree was all cried out.

“We talked about this, didn’t we?” John said. He felt Bree nod. “Let’s pretend that your daddies are away at camp. You went away last year for two weeks, learned a lot and had fun. Your dads are doing the same thing.”

Bree looked up again into her uncle’s eyes. They reminded Bree of her Dada’s eyes. A funny kind of green that sometimes looked like a bright golden green and at other times looked brown. Bree loved her Uncle Bobby a lot but there was something comforting about her Uncle John.

“They love you, princess, and they’ll be home before you know it,” John reassured his niece as he wrapped his arms around the tiny body. “Are you ready for your bath?” Bree nodded. “How about you and Patrick have a little camp out tonight?”

Bree’s eyes grew wide. “What kind of camp out?”

“Why don’t you and Patrick sleep on the brass bed in the porch? It’s going to be a clear night; you’ll be able to see a lot of stars.” Bree gave her uncle a little smile. “And I bet Beau would love to sleep with you too.”

Bree’s smile became wider.

“You go down and get ready for your bath. I’m going to put away my papers and then I’ll be right down to help you.”

“Okay, Unca John,” Bree said, feeling so much better.

“I love you, sweetheart,” John said as he gave her another hug and a kiss.

“I love you too,” Bree said, kissing his cheek.

Bree climbed down from John’s lap then went down the stairs. John quickly put away his thesis then followed Bree down.



*****



Patrick gazed up at the twinkling stars as Bree snuggled closer into his side. While he and Bree took their baths and got ready for bed, his dads pulled back the screen and made up the big brass bed in the sun porch. When the kids got settled, John beckoned for Beau. The big dog hopped up onto the bed and made himself comfortable at the foot. The kids rarely slept out there so John knew they’d feel safer with Beau keeping guard. Beau, a very wise dog, kept vigil. Patrick could hear Bree’s mournful sigh as she cuddled even closer.

“It’s okay,” Patrick whispered. “They’ll be home soon,” he reassured the little girl. He felt her head nod. “Look at the stars. I bet your daddies can see the same stars. We’re all connected.”

“We are?”

“Yup. We are. Pick one and make a wish, your dads will know you’re thinking of them.”

“They will?”

“Yeah, they will.”

“Okay.”

Bree picked the brightest star she could see then closed her eyes to make a wish, yawning as she did. Patrick heard her breathing even out. He slightly turned to see her. Bree had fallen asleep.

Patrick smiled then looked down at Beau. The big dog looked back with his big brown eyes. “She’s okay, Beau.” Beau seemed to understand as he laid his head down. Patrick settled back then joined Bree in sleep.



*****



“How are you feeling?” Justin asked Brian.

They had decided to stay at the estate the next day to recuperate. Brian was still hobbling and feeling very sore. The back of Justin’s neck was still painful to the touch as were his calves. He did get some relief with the aloe so he applied more every few hours.

“Not bad,” Brian replied trying to maintain his tough exterior. Justin knew better.

“Want to take something?” Justin offered. Brian shook his head. “Want to eat something?” Angelica was busy in the kitchen making dinner.

“Not really.” Brian was sulking. Their honeymoon was off to a great start...not. Barely three days into the trip of a lifetime and they were both battered and feeling broken.

“It could be worse,” Justin remarked. Brian glared at him. “I could be in the hospital with sun poisoning and you could have drowned.” Justin glared back. Brian sighed; it indeed, could have been a hell of a lot worse. “I promise to keep covered up if you promise to do your swimming in the pool. And we both do nothing any more adventurous other than walking or taking a bus tour,” Justin added. Brian nodded.

“Feel like eating now?” Justin asked as wonderful mouth-watering aromas wafted from the kitchen.

“Yeah,” Brian murmured as he held his hand out to his mate. Justin stepped closer, taking the proffered hand gently into his own. The boys went to the kitchen.



*****



“That was great, Angelica!” Justin exclaimed as he pushed back from the table, rubbing his sated belly. Brian smirked as he reached over to pat the belly that was bloated from the good meal.

“Watch it, Sunshine, the airline charges more for heavy baggage,” Brian teased. Justin narrowed his eyes but said nothing. Brian must be feeling better if he could now throw out a few snide remarks.

“I’ll work it off,” Justin assured him.

“Speaking of which, do you think it’s safe if we stroll around the grounds. It’s better than just sitting and feeling sorry for ourselves,” Brian admitted.

“Stick to the paths, there are edge lamps along the way,” Angelica advised. “Even the formal garden has a lit path. If you stay on the path, you’ll be fine.”

“I have no intention of taking any chances,” Brian assured the woman. “Walk with me, Sunshine?” Brian stood, extending his hand. Justin responded with a loving smile as he stood. They walked through the lanai doors and onto the path.



*****




“It’s so beautiful out here,” Justin said as they stood near the waterfall at the back of the pool. The path ran alongside of it and into the garden.



“Yes, it is, if you overlook the killer riptide and burning sun,” Brian snarked.

“But the evening is cooler and we’re safe on dry land.”

“Yeah, it is,” Brian said as he drew the younger man into his arms for a kiss. “Much safer,” he murmured against Justin’s lips.

“Mmm, tastier too,” Justin replied as he licked Brian’s lips.

“Let’s walk off that fine meal,” Brian said after a few minutes of making out, patting Justin’s butt. Justin giggled as he slid himself under Brian’s arm while they strolled the path.

“This is amazing! Why didn’t I come out here before? I’d love to paint this,” Justin said as he bent to sniff a tropical flower.

“Hey, no can do, Sonny Boy.” Brian pulled him back before Justin’s nose got closer to the large bloom.

“Why?” Justin asked slightly miffed.

“First of all we have no clue if you’re allergic to that thing and second, what if there’s a big bad bug just waiting for your cute nose to poke into his home. No. You come out here in the daylight with Angelica and let her explain to you all about the flowers and plants before you stick your nose in.”

“Oh, okay,” Justin acquiesced, seeing the logic in Brian’s words. “Can we at least walk through the garden tonight?”

“As long as we stick to the path. I’m not taking any chances,” Brian repeated as he pulled Justin in closer, tucking him under his shoulder.

“Yes, master,” Justin teased but allowed the he-man act. He didn’t want to take any chances either.

When they came to the center of the garden, the boys stopped to look up at the stars. The dim path lights did nothing to diminish the brilliance of the stars. Justin heard Brian sigh.

“She’s fine, you know,” Justin said guessing at what Brian was thinking.

“I know.”

“Bet she’s having the time of her life with ‘her’ Patrick.”

“You think?”

“I’m sure she is.”

“It is peaceful out here,” Brian said by way of a non sequitur.

“Make a wish,” Justin said.

“Hmm?” Brian wasn’t sure he heard right.

“I said make a wish.”

“And why would I do that?”

“Because I said so.”

Brian shrugged then did as commanded. He closed his eyes and let go the strain and stress of the past couple of days. He thought about his family, the children, and Bree’s cute little face looking up at him with her large violet blue eyes. He saw Gus standing proud and handsome. And Patrick, an amazing combination of John and Bobby. Then he let his mind wander to the rest of the kids in their crazy wittle family.

Even in the dim light, Justin could see the transformation taking place on Brian’s face. Justin stood back, memorizing every nuance. He’d sketch that look as soon as possible.

“Better?” Justin asked already knowing the answer.

“Yeah.”

“Come on. Let’s go back.”

“Had enough of nature?” Brian snarked.

“For now. I have other things in mind.”

“Unnatural things?”

“Maybe for some, but not for me,” Justin said making Brian laugh. Justin grabbed Brian’s hand to lead his man to bed where they could do their ‘unnatural’ things together.



*****


 




“So you think this will be a safe choice for us?” Brian asked as they sat out on the lanai the next morning eating their breakfast, brunch actually. The boys had a relatively good night of gently making love, avoiding the worst of the painful spots on their bodies then sleeping late into the morning. Angelica was currently plying them with a healthy breakfast.

“I think so. What kind of trouble can we get into in an art museum?”

“I have no idea but considering our luck, plenty. But this seems like a safe choice.”

The boys had the folder on the table with all the activities and tourist attractions within a 50 mile radius of the estate. Henry had the limo polished, gassed up and awaiting a destination.

“What do you think?” Justin asked Angelica.

“I think the art museum is an excellent choice. It’s a peaceful place and they encourage artists to take along their sketch pads,” Angelica remarked knowingly.

“Bri?”

“To the art museum, we go!” Brian declared putting his seal of approval on the excursion plans. “And I’m sure it’s climate controlled,” he smirked. Justin was planning to wear a lightweight but long sleeved linen outfit for protection. Brian was planning to apply sunblock on him just in case.

“Yee Haw!” Justin exclaimed as they finished their brunch then got ready for the day.



*****



"Bobby Morrison," Bobby said as he answered his phone.

"Hiya, honey!" Emmett said as soon as he heard Bobby's voice.

"Hey, Emm. What can I do for you?"

"Do you know when the boys are getting back?"

"Just before the Memorial Day weekend. Why?"

"Do you think they'll be up for our annual barbecue?"

"I'm not sure but I don't see why not. We can have it all planned. This way all they have to do is sit back and enjoy the family."

"That's what I was thinking. We can all bring something so the big guy doesn't have to cook."

"He likes to grill but this sounds good to me," Bobby said.

"Then leave it all to me!" Emmett announced.

"Okay. But let me clear it with John first. We hadn't gotten around to discussing it yet."

"Will do. Keep me posted. Bye, honey!"

"Bye, Emm."