- Text Size +

It's All Down Hill From Here

Chapter 5







Brian and Justin slowly strolled through the main gallery of one of the larger museums on their island. It was devoted to the unique fauna and flora of the Hawaiian Islands. Justin was enthralled by the vibrant colors of the modern art. Throughout the gallery, artists young and old had out their sketch pads, charcoals and pastels, hoping to capture what they saw. Off to one side of the great gallery there was a long atrium that terminated at a huge greenhouse. The greenhouse was home to several specimens of tropical hibiscus as well as orchids. Brian found it peaceful so he sat on a bench inhaling the peaty and floral scent.

“Hey, you okay?” Justin asked when he found his missing spouse still seated on his bench hidden amongst large palm leaves.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You’ve been in here for over an hour.”

“Really?” Brian said with surprise. “I didn’t realize. Are you ready to go?”

“Not yet, unless you want to.”

Brian shook his head. “I like it here,” he said cocking his toward the plants. “You find something to draw?” he added with a smirk.

Justin had his sketch pad in his hand and a pencil stuck behind one ear. Justin smiled. “Lots. You getting some ideas for our garden?” he asked knowing how Brian’s mind worked.

“Maybe. But these are all tropical flowers. They’d be fine in the summer but then die at the first sign of frost.”

“Not if they had a greenhouse to live out the winter.”

“I hate to break it to you, Sunshine, but we don’t have a greenhouse.”

“Ah, but we could have. You’re always complaining that you’re bored during the winter. Even Bree mopes around because she can’t do gar-gar. We can solve both problems if we had a greenhouse. Of course it doesn’t have to be this big,” Justin said as he looked around. The museum greenhouse was several stories tall. “But it could be large enough to house some tropical hibiscus trees and maybe some fruit trees.” Justin smiled at his mate.

“Hmm, you may have an idea. We can install some benches to make it a sanctuary. I can plant the trees in large pots. Put the pots on wheels to move the trees into our garden during the summer then wheel them back in the fall. Maybe a small fountain and pond in one corner.” Brian allowed his mind to consider the possibilities. “I like the sound of our stream.”

“You can have that sound all year long,” Justin remarked. "You could hold classes for the garden center."

"I'm not a teacher."

"Sure you are. You taught Bree all about gardening and you taught Todd a thing or two. You'd make a great teacher. Here,” Justin said as he dug into his ever present messenger bag to hand a small pad and a pencil to Brian.

“What am I supposed to do with these? I’m no artist.” Brian stared at the pad in his hand.

“No, but you are the best adman ever and gardener extraordinaire. Design your greenhouse, Bri. John will build it, you know he will.”

Brian nodded as his hand lightly caressed the pad. “You don’t mind if I stay in here, get some ideas? This is supposed to be our honeymoon.”

“I don’t mind. You’ve spent many hours watching me sketch, draw and paint. I think I can wait while you design your greenhouse. Besides, every day with you is a honeymoon.” Justin smiled one of his sunniest for Brian.

“Come here,” Brian whispered. Justin walked in closer then leaned down. “I love you, Sunshine,” Brian said as he gave Justin a kiss. “And I could watch you paint and draw for the rest of my life,” Brian murmured against Justin’s lips.

Justin returned the kisses then stood up to walk back into the main gallery. He turned his head to throw Brian his brightest sunshine smile. Brian couldn’t help but return the smile.

“Later,” Justin said.

“Later.”



*****



“Did you boys have a good time?” Henry asked as he opened the limo door for Brian and Justin. They had spent most of the afternoon in the museum. Justin had the inspiration for many paintings in his pad. Brian had the plans for his greenhouse.

“It was so amazing!” Justin exclaimed with enthusiasm. Brian rolled his eyes.

“It was all right,” Brian stated. Justin rolled his eyes.

“Well, sit back and relax. I’ll have you back to the estate in no time,” Henry proclaimed as he buckled up then started the car.

They were almost home, discussing what they had seen in the gallery and talking about the greenhouse when the world shifted beneath them. Henry swerved, losing control of the car. When the world finally stopped moving, they were in a hole on the side of the road.

“Justin!” Brian shouted, his voice husky with fright and concern. Justin had landed on the floor just opposite of him. Carefully, he pulled Justin up and onto the seat next to him. “Everyone okay?” Brian asked as his hands roamed Justin’s body searching for breaks and bruises.

“I’m okay,” Justin assured Brian. Shaking from shock, Justin leaned into Brian’s chest. Brian automatically enveloped the smaller man with his arms.

“Henry?”

“I’m all right but I don’t think the car is going anywhere,” Henry grumbled as climbed his way out of the car. He had his cell phone in his hand calling for a tow. “Good news is we have plenty of water. Bad news is we may be here for a while. Lots of people run off the road.”

Brian managed to get the door of the lopsided car open. He climbed out to get a good look at their situation. There were many cars stalled out along the road. No one looked like they were seriously hurt but they could hear the sounds of sirens coming from many directions.

“Do you have any idea what happened?” Justin asked Henry. Brian was staring at the road which was buckled in a few spots.

“Pele is unhappy,” was all that Henry would say.



*****



“When is that fucking tow truck going to get here?” Brian griped before he took a sip of water from the bottle that Henry had given him. He saw Henry across the road talking to some other drivers who had driven off the road when the ground shifted. Brian and Justin were seated on the trunk of the car while they waited for help.

“I’m sure they’re overwhelmed with all the calls,” Justin said reasonably.

“Henry called immediately,” Brian reminded his husband. “We should be first on the list.”

“They may be having trouble getting here.”

“Rescuing all the people along the way here, undoubtedly,” Brian snarked.

“Those people need help as much as we do.”

“This has been some honeymoon,” Brian said shaking his head. “We may be sitting here on the side of the road for the rest of it.”

Justin leaned his head on Brian’s shoulder. “It’ll be all right as long as we’re together.”

“Yeah,” Brian said kissing the top of the blond head.

“Um, excuse me, but would you like a cookie?” a voice said from behind them. Both Brian and Justin turned to see who was speaking to them.

“Sure,” Justin said as he got a whiff of the still warm cookies in the basket the woman was holding. “Thanks.” He took a cookie from the basket that the woman held out to him.

“I was making these when we had that little tremor,” the woman said. She offered the contents of the basket to Brian.

“Little tremor?” Brian said skeptically.

“We can deal with much worse. I’m Leilani,” the woman said with a gentle smile.

“Nice to meet you, Leilani,” Justin said with a big smile. “I’m Justin. These cookies are excellent,” he added finishing off the one he had taken from the basket.

“Have another,” Leilani replied holding out the basket of cookies to Justin.

“Thanks,” Justin said quickly taking another cookie.

“You should go feed some other poor stranded buggers,” Brian chimed in. “Justin will eat that whole basket if you let him.”

Justin swatted Brian. “This uncouth mass of bodily fluids is Brian, my husband.” Brian glared at his mate.

Leilani smiled. “Nice to meet you both.”

“Thanks for the cookie,” Brian said deciding to be gracious as he took a bite of his cookie. “You’re the best thing that’s happened to us on our honeymoon.”

“It’s called Hawaiian hospitality,” Leilani informed him. “You’re on your honeymoon?”

“Yes,” Justin said with a big smile. “We’ve been married for ten years and together for twenty, but we finally decided to take a second honeymoon.”

“You don’t have to bore Leilani with our life story,” Brian said giving Justin the eye.

“I’m not bored,” Leilani responded. “It’s always nice to meet new friends.”

“Does your husband know you’re out chatting up the boys?” Brian asked snidely.

“Brian!” Justin said shocked at his husband’s comment.

Leilani frowned. “My husband knows exactly where I am. That’s him over there trying to get that car started. We both like to help when we can.”

“Oh,” Brian said watching the group of men which included Henry give the car a push as it roared into life. The driver waved as he drove away. “Great!” Brian griped. “Our driver is helping everyone else.”

“Brian, stop it!” Justin ordered. “We should help too. Come on.” Justin grabbed Brian’s hand and pulled him up from his perch on the strangely angled car. He dragged Brian over to the group of men who were trying to push a car out of a hole that one wheel had dropped into. As soon as the extra manpower in the form of Brian and Justin aided in the pushing, the car quickly sped away.

“Great!” Brian repeated. “Now we have one less person to help push our car out.”

“We’re next,” Henry said walking towards the Mercedes.

“At last,” Brian said as he and Justin joined the others at the rear of the Mercedes. Henry opened the driver’s door so he could steer. With great effort the small group managed to push the car back onto the road.

“We can go,” Henry said looking at his charges. It was their decision.

“Let’s help the last couple of vehicles first,” Brian said. He knew what it felt like to be left stranded, and nobody should have to suffer that.

Before long all the cars in the small group were back on the road. Brian and Justin said goodbye to Leilani and her husband. They got another cookie as their reward. The friendly Hawaiians waved to them as they finally drove away.

“Home, James, it’s been a long day,” Brian said to Henry.

They could see Henry’s broad smile in the rearview mirror.



*****



“So you don’t get many earthquakes here?” Brian asked Angelica. They had been discussing the day’s adventure with her as she prepared dinner.

“No, usually it’s eruptions – mostly Kilauea. It’s the most active volcano.”

“What would the earth shaking like we had today mean?” Justin asked with a frown.

“It could be a precursor to another eruption,” Angelica explained.

“I thought maybe we could take a flight over to the Big Island and see the newly formed lava,” Brian replied.

“You better do it soon,” Angelica informed him. “If there’s an eruption, you won’t be able to get anywhere near Kilauea.”

“Should we go tomorrow?” Justin asked.

“You could.”

“I should go on line and check flights,” Brian said standing up from the table where he had been drinking some lemonade.

“There are flights to the Big Island several times a day,” Angelica said. “You shouldn’t have any trouble getting a flight. But you may want to book a tour to the volcano.”

“I’ll see what I can find,” Brian replied as he left the kitchen to go to his computer.

Justin sat at the kitchen table finishing his lemonade and thinking.

“Henry tells me that you helped push several cars out of trouble this afternoon,” Angelica said after a couple of minutes.

“Yeah, everybody banded together and got the job done,” Justin said proudly. “We met a lady named Leilani who brought us some cookies to help us keep up our strength, and her husband helped push the cars.”

Angelica nodded and smiled knowingly. Henry had told her all about it. She was not surprised that Justin had helped with the cars, but that Brian Kinney had as well was a surprise. “Um, I wouldn’t think that Mr. Brian would be one to push cars.”

Justin chuckled. “Most people would think the same. That’s because they can’t see past all the bluster that Brian throws out. He really has a heart of gold when you get to know him.”

“I’m beginning to realize that, but he keeps it pretty well hidden.”

“Yes he does. It would be wise not to let him know that you see what he’s like on the inside.”

Angelica nodded in understanding. Some men were like that. They needed their cool, detached image to represent how they wanted the world to see them. It was rare to get a glimpse below the surface as Henry had today. With some of the wealthy guests who rented the estate, there was nothing under the façade, just more of the same. Angelica was glad these men had more to them than the surface wealth.

“I better go see how Brian’s doing,” Justin said as he placed his glass beside the sink.



*****



The next day Brian and Justin landed on the Big Island where they were met by Alice, a young lady who worked for the tour company that Brian had contacted on the internet. The company provided individualized tours for those who could afford it. After introductions, Alice led her charges to the Mercedes limo that awaited them outside the airport terminal. Justin half expected to see Henry get out of the car to greet them. It seemed like a black Mercedes was the standard limo in the islands.

Instead of Henry a young Hawaiian who said his name was Kemo hopped out. Kemo opened the door of the car for them after he introduced himself. Brian and Justin got in the back while Alice got in the front with Kemo.

They drove for quite awhile. Alice pointed out some roads that had been overrun with lava and abandoned. She explained that the Big Island was still growing. Every once in a while there would be an eruption, and a few more feet would be added to the perimeter of the island. Finally Kemo pulled the car into a lot where some buses and other cars were parked. They all got out.

“The lava fields are over that way,” Alice explained pointing. “I can accompany you, or you could explore by yourselves. You’ll see hot areas with red lava showing through fissures in the ground. This is one of the main areas where the Big Island is still growing.”

“I’d like to look around by ourselves,” Justin said. Brian nodded.

“I’ll be happy to answer any of your questions when you return,” Alice said. She informed them that she and Kemo would be waiting for them in the same spot when they returned.

“Great,” Justin said as they started walking towards the lava fields. Ahead they could see red areas amidst the rock. “Wow! Look at that,” Justin gasped. “It’s like the world is being reborn in fire and stone.”

“How poetic, Sunshine,” Brian replied with a smile. “I wonder if it will melt the bottom of our shoes.”

“I don’t think you’re supposed to step on the red patches.”

They bent over to look at the red lava which showed through cracks in the rock. Fascinated by what they were seeing they wandered farther and farther into the lava fields, looking for larger and more dramatic spots of molten lava.


                

“I could so paint this,” Justin said as they found a particularly large red area. The heat from the fissure could be felt from several feet away.

“My feet are getting warm,” Brian said. He looked around and noted that they were all by themselves. The nearest person to them was little more than a speck in the direction from which they had come. “Um, maybe we better turn back,” Brian said.

“Look at that over there,” Justin enthused, pointing to another area of fresh lava. “Come on.”

Brian could do little but follow his impetuous mate. They wandered a little further squatting down to look at the glowing patches of lava.

“Mr. Kinney, Mr. Taylor, thank God I found you,” Alice said as she arrived breathless at their side.

“Found us?” Brian asked. “Were we lost?”

“Didn’t you see the signs saying this area is out of bounds? It’s a wonder your shoes aren’t on fire,” Alice replied. “We should get out of here.”

“Sorry,” Justin said. “It’s my fault. I kept dragging Brian farther and farther. I just find this all so fascinating … and beautiful.”

“I’m glad you enjoyed it, but we really need to go back,” Alice repeated.

“Okay,” Justin said looking wistfully at the lava fields ahead.

“Come on,” Brian ordered. “I seriously think my shoes are melting.”

They quickly made their way back to the car. Kemo looked relieved when they arrived.

As Brian and Justin settled into the back seat of the limo, Brian lifted his sandal clad foot to look at the sole. Any tread that had been there had disappeared. His shoes had literally melted.

“It’s a wonder I didn’t go up in flames,” Brian said as he showed Justin his shoe.

Justin looked at his runners which were in much the same condition. “I think we need to go shoe shopping,” he suggested.

“Ooh, shopping,” Brian said with a grin.

“I know how much that appeals to you,” Justin chuckled.

“I wonder if Hell is like those lava fields,” Brian speculated as Kemo drove the limo out of the parking area. “It’s supposed to be hot like that.”

“You’ll never know, because if there’s an afterlife, we’ll be in Heaven together,” Justin declared.

“I’m in Heaven everyday … as long as I’m with you,” Brian declared.

Justin smiled one of his radiant smiles and his hand squeezed Brian’s just a little harder.



*****



Alice took them to one of the main growers of orchids on the island. They wandered through the growing areas looking at the thousands of varieties of orchids. Brian snapped pictures of the ones Justin particularly liked. They would be added to his photos of the lava fields, all pictures that Justin wanted to use for inspiration for his paintings.








From the signs they learned that most of the orchids were for export, but many went to make the leis that visitors received when they got off the plane in Hawaii.

After a half hour Justin’s allergies started to kick in. He was stuffed up and finding it hard to breathe. Brian looked at his watch and decided they should probably head for the airport and their flight back to Oahu.

“Did you have a good day?” Brian asked as the limo neared the airport. Dusk was just descending over the islands.

“It was a great day. I’m going to paint some of the colors of those lava fields when I get home. I bet I could do some great orchid paintings too,” Justin replied happily.

“I bet you could, Sunshine.”

They said their goodbyes to Alice and Kemo, giving them each a generous tip for their day’s work. Soon they were back on Oahu where Henry met them at the airport.

“Glad to have you both back safe and sound,” Henry said as he opened the limo door for them.

“Yeah, safe and sound, with no injuries,” Brian snarked, “except for the soles of my shoes.”

Henry chuckled. “I hear that a lot from people who visit the Big Island. Those lava fields suck you in and then eat your shoes.” Henry began driving towards the estate. “You were lucky you went to the Big Island today,” he informed them. “The scientists say that Kilauea is showing renewed activity. There could be an eruption anytime. I told you Pele was not happy.”

“Timing is everything,” Brian said as he settled back into his seat. It was good to be heading back to their temporary home, and tomorrow they would go shoe shopping.