- Text Size +

 

It's All Down Hill From Here

Epilogue






Brian and Justin were all packed and ready to go home. They were giving the master bedroom one last inspection before going out into the main portion of the house. Justin had become more than a little anxious about the long flight back. Even in first class, a full plane would be noisy and crowded. Justin was not looking forward to being bumped and jostled.

“Don’t worry, Sunshine, I have it under control,” Brian reassured Justin, almost reading his mind.

“What did you do?”

“I know you think I’m a snob about certain things but the thought of spending eight hours in a crowded plane was making my dick soft. I exchanged our tickets for a private charter.”

“Brian!” Justin was astounded. “A private plane? That has got to be...”

“Not as expensive as you think and not a private plane. It’s a small charter for businessmen. I think we qualify. We’ll have more room and less risk of someone bumping into your arm.”

“Or your leg; I get it. But a private plane,” Justin said in exasperation but more than a little grateful at Brian’s ingenuity.

“We can afford it.”

“That’s not the point.”

“The point is - do you want to take the chance of someone bumping into your arm as they walk past you in the aisle? Justin, indulge me, please. I want to get us home, in one piece,” Brian said as he tucked the crutches under his arms then held his arms open for Justin.

“More or less,” Justin murmured as he walked into Brian’s arms, mindful of his own arm and Brian’s bad foot.



*****



“I could have cooked,” Angelica stated as she smoothed down the front of her skirt then reluctantly picked up her menu.

“Angelica, the point of us taking you and Henry out for lunch is that you don’t cook,” Brian stated using his ‘don’t mess with me’ tone of voice.

The boys wanted to do something nice for Henry and Angelica since they had not only put up with them for two weeks, they also took care of them throughout each disaster. The boys decided to take them and their two new friends out for a nice meal in the very best restaurant that they could find - that was relatively close to the airport. Brian did not want to rush through their meal or rush to the airport. The group included Paul and Martin, not only because Brian and Justin had grown fond of them, but also due to cool levelheadedness during the aftermath of all the accidents.

“But...”

“Angelica, Brian and I really appreciate all your help, and Henry’s. You’ve been more than just a housekeeper and driver to us,” Justin said trying to be reasonable.

“Well, if you put it that way,” Angelica conceded. The only reason they let Henry drive was he knew the best routes and it was just easier that way.

They ordered then settled back to enjoy their remaining time together.

“Do you think you’ll ever come back again? Hawaii really is a beautiful place,” Paul ventured as they were eating their salads. “It’s the reason why I moved here.”

“I know your children would love it,” Angelica added and the men nodded.

Brian cringed at the thought. Justin patted his hand. “I’m sure Bree would love the garden. Gus would like it too.”

“Especially if we took his boyfriend with us,” Brian snorted.

“Boyfriend? I thought your children were young,” Martin said. On cue, the boys took out their wallets brimming with pictures of all the children in the family.

“She’s beautiful!” Angelica exclaimed. “She looks just like you,” she said to Justin. Brian beamed as he nodded.

“Yeah, but her outlook on life is all Brian!” Justin chuckled as Brian gave him a scowl.

“Is that a polite way of saying that she has Brian’s attitude?” Martin asked. The table snickered.

“That would be a resounding, yes,” Justin emphatically stated then gave his spouse a little peck on the cheek to take away the sting. Brian cocked his head as his mouth formed a crooked little smile. He couldn’t deny that Bree had a lot of his personality but with all of Justin’s sweetness.

“And this handsome young man is your son,” Henry said.

“Yes, he’s in college now,” Brian said proudly. The table waited further explanation. “A close friend and her partner at the time wanted a child; I made a donation,” Brian said with a self deprecating shrug.

“It was more than that,” Justin added. “He and Gus are very close. Gus is an artist like his mother but wants to follow in Brian’s footsteps. One day he’ll take over Kinnetik.” Brian and Justin beamed with pride.

“And is Gus’s mother the mother of this little princess?” Martin asked. Paul suspected that Martin had a desire for children.

“No, we hired a surrogate,” Justin explained.

Then the conversation drifted toward how each of the children of their ‘family’ came to be.

“I know Bree would love to visit Hawaii and maybe someday we’ll come back, but I’d really be afraid that she’d get sunburned. If you think that Justin’s skin is pale, you should see Bree. And Patrick has his Poppa’s fair skin. Gus has my skin,” Brian explained.

“Then maybe we’ll just have to move in with you guys while you stay,” Paul said, very pleased with himself. “I’m a pretty good doctor,” he stated buffing his nails on his shirt. They all laughed.

“Excellent idea! And of course, you’ll need a medic. I’m much better in an emergency that he is,” Martin stated, tooting his own horn just to tease his partner.

While Angelica and Henry laughed, as Paul and Martin teased and bickered, Brian and Justin sat back and reflected.

“In spite of all the ‘mishaps’ as you’re so fond of calling them, I did have a good time,” Brian stated.

“Yeah, I did too but I think it was because of them,” Justin said, cocking his chin toward their new friends.

“We seem to find family wherever we go, don’t we, Sunshine?” Brian asked with love glittering in his eyes.

“Yes, we do,” Justin whispered. “And thank you for my honeymoon and for getting us on that charter plane. I love you.” Justin gave Brian a discreet peck on the lips.

“Love you too, Sunshine,” Brian murmured back.

A clearing of the throat got Brian’s attention. “We should get you to the airport,” Henry suggested. Brian gave the man a small smile as he nodded in agreement. Brian signaled for the check and then their party slowly made their way back to the car.

“Are you sure you don’t want us to go with you to help?” Martin asked.

“We’ll be fine,” Justin said as he gave his new friend a one-armed hug.

Gingerly the boys hugged both men then allowed Henry and Angelica to help them into the car. With promises from Paul and Martin to visit if they came back East, Brian and Justin drove off.

“I hope they make it to the airport without any problems,” Paul said as he watched Henry drive them out of the restaurant parking lot. “I hope they make it home without any more problems,” he quickly amended his statement.

“From your lips to Pele’s ears, Babe,” Martin said as they turned toward their own vehicle.



*****



“Bri, how are we gonna get home?” Justin asked as they settled into the back of the Mercedes. Angelica was sitting up front with Henry.

“I called John; he’ll meet us when we land.”

“He’s not bringing the whole family is he?” Justin pleaded with his eyes.

“No, I asked him to come alone.”

“Does he know what happened to us?”

Brian shook his head. “No, I didn’t want everyone to worry. I told him that I fell and wasn’t moving very fast; I left it at that. He’s smart; he’ll know not to crowd the whole family into the Navigator.”

Justin nodded then rested his head on Brian’s shoulder. They remained quiet for the journey to the airport.



*****



“We’ve had hundreds of guests at the estate but none as memorable as you,” Angelica said with tears in her eyes as she gently hugged the boys. Henry had pulled up to the designated drop-off section for the private charters. Both he and Angelica quickly got out of the car to help Brian and Justin.

“Well, I am unforgettable,” Brian snarked as he mustered up some of the Brian Kinney arrogance. Justin rolled his eyes.

“We won’t forget either of you. Promise me, if you ever decide to fly off this island that’ll you’ll visit us,” Justin made Angelica and Henry promise.

“We promise,” Henry answered. Angelica was too busy crying.

“If you bring your little princess, I’ll have an extra strong sunblock made just for her,” Angelica said into Brian’s ear then she kissed both his cheeks before letting him go. Brian nodded but said nothing; he was going to miss them.

A valet came to the curb to tend to their bags. Brian had gifts and extra purchases Fedex’d to Kinnetik, except for Bree's charm and Gus’ bracelet. He had contacted Ted to take charge of them. It was then that Brian had learned of the Memorial Day barbecue plans, but decided to say nothing to Justin for the moment. Neither of them were in a party mood.

Angelica and Henry watched as Brian and Justin hobbled off into the terminal. They had plenty of time to check in and rest before boarding.

“Do you think they’ll be all right?” Angelica asked her husband as they drove out of the airport. She turned on the radio to the local news station. The announcer stated that Kilauea was quiet for the moment.

“Pele is happy,” was all Henry would say.



*****



The long flight home was uneventful. The boys would have a day and a half to rest up before the family would descend upon them at Edna’s Treasures. Eventually, Brian revealed the plans about the barbecue and that the family had already decided to take charge so that the boys would have nothing to do but sit back and let it happen.

“I thought you said you didn't tell them what happened to us,” Justin said when Brian told him about the barbecue.

“I didn't.”

“Maybe someone’s psychic.”

“Or maybe they had a call from ‘Mysterious Marilyn,” Brian snarked making quote marks in the air and humming the Twilight Zone theme song. “All I know is that Emmett, Debbie and John have it all arranged,” Brian growled. His leg was beginning to throb and he suspected that Justin was growing more uncomfortable as well.

“Want something for the pain?” Justin asked. Between him and the steward, they rearranged Brian’s leg on some pillows.

“No, I just want to sleep. What about you?”

“I want to sleep too.” The steward brought them an extra blanket so that Brian could drape it onto Justin. Justin leaned his good shoulder onto Brian then fell asleep. Brian watched his sleeping spouse for a while. The lights dimmed and soon he too was asleep.



*****



“Unca John, will Daddy and Dada be surprised to see me?” Bree had begged and pleaded to be allowed to go to the airport to pick up her daddies. They were flying into Harrisburg instead of Pittsburgh.

“I’m sure they will but remember, princess, they’re going to be very tired and they may even be grumpy after their long flight. We must keep quiet and no pouncing on them,” John counseled.

“I promise, Unca John.”

The private terminal was quiet compared to the rest of the airport. Brian and Justin’s plane landed and all the passengers deplaned quickly. The boys were the last off. Brian conceded to the wheelchair ride into the terminal as Justin walked close behind. With help from the steward Brian stood up and got his crutches under him to finish the journey over to the baggage claim. Slowly the pair made their way over to their bags.

Bree, in John’s arms, spotted them first.

“Daddy! Dada!” Her clear voice echoed through the terminal. John tightened his grip on his niece who was bouncing in his arms then strode over.

“What the fuck happened?” John demanded as he took a good look at the exhausted and injured men.

Brian and Justin glanced at each other and then at John and Bree.

“Pele wasn’t happy.”

-TBC-

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked It's All Down Hill From Here also liked 552 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is Emerge Victorious. The next story in the series is There's No Place Like Home.