- Text Size +

 

ASHES TO AUTUMN



Part three: The Second Wrong Makes You Feel Right

Justin moped around for days.  He was happy for Ethan his first major concert was coming up.  Justin decided some how he would attend.

Justin was feeling a bit stupid.  He wanted to listen to the CD listen and read the words but he had given it back to Brian.  Now all that was left was a faded rose that he carefully pressed into one of his art books. He put it next to a picture of Michelangelo's David, the sculpture reminded Justin of Brian.

When Justin arrived at the diner for his shift the CD was waiting for him.  It was as if Brian knew what Justin was thinking. This CD was new the protective wrapper was still in place.  A small note was taped the cover, "I understand" was all it said. Justin shoved the CD in to his pack and went to work.

After Ethan's triumphant performance and disastrous homecoming Justin's world spun out of control.  He felt homeless, he questioned his whole life up to this point and wondered how he got here.

One night at Daph's while listening to the music for the umpteenth time Justin marked another song.  Not willing to give up the whole CD he slipped the lyric booklet into his pocket and went to Woody's looking for Brian.

Justin saw Brian working very hard at becoming totally drunk surrounded by the gang.  He boldly made his way to the bar and stood behind Brian. Brian sensed the boy's presence and turned.  As he inhaled the boy's scent he felt Justin press something into his hand. Justin smiled weakly and touched Brian's cheek then walked away.

Brian felt floods of emotion crash into him like a tidal wave.  He had to leave. Emmett and Ted were speechless. Mikey started to rant and rave cursing Justin.  Brian shot him an angry glare and grabbed at Mikey's shirt. Brian looked like he was going to punch him. The look of fear flashed across Michael's face, Brian released him and fled back to the loft.

As Brian went into the loft he looked at the paper in his hand.  The lyric book was crushed within his fist. Carefully he unwrinkled it as best as he could and turned each page; he came across…



The Second Wrong Makes You Feel Right

Began, present, fade out,
Judgment please don't fail me now,
This time, this time
A lesson learned is a picture burned,
You're a memory to me,
Upon ignition come bear witness to the greatest therapy,
Just begin, present, fade out,
Judgment please don't fail me now,
This time
That was the day I put your picture aside.
Swallowed the fact that dream had died.
Every time you close your mind,
You should be seeing me.
Every time you close your eyes (at night)
Every time you close your eyes
You should be seeing me.
As you lay in bed at night, I'll be there in your dreams.
So sorrows in, is that what you heard?
That you can cash in, on what we wrote,
Helpless isn't the right word but it's the first that comes
to mind,
There's worse things than being unknown,
I think in time I'll get by
That was the day I put your picture aside.
Swallowed the fact that our dream had died.
Every time you close your mind,
You should be seeing me.
Begin, present, fade out,
Judgment don't fail me now
You're to die for.
Life means more.
Out of sight.
With no light.

Brian read the words and thought maybe just maybe.



End of part three.