- Text Size +

Officer Brown got Brian and Justin to the hospital in record time.  By the time they walked in Mel and Lindsay were already there. The four hugged.  “Have you heard anything?” Brian asked


“They say he is very shocky.  He appears to have a severely broken leg and frostbite. We saw him through the window but they wouldn’t let us talk to him.” Mel hung on to Lindsay as Linds spoke. “Oh, Justin, they wanted you to let them know when you arrived for some reason.”


Brian and Justin went to the desk. “We are Gus’ dads.  We heard you wanted to talk to Justin? He isn’t the biological fa…”


The nurse interrupted him as he came around and took Justin’s arm.  “I don’t care who you are. That little boy wants to see you,” As Brian started to follow he turned and said, “You wait here.”


Justin was led to a curtained off area.  He heard Gus whimpering and without being escorted he rushed through the opening.  He nearly knocked someone over as he went to the bed. Justin looked down at his son. He could see bandages on his hands and feet and there was a nurse monitoring his vitals.  He leaned over the bed. “I’m here, Gussy. Daddy’s here. I am not leaving.”


Gus’ eyes fluttered open. “I’m so sorry, Daddy.  I didn’t…. I know….”


“Shhhh, Baby.  Calm down. I am here.  I am not leaving.”


The nurse smiled at him.  “The doctor is looking at his x-rays.  This young man wouldn’t let him do much until he saw you.   He needed to see his dad.”


“I am married to his dad.”


“Don’t ever doubt.  You are his dad in his heart and that is all that counts.”


A man in a white coat walked in with Brian.  Brian kissed his son and put his arm around Justin. “Gus, you scared the hell…. It is so good to see you. It looks like you are going to need some surgery,” he said as he brushed his hair to the side.  “We need to let your moms come say ‘hi’ before they take you. You can have one of us with you when you move upstairs.”


“If moms don’t care I want Daddy.”


“Your moms don’t care, Gus.  Justin will be waiting for you outside.”


Brian lead Justin to the hall and Mel and Linds went in. “How bad is it, Brian? Are they operating on his leg?”


“Yes, they showed us the x-ray. They haven’t gotten much out of him but they don’t know how he made it anywhere on that leg. But he wouldn’t let them even look at his hands and feet until he talked to you. They will look at the fingers and toes while he is in surgery.  They aren’t sure how damaged they are. I have to wait down here so just come back down once they take him to surgery.” He took Justin into his arms and kissed him.


They rolled Gus out with Mel and Linds following.  “Daddy,” Gus said as he reached a bandaged hand out.


“I’m here, son,” he didn’t take the hand but touched his shoulder as they moved along the hall. “I’m not going anywhere.”


Gus was put into a room to wait for the operating room to open.  They said it would be about 30 minutes before they started prepping him.  Gus really wanted to hold hands but Justin knew that wasn’t smart. Gus was whimpering a bit so Justin asked the nurse adjusting his IV bags, “Do you think I could get into bed with him for a bit. I will be very careful.  Trust me I have had my share of doing this.” As he talked he moved to the side of Gus’ good leg. He slipped in next to him. He looked so small in the bed there was plenty of room. “Hey, Gussy, you just leave your hands where the doctor told you to, I will put my arm,” his arm went under Gus’ neck, and could then move in close.  Gus instantly quieted down and relaxed against Justin.


The nurse looked at Justin, “Thank you.  If he is able to calm down everything will go easier.” Gus had already started the soft steady breathing of sleep.  “You have done that before.”


“Let’s just say our family has had the best and the worst two years of our lives.” Justin smoothed Gus’ dirty hair back and kissed his forehead.


The surgeon walked in and scowled at Justin but Justin got a defiant look. “You really shouldn’t be in there. It isn’t practical.”


“I really don’t care if it is practical.  My son has been missing for two days and he is scared to death.  I am not in your way and I am not hurting him in any way.”


The doctor glared at the nurse. “Gus was very agitated and his father was very careful.”


Justin jumped in, “In the last two years my baby daughter was born, my husband had cancer, my daughter was kidnapped and then I needed brain surgery.  I have been in and out of a multitude of hospitals and their beds and I don’t care what you think. Touch is as important as medication.”


The doctor said something softly to the nurse and walked out. She turned and smiled at Justin. “That was good.  He doesn’t get spoken to like that often. It is good to remind him we are all humans. You really have had a rough couple years.”


“Ya, I was in here about three months ago having my head cracked open. I had scar tissue from a previous injury that needed to be removed. What did he say as he left.”


“He just told me to keep a close eye on you and told me when to start the medication for the surgery.  You have about 10 minutes before that happens.


Justin had a few things he wanted to make sure Gus heard this.  “Hey, Gus,” He kissed his cheek, “Baby?”


“I’m awake, Daddy.”


“Pretty soon you are going to get really tired and go to sleep for your surgery but I need to tell you something.”


“Am I in trouble?”



“Eventually I am sure your four parents will need to talk to each other and you but you aren’t in trouble.  Gus, you realize how much we love you, don’t you? It doesn’t matter who gave birth to you or who provided the sperm because we all love you equally.  And if changing your name is what you need to do your moms will agree to you changing it. Sweetheart, we love you, not your name. You scared me so bad.  What happened that night?”


“I snuck in John’s car and then slipped out when they got home.  I thought maybe I could catch a flight, sneak on board, I didn’t know but then I tripped in the woods and hurt my leg, and my fingers and toes got so cold….I managed to get to the hanger. I was so cold the first night but next morning I broke into the office.  I’ll pay for the lock, I promise.”


“Your dad will have the best lock put on the door.  Don’t worry about it.”


“Well, when I got to the office I had forgotten my bag across the hanger and I hurt too much to go get it.  At least I had water and some warm coats to cover myself. Daddy, I might lose some fingers or toes, huh? I heard them talking when they thought I was sleeping.”


“Gus, you are going to live, that is all we care about.  You are loved beyond words and…”


“Daddy, I am sorry I was acting like you weren’t my parent.  You have always treated me just like Brinn. I love you.”


Justin kissed his boy and Gus held on tight until the nurse walked in a couple minutes later.


“I am afraid it is time for me to prep Gus.  You will need to get out of the bed but you can stay until he is asleep.”


Justin kept his hand on Gus’ shoulder until he was asleep and then watched them roll him toward the operating room.  Justin asked where his family would have located and he found them in a waiting room. After holding on to Brian for a minute he sat down and told the other parents Gus’ story.  “He was worried about breaking a lock, a cheap interior lock.” He looked at Brian, “I told him we would replace it with the best lock available. Of course, he is worried about being in trouble  and I didn’t let him off the hook completely but I reminded him we all love him so much that he doesn’t need to worry about anything.”


Lindsay hugged Justin, “Thank you.  I don’t know if he would have talked to anyone but you today. He had mentioned his name a couple times but he never made it seem like it was that important.  I should have…”


“Don’t second guess yourself, Linds. Gus seems so mature sometimes but he is still a boy in most ways. Maybe Blake could give us some suggestions with the name so we can proceed. “Melanie, it isn’t that hard to change his name if that is decided to be best, is it?”


“No,” Melanie was pouting a bit. “But he has our name on his birth certificate. I never…”


Brian looked at her, “Really, Mel, really?  You are going to focus on a name rather than our son you go ahead and do that.  His last name is so much more important than his mental health.” Brian walked over to Justin.  “Let’s get a little air. Text us if the doctor comes out. We will only be a couple minutes away.”


Brian and Justin went to the roof.  Brian stared off as Justin wrapped his arms around him from behind. “This is where I stood the night Gus was born.  Well, that night I was stupid enough to go on the ledge.” He turned to face Justin and lowered his mouth. Their lips met and melted into each other.  


When they separated Justin looked at Brian. “He will be Ok.  If he loses a toe or finger he will still survive and live a normal life and he will still be loved by his parents, all of his parents.”  


“Yes, he will and I have to admit I would like to be loving one of them right now.” Brian slid his hand over Justin’s curved ass. “If it wasn’t so cold I would take you right now.  It is going to be a while I am afraid and I could use you over and over right now.!” Brian pressed him tightly against the wall and slid his hand into Justin’s pants. His hand slid down the valley and in one quick move Brian entered him with his finger.


Justin gasped as it took him by surprise. Brian lifted one of Justin’s legs up giving him better access.  With Brian’s mouth crushed on his, Justin was soon gasping and came as Brian continued to stroke his prostate.


By the time they arrived back in the waiting room they were both cold and flushed at the same time. Mel looked at Lindsay, “You owe me a ‘favor’ tonight.”


“Really, guys, in the hospital while your son is in surgery?”


“Did we miss anything, Lindsay? Did the doctor come out and tell you something?  In the last 10 years have I EVER shirked my duties as a father? Have I ever NOT been there for him? We did not leave the building and could have been here in less than 5 minutes if we were needed.


“Excuse me!” The doctor said sharply. “If you can stop arguing for a moment I will let you know how your son is.”


All four of them quieted down and looked at the doctor. Having spoken to Justin earlier the doctor focused on him.  “Let’s start with the leg. I had to put a couple screws in but it looked good. I think he will recover quickly. His doctor will have to keep an eye on it when  he hits adulthood. Hopefully, his bones will just grow on their own. Now, as for the frostbite. I had to remove some dead skin on his fingers but his toes are in bad shape.  They will cause more trouble. I hope I have removed enough of the dead skin. We will have to keep a very close eye on him. He will probably could go home in the next day or two but he will need to have his hands and feet rebandaged daily so he may have to stay here for that reason.”


“Is that something a nurse could do?  We have a nurse that works for us.” Justin said quickly.


“Yes, if you can arrange that, he could go home probably tomorrow if no complications arise,” the doctor stated. “We will work this out later.  I have to get ready for another procedure. The four of you can see him but not all together and if there is another outburst like I just saw you will not be allowed in the hospital at the same time.” And the doctor was gone.  


Brian and Justin hugged as did Mel and Lindsay and then the men and women looked at each other and hugged. Peter and John arrived so Mel and Linds went to visit Gus first.  Peter and John were filled in on the results of the surgery and were told they hoped he would be able to come home tomorrow if Alice was willing to help. The problem with that was she had planned to go help with Matty and now she would have to stay at Brian and Justin’s for Gus.


“I can’t believe I am suggesting this but do you think your mom could help you out.  You know we don’t get along but I also know she would never hurt your son. When you guys were little she really was a good mom. I also happen to know she has been clean for over 3 months now, since your wedding.”


Peter added, “Becca and I will help as much as we can where ever you need us.”


“You’re school work comes first but thank you,” John said. “Tell Gus we will see him as soon as he gets home.” The men hugged and the younger two left.  Brian and Justin stood their with their arms around each other waiting for Mel and Linds to come out. When they walked out Mel had her arm around Lindsay’s waist and both women looked shaken.


“He is in so much pain. Tell them to give him more medicine. Our poor baby.”   Lindsay couldn’t stand seeing him hurting so bad. “We’ll call you tomorrow and find out what the doctor says.”


Before the men stepped in the door Justin looked at Brian.  “Just so you know, I am sleeping here tonight and nothing you say or do will change my mind.”


“Hey, Sonny Boy.” Brian walked over and kissed his son he wanted to scoop him up and hold him but that wasn’t happening. Brian kept stroking Gus’ hair as Justin walked to the otherside of the bed.  Justin could see the strain on Gus’ face.


“You are hurting aren’t you, Gussy?”  Gus nodded and tears came to his eyes.  “Oh, Honey,” Justin kissed him. “I’m going to check with the nurse about pain medication.” He left father and son together.


Brian sat down next to the bed and put his hand on Gus’ forearm.   He started to talk but noticed Gus’ eyes were shut. He ached for his son.  Justin returned and looked at Gus. “The nurse said the meds should be kicking in.”


Brian stood and took Justin’s hand.  He led him to the reclining chair in the room and sat down pulling Justin down with him. They reclined in the chair together absorbing the warmth of each other, “We have our boy back.” Brian buried his face into Justin’s neck.  They held on tight to each other as they lived with their own thoughts. Instinctively, Justin’s lips searched out Brian’s and Brian pulled him in.


After a few minutes Justin said, “I texted Alice when I was in the hall.  She said Brinn seems to be cutting her first molars and is fussy but otherwise things are good. I am going to cancel my trip to New York.  I can’t leave now.”


“Justin, that is over a week away and you are only going to be gone for 36 hours.  We can survive without you that long, just no longer!” He kissed Justin again. “Just let your agent know what is going on and as long as Gus is doing alright you should be able to make your trip.”


“You’re right.  I know you can deal with it.” They kissed once more and then dozed off.


“Dads, are you awake?” Gus asked softly.


“Hey, Gussy.  Did you have a nice nap?”


“It would be nicer if I was in my own bed. You and Dad could go home. I can stay..”


“You are not staying here alone.”


“How’s Brinn? I miss her.”


“She is getting some teeth. She misses you, too.”


“Daddy, you need to go home to her. She doesn’t have John there anymore.”


“But Gus…”


“Gus is right.  I will stay here with him and you go home to our daughter.”


“Are you sure?”


“Yes, if Gus will share his bed.”


Justin kissed Gus. “I’ll be back in the morning and bring you home, ok. I love you, Gussy.  I am going to have your dad walk me to the car, ok?”


“Ya, go kiss somewhere else.”


“I’ll be back in about five minutes.”


“Ok, Dad.”


Justin and Brian walked out to the SUV Peter and John brought them.  Justin pinned Brian against the side of the vehicle. He reached down the front of Brian’s pants. He looked around the parking garage and saw no one was there.  He unzipped Brian’s fly and took him in his mouth. Brian’s knees almost buckled at the feel of Justin’s tongue on the underside of his dick. It was only a matter of minutes before Brian was filling Justin’s mouth. Justin swallowed it all.


“You need to to back to Gus. I will talk to you in the morning.   Love you,” Brian and Justin kissed and went their separate ways.


Brian walked into Gus’ room and found him with his eyes closed but in obvious pain.  He went out and talked to the nurse and the nurse said she would be in in about ten minutes after consulting with the doctor.


Brian noticed Gus had repositioned himself closer to one side of the bed.  That explains why he was in more pain.


Brian took off his shoes and grabbed an extra blanket before sliding carefully into bed with Gus. Since Gus couldn’t use his hands, Brian helped position him.  Holding him close he stroked Gus’ chest.


“That feels really nice.”


“Sunny Boy, you scared the hell out of us. Don’t ever do that again.”


“I’m sorry.”

“I know I am not always the easiest person to talk to but Justin will always listen and know what to say.”


“I just felt so left out but I realize now that a name isn’t important.  What’s important is being loved. And I know you all love me.”


“Gus, Justin was a Kinney long before he took my name.  But if you want to change it just talk to your moms. I think they will understand. I know they will listen.”


“I love you, Dad.”


“Oh, Gus, you can’t imagine how much I love you. But now you sleep.”  Brian continued to stroke Gus’ chest as he drifted off to sleep. Brian soon joined him.



Justin arrived home to find Alice walking with a cranky Brinn. The relief that crossed Alice’s face told him he had made the right decision coming home.  “Daddy,” Brinn said tearfully as she tugged on her ear. “My daddy.” Justin took her in his arms.


“Oh, Sweetheart, does your mouth hurt?”


“My, owie, no bye bye, gone, Daddy…”  Brinn kept stringing words together but not making a lot of sense.


“Alice you get some sleep. I have her tonight.”


“How is Gus?”


“He is in a lot of pain.  We hope he can come home tomorrow.  I am going to have to get a bedroom set up down here for him since he isn’t going to be mobile for a while.  He can’t use crutches with his hands like that.”


“Yes, I was thinking he probably should just figure on homeschooling until after the first of the year for sure. I think the dining room would be the easiest to convert for now.” Alice decided.  “I am going to bed. Brinn can have more pain killer in an hour if she needs it.” And Alice was gone.


Justin walked around with Brinn singing softly in her ear and patting her back.  He felt her relax a bit. An hour later he gave her a bottle and her medicine and then he brought her to bed with him.  She soon was sound asleep. Justin held his sweet baby girl and realized how good life was.


When Justin woke he found Brinn looking at him, “Daddy, sleeping?”


“Good morning, are you feeling better, Sweety?

She dropped forward and kissed him.  “Where Daddy? Where Gus?”


“Oh, Baby Girl, they will both be home today.”  


While Brinn was still happy on the bed Justin rented some furniture.  He got a promise for a fee they would move furniture around for him. Justin took a quick shower with Brinn and after dressing her he called Brian.


“Good morning, My Love. How is our son?”


“Just a minute.”  Justin could hear Brian moving. “I’m back.  He is sleeping. He had a rough night. They upped his pain meds in the middle of the night and he could finally sleep. How is Brinn?”


“She is feeling better. A couple of the teeth broke through. I rented some furniture for Gus to use downstairs for now.”

“Good idea.  He won’t want to be stuck in his room.” They talked a few minutes.


“Dad?” Brian heard Gus calling for him.


“I have to go.  Gus is calling. I will call you as soon as I know when he can leave. I love you, Sunshine.”


“Love you, too, Baby.”


“Hey, Gus.” Brian kissed him. “I was talking to your dad.  Brinny got two new teeth last night and she is asking for you.”


“I miss her but I won’t be able to help anymore.”

“We plan to put you to work right away.  We are going to have you sleep downstairs for a while since you are not going to be able to do the steps so you can entertain Brinn on the bed.”


“Dad, my feet and hands hurt a lot.”


“I know, Gus.  You will get some more medication soon.  If you are alright I am going to go see if I can find the Doctor.”


“Ok, Dad.”


Two hours later Gus was in the back of the SUV and Brian and Justin were on their way back home.  They had a wheelchair and crutches with them. The doctor had hesitated sending him home but when he heard how large the house was and that they had hired help he agreed.  Brian and Justin would have another nurse working hours so Alice could continue her normal routine. Claire was glad to help out with Matty so everything seemed to be working out well.


Brian planned to work out of the house a good part of the next week.  He had recently promoted Gale, Daphne’s husband, so Ted and Cynthia wouldn’t have more to deal with. Gale and Daphne had just found out they were expecting their second so his promotion was good for them too.


When the SUV pulled up Peter, Becca, and Tony were waiting.  Peter walked over to Gus’ door, “Hey, Cuz, you don’t know how glad I am to see you!”  Peter hugged Gus and Gus hugged him back. Can I give you a lift?”


“Thanks, Pete,” Gus was a little embarrassed that he needed this much help but he put his arms around Peter’s neck. Gus caught himself hugging him tight “I’m glad to be home.” Peter squeezed him a bit tighter.


Softly Peter said to Gus, “Love you, Cuz.  Don’t do that again.” Peter carried him into the dining room and set him on the bed. “This is where you’ll be hanging for a while.”


Justin sat next to Gus on the bed.  “We had to figure out the best way for you to be involved in the family and we decided staying in here you will be able to get around in the chair for now and soon on crutches. And we hired someone to help you out for a couple weeks anyway.  We thought you might like a guy instead of a lady helping with somethings.”


Gus flushed, “Ya, you’re probably right.”  Gus was a bit overwhelmed. He hadn’t thought about the fact that he couldn’t get up and down the stairs or even help himself to the bathroom and then there was the pain.  He always hurt now. He could deal with the low thump in his leg but the sharp pain in his fingers and toes was almost unbearable. “Do you know when I can get more medicine.  I really hurt and I am tired.”


“Sure, Gus, you lay down and I will check with Lucky, he’s your nurse.”


Becca walked in and without drawing attention, she helped him get under the covers as she chatted with him. “Are you comfortable?”


“Ya, thanks, Becca.” Becca gave him a kiss on the cheek and went to check up on everything.


Justin was talking to a young man.  “How is he, Becca?”


“I think he is just realizing how injured he really is.  He is also in a lot of pain.”


“Oh,” Justin said, “This is Lucky. He is going to help out with Gus.”


The two shook hands.  “Lucky, Becca is a great help and if Brian and I aren’t around she is willing to help.  Also, she knows Gus really well so if he seems upset or just being 13, you’ll help, won’t you, Becca?”


“Of course I will.  You know I love Gus.”


“I hate to do it but I have to go to NYC at the end of the week.  I will just be gone one night but I know Gus will be nervous about it.”

“I will stay here if that helps,” Becca offered.


“Thanks, Becca.  I knew I could count on you.”



Justin went into Gus with Lucky to introduce him but Gus was already asleep.  “I’ll just make myself comfortable and you go get some sleep, Mr. Kinney.”


“Justin, please, and if you need me you can text me.  I will be close. Right now I am going to go check on Brian.  He didn’t sleep too well with Gus last night.”


“Don’t worry about us.” Lucky said softly as he waved Justin off.


Justin found Brinn with Alice.  “Is she about ready for her nap?”


“She is.” Alice replied.


“Come here, Sweetheart, let’s take a nap.”  Justin took Brinn from Alice and brought her upstairs.  He walked into the bedroom and found Brian lying on the bed. “Someone wants to say hello before taking her nap.”


Brian sat up and took Brinn.  He gave her a big hug and kiss. “After we both get a nap we can have playtime, alright.”


“Daddy, play?”


“Yes, after a sleep we will play, maybe Gus will like to play too?”


“My Gussy home.”  She smiled and yawned.  


Justin took her and was soon back from the nursery.


While Justin had been in the nursery, Brian had stripped and gotten under the covers while Justin was away.  Without a word, Justin dropped his clothes and joined him. Brian slid his hands down Justin’s naked back and onto his firm ass. “I have missed you. With all that has been going on the last several days we haven’t had nearly enough time for….” Brian sighed as Justin took Brian’s cock in his hand as his mouth assailed Brian’s.


“I need you.  I need you deep inside me, soon!”


Brian began teasing him with his fingers at first and then rolled him to his back and Brian’s tongue grazed that special spot.   Justin nearly went over the edge with that action alone but after he probed a few more times with his tongue he repositioned Justin so he could slip in while stroking the spot between his cock and asshole. As Brian stroked Justin’s prostate from the inside and the outside Justin soared and then screamed and tightened around Brian as they connected souls and soared off together.


An hour later Justin and Brian had showered and were dressed, both feeling refreshed and relaxed.  They heard Brinn talking as Justin pressed against Brian once more and accepted the kiss he offered.  “I love you, Sunshine. I know you are nervous about leaving at the end of the week but we will survive without you although it will be difficult without being able to tap that amazing ass. Do you think we have time for one more….


“Dad, daddy!” Brinn called out.


“I think our daughter answered that.” Justin walked to the door and entered the nursery.



The next few days they created a routine around Gus’ schedule.  Justin spent as much time with both kids as he could. It was hard to explain to Brinn he would be gone but he thought she finally realized he would be gone only one night.  Gus understood but was a bit scared since he relied on Justin when he hurt. Justin seemed to be able to talk him down until he could have more medication. “Gus, I will talk to your dad about helping you get past the bad spots, Okay?”


Gus pulled Justin close. “I love you, Daddy and you know I love Dad but he isn’t any good at this stuff.”

“Would you like me to talk to Lucky?  Would you feel comfortable with him doing our little trick?”


“Ya, I think I would. I like Lucky.  He keeps things cool even when it is really embarrassing.”


Justin felt sorry for Gus. He knew how embarrassed he was when he needed to go to the bathroom or bathe.  And Justin knew the tears Gus had shed in front of Lucky from the pain.


That afternoon Lucky sat in the room as Justin got in bed with Gus and slid behind him.  Gus laid against Justin and Justin spoke softly as he stroked Gus’s hair and then his chest and arms.  He did it in a rhythm as he spoke softly. “Just focus on my voice, Gus. Focus on my touch. Focus on your breathing. I love you, Gussy.”  Gus relaxed against Justin and soon he seemed to control the pain.


Justin looked at Lucky.  “As you know I have been doing this about three times a day.  Usually you just take a break then. When it happens late afternoon I will let you try it with him.  Becca and Alice will take care of it at night. His moms will probably be around part of the day while I am gone too so you shouldn’t have a problem getting breaks in.”


That’s when Justin noticed Brian at the door.   He slipped out and gently laid Gus back. Justin stepped out into the hall and shut the doors behind him. Brian held him.  “What would we do without you. You are SO amazing.”


“Did you get a chance to play with Brinn? She was looking forward to it.”


“I just finished playing with her.  When does your plane leave tomorrow?”


“Around 8:00  a.m. which means I have to leave here by 6:00. I have Gus taken care of I think and Alice will have your back with Brinn.  Your sister is helping John and Tony and Becca and Peter will fill in anywhere you need them.”


“Who’s going to fill in for you in the bedroom?”


“No one better fill in for me or….” Justin reached out and slowly rubbed Brian’s fly.  “Just think about how good it is when we’ve waited an extra day. I will only be gone one night and I can promise it will be well worth your time.” Justin stepped up on his tiptoes and adding pressure with his hand he kissed Brian with such a delicate touch that Brian nearly wept for more contact. Brian circled Justin’s waist and plunged his tongue into Justin’s mouth.  Brian’s free hand held the back of Justin’s head and continued to plunder and soon they were both gasping for breath and were desparate to touch more skin when they both heard or felt someone beside them.


They both looked over to see Alice next to them.  “Sorry to interrupt but,” Alice turned green before their eyes and ran toward the nearest bathroom.  They followed her to the downstairs bathroom and Justin knocked after a couple minutes.


“Alice, are you alright in there?”


“Just a minute,” they heard her say softly.”


A couple minutes later the door opened. Alice looked very shaky. She had her mouth and nose covered.  “I think I have the flu. I sprayed this room down but I have to get out of here before anyone else catches it. I’m glad I didn’t spend too much time with Gus but I am a little worried about Brinn.”


Justin took control.  “Go home. Becca will help.  Go! Oh, can you drive?”


“I am sure I can make it home. I am so sorry.” and she was gone.


“Well it looks like I need to figure out a few things.  I need to figure out if I need to cancel my trip.”


“You are not canceling your trip.  Becca can help.”


“Becca is finishing up her semester.  I don’t know what her schedule is the next couple days.”


“Justin, won’t you let me do something for our family.   I heard Gus say I wouldn’t be the right person to help him and it’s true.  I can’t deal with his pain but I can take care of our little girl especially with Becca’s help part of the time.  Linds and Mel will help while they are here. You need to go, Justin. It is for your business, your career.” Brian took Justin in his arms.   Justin looked up and nodded. “Let’s go check on Becca’s schedule.”


Becca slept in the room with Gus that night so Brian and Justin could spend the night together  before Justin left. Becca had observed how Justin helped Gus’ pain so she could try it with him tomorrow night if she needed to.  


Justin packed and then started running the tub. Brian had read a story to Brinn and Justin kissed her goodnight.  Justin and Brian returned to their room and disrobed. They climbed into the tub and after Brian sat down Justin joined him. Brian put his arms around Justin and stroked him the way he had seen Justin do to Gus.  “How did you learn to do that pain trick? It seem to help him for a short time anyway.”


“It’s something I did when you were so sick. I would just stroke your skin and speak softly to you.  I would let you know I was there and I loved you so much. I do the same with Gus. You don’t remember any of that do you?”


Brian held him tighter.  “I remember your arms around me.  I remember absorbing your energy. I remember feeling your tears run down my face.” Brian buried his head into Justin’s neck and started kissing it and then dragging his tongue from the curve of his neck to Justin’s mouth.  Brian helped Justin stand up and stood up after him. They dried each other off and went to their bed, They both laid on their left sides and Brian came in close behind Justin. Brian penetrated deep into Justin. He shifted a bit and gained a few more millimeters. Brian began long slow strokes, nearly pulling all the way out and then back all the way in.  Brian continued the slow, almost leisurely pace until Justin became frantic. He began to meet Brian’s stroke adding force. Justin reached around and held Brian’s hips where they were and began contracting his muscles around Brian’s engorged cock and Brian filled Justin with all the love he could supply.


When Brian woke in the morning Justin was gone and there was a note on his pillow.  


‘My Darling,

I am totally confident in your ability to take care of our family while I am gone.  You have so much love to give them they won’t notice I am gone.  

You are my life, Baby.

Your Sunshine.’


Brian missed Justin already.  Anytime they were apart it was harder to breath.  He heard Brinn waking up so he went in to get her.  And his day began. By noon Brian was exhausted. After lunch, Mel and Linds arrived giving Lucky a little break.  Mel volunteered to watch Brinn for an hour while Brian made a couple business calls.


When Gus’ moms left Lucky could tell Gus’ pain level was increasing.  “Gus, I know I am not your dad but would you like me to try to help with the pain?”


Gus nodded.  Lucky got into bed behind Gus and wrapped his arms gently around him.  He stroked Gus like Justin did. Gus could not relax like with Justin but Lucky softly started singing:


Take my mind

And take my pain

Like an empty bottle takes the rain

And heal, heal, heal, heal

And take my past

And take my sense

Like an empty sail takes the wind

And heal, heal, heal, heal

And tell me somethings last

And tell me somethings last

Take a heart

And take a hand

Like an ocean takes the dirty sand

And heal, heal, hell, heal

Take my mind

And take my pain

Like an empty bottle takes the rain

And heal, heal, hell, heal

And tell me somethings last

‘Heal’ Song by: Tom Odell


Soon Gus was limp against Lucky’s chest. He could feel the vibration from deep inside.  He also realized he was focusing on the feel of Lucky’s cock against his ass. He never thought of that with Daddy but Gus’ mind wandered to the movie he had watched with Tony and Daddy and he really wondered what it felt like.  He remembered hearing the words pain and pleasure. He knew he didn’t have any pleasure in this kind of pain. Gus let himself drift into the peace of Lucky’s voice.



By bedtime the house was quiet.  Peter and Becca were staying at the main house.  Peter knew Becca was tired so he told her to go sleep upstairs and he would sleep in earshot of Gus.  


After Brinn went down for the night Brian came in to say goodnight to Gus.  After he said goodnight Peter followed him out. “Uncle Brian, how much have you had already to drink tonight?”


“So I’ve had a couple. It’s no big deal.”


“Is Becca going to have to listen for Brinn or will you be able to take care of her if she needs you?”


Brian spat,“I can take care of my family, Peter!” and he went to bed.


Peter texted Becca upstairs and let her know Brian would probably be passing out soon.  She responded that she would keep an ear open.


Brian called Justin but it went to voicemail.   Brian noticed he had a text from him. Justin had told him he had a dinner meeting and would probably be busy until late into the evening.  


Brian started to pour more liquid into a glass but then set the glass down and brought the bottle to his mouth as his free hand went into his briefs and he began to stroke himself. He took another large swallowed and began stroking faster.  It just wasn’t the same without Sunshine. Brian’s mind started wandering to other options. He opened the drawer of his nightstand and saw a scarf. God, he had a hard orgasm every time he used one of those. Brian knotted one end of the scarf to the headboard. He wrapped the scarf around his neck and then tied the other end to his wrist.  He tried it out. If he moved his arm outward the scarf got tighter. If he brought his hand back up to his neck the pressure went away. Brian kept stroking himself and as he came closer to cumming he started putting his arm out to the edge of his bed.


Brian loosened and tightened the scarf as his excitement built.  Somewhere in the back of his mind he heard Brinn . He tried to stand up and lost his balance.  He could not get the scarf loose. He could not get back into the position he had been in and things went gray.



Becca went into the nursery and stroked Brinn’s back.  She went right back to sleep. Becca looked at the door to the master and decided she should see if Brian had made it to bed. She thought he may have passed out in a chair or even on the floor.  What she saw instead was Brian, laying naked on his bed with his face an odd purple color, and a scarf cutting off his air.


“Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. Brian!”  Becca ran to the bed and tried to get the scarf loose but it was too tight.  She realized it was his arm. She moved Brian’s hand closer to his head relieving the pressure.  She unwrapped the scarf and then flipped Brian to his back. She felt for a pulse and found a weak one.  She ran across the hall and grabbed her phone and called Peter.


“Becca, is this a sex call?”  Peter asked in a low sexy voice.


“Get up here, Brian, come now. Hurry!”


When Peter came through the door he found a shaking Becca next to a naked Brian on his bed. Peter saw the scarf attached to the headboard and figured out what had happened.


“Does he have a pulse?”


Becca nodded.  Her whole body was shaking.


“Brian, Uncle Brian!” Peter slapped his face lightly.  


“Peter, what are you doing?”


“What am I doing?  What the hell were you doing? Why the hell would you strangle yourself?  Becca, call an ambulance.”


“I don’t need an ambulance.   I just need better coordination.”  Brian chuckled trying to light the mood.


“Shut the fuck up, Brian, and cover your dick.”  Peter held Becca close. “Bex, he is just an asshole but he seems fine.”


“I hope to hell you are sober enough to get your daughter if she needs something because you scared Becca half to death and I refuse to leave her up here with you.”  Peter guided Becca out of the room. When they got to the steps Becca dropped onto one of the top steps and began crying uncontrollably.

Peter held Becca close.  “You saved him, Bex. Without you he would dead.  You were so amazing.”


“Pete?” Gus’ voice came from below.


“I’ll be right there, Gus.”


“Bex, let’s go downstairs. Can you do that?”  She nodded and stood up.


“Go to Gus.  Come up with a lie.  Don’t tell him the truth.  He can’t deal with that.”


Peter went down to Gus.  “I hear Becca crying. Is something wrong, Pete?”


Pete went over to Gus and put his arms around him, needing the support himself. “Becca just had a bad dream.  She does that sometimes and she was very scared. She will be fine but if you don’t need anything, I am going to go back to her.”


“I’m fine.  Tell Becca she’ll be fine.  My dad’s here. He won’t let anything happen to any of us.”


Peter bit his own lip wanting to say so much.  “Go back to sleep, Gus.” Peter left, pulling the door shut.


Peter had pulled his phone out as he went to the kitchen to find Becca. He put his arms around Becca who seemed much calmer. “Doing alright?”


“I’m fine.  It was just so horrible. His face…” She shivered. Noticing the phone she asked, “What are you doing with the phone?”


“I’m calling Justin.”


Becca pulled the phone from his hand.


“You can’t do that.”


“Pete can’t do what?”


They both turned to see Brian standing there.  Pete’s fist went up and he stepped toward him. Becca put a hand on his arm.  “Peter, don’t. Gus might hear and he already has questions.”


Brian repeated, “Pete can’t do what?”


“He can’t call Justin.”


“Hang on to her, Pete.  She is smart.”


“Justin doesn’t need to hear about that before flying home.  We will tell him then.” Becca said to Peter.


“Whoa, wait, Justin doesn’t need to know about this.”


Becca looked at Brian and continued. “Yes, he does.  He needs to know that your kids aren’t safe with you.  He needs to know you would rather get drunk and have good sex than be there for your kids.  He needs to know that.” She spat out the last words.


Peter looked at her in both shock and admiration.


Brian’s mouth had fallen open.  He then deflated, losing all his bravado.  “Becca, please, I’m sorry. Don’t tell Justin.  I was stupid to play around, I know it.”

“Almost killing yourself to jack off is a game? I’m sorry, Justin, but Brian had to get drunk and then kill himself because you weren’t there to give him a blow job?  Oh, maybe we should go tell Gus that’s what really happened.”


“Becca, you can’t do that. Gus has been through so much.  He is in SO much pain I can’t do anything about. You wouldn’t hurt him that way.”


Becca leaned into Peter, who had put an arm around her waist.


“Brian, sober up and take care of your daughter if she needs something. We won’t do anything until a civil hour but leave us alone.” Peter led Becca to the formal living room so they would be near Gus and sat down on the couch. He held Becca until she dozed off.


A couple hours later Becca woke up.  Peter had ended up with his head in her lap and she slid out, giving him a pillow and covering him up.  She went to the kitchen and started a pot of coffee. It was very early, barely 5:00 a.m. She had a test later today and since she couldn’t sleep she might as well try to study.  She tried to review her notes but her mind kept going to the master bedroom and Brian’s naked body lying lifeless. What if she hadn’t gone in there? What if… She jumped when a hand touched her shoulder.  She screamed in reflex, breaking away from the grasp.


“Sorry, Becca, I didn’t mean to…” Brian began to say as Peter came from behind and yanked Brian away from Becca and slammed him against the counter.


“Don’t touch her. She doesn’t want to be touched by you.” Peter didn’t know what he was saying.  He was just so mad at Brian he didn’t know what he was doing. He made a fist and drew it back. Brian didn’t flinch or try to pull away.  


‘When had Peter gotten taller than him?’ Brian wondered.  He closed his eyes and braced for impact but it didn’t come.  He opened his eyes to see Becca holding Peter’s hand.


“Peter, he just surprised me.  I didn’t hear him. Let me get you some coffee.  It is fresh.”


Becca poured a cup for Brian and for Peter. Becca handed one to Brian and he took a swallow.  It was hot and strong. As she handed the second cup to Pete she kissed him, long and sweet. Peter took a sip and looked at his uncle.  Keeping his voice low he said, “What the fuck were you thinking? Were you trying to kill yourself or did you just need want to cum with a bang. You Asshole.  What if you had killed yourself?”


Peter’s voice had started to rise and Becca rested her hand on his arm.  “You don’t want to wake Gus. The poor kid has enough stress right now. Why don’t you go shower and get ready for the day?”  She kissed him lightly. “I need to talk to Brian.”


After Peter left the kitchen Becca filled her cup and sat on the stool by the counter.  She pulled out a second one and Brian sat next to her. “Brian, I know you and I haven’t had a lot of real conversations, I mean personal conversations and yet I  know a lot about your past and I am sure you know some of mine.”


“Yes, Becca, Justin told me a little bit about it.  I am so sorry.”


“As much as I went through as a kid, I loved my mom because she was my mom.  She never created a real home for me but in her own way she loved me. And trust me, her boyfriends loved me over and over  No that’s not true. They fucked me over and over. I remember one one of them, I was about Gus’ age that would make me sit on his….sit on him and I would have to pull a scarf tight around his neck so he could have ‘more fun’ with me.  One time I pulled it a little too tight and he knocked me to the floor. I had to stay home from school for a week because of the bruises inside and out.” She took another swallow of coffee. She then looked deep into Brian’s eyes. “I love Peter and I love being accepted into this family.  It is the first time in my life that I had felt safe from the wicked world out there. But last night, some of the wicked creeped in. Brian, what if I hadn’t walked in? I can’t imagine Justin having to explain to Gus and Brinny…. Brian, you have a family that loves you so much. If I had died as a kid no one would have cared.  You have a world of people who love you.” She took a breath, “I am sorry. I know I am rambling but last night I dreamt Brinn was crying and you wrapping your arms around her and were just loving her and then you disappeared and she was sitting on the rug by herself crying.”


Brian had his elbows on the counter and his head in his hands.  “I am the asshole my dad said I was. I’m the degenerate my mother told me I was.  I am not fit to have a family like this. I don’t deserve any of you.” Brian ran his hands over his eyes to wipe away the tears.  


Before Brian could say a word Brinn’s sweet little voice came over the monitor. “Dad, come please. Dad?”


“I can get her, Brian.” Becca started to stand but he stopped her.


“I’ll get my daughter.” Brian looked at Becca and kissed her cheek.  “Thank you. If it wasn’t for you I couldn’t do that.”



Lucky arrived and went into Gus.  They both dredded today. Gus knew he had to change the bandages and that hurt so bad.  His hands seemed to be doing a little better but his toes were not good. Even he knew that.  “Good morning, Gus. Did you sleep well?”


“Pretty good.  Can you just do the bandages right away?  I just want to get it over with.”


“Let me give you your pain meds and then we will give them a few minutes to kick in.” He popped the pills in Gus’ mouth and held the glass with a straw up to his lips.  Gus swallowed. Lucky reached over and brushed Gus’ hair off his forehead. He helped Gus cleanup a bit after going to the bathroom. Gus was so embarrassed he needed that kind of help but Lucky would just talk about a movie he saw or what he did the night before so that helped a lot.  It would be terrible if he talked about it.


“Hands or feet first?”  


“Hands.”  Gus shut his eyes tight as Lucky cut off the bandages.  Gus winced as he pulled the layers off. Gus never watched so he really didn’t know what he did to get them off.


“Gus, why don’t you look.  They are doing well. I am going to send a picture into the doctor.  I think we will be able to let them unbandaged part of the time. The blisters have popped now and look like they are starting to heal. They really don’t look bad.”



Lucky put his arm around Gus’ shoulders and slowly Gus opened his eyes.  This was the first time he had seen them since he got to the hospital. He was so happy to see they looked like his own hands. They looked like the time he burnt his fingers but he was so glad they were getting better.  He reached around Lucky’s waist, careful not to hit his hands but hugged Lucky. Lucky instinctively kissed this loveable boy on the top of his head. “Just be careful. Let me take a picture here.” He took the picture and sent it.  “I will loosely bandage them again after I do your toes. How have they been?”


Just thinking about it made Gus shiver.  They really hurt all the time. Tears began forming in his eyes just thinking about it.  


“Let’s get this over with and then I will get you some breakfast and I brought a new game for us to try.” He ruffled Gus’ hair.


Gus felt something stir.  He really liked Lucky. He wondered if this was how it started with his dads. His dick was starting to think for itself and he wasn’t sure what to do about that, especially with his bad hands.


As Lucky started to cut off the bandages, Gus cried out in pain.  “I’m sorry, Buddy. I will move slower.”


“Lucky?” Gus sniffled, “Do you think you could sing that song for me? The one you sang last night?”


Gus tried to relax as Lucky’s words told him to heal.  Tears rolled down Gus’ cheeks and soon was sobbing as Lucky tried to be gentle as he bathed and then rewrapped the feet.  Lucky wiped away Gus’ tears. “I am sorry, sweet boy. You relax for a bit while I got check on breakfast.



Becca and Peter sat in the kitchen.  “Becca, we need to tell Justin what happened.”


“I know we do but I don’t know if over the phone is the best way to do it plus he will want to come right home and you and I both know this is going to really stir up something.” Peter looked around and saw the Christmas decorations that had started to appear right after Gus made it home.  “I have a feeling Christmas here isn’t going to be all that merry. I don’t see Justin forgetting this right away.”


Alice walked in the back door looking much better than when she had left 36 hours ago.  One look at Peter and Becca and she knew something had happened. “What happened? Is Gus alright?”


As she said that they all heard Gus cry out from his room.  “Changing the bandages?” Alice questioned and they nodded. “So why do the two of you look like you do?”


Becca started talking but soon Peter took it over because Becca wasn’t able to continue.  Alice put an arm around both of them. “Brian can be so reckless.” Alice said vehemently. “If I had one minute with that mother of his…..  Thank you, Becca. As frustrating as he can be I can’t imagine this family without him.”


“So do we let Justin know what happened? He has to know but do we wait until he is home or just tell him on the phone?”  Peter asked


“Brian needs to tell him.”


As if on cue Brian walked in with Brinn in his arms.  “Ally. Ally all better?”


“I am, Sweety.  How would you like to help me unpack?”


Brinn nodded and reached for Alice.


Lucky walked out and asked about breakfast and Becca told Alice she would take care of it.  “I’ll bring it in as soon as they are ready.”


“Thanks,” Lucky said as he walked back to spend time with Gus.


“Brian, you need to tell Justin.  If you want to do it privately pick him up at the airport.  Tell him on the way home. If you want to wait until you get home, that’s fine, too, but make whatever arrangements you think you need to.”


“What do you mean by that?”


“I mean, I don’t see Justin letting you stay here, Uncle Brian.  And I don’t think I blame him. I am sure Tony and John have a room but you better warn them.”


Brian’s whole body slumped.  He knew Peter was right. He texted John as he stood there just said he would need a room and explain later.  Brian’s eyes pleaded with Peter.


“Uncle Brian, I can’t say I understand you or even want to right now but I do love you.”


Becca walked over to Brian and hugged him tightly.  She said very softly, “I think I understand. Brian, stop listening to those voices in your head and listen to the one in your heart. Justin will come around.”


Brian stopped in to spend some time with Gus.  As he opened the door he saw Gus gazing at Lucky and he almost chuckled.  Gus had his first real boy crush. Lucky was a good looking young man but obviously Gus was far too young to be in a real relationship and it was very obviously Lucky was a grown man but he was glad to see Gus relaxed and as happy as he could be under the situation.  


“Hey, Dad, look at my fingers.  I can move them now. Lucky thinks by Christmas they should be as good as new.” Gus beamed.


“That is great news. How about the toes?” Brian looked at Gus’ face fall.  “Don’t ask.”


Lucky stepped up, “I sent photos to the specialist today.   He will tell us if Gus needs to go back in soon or if he can wait another week.”


“Thanks, Lucky.  Can I see you out in the hall for a minute?”


The men went out in the entry.  “Lucky, I am guessing you have noticed how Gus is looking at you.”


“I have, sir, and I am not encouraging it but if a little harmless puppy love makes Gus feel better I didn’t think there would be a problem.”


“There isn’t, Lucky.  Just be careful. There is going to be a major shake up around here in the next few days and Gus is going to need someone he can lean on and, let’s just say, oh, shit, I screwed up and I think I will be asked to move out.  I know I will be asked to get the hell out. Remind Gus how much I love him and I will come as much as I can.”


Lucky had a questioning look on his face. “Don’t ask, I’m just an idiot.” Lucky nodded and returned to Gus.  


Brian packed a bag, knowing Peter was right.  Justin would never let him stay here tonight. When Justin called he didn’t answer.  He couldn’t talk to him. Brian made an excuse for not answering the call in a text and verified he would pick him up.  Brian left early enough to stop by Kinney Inn with his bag and to talk to John.


Brian walked in and looked around the entry.  He hadn’t stopped by for a while and the place looked great with the decorations up.  John looked tired but very happy as he sat behind the desk with Matty in his arms. “Hey, Uncle Brian! What do you need the room for? Does Justin have someone flying in with him?”


Brian took Matty into his arms and sat behind the desk with John as he told him the whole story.  “Why am I always such a screw up. Why can’t I just enjoy my life when I have so much?”


“Because you’re a Kinney and we weren’t taught how to be happy with our life.” Claire walked around the corner and her features instantly softened when she saw her grandson. “What did you do this time, baby brother?”  She said it with a bit of an edge but yet some softness, too.


“Hi Claire. This little guy is beautiful, isn’t he?” Brian changed the subject.


“Oh, he stole my heart right away. I am so glad I was asked to help.”


“Well, I have to get to the airport.  Although Matty might be a good distraction I wouldn’t put him through that.  I will see you later.” He kissed John and then handed Matty to Claire and for some reason kissed her cheek. As he walked out the door Brian wondered if this is how someone going to be executed felt.  Justin was going to crucify him and he deserved it.



When Brian pulled up to the curb at the airport Justin was already waiting for him.  As Brian walked around the SUV Justin ran into his arms and they kissed. It was more than a kiss, it was a fusion, and as he picked up Justin’s bag and walked around the back a tear slipped out.  After putting the bag in the back, he took a deep breath and walked around to the driver’s side door.


Brian pulled out into traffic and started down the road.  Justin chatted on and on about the new book deal he had signed.  He talked about their old neighborhood and that he had stopped at Kinnetic NYC.  He finally quit talking and looked over at Brian in the dark car. “Hey, Baby, you are awfully quiet.” He reached over and took Brian’s hand, bringing it to his lips.


Brian snatched his hand back. “Don’t.  You are going to want to kill me in a few minutes so I can’t take your kindness right now.”


“Brian? What is it?”


“Sunshine, I am so sorry.  I have no excuses. I don’t deserve this family. I…….”


Justin interrupted.  “What did you do, Brian?”  


Brian took a deep breath.  “I used a scarf last night.”


“Brian!  You know what I think about that. It is too dangerous. You wouldn’t be telling me this if something didn’t happen.  What happened, Brian? The kids? Is everything alright?”


“I drank too much and then the scarf, I slipped, couldn’t get up.” Brian’s vision was almost too blurry to go on. He saw a rest stop ahead and pulled over.


“Brian, you are scaring me. What did you, Brian,tell me!”


“I lost my balance and couldn’t get in the right position and I couldn’t breath.”  He couldn’t look at Justin. Even in the dark he could tell Justin was processing all this.


“And Alice was gone and you were watching the kids. And you thought this was a good time to jack off!  You couldn’t wait until tonight if you wanted to play games? You had to risk our kids….”


Brian started driving again.  He just needed to get them home.


“Peter was staying close to Gus. I…. Brinn was asleep in her room. I know I shouldn’t have been drinking like that.  I….”


“What the hell, Brian?  It was one thing to try it when you were 30 but you have a family now.  You have kids that adore you. You have a husband who loved you. You couldn’t wait for 24 hours?”


“Sunshine, I don’t know what to say.  I know I was an idiot. I know I would have….Becca came in to check on me when I didn’t respond to Brinn whimpering.”


“Brinn needed you and you couldn’t…..”


“That is when my hand slipped and….”


“Never mind.  Just shut the fuck up.  Just get me home and then get the hell out of my sight.  I don’t want to see you. I don’t want to talk to you, I don’t want to…..”  Justin thought, ‘I don’t want to love you, but I do.’


As they pulled up to the house Justin said, “Don’t bother getting out.  You aren’t staying here. On second thought, you have to switch vehicles.  I need the SUV for OUR children. Take the ‘Vette. That’s better for a single man anyway.  And here I thought I could trust you with our kids.”


Brian got out of the SUV and looked over at Justin as he pulled his luggage out of the back.  “Sunshine, I…”


“I know, you’re sorry.  I am not disagreeing at all.” Justin walked into the house and slammed the door.


Justin pressed his back against the door as he heard the ‘Vette spring to life and pull away.  He didn’t know if he was heartbroken or angry but he didn’t have time to deal with it right now.  He wanted to see his children.


“Oh my Daddy, my Daddy.  Miss you!” Brinn ran to Justin and he picked her up holding her tight. Her little arms wrapped tightly around his neck.  She looked at the garage door and putting her hands out to her side she said, “Where other Dad?” She looked confused as she shrugged a bit.”


Alice was close behind Brinn.  Alice and Justin made eye contact and with a nod Justin was sure Alice knew what happened.


“How is your brother, Baby Girl?”


“See my Gussy.”


“You sure have a lot of things that are yours. Let’s go see him.”  As they walked into Gus’ room his eyes were closed. Justin right away noticed the change in bandaging on his hands which he hoped was a good thing.  He leaned over and kissed Gus. “Hey, Son, I’m back.”


“Dad. glad you’re back.  I missed you but Lucky did a great job.   He sings to me to help with the pain. It really works. He is really a good guy. I….” Gus stopped talking, almost saying what Justin could already see.  Gus was in love or thought he was. That’s all he needed. He had two weeks to Christmas. His son was still immobile and how was he going to explain Brian’s absence,  not to mention his daughter was already asking for her dad.


“Goodnight, son.  I am a little tired.  I’ll see you in the morning.”


“Love you, Dad.  See you in the morning.”  Justin kissed him and left the room with Brinn.


He took Brinn upstairs and got her ready for bed.  He read her a story and held her close, indulging himself by rocking her to sleep as the tears rolled.  How could he stay with someone he couldn’t trust with their children? He stood and laid Brinn down in her bed.  He randomly thought they needed to change this out to a toddler bed soon.


Justin barely made it out of the room when his phone rang.  He looked at the screen, “Hey, Mom.”


“Hi Justin,  Alice thought you might need someone to talk to. Is Brian out of town?”


“I am so glad you called, Mom…..”  without going into detail Justin told Jenn that Brian was irresponsible with the kids and that he wasn’t staying there right now. “What do I do, Mom?”


“Justin, honey, only you can know what to do.  It sounds like you have three choices. You can’t forget what he did and he doesn’t come back, you take him back but make him earn your trust again, or you take him back knowing Brian will never change.  Your husband has never been an easy man but love is never easy.”


“Thanks for calling, Mom.  I am really tired. I’ll talk to you soon.”


“How about I come to see my amazing granddaughter and injured grandson tomorrow?  You can use the time to think, or work, or talk to Brian.”


“Thanks, Mom.  See you tomorrow.  I love you.”


Justin stripped off his clothes and crawled into bed. As he laid there, images of what could have been tragic event went through his mind.  Brian, how can I love you and want you out of my life all at the same time. Why do I need you so bad? Tears of heartache and lonely flowed out of his eyes as he drifted off to a restless sleep.