- Text Size +

CHAPTER 10 - SOME BAD THINGS COME IN THREES TOO!


EOHOPS HOUSE - AFTERNOON, TWO DAYS LATER

 

MATTHIAS

 

I can hear voices as I come down the stairs, one is the berk and the other is a woman. I clear my throat outside the slightly ajar lounge door then knock.

 

“Come in!” The berk calls out, and I step inside then frown slightly. “Hi, Matthias, this is my dear friend, Lindsay Peterson. Lindsay, this is Matthias Harriman. He’s my host until I find a job and somewhere else to live.”

 

“Nice to meet you, Lindsay, and you know what I said, Michael, there is no rush. I am happy to have you here as long as you need to be.” His smile almost wraps itself around his head. “Have you offered her refreshments, Michael? If not, I am happy to make it, as I am going to have a coffee anyway.”

 

“That would be perfect. Thank you, Matthias.”

 

“Great, how'd you have it?”

 

“Cream and one sugar, please.”

 

“Great, won't be long. In the meantime, why not show her around your home?”

 

“Yeah, come on, Lindsay, let me show you my home.” He orders, and as he waves her ahead of him, his sexy look down my body leaves me cold. “To paraphrase the young lady in Airplane, this time I will have mine black...like my men. Won't be long.”

 

I have never been so dumbstruck and repulsed in my life!

 

GUEST ROOM - TWO MINUTES LATER

 

LINDSAY

 

“Well, you certainly have landed on your feet here.” I smile tightly.

 

“Yeah, gorgeous man, gorgeous house, finally a bit of luck!” He lies on the bed, affording me a view of his stomach as his top rides up slightly. “He is so fit! And there has been no mention of a partner either.”

 

“Michael, you need be careful there. I am sure there is a non fraternization clause in these things.”

 

“So what if there is? How would they even know?” He sits up into his elbows and grins. “I would love to find out if it is true about that.”

 

“Still say you should not go there.” I sit next to him and sigh. “Now, I want you to be absolutely calm when I tell you this, okay? Do you remember when we went to New York and we woke up in bed together?” His face twists, then his eyes widen. “What? What have you just remembered?!”

 

“I...I always carried a condom with me, in...in my wallet. When I checked my wallet it was gone.”

 

“Oh god! Are you absolutely sure we did that?!” I fight the urge to shudder.

 

“Yeah.” He swallows hard. “We were both naked, so we must have done.” He stands up. “Is this going to make things weird between us? I want us to remain friends.”

 

“Weird doesn't come close. Michael, either the condom broke or you didn't put it on properly because I got pregnant…” He rushes to shut the door before leaning against it facing me looking pale. “...and when I found out it was too late to do anything about it.”

 

“Do anything about...you would've had an abortion?!” He looks slightly hurt. “So what happened to it? Are you after support? I am not in a position to…”

 

“Michael, listen. I gave birth to a girl and gave her up immediately for adoption.”

 

“Did you put my name on the certificate?!”

 

“No I didn't.”

 

“Oh, thank goodness!” He almost slides to the floor in relief, much to my surprise.

 

“Why?!”

 

“I had some time to think and I am not cut out for fatherhood. I don't miss Jenny.  I know how mean that sounds, but our relationship had deteriorated long before my rights were taken away.”

 

I consider what he has said and have to concede that he is right. They were barely speaking before we moved back to the USA. But this next bit of news might change his mind.

 

“Have you seen the rest of them since you’ve been out?” He comes back to sit on the bed and his face twists in fury. “I went to see Ma. She has moved Carl in, and is chucking my meager possessions out. Then I found out that Ben and Robin have moved in together and he has formally adopted that psycho, and moved the banshee into the old house!”

 

“Wow! Well, Mel and Lucy are getting married, apparently. As has my mother!”

 

“Did you go to see Gus? Who did your mother marry? She's a but too old for that, isn't she?”

 

“No, I was summoned by the Ghetto Queen. Gus and Jenny were there and took great pleasure in telling me.”

 

“What were you seeing her for?!” He scoffs. “After all the trouble she put us through!”

 

I smile as I know I have him where I want him. “Well, turns out that she adopted a little girl…” I pause. “...our little girl. Michael, she has our daughter. Now, I don't have rights to her, but you do and I think you should fight for them! Fight for her!”

 

“There is no way that witch is bringing up my daughter!” He explodes as he leaps up. “It was bad enough that Jenny admired her so much, but a little mind like that...no, just no!”

 

“What are you going to do?”

 

“What do you think?! I am going to fight for my rights then take my daughter back!”

 

“That will cost money; money you don't have. But that's where my new stepfather comes in.”

 

“Your stepfather? Why?”

 

“Because he also hates her.”

 

LINDON AND SLICK’S HOME - TWO DAYS LATER

 

LOUNGE

 

LINDON

 

My hand shakes as I lower the tray. Debs takes it off me with a smile. “Sorry, I just can’t begin to tell you how happy I am, no we are. He’s not her father.”

 

“Nope she’s a Novotny/Grassi free zone…” Danny chuckles and takes a sip of wine. “...I have to say though, I would’ve liked to have been a grandfather.”

 

“You are, trust me you are.” Slick leans across and kisses his cheek. Those are the first words she has uttered since an excitable Debs, Carl and Danny came over and told us the good news. She immediately called Brian, Justin and Ems. “Boys, stop fighting over her.” She chides Ems and Brian as they check their watches to see how long Justin has been holding Annabee. “Now the first thing we have to do is find the true father.”

 

“And how the hell do we do that?” Carl hiccups...seems he started a bit early!

 

“Now that I don’t know, but let’s worry about that tomorrow, okay?” She replies.

 

“Yes. Definitely tomorrow.” Brian agrees. “Now give me my goddaughter, Justin!”

 

UPMC MONTEFIORE - LATE EVENING

 

DAVID CAMERON'S OFFICE

 

DAVID

 

I can feel the anticipation flowing through my body. I look at Lindsay and her fellow convict, Michael. I have some considerable cache and have been finding more and more out about how Slick Phoenix came to be in this nest. I am livid! How dare she think she can remain as one of us! And after what they’ve told me, I have no problem causing her misery.

 

“So, Lindsay, you will handle your Mother, agreed?” She nods, but again has that sinister smile she had the day our marriage was consummated. “Okay, I will help you, but on one condition.”

 

“Which is?” Michael leans forward eagerly.

 

“I was out of commission for a week because of her. And after the way they both behaved towards me at the wedding reception, some payback to them is also due. So I want seven days and nights with Justin, and I want his darling husband to watch!”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be constructive and kind if reviewing. Thanks.